Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Come with me to Fuji Rock, end of July :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

totalnewbie posted:

Come with me to Fuji Rock, end of July :D

Would if we could :smith:

Our trip is from june 20th until july 13th

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
You've clearly planned your vacation all wrong.

Seriously, though, be aware that depending on the weather, you're leaving pretty close to the very start of climbing season for Mt. Fuji (only Yoshida was open by the 12th of July).

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I knew I should've come checked here before booking the flights.
Our flight back is from Tokyo. So we will spend the last few days there and climb mt fuji at the end of our trip.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

How are domestic flights?

We've got our hotels and flights all set up to go back in November so I'm starting to nail down the nitty gritty stuff and I'm undecided between dropping £££ on JR passes to get from Toyko-Osaka-Tokyo (and then use them to get random trains to random places for the other days they'll be valid for), or spending like 1/10th of the money on cheap local flights and just pick up the cost independantly for whatever other travel we want to do while we're there.

It feels like a no-brainer to go with the cheap flights option but if domestic flights are a nightmarish experience with many many hours of standing in airports then paying out the rear end for the train becomes more appealing (along with the added mobility benefits for ad-hoc long-distance sight seeing).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Ikebukuro Wendy's is the best one. Next best is Roppongi.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

The Ikebukuro Wendy's is the best one. Next best is Roppongi.

IMO they're all bad since they moved to being part of First Kitchen. They definitely freeze the gently caress out of their beef now. Last one I had sucked.

If you really want a burger in Tokyo there's like a million loving burger specialty stores and now 4-5 Shake Shacks which are better options.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
A plane from Haneda to Osaka Itami is fine and not particularly bad, but just keep in mind that you probably dont want to be taking a LCC (so JAL or ANA), so the one way trip will probably be $101. Domestic travel in Japan is pretty easy.

Have you considered not buying a JR Pass and taking the Shinkansen?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I looked at shinkansen prices and it actually looked like the pass costs pretty much the same as buying the same tickets individually and gets you the extra days of travel on top. I may just be a moron though.

The pass is ~28500 jpy per person, and from what I've looked at a shinkansen round trip of Tokyo-Osaka-Tokyo per person is going to come in at ~27000 jpy or more depending on the ticket type.

We did the whole "take a ride on shinkansen just to say you've done it" thing for Osaka-Himeji last year so that doesn't factor in, otherwise I'd be more heavily swayed probably because I enjoy novelty.

We won't be taking anything that isn't carry-on luggage for that part of the trip so it would be the most bargain basement flights imaginable if we go down that route, depending on how much time we'd lose to airport poo poo vs just hopping on and off a train.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 30, 2018

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

History Comes Inside! posted:

I looked at shinkansen prices and it actually looked like the pass costs pretty much the same as buying the same tickets individually and gets you the extra days of travel on top. I may just be a moron though.

The pass is ~28500 jpy per person, and from what I've looked at a shinkansen round trip of Tokyo-Osaka-Tokyo per person is going to come in at ~27000 jpy or more depending on the ticket type.

We did the whole "take a ride on shinkansen just to say you've done it" thing for Osaka-Himeji last year so that doesn't factor in, otherwise I'd be more heavily swayed probably because I enjoy novelty.

We won't be taking anything that isn't carry-on luggage for that part of the trip so it would be the most bargain basement flights imaginable if we go down that route, depending on how much time we'd lose to airport poo poo vs just hopping on and off a train.

Nah that's right. The cutoff point for the pass is basically a trip to Osaka and back. Plus remember you can use for free travel on local JR rail lines, so you'll save a little. Pass is basically always a good deal if you're going anywhere past Nagoya or whathaveyou on the Shink. You can also get off midway somewhere if you like, or venture further out.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
https://www.japanican.com/en/tour/list/?typecd=TOU&typegrpcd=TPA&kw=E-Voucher

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
This also works on the Nozomi

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I hadn't seen these, interesting.

If we don't want to go anywhere else on a JR line for the 7 days around/during the Osaka leg then this is probably what we'd go with, so I guess we need to try and hammer out a proper itinerary to see what time we'll need to fill. It's a 14 day trip and we've pretty much left everything open at the moment barring the 3 days we'll be in Osaka at the start of the second week.

Thanks guys for the info!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

LimburgLimbo posted:

IMO they're all bad since they moved to being part of First Kitchen. They definitely freeze the gently caress out of their beef now. Last one I had sucked.

If you really want a burger in Tokyo there's like a million loving burger specialty stores and now 4-5 Shake Shacks which are better options.

Munch’s Burger Shack aka the place that made Trump’s lunch does the best burgers I’ve ever eaten.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
If I go to Japan from July 1st through 15th, and journey from Hiroshima to Tokyo, what kind of weather am I in for? A lot of sites just say a really vague "hot and humid" but I lived in a beach town for ten years with 90% humidity and 90 degrees being a frequent occurrence. If it rains every other day that's one thing but is the heat really that bad? My next vacation window isn't until January.

