Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Chris Knight posted:

someone needs a new keyboard!

sucks to be them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

that clock in the background is sweet what's going on with that

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

http://www.nixiekits.eu/listing.php?key=nixie

There are probably better options but those kits were readily available. I also bought the STC power amplifier from the same guy and the sound is amazing!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
best new keyboard is an old keyboard

get an AEKII and love it well

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i got a topre switch board and its really great

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
topre harley

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

lol. this belongs in the hacker name thread too.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i switched back to my goofy rgb keyboard and mx browns feels like typing nirvana after using mx clears for a week

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

has anyone here "upgraded" from a Kinesis Advantage to an Advantage 2? Is it worth it in any way?

I have a bunch of advantages (it's the only sensible keyboard to use tbh) and am not sure if I'm missing out on anything important

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

President Beep posted:

lol. this belongs in the hacker name thread too.

i've posted it there before ;)

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

tazjin posted:

has anyone here "upgraded" from a Kinesis Advantage to an Advantage 2? Is it worth it in any way?

I have a bunch of advantages (it's the only sensible keyboard to use tbh) and am not sure if I'm missing out on anything important

if only there was a way to know more about this....

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Olivil posted:

if only there was a way to know more about this....

there's a feature list etc. of course, but I haven't read many subjective "is it worth it?" reviews

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

r u ready to WALK posted:

i switched back to my goofy rgb keyboard and mx browns feels like typing nirvana after using mx clears for a week

this is weird and wrong

using browns after clears its like they are so delicate and easy to typo on

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i kinda want a topre now

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i kinda want a topre now

its really good

i got the leopold FC660C to start but think im gonna get another with a numpad and just have keyboards for live. i'll prolly never replace these

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sniep posted:

its really good

i got the leopold FC660C to start but think im gonna get another with a numpad and just have keyboards for live. i'll prolly never replace these

i want fc980c, been eyeing it for weeks now - but i literally cant find them in europe atm, and i dont want to pay 21% duty + shipping on them from japan or we/e

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i want fc980c, been eyeing it for weeks now - but i literally cant find them in europe atm, and i dont want to pay 21% duty + shipping on them from japan or we/e

yeah that's the one i am getting in addition to the fc660c

those two should be good

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sniep posted:

yeah that's the one i am getting in addition to the fc660c

those two should be good

post a trip report if you get one

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

cinci zoo sniper posted:

post a trip report if you get one

i already have the fc660c and it's amazing, that's why i am getting the 980.

one for work with the numpad, in white/grey, and the other for gaming computer 66-key numpadless in black/grey

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
weirdlt enough despite my love of mech keybaords, if I was to rate them empiraclly rather than by what my heart tells me

the keyboard on my retina MBP is the keyboard I type the most consistantly and easilyist with

some guy i guess
Jan 31, 2011
I too type more accurately & faster on my laptop's chiclet keyboard but that doesn't stop me from spending hundreds of moneys on clicky keys.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
last gen mbp keyboards are pretty nice. I almost never bottom out on them.

new macbook keyboards are hot gargage, I bottom out constantly and can’t touch type on it for poo poo.

Jony Ive must be stopped.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
burn the heretics

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

pgroce posted:

last gen mbp keyboards are pretty nice. I almost never bottom out on them.

new macbook keyboards are hot gargage, I bottom out constantly and can’t touch type on it for poo poo.

Jony Ive must be stopped.

how can you not bottom out on either of them, they both actuate at essentially the bottom

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

carry on then posted:

how can you not bottom out on either of them, they both actuate at essentially the bottom

yeah i really like the current mbp keyboard when it works, genuinely feels great and it's not like i don't bottom out every other keyboard i use

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

actually. it’s bad and you have Stockholm syndrome

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

carry on then posted:

it’s probably more accurate to say I do bottom out, but that the feeling of bottoming out is a lot softer and easier on my dainty fingers than it is on the new mac torture boards.

just spent a day with my new whitefox with halo trues. they almost felt linear coming from cherry blues, but I’m liking them a bit more after a day of use. and they don’t sound like I’m setting fireworks off, so I can use it during conference calls and whatnot.

layout is almost perfect but they need some room between the nav keys and the rest of the board, and Jesus gently caress I hate where backspace is. (I can probably fix that with the configurator, though.)

pretty nice all in all. good build quality. it’d be nice to try it with other switches.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

pgroce posted:

just spent a day with my new whitefox with halo trues. they almost felt linear coming from cherry blues, but I’m liking them a bit more after a day of use. and they don’t sound like I’m setting fireworks off, so I can use it during conference calls and whatnot.

Mine is currently sitting in the mailbox with Halo Clears. I currently use one with MX Clears, so I’m interested to compare the two.

quote:

layout is almost perfect but they need some room between the nav keys and the rest of the board, and Jesus gently caress I hate where backspace is. (I can probably fix that with the configurator, though.)
Caps Lock + JKLI = Arrows
U = Home
O = End
Y = Page Up
H = Page Down

Not sure if I’ll be able to deal with the backspace placement though.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

I have decided that bottoming out is The Proper Way to type, since it provides the best tactile feel. I bottom out my Topre like I’m trying to slam the last milliliter of ketchup out of a glass Heinz bottle and is no one that tells me that’s wrong! Is no one.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
with one officemate I had to switch to the best possible rubber dome keyboard—Sun Type 7, UNIX layout—for his sanity, the AEKII (Mitsumi) keyboards were just too much for him

now I don’t have an officemate for a bit and it feels great

do sometimes miss the Fun cluster though

also just acquired a SPARCstation Voyager keyboard for a friend, it’s basically a Sun Type 5 without the numpad, with all the good and bad that implies

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

there are 2 white fc980c in europe on sale in stock right now $300 shipped. gonna snag one around weekend if they are still up

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

someone bought an LMI Spsce Cadet Keyboard a little bit ago for $3000

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ordered fc980c

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Satellit3 posted:

i like reds more than browns

I'm glad you like them, I found them way too easy to actuate and made far too many typos as a result

Dodoman fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Apr 4, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dodoman posted:

I'm glad you like them, I found them way too easy to actuate and made far too many typos as a result

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

cinci zoo sniper posted:

ordered fc980c

I hope u like the best keyboard available worldwide

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sniep posted:

same

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Sniep posted:

no bowls

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Sniep posted:

only if you’re considering currently produced

AEKII supremacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sniep posted:

its here and drat, drat