Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Groda posted:

:catstare:
I'm guessing that wasn't in Sweden.

No? Guy is talking swedish without an accent and the roadsigns looks typical of the type in the nordic countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sometimes tornadoes can be cute!

http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-1352

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Groda posted:

:catstare:
I'm guessing that wasn't in Sweden.

Not sure about that, but small twisters do happen in Scandinavia every now and then. No building destroyers or anything like that though.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

No place is safe...

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014

His Divine Shadow posted:

No? Guy is talking swedish without an accent and the roadsigns looks typical of the type in the nordic countries.

Lol at calling rikssvenska "swedish without an accent" :v:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Uhhhhhhh

http://www.thedrive.com/news/19802/tesla-driver-allegedly-reported-autopilot-issues-to-dealer-several-times-prior-to-fatal-crash

"This car's autopilot has tried to kill me multiple times on this upcoming stretch of road, seems like the perfect time to start up a high stakes game of solitaire"

Maybe if Tesla wasn't trying to be cute by naming their collision avoidance program "Autopilot" then people wouldn't be treating it like a loving autopilot.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FCKGW posted:

Maybe if Tesla wasn't trying to be cute by naming their collision avoidance program "Autopilot" then people wouldn't be treating it like a loving autopilot.

tbf the comparison is accurate, in that a genuine autopilot does little more than make a plane fly in a straight line between two points, and i'm sure they would argue this in court if ever pressed

but anyway it's people who are stupid and think that an autopilot is a "press button, go to sleep" device

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

tbf the comparison is accurate, in that a genuine autopilot does little more than make a plane fly in a straight line between two points, and i'm sure they would argue this in court if ever pressed

but anyway it's people who are stupid and think that an autopilot is a "press button, go to sleep" device

Other companies make it very clear how their products work.

Tesla is trying to make you thing the car can drive itself.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yes, absolutely. I think their messaging and marketing around the product is outright criminal.

just sperging for the sake of it :v:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

My aunt was not pleased with how my uncle decided to paint the corners of the open stairwell.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

(Sorry if this is a repost)

https://news.sky.com/story/plane-runs-over-mans-foot-at-gatwick-airport-leaving-him-seriously-injured-11307641

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Sagebrush posted:

Yes, absolutely. I think their messaging and marketing around the product is outright criminal.

just sperging for the sake of it :v:

I’d advise against pointless sperging when recent deaths are involved.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Avenging_Mikon posted:

where do you think this is, the Something Nice forums

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

A freaking plane and it injures just his foot? I don't know if he's super lucky or super unlucky.

Also:

quote:

"The patient, an adult male, had suffered a serious lower limb injury and, after treatment by our crews at the scene, was transported by Air Ambulance to St George's Hospital at Tooting."

:haw:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Avenging_Mikon posted:

did you miss the uber crash derail, by any chance?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I dunno if it's growing up with a fascination with tornadoes that gave me a healthy respect for 'em, but my first response was not 'oh that's cute' it was 'YOU DUMB FUCKER GET AWAY' because that tornado is HUGE and headin' straight towards him. They look cool and fun up until they're tearing your poo poo apart, which happens very quickly (one moment stillness, next moment your house is gone) and they are well-known to sound like freight trains bearing down on you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpnNz2dJ0R0

There's a great recording of the 1974 Xenia tornado made by leaving a microphone in a window as it bore down.

Also the 2011 Joplin EF-5 as recorded inside a walk-in cooler (if you can handle the "HEAVENLY FAAATHER PRAIIIISE JESUS" lady). 3 minutes in is where it really starts rocking and rolling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQnvxJZucds
And the next day when he goes back to the station they rode it out in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-P4P68YyNM

Two weeks and it'll be the 7th anniversary of our last outbreak. That was an interesting day and I will forever kick myself for not toting the camcorder as I was out and about.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

HardDiskD posted:

Uber made it clear they were homeless

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HardDiskD posted:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
My coworker bought a 2018 Audi S4 and it has a similar mode called “traffic assist” apparently. Seems like a better term for it honestly. Just use it when poo poo is stop-and-go.

Also he doesn’t use it anymore because he claims it leaves too much room between cars and people kept changing lanes in front of him. “I want it to be like six inches from the car in front of me but it won’t let me do that. People kept getting in front of me!”

Yes he’s a huge chode how could you guess?

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Gorilla Salad posted:

There's an old video by a guy travelling along a road with trees on either side. Suddenly the wind turns into a tiny tornado and just loving shreds the trees in front of him and then dissipates just as quickly.

Big tornadoes are an expected thing, but one just a metre across turning a tree into sawdust right in front of you is something else.

I'll try to find the video, but by googlefu hasn't helped me so far.

I saw a tiny tornado once. I suppose it was more of a dust devil, but it was much stronger than I've ever seen. I was driving in Bemidji on my way to BSU, made a turn, and in front of me was a perfectly shaped tornado, about 50 feet high and as wide as the street. It was a cool sunny day. It was throwing anything loose all over the place, rocking cars, etc. I followed it for about a block. It made a right turn down a side street and then disappeared. I've never seen such a thing before or after. It acted like it was supposed to be there.

I've seen dust devils on the prairie before, but never one on a city street.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

There's a great recording of the 1974 Xenia tornado made by leaving a microphone in a window as it bore down.

