Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Posted the 07 ex250 this weekend and sold it last night.

Fantastic transaction. Guy sent me an email saying he was serious, arranged to meet, offered good green cash and did the paperwork. Guy getting back on after 15 years (previously had a sportster) and buying a 250 / taking the MSF. As part of price negotiation, I agreed to ride the bike 25 miles to his house so we wouldn't have to load it into his pickup.

Here's the kicker: bike started running like dog poo poo on the last couple miles. Low power, couldn't hold idle. I told the guy and said it reminded me of when my other 250 had bad gas. He said ok, I'll check it out, and I left. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Safari 28L white tank to finish the color swap from yellow. Where I’m moving (AZ), this will probably be an important component of its dirt clothes.

The dirt wheels otoh have been soaking every day in PB blaster to get the old loving disc and sprockets off.

I’m probably going to be posting a sale ad for the original yellow plastics, metal tank, and the oversized yellow plastic tank I ruined. I’d take a small white tank for street in trade probs.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Everyone here was right.

New fork springs, new shock, properly weighted for me on my ex500. New fuckin' bike. I cannot wait to take this up to the mountains next weekend.

I knew it would make cornering easier and make the whole thing feel more stable, but no one mentioned it was easier to do clutch-ups with proper suspension. :sotw:

spouse fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 10, 2018

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I'm doing a week in Tasmania with 3 friends next week so did a few bits.

-Serviced it
-Fixed the steering which was knocked out after slipping and low siding on slippery tram tracks
-Replaced heated grips as they stopped working after the fall
-Stuck crank case shields on as my gear pedal nearly punched a hole in it when I fell
-installed a 5v USB socket
-barkbusters
-got a front guard brace so I can carry a tool bag on it
-got rid of the broken left mirror and replaced the right one with a less ugly one
-jimmied up an exhaust heat shield out of an old exhaust shroud
-installed a rear rack with rotopax mount and a 1.75 gallon can
-bought a set of cheap water proof Rjays soft saddle bags that are secured under the rotopax

Edit
I wished I had the time or money to buy better tyres as I don't like the stock Dunlops

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 13, 2018

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I was getting excess pressure in the cooling and oil systems(water pushing through seals on the former, oil pushing out of the check hole on the latter) after a 5 minute warmup, and water was mixing with the oil as a result. The internet told me it was a head gasket, so off it comes.

Also gonna refresh the top end while I'm at it, as I have no idea how many hours are actually on the bike.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 15, 2018

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Revvik posted:

Safari 28L white tank to finish the color swap from yellow. Where I’m moving (AZ), this will probably be an important component of its dirt clothes.

The dirt wheels otoh have been soaking every day in PB blaster to get the old loving disc and sprockets off.

I’m probably going to be posting a sale ad for the original yellow plastics, metal tank, and the oversized yellow plastic tank I ruined. I’d take a small white tank for street in trade probs.

Really like how this looks. The all white really suits. Slightly jealous of the monster tank, I'd love one for my 650r, though 21l is quite enough for now. On that note..

- Entire bottle of muc-off for winter crud build up.
- Resprayed side panels in white, luggage rack and exhaust guard in matte black. They all had started to look a bit tatty.
- Deliberated on trying to colour match the front shield to the acerbis race red of the guards/tank but decided on white, too. Big improvement of the slightly wrong red before.
- Replaced front headlamp.
- Cleaned carburettor of some red gunk that had clogged up the bottom and caused the entire fuel tank to drained out of the overflow, into a drain, and caused my entire building to stink of petrol. Also installed a fuel line filter: suspect there's a dodgy lining on the inside of the acerbis tank and it's causiing the carburettor cack.
- Handlebar phone/GPS mount installed.

Next week-

- New front indicators, they keep burning out.
- Respray side stand.
- Fit pillion foot pegs for SO.

Sometime-

- Strengthen subframe for future pillion/luggage for motorventuring.
- Get custom seat for long distance comfort.

Wall of text due to free time and 2 consecutive hours of sunlight for the first time this year.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What year is that? That color scheme looks amazing!!

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.
First service on my R1200GS. Supposed to be done at 600 miles but I had a little bit more than 900 when I made it in, oh well.

Shittest day in London in a while, too -- loving snow this morning

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.
Also, could use a goon garage somewhere in the Greater London area. Preferably owned by someone who knows how to take off the side plastics so I can install my aux lights.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Finally finished restoring the exhaust on the DR.
Header half cleaned.

After an hour on the wire wheel.

Painted with header paint and baked at about 500F for a while.

