Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

gnoma posted:

It owns and far outclasses every other way to get around in the game, actually.

I mean there's Prawn Suit, which feels awful and slow, and then there's Prawn Suit with a Grappling Arm, which makes you goddamn spiderman and allows the Prawn to go anywhere it wants within crush depth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh my godddddd, that's such a cute touch. after finishing the storyline, the baby Sea Emperors have grown up and you can find them out in the open waters, I found one above the place with the floating islands underwater. :3:

I accidentally grappled it while trying to grapple a boneshark(very handy for open water grappling) and hurt it, but it didn't attack me, luckily. Seems they're passive to the point of not even defensive moves.

gnoma posted:

It owns and far outclasses every other way to get around in the game, actually.
gotta agree here, spidermanning around the ocean is the only way to fly and is actually faster than the sea moth in a lot of cases.

It helps that you can spiderman and also kill aggressive fauna while exploring, unlike with every other vehicle/naked, and by taking the drill arm off, you can loot small items without leaving the safety of the prawn.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Sunbeam: I deactivated the tower well before ever getting to the point where the timer appears, though probably not before the very first radio message you get from them. They still got blown up. The irony is that I had already built the Neptune and could have left before they even arrived.

Prawn: would be way better if it didn't get stopped dead by every three inch high fungus or small pebble in your path. I know that proper Prawn piloting involves staying on the ground as little as possible, but sometimes you do end up walking around and it's awful.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I want to see a video of someone leaving on the neptune while the sunbeam is trying to land.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My biggest complaint about the story is that it kills off the rest of the crew for the sole purpose of not having to render character models or have them have to interact with custom made bases and stuff. Least it feels that way, that they wrote the story around the limitations of a small indie game, even if the story and writing itself is good.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Cojawfee posted:

I want to see a video of someone leaving on the neptune while the sunbeam is trying to land.

Not a video but

https://imgur.com/a/RFMtg

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Captain Invictus posted:

My biggest complaint about the story is that it kills off the rest of the crew for the sole purpose of not having to render character models or have them have to interact with custom made bases and stuff. Least it feels that way, that they wrote the story around the limitations of a small indie game, even if the story and writing itself is good.

I dunno, that's a pretty common plot device in survival type games, even big-budget ones like System Shock/Bioshock/Prey (okay, arguably the same game over and over, but whatever). I'm tempted to say the inverse is true: the fact that survival games usually don't feature many/any other human characters is one of the reasons why there are so many indie survival games.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

In theory this should work even if you are not cured, the gun can only point in one direction at a time. It should be an alternative ending where you escape and infect the rest of the Federation.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
boy this game goes from pretty fun with good exploration to agonizing exploration at the 70% mark (i guess 70%?) really, really fast

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Do large resource deposits respawn, or like, occasionally spawn during playtime? I feel like I've gathered every large quartz deposit in the game with how rarely I see them anymore.

Verviticus posted:

boy this game goes from pretty fun with good exploration to agonizing exploration at the 70% mark (i guess 70%?) really, really fast
what's agonizing for you about it

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
the prawn suit sucks to use, the cyclops sucks to use, getting to places that require the prawn suit and the cyclops are forever away. distances get way, way bigger, travel stays the same speed and sometimes you need to do it in extremely unenjoyable or inconvenient devices. required resources also need more time to get to, more time to acquire. as you add more pieces, crafting has you running around from locker to device to dock instead of being even slightly central. basically everything that took a minute earlier in the game takes five minutes and you have to do a bunch of them and the reward is just... deeper bioluminescent stuff

ahhh good i found a very plot-required place that took a while to get here but it was worth it because the payoff is story and.. oh i need a key to get into this room and didnt anticipate that *40 minutes later* oh good, a console that could have just been outside

i fully get that the cyclops is ultimately supposed to cut down on that inconvenience (though i didnt have it at the time), but having to suddenly lug that piece of poo poo everywhere is just as bad. when you have fast things and small useful things, large things and slow things are not upgrades, they're annoying

there are a lot of other weird little things like: why cant i make better camera drones? why cant i remotely flip a switch to turn my scanner room on? i can wirelessly transfer power under water a kilometer away but i cant send an on/off signal? but those arent really late-game criticisms and they dont entirely get in the way

