Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

Good odds he's never returning to this thread. If I'd been owned so hard by reality I'd have to abandon my account and create a new one to ever post again.

Whatever happened to MIGF, by the way? I've been out of the game for a while.

He disappeared and then for nine months people were claiming that half a dozen posters with no discernable relation to his writing style were him in disguise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Kim Jong Il posted:

Good to see we're back to arguing in favor of the two state solution is bloodthirsty and racist.

You are arguing for whatever keeps the boot on the Palestinians throat as your sociopathic rear end has always done. You’ll always be a scumbag.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Sometimes people have a hard time coming to terms with the fact that they're on the wrong side of history, they're not always bad people even if they argue for horrible things. If you get one of them to see they erred, even on one tiny little thing from their perspective, it's probably better to encourage them to rethink about the rest of their pre-conceptions rather than to mock them mercilessly.

counterpoint: if you argue for horrible things, you are in fact a horrible person. there is no other road to a full throated defense of war crimes

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I hate that I can't say how and why it actually is illegal by the IDF's own standards but shooting tire guy in the back is totally illegal.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The most charitable take on kji's argument is that the idea is quiet will somehow bring things closer to a 2 state solution but in fact quiet is basically a carte blanche for Israel to keep doing more settlement activity, pushing things further and further from a 2-state solution, and israel's offers to this point have been laughable.

A 2-state solution where the second state has its borders and airspace completely controlled by another with huge chunks taken out of it is not really a 2-state solution.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Why would Israel go for a two state solution when they can slowly eradicate Palestine and be seen by the majority of westerners as wholesome, good, and not at all evil people?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Sometimes people have a hard time coming to terms with the fact that they're on the wrong side of history, they're not always bad people even if they argue for horrible things. If you get one of them to see they erred, even on one tiny little thing from their perspective, it's probably better to encourage them to rethink about the rest of their pre-conceptions rather than to mock them mercilessly.

What if the shame induced by merciless mocking is the best method to get them to rethink their pre-conceptions?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

What if the shame induced by merciless mocking is the best method to get them to rethink their pre-conceptions?

Tends to make people double down, not change their minds.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

please knock Mom! posted:

Why would Israel go for a two state solution when they can slowly eradicate Palestine and be seen by the majority of westerners as wholesome, good, and not at all evil people?
That’s pretty much where we are at now.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

One state is the only plausible way forward at this point.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

OctaMurk posted:

No that's actual facts contrary to their position, research shows.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

OctaMurk posted:

You need a conscience for that.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Orange Devil posted:

No that's actual facts contrary to their position, research shows.

lol

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

kidkissinger posted:

One state is the only plausible way forward at this point.

The only way forward is for Israel to resolve itself to treat the Palestinians with dignity and equality. As long as that isn't the case, it doesn't really matter whether you talk about "one-state" or "two-state": there will be no solution, because the Israeli government can't be trusted to deal fairly with the Palestinians. It's like asking black South Africans whether they preferred the one-state solution or the multi-state solution - in the end, they were a forced underclass with diminished legal rights under white rule, and that remained the case regardless of how South Africa rearranged the structures of legal oppression.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
They can just complete the land grab and genocide instead of admitting fault, especially since they're still getting billions of dollars a year while doing the former.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
One amusing fact I keep coming back to is that a lot of right wing American Christians would be totally fine with expelling the Christians from Bethlehem.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Meant to post this here

The Palestinian territory's population is set to increase to over 9 million by 2050, which is closer to us than the beginning of the occupation.

I am really fearful the ethnic cleansing will become more overt and brazen as the occupation struggles against the logistical obstacles of such a huge population growth in declining humanitarian conditions. How less conspicuous will Israel's actions have have to become before American opinion changes? How did American opinion change over the course of South Africa's revolution?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

The sustained protest and boycott movement in the US and Europe certainly helped delegitimize the South African regime, so it could work against Israel.

This is why we must repeal the 1st amendment and outlaw such behavior!

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
Why is one state even entertained at all. It would require Israel to grant full citizenship and voting rights to Palestinians. They won't do this as it gives Palestinians actual power over their own lives.

It's a bad faith proposal they just float to avoid admitting their actual monstrous position.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Spoke Lee posted:

Why is one state even entertained at all. It would require Israel to grant full citizenship and voting rights to Palestinians. They won't do this as it gives Palestinians actual power over their own lives.

It's a bad faith proposal they just float to avoid admitting their actual monstrous position.

