Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm tempted to stop by the soon-to-be-former TRU near me and buy a Lego set, just for old time's sake.

Don't - liquidators jack up the prices then discount them from the jacked up rates to entice people to pay more than they would have if there wasn't a liquidation fire sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

And for Lego in particular, Lego will give the company a full refund so they'll only mark down sets if they don't want to bother sending them back.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
In the case of TRU LEGO was apparently requesting most of their inventory to be returned to them anyways.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Liquidations sales are good if you need to buy shelves and fixtures and poo poo but are terrible for just about everything else.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Motronic posted:

Your quote applies to both cities equally as well.

Yeah but Philly’s not literally built in the middle of the desert at climate change ground zero

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Blockbuster is closing one of their last locations in Alaska.

http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/South-Anchorage-Blockbuster-set-to-close-478433393.html

This goes to show how far behind AK is in every sense of the modern world.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

cis autodrag posted:

Leave the northeast sometime. Most cities in Wisconsin have farm fields dotted throughout.

Just because some place with 500 people calls itself a "city" doesn't it make it so - their residents also consider a man made out of wax and lovely ham sandwiches a good governor.

KiteAuraan posted:

Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the nation and has numerous farmland areas within city limits. Even more if you count the entire metropolitan area. An outlier yes, but it's not unknown.

Phoenix is just a pile of poo poo development haphazardly assembled, full of terrible people. It's at least good that a lot of the eventual development area was put within city limits because hypothetically a good city government could use that for good development but as it stands they've barely done so.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I breezed through a TRU outlet looking for board games and they didn't have any. Probably should have done something constructive like make a vaporwave video.

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Blockbuster is closing one of their last locations in Alaska.

http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/South-Anchorage-Blockbuster-set-to-close-478433393.html

This goes to show how far behind AK is in every sense of the modern world.

In Alaska we say howdy-do
In L.A we say yo
They'll say it in Alaska too
In twenty years or so.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

fishmech posted:

Just because some place with 500 people calls itself a "city" doesn't it make it so - their residents also consider a man made out of wax and lovely ham sandwiches a good governor.

Phoenix is just a pile of poo poo development haphazardly assembled, full of terrible people. It's at least good that a lot of the eventual development area was put within city limits because hypothetically a good city government could use that for good development but as it stands they've barely done so.

You realize that Wisconsin has actual cities right? Or does a mid-size city like Madison not count? I live in the Twin Cities area in Minnesota, and same poo poo here. Tons of cities have actual farm land; especially the outer ring suburbs. This is especially so because those outer-ring suburbs rely on buying out that very farmland to actually expand. And those aren't 500 population stuff either; we're talking 10s of thousands pushing up towards 100k.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

If the population is below a couple million it's a village, possibly a township

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Raldikuk posted:

You realize that Wisconsin has actual cities right? Or does a mid-size city like Madison not count? I live in the Twin Cities area in Minnesota, and same poo poo here. Tons of cities have actual farm land; especially the outer ring suburbs. This is especially so because those outer-ring suburbs rely on buying out that very farmland to actually expand. And those aren't 500 population stuff either; we're talking 10s of thousands pushing up towards 100k.

If you're an "outer ring suburb" you're not much of a city, bro. You're... an outer ring suburb of a city.

Also when I go look at actual Madison, most of the farmland within the city is part of UW Madison's agricultural research stations. And a lot of farmland that appears to be in Madison is in fact just over the border of the city, often with the border of Madison's annexations being just at the edge of actively cultivated fields.

PS: If you have "tens of thousands" of residents that's not a city. It's not 4th millenium BC anymore, we got iron now. No one is impressed by your lovely temple or your broke rear end priest-king.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

It isn't a city if it doesn't have a cathedral. :colbert:

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

fishmech posted:

If you're an "outer ring suburb" you're not much of a city, bro. You're... an outer ring suburb of a city.