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 1, 2018

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
For little annoyances, I wish you could dial down the brightness on all of the holographic displays in the Cyclops cockpit. They get really obnoxious when you're trolling around at night, but the external cameras don't provide all the useful information you get in the cockpit.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Verviticus posted:

the prawn suit sucks to use, the cyclops sucks to use, getting to places that require the prawn suit and the cyclops are forever away. distances get way, way bigger, travel stays the same speed and sometimes you need to do it in extremely unenjoyable or inconvenient devices. required resources also need more time to get to, more time to acquire. as you add more pieces, crafting has you running around from locker to device to dock instead of being even slightly central. basically everything that took a minute earlier in the game takes five minutes and you have to do a bunch of them and the reward is just... deeper bioluminescent stuff
you should grab the mods in this post:

they really improved some quality of life issues for me, including crafting, which in these mods has "easycraft" which allows you to craft stuff using everything in lockers within 50 meters of you, and also auto-crafts craftables required for the craft you want, such as batteries for power cells, copper wire and wiring kits, etc. Very, very handy and should be in the game proper.

Qmultimod lets you tweak variables and stats, so I made all mineral deposits drop 1-2 minerals each tick of the drill and the prawn jetpack last a bit longer for smoother spidermanning, and the easymine drill mod makes mining take about 10 seconds instead of a minute and a half.

Really if you're complaining about mobility at this point when you've got the prawn suit and a grappling hook arm as an option, you should be using that as much as possible, with some good grapple skills you can go from surface to lava depths in a few minutes with little issue. Maybe park the cyclops near the lava zone or the lost river area and then use it as a docking station for the prawn while you grapple around at the speed of sound. There's a video posted earlier where a grapple prawn races a sea moth and the grapple prawn is actually decently faster(and more fun) than the sea moth, though the real secret best vehicle is one of those cave headcrab critters and a propulsion cannon.

edit: also use qmultimod to edit prawn punch damage to 100 and go punch some leviathans to death, or just shove a drill in their eye while you're grappled to them. afaik they don't respawn, or none have for me at least, so it basically makes traversal easier as you clear them out of places you want to go.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 1, 2018

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
The end game is pretty tacked on and has you going up and down more than is really necessary. You should be able to get around fast though with grapple arm and, after your first trip down, jump jet upgrades. Getting back to surface in the prawn is kind of rear end and using cyclops to elevator you up is the only use it has other than mandatory crafting thing for the story. Cyclops can/should be avoided other than that.

End game can go really smoothly if you use the depth limits of sea moth then prawn as a guide on how to progress:

Get max depth sea moth -> go down as far as you can to get nickel and crystal sulfur -> build prawn depth I and jump jets -> go down as far as you can and get blue story thing plus some kyanite -> teleport out to build 2nd blue story thing and if you want prawn depth II -> go back and find the deepest area.

You do the whole thing in 2 shots and never have to make an ascent in the prawn which means you are always going fast. The game lacks direction for any of this though and leads you into just stumbling around and doing extra backtracking cause otherwise you spend like 5 minutes in each of the super fancy deep areas. It would have made sense to have like advanced wreck diving or creature interactions or something to build on the gameplay from the rest of the game but instead there is just walking around big empty rooms after you put in a keycard.

Captain Invictus posted:

Do large resource deposits respawn, or like, occasionally spawn during playtime? I feel like I've gathered every large quartz deposit in the game with how rarely I see them anymore.

They're not supposed to but I think there is a bug that can cause areas/chunks to repop as fresh versions if you stay out of them long enough.

gnoma fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 1, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I parked my cyclops, which I equipped with basically everything required for crafting and if I couldn't build it there I made a mini-base underneath it with water purifiers and such, at the area right before the inactive lava zone, right past where the tree with the ghost leviathan eggs is. It's still a bit of a trek, but you can use it to store all the high-end valuables you want from the active/inactive lava zones you harvest with the prawn. Just build a dozen lockers in the small room behind the cockpit in the cyclops(line them up sideways and you can fit about 6-7 on each side) and you can fill them up with more resources than you'll ever need again. Useful for all the mining deposits you'll find down there.