Last night I stayed up late and fabbed a coupler, wrapped the header, and got it all reassembled. Today I took it for a couple hour ride.

The new can is a DG O-series, an upgrade from the ratty old Supertrapp. It's fuckin loud and has a crackle I don't like. Next will be installing a quiet core and maybe a few fender washers in the baffle. On the other hand, the bike now idles smoother and off idle acceleration is a little less on/off.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ooh a 350! I like the 3 piece swingarms on those.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Is that sarcasm?

Cause it seems like a weak point.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think it’s cool because it can aid in maintenance and it’s something no one else does. I have never heard of anyone with problems with that swingarm so I’d imagine it’s just fine. also Suzuki supremacy

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That DR350 looks amazing. The header and wrap is a huge improvement. I'd love to do something like that for the DR but :effort:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coydog posted:

That DR350 looks amazing. The header and wrap is a huge improvement. I'd love to do something like that for the DR but :effort:

I got enough left to do another header that I'd give you real cheap. Took a few hours, maybe 5 if you count the header scrubbing, painting, and baking. And thanks for the compliment. I like how it looks too, though I usually sneer at header wrap.

Re: the swingarm, I've never had to do any maintenance on it, but Procycle sells a full bearing kit for it pretty cheap. I'm thinking about doing all the bearings eventually, so maybe I'll learn something about the design. Does the 650 have the same design?

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 18, 2018

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What year is that? That color scheme looks amazing!!

Cheers! 2018

It's so much fun

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Mar 22, 2018

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'm gonna go to Dockercon in SF in June and that's a pretty nice time to cruise down the OR and CA coast so I dug out and dusted off the Futura. Started reassembling the dials after I had things apart to inspect all the sensors and relays. I learned that if I just unhook the battery from the bike over the winter, it stays pretty charged up even without a tender; only took like 10 minutes to top up with a Jr.

The loving tank changed shape from our delicious ethanol gas so I'll have to wrestle that back on... my other thought if that fails is to shave the rubber mounts at the rear of the tank a few mm to line the screw holes back up.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 26, 2018

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.
During the winter I replaced the banged-up/scratched red paint with (an admittedly amateur) white paint job.
I also de-chromed most of what I could do easily.

Replaced seven billion stripped/over-torqued fasteners. I mean what the hell is it with people? Tightening bolts isn't a strength competition.

Fixed a lot of minor aesthetic stuff (scratches, stains, drops of resin) left from the previous owner.

I'm not going to put any branding back on, I like it anonymous like that.

Also got a new rear tire and a matching white helmet. Probably our weather will allow me to rid within the next two-three weeks.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Is that the 599?

Looks good in white, I don't think I've ever seen a white Hornet.

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Is that the 599?

Looks good in white, I don't think I've ever seen a white Hornet.

It's a 2006 cb919. They didn't make 'em white as far as I know.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That looks pretty tidy. People are idiots and think poo poo is gonna fall off unless everything is welded into place with friction alone.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Slavvy posted:

That looks pretty tidy. People are idiots and think poo poo is gonna fall off unless everything is welded into place with friction alone.

Hello I'm nsaP and I own a fz6. Every bolt gets loctite because everything does fall off unless welded into place.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sure but do you then do one up so tight it snaps off, leave the broken stump in there assuming the other bolts will do fine without it, then tighten the others the barest minimum less needed to prevent them snapping?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Nah I'd just sell the bike.

sucka!

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
When I changed the sprocket on my SV whoever did it before me used red loctite. It was awful. Had to stuff a chunk of wood in the rear and sit on the bike with a cheater bar. Almost ate poo poo when it broke free.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

have you since learned that red loctite is released by heating it up?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah sure and this works on paper but when the nut/bolt in question is right next to an oil seal and a powder coated engine case and gently caress knows what else it becomes impossible in practice.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
maybe not if you own a dab rig

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I had to google what that even is. Typical American consumerism coming up with a product nobody actually needs; just use a camping stove and some old butter knives like good honest people you bourgeois cunts.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

America has a proud tradition of snake oils. (Extracted via distiller-modified dab rigs)

Perhaps my book "You Won't Believe How Americans Are Getting You To Buy Their poo poo Now (OMG)" might shed some light on the subject. Available everywhere circled in red with a big arrow pointing at it.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Sagebrush posted:

I have, yes. I didn’t know it at the time and even if I did I’m not sure I would have assumed they used the red poo poo. I just thought it was stuck on there real good, or maybe they used the blue stuff.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Tried to get my wife's bike started today with no luck. I did the usual winterization with stabil, an oil change, etc. before it was put away a couple of years ago, but it hasn't been run since.

