Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/976339382511611904
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_ah6kFzfiw
my hero

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Mar 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Finally he can be as miserable as he'd hoped he'd be when he thought Automata was going to bomb.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Massive spoilers for the ending but also very...curious

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/976614442271150081

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

gently caress me there's a game after this game.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
'Sup goons, cannot bring myself to keep playing through the second playthrough. Any tips to make it less painful?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

SwissArmyDruid posted:

'Sup goons, cannot bring myself to keep playing through the second playthrough. Any tips to make it less painful?

I mean if you want to trivialize combat just give a spear to 9S and use the spear throw (hold down attack button) to javelin your enemies to death with ease. Also remember that the game diverges once you reach the point 9S gets robo-kidnapped.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Take a break

9S is super powerful if you equip him with melee and critical chips, regardless of the weapon you are using

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

SwissArmyDruid posted:

depends on what causes you pain? if combat isn't your thing pick easy & autochips, ignore the sidequests or any optional encounters if thats not doing anything for you

hacking basically one/two shots anything including bosses, and [B] doesn't include the entirety of [A] or completed sidequests so it's much shorter anyway
and yeah use spears if you get tired of 9S' mini game mechanic. You know you can lock on in it (unless you're playing on hard or above) right? For some reason many people seem to miss that.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I'd like to emphasize that you dont need hack like anything ever in regular combat. 9S is just as powerful as 2B if you didnt forget to upgrade your poo poo. People have this odd conception that his combo strings are weak. Even his regular sword combos shred enemies to pieces

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 2, 2018

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

I'd like to emphasize that you dont need hack like anything ever in regular combat. 9S is just as powerful as 2B if you didnt forget to upgrade your poo poo. People have this odd conception that his combo strings are weak. Even his regular sword combos shred enemies to pieces

Also, you don't need to fight every enemy in your way. Running past them is perfectly legitimate approach most of the time, and given how overleveled you're likely to be for run 2, it's not going to cost you too much.

If all else fails, there's easy mode and auto chips until you get to new stuff again.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

9S has a really neat thing with his bare hands where the charged attack is some sort of stun burst thing. Seems strange that they put in the effort considering nobody would ever see it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

WaltherFeng posted:

When I played 9S I was able to one shot all smaller enemies with fist weapons, then anything bigger went down in one or two hacking attempts.

My second playthrough was a lot longer than my first, but only because I was ultra diligent with sidequests after realising how easy they are to miss/fail.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Dabir posted:

9S has a really neat thing with his bare hands where the charged attack is some sort of stun burst thing. Seems strange that they put in the effort considering nobody would ever see it.

Yeah his barehanded moveset is surprisingly polished and unique. Maybe there’s some chipset that makes it viable? It’s a really weird detail - I’m kind of surprised you can unequip your weapon at all.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Did ending E. Spent 10 minutes trying to work out what the gently caress that was all about. Decided to watch Netflix instead.

Good game.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Dabir posted:

He has a similar charge combo for glaives that is ranged and homes in. With the blast damage from lvl 4 demon glaives that combo will take out entire groups of enemies. But for the most part I just hacked everything on my 9S playthrough :shrug:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
9S seemed fine to me with Virtuous Treaty and level 4 shockwave chip. I didn't hack much because I'm bad at it, in fact a couple times I set the difficulty to easy and equipped auto-evade and auto-fire just to get past hacking a couple of hard objects.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
A surprising number of people never seem to realize that the right stick aims your fire during shooting segments and hacking

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Tarezax posted:

A surprising number of people never seem to realize that the right stick aims your fire during shooting segments and hacking

I got it but I just suck at it. :saddowns:

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Lara6683 (a piano streamer) plays Nier music that was requested by people in chat.
Weight of the World, City Ruins: Shade, Vague Hope, Kaine: Salvation, and Ashes of Dreams.

She didn't play Nier and didn't know any of these songs but she learned them by people on stream showing her youtube clips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbOPkSLh0wU

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 5, 2018

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
This is one of those games where it would be so great to play it again for the first time. Going through the story, discovering the world, hearing the music - what an experience.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Bought a bitching new headset. First thing I listen to on it? Weight of the World.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

So I finally beat the prologue on Hard and it mightve as well been the final boss because it was super intense with multiple phases, lots of different attacks to watch out for and everything is death.

Everything else should be a cakewalk because Ive actually done it before.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/247796380

PAX East panel with Okabe, Saito and Taro. Lots of funny questions and answers.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I know this is a very silly reason for a ten day bump but I've been replaying the game because my heart still swoons when I boot it up, and I am wondering: If 2B has all this prior experience on Earth, why doesn't she know what a moose is? Why doesn't she recognize birds? Why does she have to be told what the rockets going to the Bunker do?

edit: My friend and I have been discussing this and they put forward that 2B is just pretending not to know these things so that 9S can explain them and feel smart, which is cute, so if there's not a real answer I'll just pretend it's that.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 17, 2018

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

CJacobs posted:

I know this is a very silly reason for a ten day bump but I've been replaying the game because my heart still swoons when I boot it up, and I am wondering: If 2B has all this prior experience on Earth, why doesn't she know what a moose is? Why doesn't she recognize birds? Why does she have to be told what the rockets going to the Bunker do?

edit: My friend and I have been discussing this and they put forward that 2B is just pretending not to know these things so that 9S can explain them and feel smart, which is cute, so if there's not a real answer I'll just pretend it's that.

