Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Ytlaya posted:

I actually find her feelings here a bit hard to relate to, since my personal experience with being a depressed/anxious teenager consisted of constantly idolizing the possibility of a happy future in a different environment. Like I would constantly be imagining how future plan X would be the thing that would finally make me happy, whether it was college or graduate school or post-college work or whatever. "Things are doomed to always be bad" seems to be the sort of thing that would be the result of living a much longer time and having your hopes crushed repeatedly, and teenagers are too young to have that experience.

Depression and mental states definitely vary from person to person. I grew up in a super sheltered home where I wasn't allowed to see friends outside of school, wasn't really allowed to go out on my own or any social life. It was just study all the time because that's "all I needed" and I didn't need anything like friends or stuff like that; according to my parents. So when it came to college I went through the motions of applying because that's what I told to do but I had no ambitions of my own and no real hopes or dreams about my future. Its hard to have those when you're not given the chance to develop them on your own.

My issues aside Aya's seem to stem from her constantly hearing everyone else thoughts and ideas and never trusting her own thoughts as hers and not something she's adopted from someone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Revolver Bunker posted:

This is an all too real feeling. :negative:

I swear to god if she goes to university in the next arc, struggles immensely with both grades and purpose, and then is spit out into an uncaring job market then I might as well sue for not getting rights to my life.

Honestly, not having any reason to go to uni is a good enough reason not to go.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I imagine she's got some "I know what buttons to push, how do I know I'm not unfairly manipulating people with every action I take? What would I have done naturally, if I didn't know their thoughts?" going on.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Toda's a good boy.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Man... just, man... :smith:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Terper posted:

Toda's a good boy.

Oh good, she's literally me

:negative:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
:f5:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
This is getting too real

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Toda is a nice responsible young man.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Aya is having a nervous breakdown in slow motion and as someone who just had one of those a couple weeks ago it's real rough

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Poor Aya. This really is too real.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
This poo poo is turning into a Tears for Fears song really quick and dammit if it ain't really hitting in the heart in the process ;_;

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Lot of words there Toda, too bad its not sweet nothings but the cold hard truth.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Toda's a good boy

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Toda's a good boy

He is, and he's being honest with her about the prospects of the group staying together.

Not so good for his prospects of dating her though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Doesn't it kind of depend how far they're going for university? Like even if the universities are different, if they're in the same or nearby cities it's not exactly a big deal.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Ytlaya posted:

Doesn't it kind of depend how far they're going for university? Like even if the universities are different, if they're in the same or nearby cities it's not exactly a big deal.

In my experience, it was a challenge for a few HS friends to keep relationships going even if the university was close by. Completely doable, but it imposes some additional complications even for established couples.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
aya doesn't think anyone will be her friend unless they are required by law to be in the same room as her several days a week.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!
On the other hand, if you start university off with heartbreak and social isolation on top of anxiety, you'll have a lot of free time to make up for the GPA lost to depression.

:smithicide:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

It's real easy to drift apart even when you are in school in the same area as you start to move further down your curriculum. Especially since Toda is going into Medicine and I barely saw the friends I made at College who went into the Pharmaceutical field. The problem here is Aya is intimidated by making new friends and she wants her current group to stay together going into the future; but reality is that for many reasons, people who are close may see each other less and less as time goes on.

Right now Aya's got to get over that realization because she can't cling to just one group of friends for comfort as time goes on. Doesn't mean she'll lose her friends and confidants, but she'll need to be able to forge new bonds and maintain some longer distance relationships with her other friends.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Brought To You By posted:

It's real easy to drift apart even when you are in school in the same area as you start to move further down your curriculum. Especially since Toda is going into Medicine and I barely saw the friends I made at College who went into the Pharmaceutical field. The problem here is Aya is intimidated by making new friends and she wants her current group to stay together going into the future; but reality is that for many reasons, people who are close may see each other less and less as time goes on.

Right now Aya's got to get over that realization because she can't cling to just one group of friends for comfort as time goes on. Doesn't mean she'll lose her friends and confidants, but she'll need to be able to forge new bonds and maintain some longer distance relationships with her other friends.

This poo poo ruined me early in my College experience. At the end of year 2, suddenly all my HS friends changed programs, went abroad, or moved. It was jarring as hell to suddenly be so alone.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I can relate, even when I went to the same university as my high school friends, most of us weren't even in the same major and on top of me being pretty lovely at maintaining communication even in this day and age, I just ended up not seeing them or talking to them as much by virtue of just having different studies and different things going on in our lives.

:(

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

aya doesn't think anyone will be her friend unless they are required by law to be in the same room as her several days a week.

:same:

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
I learned in college the most important lesson: I'm garbage at taking to strangers in a non professional setting.

Follow manaaaaaaaaaaaa to college THANKS

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

That's kinda true though, it's like the biggest reason why it's so difficult to make friends when you're older.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

I actually find her feelings here a bit hard to relate to, since my personal experience with being a depressed/anxious teenager consisted of constantly idolizing the possibility of a happy future in a different environment. Like I would constantly be imagining how future plan X would be the thing that would finally make me happy, whether it was college or graduate school or post-college work or whatever. "Things are doomed to always be bad" seems to be the sort of thing that would be the result of living a much longer time and having your hopes crushed repeatedly, and teenagers are too young to have that experience.

This post has me wondering if I’m depressed.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Virtue posted:

This post has me wondering if I’m depressed.

Like other people mentioned after that post, I think it depends heavily on a person's specific experiences. My outlook may have been influenced by the fact that I always felt like I was kinda-sorta close to achieving the conditions necessary to be happy, so maybe that's what lead to me constantly thinking maybe some change to my lifestyle would help. I still had a social life, even if it wasn't the exact one I wanted, and there were girls who were interested in me, even if they weren't the girls I was interested in, so this probably contributed to a feeling that those things were still possible. I never really experienced being completely isolated and bullied or anything as a teen, so I can understand why someone having that sort of experience might not feel as optimistic about a change in environment helping.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
panel 3 ayaface is not getting enough credit imo.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

I love how Toda's fantasies have changed from lewd to completely mundane romantic. :kimchi:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
But still suggestive :3:

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
That's a pretty sweet fantasy Toda's having. You know, being able to buy a motorcycle while in university.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
ayako substitutes her own images over other people's thoughts, but it's accurate in this case because toda keeps making motorcycle revving sounds in his mind

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
....Happy go lucky University Romance Live Action when?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I needed a big dose of sugar like that to clear up all those negative pages. :kimchi:

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I needed a big dose of sugar like that to clear up all those negative pages. :kimchi:

It's gonna be a short breath, the drowning will continue

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Eldercain posted:

It's gonna be a short breath, the drowning will continue

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

This is cute as heck and all but how does Toda know about Sano?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
anemoia - n. nostalgia for a time you've never known

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

kidcoelacanth posted:

A bit of a sudden time to end the manga, but this is a lovely epilogue :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

kidcoelacanth posted:

Not sure of the exact timeline but it probably is at least a week after the school festival. Mana possibly already told him about by now, or Sano might have shared it with Toda.