Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Yardbomb posted:

Pretty much, the FIND YER DAD plot point in FO3 was forgettable and the one highlight was the "Son, we're gonna have to have a talk about nuking that city later!" line. FO4's whole YER FAMILY plot had a lot more problems than being forgettable though, the exact opposite even was one of them, because it was hard to go too long before some dialogue or another would have SHAUN?! coming out of your mouth again, plus the "This is your loving wife and potato baby" to "poo poo THE BOMBS ARE DROPPIN" thing like 10 minutes apart and expecting you to care at all.

it's a bad match, locking the player in a protracted tutorial level for an open world game is torture, but dumping the character in the action right away doesn't give any time to sell the player on why they should care about their starting family beyond like, the cheapest emotional strings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
One thing I find, I hate when the fallout games get too scifi, and it's something that annoyed me in FO4. The whole synths and Institute thing as the main plot didn't sit well with me since they felt like Bethesda was just throwing in ever more extravagant sci-fi elements without regard for the post apocalyptic core of the series. It's like they wanted to tell a kind of blade runner-esque story but didn't want to go through the trouble of making a new game so might as well put it in the fallout games right?

I think it undermines the vauled sense of decay and grunginess of the universe when you have super high tech facilities that could have been retro 50s Apple headquarters and seemingly barely effected by a drat nuclear apocalypse. Back in older games you had out there things like the Master's forces or the Big MT but in those cases they really did feel like you could see the decay and chaos that the war and the decades since had wrought, things like the visibly degenerated appearance and behaviour of the Big MT scientists and facilities or the crude, messed up look of the Master and his minions.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also hey H.bomb, your mutual friend the Prison Man is lying and saying he made that Sinclair Brodcasting local news propaganda script expose video that's been sweeping the internet lately

https://twitter.com/JoeMyGod/status/980468230547476480

Did his diarrhea blackout soy pills make him do it? Sounds like this calls for an investigation.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It baffles me Bethesda keeps trying to do this personal family-drama nonsense in Fallout when the appeal has always been being a silent protagonist exploring a foreign land.
Fallout 3 is OH HEY YOU’RE A BABY DOING BABY THINGS LISTEN TO ALL THESE WORDS WE MADE LIAM NEESON SAY BECAUSE HE CHARGES A FLAT RATE INSTEAD OF PER LINE AND WE WANNA GET OUR MONEY’S WORTH an hour later here you’re a person go play the actual game also lol our DLC completely negates the theme the ending was going for because everyone agreed it was incredibly stupid and senseless
And then Fallout 4 is like oh man we’re a happy family la dee da customize yourself and your spouse and go after your hideous potato baby Shaaaaaun shuh shuh Shaaaaaaaaaaaun here start playing the game 45 minutes later
Meanwhile in Fallout NV the game starts with you bursting out of a grave, a couple of lines from a doctor and here have this hat and this gun go be a cowboy PEW PEW PTCHOO and it’s considered the best modern Fallout

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
See, I like the idea of the town building but it feels like it should be used in a game about settling a frontier.

If they want to do that kind of thing set the game in a spot where humanity hasn't lived a long time. Maybe have a central hub or two town and you build up a handful (but they'd actually need you know memorable NPCs and such to make it work.)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Calaveron posted:

Fallout 3 is OH HEY YOU’RE A BABY DOING BABY THINGS LISTEN TO ALL THESE WORDS WE MADE LIAM NEESON SAY BECAUSE HE CHARGES A FLAT RATE INSTEAD OF PER LINE AND WE WANNA GET OUR MONEY’S WORTH an hour later here you’re a person go play the actual game also lol our DLC completely negates the theme the ending was going for because everyone agreed it was incredibly stupid and senseless
I think Fallout 3 worked when it came out because the long period of loving about in the tunnels gave more gravitas to when you finally opened up the vault and were like "oh poo poo, yes this is open world". Though nothing beat the letdown of getting to the ending with Fawkes and having them say "Sorry, I know I'm completely immune to radiation but you have to kill yourself. For your dad."