gnoma posted:

They're not supposed to but I think there is a bug that can cause areas/chunks to repop as fresh versions if you stay out of them long enough.
That seems pretty weak. There doesn't seem to be very many large quartz deposits in the game, there were two areas with a fair number of them and then I cleared them out and still need a shitload more for base expansion. I want to make a bunch more containment tanks for the eggs I'm finding, but they take 10 quartz each which is a hell of a lot. I know there's some areas with lots of single quartz all over, but I think it's way less fun seagliding around to those one by one instead of grappling around looking for large deposits. They should have a small chance to respawn, say a 10% chance, every in-game day.

edit: I'm really curious what makes the game start to slow down in the endgame. Like, performance-wise. Is it just sheer number of things it's keeping track of at that point, multiple bases, vehicles, altered chunks, lockers full of stuff, etc? Or what? My base hits about 30FPS or so when I go inside. Maybe it's the 75 reginalds that have filled up one of my large containment tanks, though despite the might of the reginald, I don't think it could bring my computer to its knees with just 75 of them.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 1, 2018

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

cheetah7071 posted:

It was my own fault for making the decision to leave the Cyclops and Prawn down in the lava biome and use the Seamoth and my old seabase for aboveground stuff.
I don't blame you for leaving your sub down there (I did it too, leaving it parked at the entrance of the containment facility forever because gently caress driving that thing back out of there), but there was no excuse for not taking your prawn back through the sea emperor's portal :colbert:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

U.T. Raptor posted:

I don't blame you for leaving your sub down there (I did it too, leaving it parked at the entrance of the containment facility forever because gently caress driving that thing back out of there), but there was no excuse for not taking your prawn back through the sea emperor's portal :colbert:

I like the Seamoth more and was looking for an excuse to go back to it. I would have had to make multiple trips back and forth with it since they don't tell you everything you need for the Neptune, so that would have been a nightmare anyways and I don't regret skipping it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I want to marry my Prawn.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is it possible to drive the seamoth through one of those water/air interface things? Does the seamoth just hit the ground and then it's stuck there forever?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Jay Rust posted:

I want to marry my Prawn.

I want to marry my cyclops. gently caress the haters, I loved slowboating that thing around

Welcome aboard, Captain

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Every time I got on the Cyclops and heard that line it felt like the ship really wanted to say "welcome aboard, fucker"

Something in the intonation

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I wonder what a good point for a Lost River/Surface back and forth checkpoint base is. Northern Blood Kelp zone maybe? It's near the mushroom forest, not too many Warpers and only one Ghost to dodge. (well, two counting lil Casper)

Also surprised this game doesn't have multiplayer, it'd be easy to have someone in the other seat in lifepod 5.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

cheetah7071 posted:

Every time I got on the Cyclops and heard that line it felt like the ship really wanted to say "welcome aboard, fucker"

Something in the intonation

yeah it totally has a -welcome aboard, "captain"- sound to it. maybe intentionally.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i hadnt yet found the grapple so the first thing i went out and did was find that. still hate the prawn suit but it was at least tolerable afterwards

gnoma posted:

The end game is pretty tacked on and has you going up and down more than is really necessary. You should be able to get around fast though with grapple arm and, after your first trip down, jump jet upgrades. Getting back to surface in the prawn is kind of rear end and using cyclops to elevator you up is the only use it has other than mandatory crafting thing for the story. Cyclops can/should be avoided other than that.

End game can go really smoothly if you use the depth limits of sea moth then prawn as a guide on how to progress:

Get max depth sea moth -> go down as far as you can to get nickel and crystal sulfur -> build prawn depth I and jump jets -> go down as far as you can and get blue story thing plus some kyanite -> teleport out to build 2nd blue story thing and if you want prawn depth II -> go back and find the deepest area.