Nobody with any power in Israel talks about a one state solution specifically because of this. The current state of affairs is their preferred solution. By supporting the two state solution and then refusing the Palestinians the ability to function as a state through the guise of a never-ending war on terrorism, they get to have their cake and eat it too. A two state solution, but only theirs gets international legitimacy and its sovereignty recognized.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Supporting a one state solution or the right of return is an explicitly anti-peace position. The only workable choice is a laser focus on humanitarian relief, de-escalating Gaza, and withdrawing from most of the West Bank. Both the one state and return are poison pills that directly contradict those goals.

Ze Pollack posted:

real shame hamas forced the IDF to shoot a kid in the back as he was running away from them, huh

It's a horrible situation in every possible way, to deny that they intentionally escalated the situation is insanity.

Panzeh posted:

The most charitable take on kji's argument is that the idea is quiet will somehow bring things closer to a 2 state solution but in fact quiet is basically a carte blanche for Israel to keep doing more settlement activity, pushing things further and further from a 2-state solution, and israel's offers to this point have been laughable.

I'm not advocating for Netanyahu's "economic peace", I am arguing in favor of Labor's policies in the mid to late-90s coupled with Kadima's policies of unilateral withdrawals. Israel's offers have not been uniformly "laughable" - look up what Barak offered in 2001 or Olmert in 2009. Those were legitimate, good faith offers.

quote:

A 2-state solution where the second state has its borders and airspace completely controlled by another with huge chunks taken out of it is not really a 2-state solution.

I haven't argued for this and don't support it. I am not a supporter of Likud or Netanyahu, and in fact have never supported Netanyahu here or anywhere. I don't think there should be any restrictions or conditions on either state.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Kim Jong Il posted:

It's a horrible situation in every possible way, to deny that they intentionally escalated the situation is insanity.

I haven't argued for this and don't support it. I am not a supporter of Likud or Netanyahu, and in fact have never supported Netanyahu here or anywhere. I don't think there should be any restrictions or conditions on either state.

aside from it being clear there were very fine people on both side of the sniper scope, when the IDF shot a child, in the back, as he was fleeing from them

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Kim Jong Il posted:

Supporting a one state solution or the right of return is an explicitly anti-peace position.

Ah yes, the ol' "if we stop the genocide halfway through, they'll retaliate" defense. Truly Gazans are the real monsters.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

How much escalation is needed to justify shooting someone who is retreating and unarmed in the back?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Spoke Lee posted:

It's not like Israel makes good faith two-state proposals.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

emanresu tnuocca posted:

To be fair, the same person talked about how Palestinians should self-immolate in order to prove their commitment to peace, so I can't blame people too much for taking such an attitude.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nameless_Steve posted:

There are fair questions about shooting non-lethally at retreating civilian combatants. It's a huge gray area of international law.
At best, this is Yosemite Sam-level "dance, varmint" dickery.
At worst, it's stormtroopers firing in the general direction of C3PO and R2D2.

As these actions are known in the non-cartoon world, attempted murder.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

To be fair, the same person talked about how Palestinians should self-immolate in order to prove their commitment to peace, so I can't blame people too much for taking such an attitude.

"I apologize, I will make sure to treat the Palestinian people with respect to their humanity in the future."

"This whole brouhaha is just like cartoons and movies."

"Okay next time I'll remember not to dehumanize the situation."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

israel sucks.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

As these actions are known in the non-cartoon world, attempted murder.

When I was on the jury for an attempted murder trial, I should have argued with my fellow jurors that the defendant was only guilty of Yosemite Sam dickery rather than attempted 2nd degree murder.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
https://twitter.com/pragmactivist/status/981141830464081920

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I feel like explaining how the IDF are just like the Galactic Empire's Stormtroopers engaging in a little harmless fun taking potshots at fleeing civilians is either Poe's Law or ought to be a "are we the baddies" moment.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

VitalSigns posted:

I feel like explaining how the IDF are just like the Galactic Empire's Stormtroopers engaging in a little harmless fun taking potshots at fleeing civilians is either Poe's Law or ought to be a "are we the baddies" moment.

This confuses me a little bit because all of Nameless_Steve's arguments centered around the Palestinians being unlawful combatants for whatever reason. He tried arguing that the IDF were being great guys because hey these are unlawful combatants and they are free to use lethal force. The whole "but he didn't actually die" seemed to be the cherry on top. But then it is definitively proven that the person died, and now he does the apologize thing? Doesn't walk back any of the actual arguments or do a "whoa am I the baddy?" revelation; just an ice cold apology that no one believes. Kind of like when he said that he wouldn't take the Palestinians seriously if they didn't self-immolate and rather than admitting how hosed up that is basically said "sorry you guys are so touchy".