I would like to plug OSW's review of Fatal Deviation because I've watched like three reviews of this loving film in the last month and this one is still a cracker.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1pBKOIakYE

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

I'm really glad we in the nerd community are moving away from 'hur hur wrestling is fake idiots' to actually talking about how this poo poo is just anime/soap operas done live because there's so much more crazy/silly poo poo to talk about than the most obvious cheap takes.

Golden Lovers are loving rad, that's a much more fun thing to talk about than the same thing even non-fans probably know the spark notes of.

At a con this weekend I overheard a conversation about how "Wrestling is redneck anime," and basically, yeah.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Mokinokaro posted:

See, I like the idea of the town building but it feels like it should be used in a game about settling a frontier.

If they want to do that kind of thing set the game in a spot where humanity hasn't lived a long time. Maybe have a central hub or two town and you build up a handful (but they'd actually need you know memorable NPCs and such to make it work.)

If fallout 4's settlement thing had basically just been a more in depth version of the Fallout Shelter mobile game it would have been way better.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
The only good game is GORF.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

sexpig by night posted:

I'm really glad we in the nerd community are moving away from 'hur hur wrestling is fake idiots' to actually talking about how this poo poo is just anime/soap operas done live because there's so much more crazy/silly poo poo to talk about than the most obvious cheap takes.

Golden Lovers are loving rad, that's a much more fun thing to talk about than the same thing even non-fans probably know the spark notes of.
God I'm so bummed that I got into wrestling in 2006 which was in this weird no man's land where you were a dork for liking it, I think things started to change around Punk's pipebomb promo, but it didn't really seem to be cool again until stuff like John Cena and Orton memes started to take off on twitter again and people started to find out about NJPW and Bullet Club (even though I kind of hate Bullet Club and BTE because their fans can be so obnoxious at shows)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

lornekates posted:

The only good game is Dig Dug.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Todd has a new One Hit Wonderland on Butthole Surfers (yes, that's the real band name and it tells you everything you need to know about them)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIjE8R_j5h4

I don't think we truly appreciate how strange and "of its time" the 90s alt rock scene really was. You'll never hear poo poo like this make it on the radio today.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I have a friend and occasional jam partner who twice ran into the Butthole Surfers, and both times consisted of complete and total debauchery with enough drink to level a room of Russian navvies and every drug from weed right on up to heroin. They sounded like pretty swell dudes.

EDIT: They also got their name by letting a crowd judge suggestions, until one of them jokingly said the Butthole Surfers and everyone cheered. Todd might say that in the video mind

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Benne posted:

Todd has a new One Hit Wonderland on Butthole Surfers (yes, that's the real band name and it tells you everything you need to know about them)

I don't think we truly appreciate how strange and "of its time" the 90s alt rock scene really was. You'll never hear poo poo like this make it on the radio today.

It was amazing.

There's a lot about the 90s that's decidedly not good in retrospect, but the MTV era was the crossing point between the modern state of being where every subculture can find its own impossibly small niche and radio as the absolute monolith of culture in the pre-cable era. It was wild, and we'll never see it again.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gibby Haynes is a national treasure and we should let him ding a ding dang his dang a long ling long till the end of time

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Fallout 4 suffers from diminishing returns since it's the fifth Gamebryo starting from Oblivion. It's a marginal improvement on prior titles but it's not innovative at all. You can pick up any object you find but that fluff doesn't cut it anymore. You can build your own house, at the expense of there being few towns in the game and there being no real purpose to the building system.

It baffles me Bethesda keeps trying to do this personal family-drama nonsense in Fallout when the appeal has always been being a silent protagonist exploring a foreign land.

lies

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Kim Justice posted:

I have a friend and occasional jam partner who twice ran into the Butthole Surfers, and both times consisted of complete and total debauchery with enough drink to level a room of Russian navvies and every drug from weed right on up to heroin. They sounded like pretty swell dudes.