Anybody want an '89 Hawk GT that's gonna need a carb cleaning, a new chain, probably a few new seals, and new tires (tires on it have <2k miles of use but are 5+ years old and probably flat spotted from sitting)? I'm only half kidding - I don't really have the time or patience to gently caress with it and I'd rather someone be riding it.

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 2, 2018

chicagobutters
Sep 7, 2015

nsaP posted:

maybe not if you own a dab rig

I went to the head shop to buy a crack pipe in order to loosen the rear plate bracket on my VFR. The factory Loctite still would not budge. I ultimately had to use a Dremel to cut the plastic around the bolt.

chicagobutters fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 3, 2018

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy posted:

Yeah sure and this works on paper but when the nut/bolt in question is right next to an oil seal and a powder coated engine case and gently caress knows what else it becomes impossible in practice.

It works very well in practice when the bolt in question is your side stand bolt, which fastens right into the engine case, and your engine is happy at 400f.

What doesn't work, as a result, is your side stand.

e: Bought a new used ECM for the Mille today. Someday I will figure out what the wiring issue is but in the mean time, it's probably a good plan to start stockpiling replacement parts because Piaggio is trying hard to kill support for the old v-twins.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 3, 2018

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jazzzzz posted:

Tried to get my wife's bike started today with no luck. I did the usual winterization with stabil, an oil change, etc. before it was put away a couple of years ago, but it hasn't been run since.

Anybody want an '89 Hawk GT that's gonna need a carb cleaning, a new chain, probably a few new seals, and new tires (tires on it have <2k miles of use but are 5+ years old and probably flat spotted from sitting)? I'm only half kidding - I don't really have the time or patience to gently caress with it and I'd rather someone be riding it.

Yes? PM me if you ever feel serious about this. I'd love to overhaul it and bring it back to spec and love it forever etc etc. The Hawk is on my dream bike list, for sure.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jazzzzz posted:

I would in a heartbeat but I don't think I'm close (WI). The problem is usually that the battery gets worn down cranking the starter over because there is no fuel in the bowls, assuming they were drained before winterizing and the petcock isn't leaking. If that's the case the carbs should be clean. You can prime the system by jumping the fuel relay with a wire which will fill the bowls without having to crank the starter, but if it's been two years I would drain that fuel and start fresh.

Coydog posted:

Yes? PM me if you ever feel serious about this. I'd love to overhaul it and bring it back to spec and love it forever etc etc. The Hawk is on my dream bike list, for sure.

Do it, I can help you. Hawks are really easy to bring back from the dead. Neither of mine were running when I bought them and now run great, and I can barely tie my own shoelaces!

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I'll buy it if sagebrush gives me his dash

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Oh man I forgot about that. That thing is legit and sagebrush is the best supernerd on the forum

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Gorson posted:

I would in a heartbeat but I don't think I'm close (WI). The problem is usually that the battery gets worn down cranking the starter over because there is no fuel in the bowls, assuming they were drained before winterizing and the petcock isn't leaking. If that's the case the carbs should be clean. You can prime the system by jumping the fuel relay with a wire which will fill the bowls without having to crank the starter, but if it's been two years I would drain that fuel and start fresh.

Do it, I can help you. Hawks are really easy to bring back from the dead. Neither of mine were running when I bought them and now run great, and I can barely tie my own shoelaces!

I should have added "a new battery" to the list of poo poo it will need. The battery was indeed toast because somehow the goddamned tender harness slipped off the posts (I was lazy and used the gator clip lead instead of one with ring terminals - lesson learned).

I have a spare car battery that DID manage to stay on the battery tender, and just jumpered it to the bike to try and get it started. I managed to flood it while cranking, so the bowls have gas in them, but it still never fired up. I gave up after ~10 minutes of intermittent cranking because I didn't want to burn out the starter. Next step is draining the bowls and tank and getting some fresh gas in there, but I can pretty much guarantee the carbs will need cleaning before it's going to run. Last time the carbs were off was probably 10 years ago, and with my luck that means the boots are rotting and will need to be replaced, etc. etc.

I'm in Cincinnati - if you have a trailer and want a project bike, come and get it. I will gladly take pictures and point out every little thing possibly wrong with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jazzzzz posted:

I'm in Cincinnati - if you have a trailer and want a project bike, come and get it. I will gladly take pictures and point out every little thing possibly wrong with it.

Texted you. It would be fun to do all that, as well as refresh the suspension, flush brakes, and catch up on all sorts of other things.

And also the SageGauge. Sagebrush is a national treasure.