You do the whole thing in 2 shots and never have to make an ascent in the prawn which means you are always going fast. The game lacks direction for any of this though and leads you into just stumbling around and doing extra backtracking cause otherwise you spend like 5 minutes in each of the super fancy deep areas. It would have made sense to have like advanced wreck diving or creature interactions or something to build on the gameplay from the rest of the game but instead there is just walking around big empty rooms after you put in a keycard.

this was a good guide, thank you, i managed to push through and beat the game tonight

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Apr 1, 2018

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't know, I feel the lack of NPCs empathizes the feeling of being so very alone on this weird alien planet where half the stuff is trying to kill you. You fix up your pod, dodging predators and freaking out at goddamned exploding fish, get your first distress call, and you're generally relieved to hear another human voice. So you paddle out there, again dodging predators, and find the pod sunk and with a giant loving hole in it. You find ruins left by previous castaways, rusted and taken over by scavengers. There's absolutely no hope, nobody but you on this rock.. and then you get the transmission from Sunbeam. Poor gently caress up there sounds like a truck driver way out of his depth, but damnit, he's coming to try and help if it kills him - and it does. I felt my stomach drop out of me the first time I saw them coming down and heard the transmission, right before they turned into a giant fireball.

So yes.They might've been working around some pretty tight limitations, but in this case I feel it works.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Sure, but all those ruins are from a single group from before you even arrive, not any of the other survivors. If it had been a handful of other lifeboats it'd be one thing but after the third one it was then "okay, I'll go find a databank and PDA to find out what happened to this poor schlub", no bodies or anything even, repeat what, 16 times? Not to be morbid, but the only indication humans exist at all is your own shadow indicating you're apparently some sort of surfer dude.

I love the story and the aesthetic of the world, alterra, etc. But there not being any indication of human life beyond audio logs and your own shadow was a big bummer.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Drake_263 posted:

I don't know, I feel the lack of NPCs empathizes the feeling of being so very alone on this weird alien planet where half the stuff is trying to kill you. You fix up your pod, dodging predators and freaking out at goddamned exploding fish, get your first distress call, and you're generally relieved to hear another human voice. So you paddle out there, again dodging predators, and find the pod sunk and with a giant loving hole in it. You find ruins left by previous castaways, rusted and taken over by scavengers. There's absolutely no hope, nobody but you on this rock.. and then you get the transmission from Sunbeam. Poor gently caress up there sounds like a truck driver way out of his depth, but damnit, he's coming to try and help if it kills him - and it does. I felt my stomach drop out of me the first time I saw them coming down and heard the transmission, right before they turned into a giant fireball.

So yes.They might've been working around some pretty tight limitations, but in this case I feel it works.

Yet the game has a "E for Everyone" rating, because there is technically no human corpses or red blood anywhere. The ESRB does not rate psychological horror :v:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You know, I bet the vehicles in this game wouldn't be massively hard to build some kickass Lego models of.

I bet someone's beaten me to it.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
Okay i'm a bit, well I guess not stuck but a bit burnt out and not sure what to do next. i've got he prawn suit and i can get as deep as the lava bit with the annoying flying dragon that shoots me but I dont really know where to go, i can't stay down there too long and it takes AGES to get back up, even with the grapple hook. I'm just finding it a bit grindy yet i really have enjoyed it and I want to go further and finish it. i've found the alien bases apart from the lowest one it mentions, even a secret little bit that has a gate which i assume I can turn them all on at some point? Is there something i could find or do that would give my game a shot in the arm?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

by.a.teammate posted:

i can't stay down there too long
Why not? That's where you need to go. Have you gotten a blue tablet yet? If yes craft another one and find a way to go a bit deeper from where you found it. If not then somewhere near the fireball dragon is a big lavaish mountain which has a couple of hard to spot entrances to an alien base

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
This game was amazing in VR when I played it on the vive a couple years ago, but there were too many bugs in the VR mode that prevented me from progressing. Anyone have any idea how things are looking on the VR side of things these days?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

This game was amazing in VR when I played it on the vive a couple years ago, but there were too many bugs in the VR mode that prevented me from progressing. Anyone have any idea how things are looking on the VR side of things these days?

For some unknowable reason the UI for renaming your beacons doesn't work in VR and occasionally the neutral position for where you're actually looking tends to drift, but I loved my experience of Subnautica in VR. The limited arc of view even decently emulates the feeling of wearing a diving mask.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 1, 2018

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Drake_263 posted:

For some unknowable reason the UI for renaming your beacons doesn't work in VR and occasionally the neutral position for where you're actually looking tends to drift, but I loved my experience of Subnautica in VR. The limited arc of view even decently emulates the feeling of wearing a diving mask.

