Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Oracle posted:

Oh hey Fold3.com, what's that? You got Civil War records all opened up til April 15? And nary a Tony Stark to be seen? Well alrighty then...

Gotta register so they can send you spam, but its worth it IMHO.

I tried them back when they were independent and found a lot of great stuff. I then tried them bundled with Ancestry and not only couldn't I find anything of interest, but I couldn't even find the stuff I had previously located. I have no idea if they changed their databases or sources, but I've been real wary about giving them any more money.

So this is good, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Oracle posted:

I think some people might find this bit quite interesting:

BIGGEST EVER FREE ACCESS*
Find your family, all long weekend
What better way to bring your family closer together than our Easter Free Access weekend?

From 30 March to 2 April, you’ll be able to search millions of UK, Ireland and Commonwealth records – all completely free*. Start in Britain then head off to Australia, Canada, or wherever, and spend four full days finding long-lost family all over the Commonwealth.

Enjoy FREE* Access to millions more records including these highlights:

NEW Historical Photographs and Prints
Explore more than 40,000 images, capturing defining moments in history and displays of everyday life.
Birth, marriage and death indexes
Find family among the vital indexes covering England and Wales as far back as 1837.
Commonwealth records
Get access to everything from Australian Electoral Rolls to Canadian Census records.
Plus much more. ANCESTRY

drat, missed this by a day.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Oracle posted:

Oh hey Fold3.com, what's that? You got Civil War records all opened up til April 15? And nary a Tony Stark to be seen? Well alrighty then...

Gotta register so they can send you spam, but its worth it IMHO.

Boom, great great grandfather's war record right there. Thanks!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So how accurate is ancestrydna?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

So how accurate is ancestrydna?

As accurate as any DNA test, why?

If you mean 'how likely is it that if it tells me I'm only someone's half-sibling' its 100%.

If you mean 'how accurate is it that it tells me I'm 70% English when all my ancestors were German' that's a bit of a crap shoot given migrations/Viking invasions/common DNA of peoples in the region over thousands of years, etc.

Basically ethnicity is a crapshoot that is only about accurate to a continental level (Europe/Asia/Africa/North America) but genetic relationships are pretty rock solid to a certain degree (if it says someone's your 1st cousin they are likely closely related to you as one of the options they give you for a 1st cousin match e.g. either first cousin, half-sibling, half-aunt/uncle etc). Endogamy may complicate things (cousins marrying, even if its really far back), two siblings marrying two other siblings (google 'double cousins'), identical twins can be confusing since they share the exact same DNA, and if you want to get really crazy if someone's like a chimera or something that can give you wonky results like telling you your birth mother is your aunt because her uterus was an absorbed fraternal twin's while her cheeks were hers (which is the DNA you get during your typical commercial tests) but that's like crazy rare.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 6, 2018

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Can't find where your ancestors were buried in Chicago? Maybe that's cuz they're planning to Poltergeist a new school oooooh *wiggles fingers*

quote:

Historians have identified three cemeteries at the Dunning grounds. The earliest was discovered just west of Naragansett Avenue and north of Belle Plaine Avenue.

Dunning Memorial Park was built on the second-oldest cemetery just northwest of the corner of Belle Plaine and Neenah avenues — less than a mile from the planned school. The memorial was dedicated in 2001 to commemorate those buried there from the 1850s to the 1920s.

The third cemetery is located underneath what is now Oak Park Avenue near Chicago-Read Mental Health Center. County officials said they moved the bodies out of that gravesite, but archaeologist David Keene, who was on the faculty at Loyola University at the time, told WBEZ that bodies were discovered there during another construction project.

Historians say thousands were buried in the third cemetery, which sits directly across the street from the school's football field.

Those who couldn't afford burials or whose bodies were unclaimed lie in these cemeteries, and historians for decades have worked to identify thousands of Cook County residents who were interred at Dunning.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Oracle posted:

As accurate as any DNA test, why?

If you mean 'how likely is it that if it tells me I'm only someone's half-sibling' its 100%.

If you mean 'how accurate is it that it tells me I'm 70% English when all my ancestors were German' that's a bit of a crap shoot given migrations/Viking invasions/common DNA of peoples in the region over thousands of years, etc.

Yeah. Basically I'm Puerto Rican and am curious what percentage of European, African, and Native I am.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I think regular old looking-through-records genealogy would probably be more precise. Any European/African "admixture" would be post-Columbian & thus historically fairly recent – ie. likely to be fairly well documented in preserved parish registers, probates, etc.

What is available for research (online or not), I don't know.

I'll gladly help if you turn out to have USVI/Danish West Indies ancestors though, I have some experience with the records from Danish rule.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yeah. Basically I'm Puerto Rican and am curious what percentage of European, African, and Native I am.

That'll be accurate because you're looking on a continental scale but as Krank says above, to figure out where each comes from and confirm it you're still gonna have to do the research. Which we nerds will gladly help you do! (Puerto Rico has some pretty good records actually, barring any losses in the recent Hurricaust of which I am unaware).

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Will AncestryDNA be good enough?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

Will AncestryDNA be good enough?