Maybe she gets her non-battle-data memory erased after each mission, to avoid turning out like the other E models who go insane from guilt when they get their memory fully restored.

Or she is indeed pretending, but to make 9S let his guard down for an easy kill, not just to be nice to him.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TalkLittle posted:

Maybe she gets her non-battle-data memory erased after each mission, to avoid turning out like the other E models who go insane from guilt when they get their memory fully restored.

Or she is indeed pretending, but to make 9S let his guard down for an easy kill, not just to be nice to him.

Being nice and making him let his guard down aren't mutually exclusive motivations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I could be wrong since I’ve just started Route C, but I thought the idea was that 2B was a combat model so she’d mainly be getting sent straight into combat scenarios like the beginning of the game. So it makes sense that she wouldn’t know that stuff.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That makes sense, yeah. I like the idea that she asks 9S to explain stuff she already knows, maybe as like an excuse to talk about stuff outside the mission

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

To revive the discussion from a couple pages back about the final undiscovered secret of the game, like others I wondered about the final credits player assist mechanic. Is there a limit to the number of player data kills you can get each time? Has anyone tried racking up the player kills? What if someone kills 100, or 1000 other player datas during the credits?

Keep in mind Yoko Taro's hint: "It will definitely be unpleasant, so the developers will not officially announce what it is. For various reasons, this specification was put into the game. If they are more detailed about what it is, problems might occur, so they cannot say anything more. It is the final secret of NieR: Automata…"

TalkLittle fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 18, 2018

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think querying mooses and birds fits into being a B unit.

I kinda got the impression that Bs normally get dropped onto earth, wreck everything in sight, then return to the bunker. Perhaps only the Scanners and the resistance members actually get downtime on earth to listen to the wind in the trees and so on.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
But 2B and 9S have been running together for a pretty long time as of the game's events, and the extra materials outside of the game have them going all over the place. It just feels strange to me that they are having 9S and company explain all these things to 2B instead of the other way around, since 9S is supposedly the one without much experience (and we learn the reason for that over the course of the game).

edit: If I had to guess the actual reason behind it from a game design perspective, I'd say it's probably a way of putting the player in 2B's shoes. You see a big ol rocket go up and you don't know what it is, so it's explained to 2B, but it's really being explained directly to you. If 2B knew and you didn't and she was the one to explain it, it'd create a little disconnect that demonstrates that she knows stuff you don't and she's not telling. With it written how it is, you instantly trust 2B because she knows what you know and that's worth doing even if it doesn't really gel with the backstory.

But I like the idea of 2B making 9S feel like a smart baby better

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 18, 2018

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The real answer is obviously that they wanted 2B to be a surrogate for players who might not know what a moose is

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ainsley McTree posted:

The real answer is obviously that they wanted 2B to be a surrogate for players who might not know what a moose is

A what?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

No, a B

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

I tested my theory about the final undiscovered secret and nothing special happened. I went through the final credits receiving help from other players and didn't fire a shot, got through by suiciding. After 20-30 deaths the game doesn't even show player names anymore, it just says "Someone's data has been erased." It takes maybe 150 suicides to clear the credits. So that's probably a dead end unless it requires a much larger scale of player kills, going through the ending repeatedly.

I figure the secret must have something to do with the game's network features, since that's the only way the developers can state so certainly that nobody's found the secret yet.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The secret is that it doesn't exist and it's Yoko Taro's last troll.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
The "ultimate secret" isn't a specific easteregg found at the end of a collaborative journey using social media, it's

the friends savegame data we deleted we made along the way
:unsmigghh:

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 18, 2018

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I beat it, Ending D. That was some poo poo. The ending sequence merging A2 and 9S gameplay-wise was pretty great too. Man, I was familiar with Taro through the Drakengard and Nier LPs, but still.

I think the most depressing thing overall is probably the reveal that literally the only thing separating YoRHa androids and machines is their creators. Which is also hilarious because you’re not just killing things with the ability to learn emotion and poo poo, you’re straight up killing the equivalent of androids only they look like little cartoon video game cannon fodder bad guys.

Well, either that or the idea that 2B is meant to be babysitting 9S on his recon job and waiting to off him when he infers that humanity is dead for the upteenth time.

How much of the DLC is worthwhile and not just a slog I should read the LP for? I’m guessing most/all of it is on par with the base game but it’s still nice to know in case.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Now go get ending E!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah you have not beaten the game yet go beat it.