EDIT: They also got their name by letting a crowd judge suggestions, until one of them jokingly said the Butthole Surfers and everyone cheered. Todd might say that in the video mind

I'm more shocked at how old Butthole Surfers are. They were already 15 years into their career when Pepper hit :psyduck:

This is one of those bands I was vaguely aware of, mostly through my older brother and his friends (who were aaaaalllll in on 90s alt rock), but I didn't really remember Pepper until watching Todd's video and the chorus kicked in. Then the memories flooded back.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

FoldableHuman posted:

It was amazing.

There's a lot about the 90s that's decidedly not good in retrospect, but the MTV era was the crossing point between the modern state of being where every subculture can find its own impossibly small niche and radio as the absolute monolith of culture in the pre-cable era. It was wild, and we'll never see it again.

Headbangers Ball remains a cherished memory for me, even if most of the bands were probably poo poo in retrospect.

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
Witcher 3 should be the foundation of all future ARPG's. I think the developer had to run a lovely work environment to pump out that quality, though.

You could go at the game like a Souls thing and dodge/parry your way to glory or lean into the mechanics and have a much more manageable experience. Over a hundred hours of gameplay but the main quest is a quarter of that for tourists.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

FoldableHuman posted:

It was amazing.

I've heard peers of mine say they wish they were born in the 60's or the 80's or whatever because they wanted the experience of that decade rather than the remains.

No, I'd say growing up the 90's was actually pretty drat fun, at least music wise. There was like, three or four months there where ska was just everywhere for some reason and I never really understood why.

Benne posted:

I'm more shocked at how old Butthole Surfers are. They were already 15 years into their career when Pepper hit :psyduck:

This is one of those bands I was vaguely aware of, mostly through my older brother and his friends (who were aaaaalllll in on 90s alt rock), but I didn't really remember Pepper until watching Todd's video and the chorus kicked in. Then the memories flooded back.

I'm not sure if I ever heard of Pepper before, but man, Jingle of a Dog's Collar, that was on one of my cousins mix tapes and I never knew it was by the Butthole Surfers so I literally haven't heard it in decades. Had to pause the video due to the nostalgia rush.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Benne posted:

That was a real nostalgia trip! I never got around to checking out their other stuff, but I loved my copy of Electriclarryland. It's such a bizarre mix of styles.

Jingle of a Dog's Collar is such a weird followup. I always got a creepy bestiality vibe from it, so I wonder if they picked it just to try to avoid any further mainstreamish hits. There's other songs on the album that could have worked if they were actually trying to get success.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

pr0p posted:

Witcher 3 should be the foundation of all future ARPG's. I think the developer had to run a lovely work environment to pump out that quality, though.

You could go at the game like a Souls thing and dodge/parry your way to glory or lean into the mechanics and have a much more manageable experience. Over a hundred hours of gameplay but the main quest is a quarter of that for tourists.

Witcher 3 would have cost an impossible amount if they made it in a country where you have to actually pay your workers

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I've heard peers of mine say they wish they were born in the 60's or the 80's or whatever because they wanted the experience of that decade rather than the remains.

No, I'd say growing up the 90's was actually pretty drat fun, at least music wise. There was like, three or four months there where ska was just everywhere for some reason and I never really understood why.

I'll never forget the inexplicable swing music revival of the late 90s. Big Bad Voodoo Daddy performed at the Super Bowl during that time, and good luck explaining to younger people how that happened if you weren't there.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Benne posted:

I'll never forget the inexplicable swing music revival of the late 90s. Big Bad Voodoo Daddy performed at the Super Bowl during that time, and good luck explaining to younger people how that happened if you weren't there.

Are you sure that wasn't Cherry Poppin' Daddies?