Also when I go look at actual Madison, most of the farmland within the city is part of UW Madison's agricultural research stations. And a lot of farmland that appears to be in Madison is in fact just over the border of the city, often with the border of Madison's annexations being just at the edge of actively cultivated fields.

PS: If you have "tens of thousands" of residents that's not a city. It's not 4th millenium BC anymore, we got iron now. No one is impressed by your lovely temple or your broke rear end priest-king.

Then please enlighten us on your definition of city. Apparently a city of 70k isn't a city because 1) it doesn't have enough people 2) it has other cities nearby. Both are absurd, no?

Also lol at all the dancing about who owns or uses Madison's farmland, you realize that is indeed admitting that it has farmland? So now you need to try and argue that either Madison is also not a city, or that farmland doesn't actually satisfy the definition of farmland.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Oh I was wrong he IS going to write thousands of words about what a city is and isn’t in his addled brain. Sick. I love it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Raldikuk posted:

Then please enlighten us on your definition of city. Apparently a city of 70k isn't a city because 1) it doesn't have enough people 2) it has other cities nearby. Both are absurd, no?

Also lol at all the dancing about who owns or uses Madison's farmland, you realize that is indeed admitting that it has farmland? So now you need to try and argue that either Madison is also not a city, or that farmland doesn't actually satisfy the definition of farmland.

Any shitheap that calls itself an outer ring suburb definitely isn't a city. Also yeah pretty much nowhere under 100k even begins to count unless it's some poo poo like you're Iceland and 100k people means 1/3 of your whole country. People from the upjumped suburban sprawl of America kinda need to accept that it's not impressive that you have both an Arby's AND a Subway AND a local theater troupe who plays one weekend a month in the high school gym, you know?

It's a tiny bit of farmland that's almost entirely owned by a university. It's thus not a bunch of available leased farmland someone's going to go around.

But yeah Madison's a shitheap like the rest of its whole area. Ruled by the ham sandwich golem the Kochs anointed.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

fishmech posted:

Any shitheap that calls itself an outer ring suburb definitely isn't a city. Also yeah pretty much nowhere under 100k even begins to count unless it's some poo poo like you're Iceland and 100k people means 1/3 of your whole country. People from the upjumped suburban sprawl of America kinda need to accept that it's not impressive that you have both an Arby's AND a Subway AND a local theater troupe who plays one weekend a month in the high school gym, you know?

It's a tiny bit of farmland that's almost entirely owned by a university. It's thus not a bunch of available leased farmland someone's going to go around.

But yeah Madison's a shitheap like the rest of its whole area. Ruled by the ham sandwich golem the Kochs anointed.

That's a great list of exclusions. What's your definition?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Raldikuk posted:

That's a great list of exclusions. What's your definition?

New York City is the best one on Earth, what's your block of tract homes got to argue for it? Really you're not even worth considering if there's no non-antenna structure at least 550 feet high in it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

fishmech posted:

generally the statutory legal concept of city is related to the incorporation of an administrative division in a state or province; it is highly dependent on the area of incorporation and the amount of responsibilities and governing authority and not necessarily population dependent

this is entirely separate from whatever colloquial definition of a city that you've cooked up

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

yes but have you considered only coastal areas count as cities?

:thunk:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

exploded mummy posted:

generally the statutory legal concept of city is related to the incorporation of an administrative division in a state or province; it is highly dependent on the area of incorporation and the amount of responsibilities and governing authority and not necessarily population dependent

this is entirely separate from whatever colloquial definition of a city that you've cooked up

Re: whatever garbage suburb you're trying to defend:

Stacking some people together doesn't make you a city, and merely being incorporated really doesn't - for instance Canada often just requires that you have a few thousand people across the area in question to have "city" status while the residents are well aware they aren't living in a city.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Fishmech I posit that Wilmington, Delaware, qualifies as a city under all the most stringent definitions.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

fishmech posted:

Re: whatever garbage suburb you're trying to defend:

Stacking some people together doesn't make you a city, and merely being incorporated really doesn't - for instance Canada often just requires that you have a few thousand people across the area in question to have "city" status while the residents are well aware they aren't living in a city.