Also the 2011 Joplin EF-5 as recorded inside a walk-in cooler (if you can handle the "HEAVENLY FAAATHER PRAIIIISE JESUS" lady). 3 minutes in is where it really starts rocking and rolling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQnvxJZucds
And the next day when he goes back to the station they rode it out in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-P4P68YyNM

Two weeks and it'll be the 7th anniversary of our last outbreak. That was an interesting day and I will forever kick myself for not toting the camcorder as I was out and about.

I stopped for lunch at a Sonic in Joplin, MO on that day, driving from NE Oklahoma to Michigan with my in-laws, wife, six week old daughter, her two siblings, and their dog. It's a loving eerie feeling to think about that fact. Looks like the restaurant was south of the tornado's ground track, but I remember it being sunny and relatively clear while we were there. The storm caught up to us somewhere around Indianapolis, I believe.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

HEY NONG MAN posted:

My coworker bought a 2018 Audi S4 and it has a similar mode called “traffic assist” apparently. Seems like a better term for it honestly. Just use it when poo poo is stop-and-go.

Also he doesn’t use it anymore because he claims it leaves too much room between cars and people kept changing lanes in front of him. “I want it to be like six inches from the car in front of me but it won’t let me do that. People kept getting in front of me!”

And this is why cars won't be safe until humans have nothing to do with them

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Well, Russia did promise some response to the recent poo poo. Bet no one expected Russian planes to start running people over.

I wonder if it was on autopilot...

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

FCKGW posted:

Other companies make it very clear how their products work.

Tesla is trying to make you thing the car can drive itself.

it's pretty clear to me the chain of decision making that caused a software developer to continue the same test despite potential dangers

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

HEY NONG MAN posted:

"Self-driving" cars are just going to sneak up on us like cell phones, aren't they? All the debate about the ambitious Google/Uber/Tesla projects aside, luxury car manufacturers are including increasingly aggressive adaptive cruise control and lane assist with little fanfare. The cost of that stuff is probably more development than sensors, so it should filter down to most models sooner rather than later. Increasing the scope of these assists while leaving the driver ostensibly in charge (and conveniently liable) may be more feasible than jumping straight to fully self-driving cars.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

"Self-driving" cars are just going to sneak up on us like cell phones, aren't they? All the debate about the ambitious Google/Uber/Tesla projects aside, luxury car manufacturers are including increasingly aggressive adaptive cruise control and lane assist with little fanfare. The cost of that stuff is probably more development than sensors, so it should filter down to most models sooner rather than later. Increasing the scope of these assists while leaving the driver ostensibly in charge (and conveniently liable) may be more feasible than jumping straight to fully self-driving cars.

Sweet can't wait until cars explode.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mostlygray posted:

I saw a tiny tornado once. I suppose it was more of a dust devil, but it was much stronger than I've ever seen. I was driving in Bemidji on my way to BSU, made a turn, and in front of me was a perfectly shaped tornado, about 50 feet high and as wide as the street. It was a cool sunny day. It was throwing anything loose all over the place, rocking cars, etc. I followed it for about a block. It made a right turn down a side street and then disappeared. I've never seen such a thing before or after. It acted like it was supposed to be there.

I've seen dust devils on the prairie before, but never one on a city street.

Sounds like a landspout if there wasn't a mesocyclone. Could've also been a strong dust devil, those can reach F1 strength.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Mustached Demon posted:

Good news! Electric cars can only become the standard once the effective energy density on batteries challenges gasoline, which can only lead to more exciting catastrophic failures.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Mustached Demon posted:

:same:

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

HEY NONG MAN posted:

My coworker bought a 2018 Audi S4

I think the first sentence is all the proof needed.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Guess the building REALLY wanted some fried chicken.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

HEY NONG MAN posted:

You do have to sort of strike a balance in busy highway and stop-and-go city traffic. If you leave a car sized gap, someone will take advantage.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Pretty sure all the research shows that not leaving an appropriate gap between cars leads to slower over all traffic.

I guess I'm a road cuck because I maintain a gap and if someone dives in it I just adjust the gap.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

DiHK posted:

Pretty sure all the research shows that not leaving an appropriate gap between cars leads to slower over all traffic.

I guess I'm a road cuck because I maintain a gap and if someone dives in it I just adjust the gap.

People are greedy fucks though.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Relevant to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHzzSao6ypE

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I think if you leave a safe distance in traffic in the DC area you actually start to go backward.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

FuturePastNow posted:

You do have to sort of strike a balance in busy highway and stop-and-go city traffic. If you leave a car sized gap, someone will take advantage.

If someone uses their blinker and tries to merge in a timely manner, I will absolutely let them in. Those people are uncommon.

If someone ignores the MILE AND A HALF OF EXIT LANE and tries to dive across the double white line into the off ramp, I am going to put my bumper six inches off the car in front, and block them like it is my loving job.

gently caress Miami.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

glynnenstein posted:

I think if you leave a safe distance in traffic in the DC area you actually start to go backward.

a couple of years ago while visiting DC I rented a car to go to Gettysburg and ended up getting back to DC around 5pm

I will never drive in the DC area again after that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Back in the dark days before Google Maps was on every phone, my regular trips from Orlando to NYC involved passing through DC. Since our car didn't have a GPS, we printed out directions from Mapquest.

Every time, without fail, we would get lost in DC. Even if we entered the Beltway without heavy traffic, none of the signs would actually match our directions and you would have to swing from one side of the interstate to the other to find the right path. Every single time we would take a wrong turn and end up in a random neighborhood, having to ask for directions from random passersby to get out of the city.

This has never happened again since I got a phone with Google Maps. It often gives us a route that bypasses the Beltway altogether.