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

Benne posted:

I still enjoy some Squirrel Nut Zippers from time to time.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Calaveron posted:

And then Fallout 4 is like oh man we’re a happy family la dee da customize yourself and your spouse and go after your hideous potato baby Shaaaaaun shuh shuh Shaaaaaaaaaaaun here start playing the game 45 minutes later
Meanwhile in Fallout NV the game starts with you bursting out of a grave, a couple of lines from a doctor and here have this hat and this gun go be a cowboy PEW PEW PTCHOO and it’s considered the best modern Fallout

I remember when Fallout 3 came out and people like Yahtzee and the Extra Credits guy were like "OH MAN THE OPENING IS SO IMMERSIVE AND COOL".

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Mokinokaro posted:

It sounds like you could swap around a bunch of parts of Fallout 4 and Mass Effect Andromeda and improve both in the process.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Well, here it is folks. It's April 2nd. If you're Mike Michaud, this will not be a good day. Presenting a record of events while working for TGWTG.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WZFkR__B3Mk9EYQglvislMUx9HWvWhOaBP820UBa4dA/preview

The document is very long. There's a condensed version linked at the start.

EDIT: Mike Michaud is a vile scumfuck.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Apr 2, 2018

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

Witcher 3 would have cost an impossible amount if they made it in a country where you have to actually pay your workers
So why does the US have issues making those sort of games?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fC2JUzS7SU

a look at the weird alternate history universe that we call Ford Australia

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Alaois posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fC2JUzS7SU

a look at the weird alternate history universe that we call Ford Australia

I will forever have a soft spot for lovely falcons. Bless those cars.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

pr0p posted:

Not to defend CDProject on that front by any means, but P much any gamedeveloper from indie startup to AAA studio has been venting stories about their work environment. The industry is just hosed up.
Anyhoo the CA document is here, so that will be a nice basis for 4.0. :getin:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
CDPR also gets massive art grants and tax breaks from the Polish government.

Someone did the math and estimated the game would cost 2-3x as much to make in most of North America.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Terrible Opinions posted:

So why does the US have issues making those sort of games?

They wanna spend 10x the game's development budget on marketing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kim Justice posted:

Well, here it is folks. It's April 2nd. If you're Mike Michaud, this will not be a good day. Presenting a record of events while working for TGWTG.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WZFkR__B3Mk9EYQglvislMUx9HWvWhOaBP820UBa4dA/preview

The document is very long. There's a condensed version linked at the start.

EDIT: Mike Michaud is a vile scumfuck.

Jesus loving Christ that Dr. Gonzo section. Michaud trying to monetize Justin Carmical's suicide while simultaneously bullying the hell out of someone trying to help.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 2, 2018

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Benne posted:

I an definitely believe that people accused the Butthole Surfers of ripping off Beck. I thought Pepper was a Beck song until about 6 months ago when I tried to look up the lyrics because the chorus was stuck in my head

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Jesus loving Christ that Dr. Gonzo section. Michaud trying to monetize Justin Carmical suicide.

That's some flat out devilish poo poo.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I thought that Michaud was just a douche that was incapable of interacting with people.

He is so much worse; like he's a gigantic sociopath.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

FoldableHuman posted:

It was amazing.

The 90s rock era was also likely born from a change in accounting - Billboard switched from calling big record stores and asking what sold the most to actually counting album sales with Soundscan. Not surprisingly, the former method was prone to fudged numbers, and the new system at first disproportionately was counting album sales on the west coast, which thrust bands with local followings like Nirvana enough on to the chart to get national attention.

The entire pop industry got caught with their pants down; several "hit" albums vanished off the charts and the big labels scrambled to land alternative acts while they figured out how to properly game the new system. They eventually figured it out (and eventually figured out the pop formula for alt rock to relegate it to mediocrity), but in the meantime it did result in some fun and weird songs bubbling to the surface along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I don't know much about the Butthole Surfers, but I do know that the album art for Electriclarryland is the ugliest I've ever seen (which was probably their intention so good job guys).

• Locked thread