Boston is a garbage suburb?

Wow that's harsh.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Fishmech I posit that Wilmington, Delaware, qualifies as a city under all the most stringent definitions.

It's an overgrown office park. It's basically the same population as Cherry Hill, only instead of the big mall there's more stubby offices.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

fishmech posted:

It's an overgrown office park. It's basically the same population as Cherry Hill, only instead of the big mall there's more stubby offices.

It has a condensed downtown, it has history going back to the 17th century.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

exploded mummy posted:

Boston is a garbage suburb?

Wow that's harsh.

every city east of the mississippi is a suburb of New York City, every city west of the rockies is a suburb of Los San Frangelego and every city in between is a suburb of Chicago.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It has a condensed downtown, it has history going back to the 17th century.

17th century history is nothing special in the area. My hometown was founded in 1677 and was once a provincial/colonial and state capital, still has a condensed downtown - it's just been a small town and then a suburb ever since the late 19th century though.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Hometown? Sounds like a homevillage based on that description lmao

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Maybe even a home-hamlet lmbo

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Hometown? Sounds like a homevillage based on that description lmao

Yeah it's pretty small time.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Americans can't organise cities anyway.

I'd lived in the USA for over a year before I realised the city I'm in is not just one city administratively, but 4-5 tiny 'cities' clustered around one actual city which is unable to annex them because they're on the other side of county lines and one is over a state line, while the actual city annexes towns and suburbs further and further west without filling the missing gaps in the middle, creating awful border gore because 'those people' might not vote for the current mayor so they're intentionally left beyond technical city limits.

It's a clusterfuck that makes no sense.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

i am harry posted:

It isn't a city if it doesn't have a cathedral. :colbert:

Ah yes, the great city of St Asaph, population 3500

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

DC Murderverse posted:

every city east of the mississippi is a suburb of New York City, every city west of the rockies is a suburb of Los San Frangelego and every city in between is a suburb of Chicago.

Chicago is east of the Mississippi.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Your metropolis sucks and is irrelevant.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hungry posted:

Americans can't organise cities anyway.

I'd lived in the USA for over a year before I realised the city I'm in is not just one city administratively, but 4-5 tiny 'cities' clustered around one actual city which is unable to annex them because they're on the other side of county lines and one is over a state line, while the actual city annexes towns and suburbs further and further west without filling the missing gaps in the middle, creating awful border gore because 'those people' might not vote for the current mayor so they're intentionally left beyond technical city limits.

this clusterfuck is by design, to entrench structural racism and segregation

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

SimonCat posted:

Chicago is east of the Mississippi.

Yeah; hence why Dallas is a better choice

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Hungry posted:

Let's be honest here that's an accurate description of humanity in general.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Yeah; hence why Dallas is a better choice

Dallas is never the right choice.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Hungry posted:

I'd lived in the USA for over a year before I realised the city I'm in is not just one city administratively, but 4-5 tiny 'cities' clustered around one actual city
I feel like the LA metro area and San Diego are the same. Maybe the NY Borough system or something like that needs to be present in more cities.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
New York City was forward thinking via outright seizing 5 counties (in two cases by splitting off a chunk of an existing county along existing town borders). This sudden burst method in 1898 minimized issues with pesky exclaves and enclaves and stick-in-the-mud towns demanding to stay independent despite being surrounded by the rest of the city trying to take them.

Similarly, Philly did quite well to seize and merge the county to the city and start from a fairly respectable size for a county. Really they didn't seize enough as it turns out, but this wouldn't show up as an issue til over 100 years later, you can't have perfect planning that far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
What happening this thre... Oh, fishmech happening this thread.