I didn't mind any bugs that had work arounds such as the camera drifting and not being able to save (just had to play on hardcore mode where the game saves on exit). But once I got the Cyclops the game started to fall apart. I couldn't dock my seamoth into the Cyclops and also when I was inside the Cyclops the interior textures would become transparent, making walking around the hull impossible. There was some other stuff too, like movement speed while walking inside bases was really slow while in VR for some reason. Sounds like the more game breaking stuff like that is better off now?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rutibex posted:

Yet the game has a "E for Everyone" rating, because there is technically no human corpses or red blood anywhere. The ESRB does not rate psychological horror :v:
This was also what I was thinking. No corpses of the other crew, no rating ding. A cynical look, but unfortunately can be an accurate one.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

by.a.teammate posted:

Okay i'm a bit, well I guess not stuck but a bit burnt out and not sure what to do next. i've got he prawn suit and i can get as deep as the lava bit with the annoying flying dragon that shoots me but I dont really know where to go, i can't stay down there too long and it takes AGES to get back up, even with the grapple hook. I'm just finding it a bit grindy yet i really have enjoyed it and I want to go further and finish it. i've found the alien bases apart from the lowest one it mentions, even a secret little bit that has a gate which i assume I can turn them all on at some point? Is there something i could find or do that would give my game a shot in the arm?
Did you find this place yet?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

I didn't mind any bugs that had work arounds such as the camera drifting and not being able to save (just had to play on hardcore mode where the game saves on exit). But once I got the Cyclops the game started to fall apart. I couldn't dock my seamoth into the Cyclops and also when I was inside the Cyclops the interior textures would become transparent, making walking around the hull impossible. There was some other stuff too, like movement speed while walking inside bases was really slow while in VR for some reason. Sounds like the more game breaking stuff like that is better off now?

I had absolutely none of those issues.

OK, so sometimes docking my Prawn or Seamoth into the Cyclops would launch the Cyclops 20 meters up and leave me sitting in the water where the Cyclops used to be, but as far as I know that's a physics bub and happens without VR, too.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Drake_263 posted:

I had absolutely none of those issues.

OK, so sometimes docking my Prawn or Seamoth into the Cyclops would launch the Cyclops 20 meters up and leave me sitting in the water where the Cyclops used to be, but as far as I know that's a physics bub and happens without VR, too.

Okay cool, thanks for the info. I haven't touched my vive in a year, and coming back to check out subnautica to play with all the new additions is probably the only thing that would get me back into it. Hopefully the frame rate is still manageable on VR since they did the graphics update. I'm a bit weary of how many on the forums seem to complain about draw distance issues when that kind of stuff isn't just noticable, but pretty obnoxious in VR. Only way to find out for sure if to jump in

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
had a fun bug where walking sideways into the edge of the hatch of the cyclops cockpit room(the edge of the door itself, not the frame) launched me 500 meters sailing super fast through the air towards the floating island, and the cyclops itself flew straight up about 100 meters before splashing back down at a 45 degree angle sticking out of the water, I was barely able to get to the entry hatch to reorient it.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I was watching somebody play Subnautica on the youtube and I need to test something.. is it me or does the VR version of the game lack some of the polish you normally have? Like, when I started the game my lifepod wasn't actually on fire, I didn't get the little animation where my character gets hit on the head by that piece of debris, and I'm missing a lot of the neat little flourish animations like when you climb out of the pod the first time and shoo a local seagull equivalent off the pod. Actually animating you opening and closing doors, stuff like that - my run through in VR never had those.

Sidenote, watching a complete newbie learn through the game is equal parts adorable and aggravating.

"Hey so I went to this lifepod and found a seamoth piece, I guess I can turn that beacon off now"
"I'm going to run right past this desk with the PDA on it in plain loving sight 6 times without picking it up"
"I guess I'm not going to find another exit to this purple cave, this sucks guys" *humps the walls and never ever looks up*

Streamer in question seems like a wonderful guy but come the gently caress on, take a breath every once in a while and actually look around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm guessing they disabled a lot of the jarring motions because those are the sort of thing that immediately make you unwell in vr