MoofOntario
Jan 10, 2007

To Maintain the System the Abusive Power is Sometimes Necessary
-Pappa Brittle

Yawgmoft posted:

If I go to Japan from July 1st through 15th, and journey from Hiroshima to Tokyo, what kind of weather am I in for? A lot of sites just say a really vague "hot and humid" but I lived in a beach town for ten years with 90% humidity and 90 degrees being a frequent occurrence. If it rains every other day that's one thing but is the heat really that bad? My next vacation window isn't until January.

I live in the Cayman Islands now. When I was in Japan for July last year it honestly reminded me a lot of here. I think the weather is going to be like what you expect. It rained pretty heavy for a couple days when a typhoon warning was happening but otherwise it was fine.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Yawgmoft posted:

Biggest difference is that in a beach town, you'll have a breeze. Some places are really very stifling, like Kyoto, where there's no breeze to speak of. Otherwise, it's manageable.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Thanks everyone. I'll keep trying for late May early June, but it sounds like July should be manageable.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I'm from Atlanta and yeah on paper it's really not much different. But in Atlanta we have central air conditioning and drive our air conditioned cars to and from the air conditioned Walmart.

In Tokyo you walk to the train station, stuff into a poorly air conditioned train with thousands of other sweaty people, only to arrive at an office where energy conservation policies mean the air conditioner won't go lower than 82.4F. Oh but we can wear short sleeve shirts and don't have to wear a tie!

As a tourist you'll be walking around a lot and using lots of public transport. Still entirely possible to have a good time though, just take another shower before going out again at night etc.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Precisely what zmcnulty said. Other places may be the same, but the nature of Tokyo/Japan means you feel it much more than other places. I’m led to believe Singapore is much more aggressive with the A/C to the point that friends who have lived both places take sweaters with them because it’s frigid inside but tropical out.

Early July in Tokyo might also be the tail of rainy season, meaning slightly lower temperatures (“only” high 20s/70s to mid 80s/low 30s) but 95% humidity and/or soaking rain storms. Which, again, it’s possible to have fun in that, but it’s not exactly ideal.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I'm still trying to figure out how the wind in Tokyo blows constantly through the winter and not at all in the summer.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Whoa this is not OK

Automatic beer dispenser, does a fine job with the pour THEN OUT OF A SECOND NOZZLE IT ADDS AN INCH OF FOAM

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Phone posted:

Whoa this is not OK

Automatic beer dispenser, does a fine job with the pour THEN OUT OF A SECOND NOZZLE IT ADDS AN INCH OF FOAM

A large head is important because it locks in the flavor.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
These malt's... they're so premium...

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiWhCguhmXw

Phone fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 2, 2018

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I loving love Japan's obsession with half of a beer being foam

I was watching some documentary where they were trying to explain to the British host that it was absolutely necessary to have the ideal head on a beer, which was 40% of the volume of the glass, and he was just like uh yeah back home you'd get stabbed for doing that.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I loving love Japan's obsession with half of a beer being foam

I sure don’t.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Suntory officially calls for a 7:3 beer:foam ratio.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
British beers rule!

TOP ME UP BABY

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I ate at Mos Burger. I don't feel any particular need to eat there again.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Sounds about right.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

nielsm posted:

I ate at Mos Burger. I don't feel any particular need to eat there again.

For some reason Mos was the first ever place I ate at in Japan and I haven't been there since

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
We just got back from Japan and Mos Burger was the worst food on the whole trip, marginally below Qantas airline food.

(the best was a tiny vegan place south of Shibuya station, I'm not vegan but just thinking back makes me drool a bit)

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I have a friend who adores it but I don't see the appeal either. The rice patties were interesting though.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

caberham posted:

Better than afuri??

I’m a few days late but...

Afuri for life. Seriously was addicted to that stuff. If given a choice between Afuri, Tsuta, or Nakiryu, I’d probably go Afuri every time.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Mos burger is the only food place in Japan where I’ve ever had bad service.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

Mos burger is the only food place in Japan where I’ve ever had bad service.

Somebody hasn’t been to Pizza Slice I take it

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

harperdc posted:

Somebody hasn’t been to Pizza Slice I take it
Just part of the authentic NYC experience.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

MY WAIFU and I are planning to visit Tokyo and Mt. Fuji in late August for abotu 2 weeks. We're also considering making a trip down to Osaka. It's a little overwhelming trying to plan compared to domestic/European/Australian travel though just because it's SO dense and there's so much to do, not to mention the cultural/language barrier. Are there any highly recommended guides for basic getting around, finding a hotel that's not hourly rates, finding the best stuff to see, etc?

EDIT we are mainly interested in (in descending order) good food, cool architecture (both historic and modern), weird unique sights and attractions, and clothes shopping

Mons Hubris fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 5, 2018

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
ask reddit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Specifically, r/JapanTravel

Check japan-guide.com first, though. They have answers to a lot of the questions you'll have