I feel like this is textbook otherization though and is pretty genuine. Humans are very adept at being able to create in and out-groups and to dehumanize people in those out-groups. Probably even easier when one is kept so distant from the actual realities of the conflict.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Nameless_Steve posted:

Thank you for engaging in actual discussion like an adult.

Consider the flip side: the view that the status quo itself is a state of perpetual Arab/Palestinian aggression and anything that Israel does should just be viewed as a response to that.
It certainly works much better in this case than your theory. Palestinians assaulting Israel's borders because it's the anniversary of something that happened 40 something years ago, and Israel's only defending its borders.

The relationship is much more causal and direct. Every time the Knesset has shifted rightward in its history was preceded by major Palestinian aggression. With the exception of the Suez Invasion, every war Israel has fought has been grounded in defensive reasoning responding to anti-Zionist aggression. Again, Anti-Zionism is an ideology founded and historically embodied by actual explicitly genocidal Nazis Ba'athists like Amin al-Husseyni, Faisal Qawuqji, Azzam Pasha, Gamal Abdel Nasser, and Hafez al-Assad threatening to "finish the Final Solution" and "pave the Arab roads with Jewish skulls"

There is nothing unique about the Israeli-Palestine conflict. It's a bog standard ethnic land struggle, just like Cyprus, Ossetia, Abkhazia, and Nagorno right next door. And plenty of places farther afield.
Ascribing some unique uber racism as the sole motive to one side's violence is beyond laughable, in fact it stinks of being downright disingenous. Unless of course your passionate interest in Israel is accompanied by being completely bugfuck clueless about the rest of the world.

I guess it's up to you whether you want people to think you're incredibly naive and ignorant, or arguing in extreme bad faith. But it's one of the two.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

things i did not expect to wake up and read

quote:

Geraldo Rivera regrets not backing Palestinians in Second Intifada

Another datapoint in the discourse’s march to the left. On Fox News, Geraldo Rivera says that the Israel Palestine conflict is the “original sin” of the United States, from which “a lot of our problems stem”. And his big regret is that he did not back the oppressed Palestinians during the Second Intifada.

Rivera, who was raised Jewish, appeared on the Fox show, The Five, on March 30, to promote a new book; and host Greg Gutfeld asked, “Did you ever regret a story that you did?”

Rivera responded:

That’s an excellent excellent question. Let me tell you what I regret. I regret in 2002 backing down from backing the Palestinians in their conflict with Israel, the Second Intifada. Because I saw with my own eyes how, and I know this is going to resonate very poorly with the people watching right now– but still, I have to tell you how I feel. I saw at firsthand how those people were– and now you just had 14, 15 people killed in Gaza. Palestinians killed by the IDF forces. I saw what an awful life they live under constant occupation and oppression, and people keep saying, “Oh, they are terrorists, or they are this or they are that.”

They are an occupied people and I regret chickening out after 2002 and not staying on that story and adding my voice as a Jew, adding my voice to those counseling a two-state solution. It’s so easy to put them out of sight, out of mind, and let them rot, and be killed, and keep this thing festering. And I think a lot of our current problems stem from – that’s almost our original sin, Palestine and Israel. I want a two-state solution. I want President Trump to re-energize the peace process.

http://mondoweiss.net/2018/04/geraldo-palestinians-intifada/

looks like fox removed the video?? lol

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Had a conversation about the protests where this guy basically said all the shootings were justified because Israel has a right to protect it's borders and those killed were all Hamas members.

Argued with him for a bit before he straight up said that there's nothing that would stop him from supporting Israel.

:kingsley:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

guidoanselmi posted:

things i did not expect to wake up and read

http://mondoweiss.net/2018/04/geraldo-palestinians-intifada/

looks like fox removed the video?? lol

not to trip up geraldo when he's finally have a decent moral impulse, but i'm pretty sure america's original sin is all that slavery and genocide we did

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010
So I didn't see it posted earlier, but apparently hundreds of settlers occupied Al-Aqsa earlier in the week with the support of israeli special forces, who shot live rounds at palestinian teenagers who tried to stop them. They're still there now. That's a pretty big provocation right? Here's a link to the story: Hundreds of Jewish settlers storm Al-Aqsa compound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
At least 300 people were shot at today's border protest in Gaza, nine have died. :(