Yeah it'll be fine. Just upload it to gedmatch too! Also you just missed their St. Patrick's Day sale so hold off on buying a kit until the next ethnic holiday (cince de mayo maybe?)

I also did a big huge writeup on DNA crap over in the African-American genealogy thread here last year if you want more info while you wait.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I've been having trouble discovering the origins of one of my Swedish ancestors, so I've been looking through police records in the hopes of discovering some clue that way.

No luck on his origins so far, but I did find that in 1819 he was managing a wine cellar (bar) in a Danish harbor town. A person entered and asked for a deck of cards and when given some, asked for more. My ancestor then fetched some old ones from a drawer. Apparently these latter cards weren't stamped (as in the piston/ink mark, maybe a revenue thing?) and he was summoned to the court.

He admitted having the playing cards, but said they weren't used; generally only the stamped ones were. The records state that they appeared to be cards from several sets, but not one complete, and there were 4 aces of diamonds. Also, they were very worn and filthy. His boss also appeared and said he didn't concern himself with what went on in the cellar & the responsibility was entirely my ancestor's.

For having the unstamped cards, he was fined 10 rigsbankdaler silver (roughly the price of a barrel of barley or 32 lbs smoked meat, so quite a lot of money). Several other local "cardholders" were likewise fined the same mount. All the confiscated cards were destroyed.

Half of each fine went to the city poor , the other half (as per regulations) went to the relevant snitch (possible the same person, it's unclear) :mad:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Cards (in England anyway) were taxed from the 1700s to the 1960s. For a long time the first card in the pack was stamped, usually the Ace of spades, which is why they are more ornate than the rest of the pack.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Interesting! Appears it was roughly the same here: 1752–1963. Until ~1820, they were marked with a red stamp on the aces of spades and diamonds (I suppose that's why they're called out specifically).
http://www.123hjemmeside.dk/palholm/37190514

That's another thing I love about doing genealogy. You learn a bunch of stuff about history seen from the eyes of the common people; what things changed and what has remained the same.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Schott's Gaming and Idling miscellany p. 62 contains way more than you'd ever want to know on card tax. The english one started with that type of stamp but in 1765 the stamp office began printing an official ace of spades instead, which was known as 'old frizzle'. Just thought you'd like to know.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

:tipshat:

also I may have found his Swedish origin and holy moly check out what the priest wrote in his birth record (note the age of the mother is almost always written in Swedish birth records):

quote:

[1793] Date born & date baptized, the horny widow Jane Doe with the horny fornicator tailor John Doe, their boy child James. The slut/whore is 40 years old.

He certainly didn't mince his words :stare:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Daaaaayum girl. I've heard of German priests writing the names of illegitimate kids upside down in ledgers but never came across any done that way they usually just name them, that is some serious judgement.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah lol. Usually it'll just say illegitimate/out of wedlock. In fact I can only remember one other time I've seen where the priest directly wrote whore in the church register.

At least he appears to be equal opportunity on calling them out

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

MyHeritage is offering two free weeks of access to their records if you sign up for a free trial. They have a lot of the same records as ancestry and a few they don't have. https://lp.myheritage.com/complete-...y=us&tr_device=

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Oh hey! If you ever uploaded your DNA to FTDNA, they're offering a 10 dollar unlock your matches special (its usually 18, used to be 40). If you haven't uploaded yet now would likely be a good time. Especially good if you're looking for European relatives as the test has been pretty well established in N. Europe.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Oracle posted:

MyHeritage is offering two free weeks of access to their records if you sign up for a free trial. They have a lot of the same records as ancestry and a few they don't have. https://lp.myheritage.com/complete-...y=us&tr_device=

My heritage is a pretty good site, its where my mother and cousin have their trees.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Starting midnight tonight and for the next ten days AncestryDNA tests will be on sale for 59 bucks. That’s almost as low as it gets. Last year FTDNA followed suit with a discount on their Y test. It’s for DNA Day or some stupid thing who cares saaaaales.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Not a huge fan of MyHeritage, I gotta say. They're pretty expensive and way restrictive for free users. Geni is kinder to the free tier users in my experience. Of the online tree sites, FamilySearch is best imo (and it's free).

Anyway, it turns out the bastard child I posted about above is indeed my gggg-grandfather! :woop:

Also, his maternal grandfather was a cavalrist in the Pomeranian War, was captured by the Germans and held prisoner for a year before coming home in a prisoner exchange. There's a ton of muster rolls that list details about the horses he rode and equipment issued, very cool stuff for giving color to the family tree.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

Not a huge fan of MyHeritage, I gotta say. They're pretty expensive and way restrictive for free users. Geni is kinder to the free tier users in my experience. Of the online tree sites, FamilySearch is best imo (and it's free).

Anyway, it turns out the bastard child I posted about above is indeed my gggg-grandfather! :woop:

Also, his maternal grandfather was a cavalrist in the Pomeranian War, was captured by the Germans and held prisoner for a year before coming home in a prisoner exchange. There's a ton of muster rolls that list details about the horses he rode and equipment issued, very cool stuff for giving color to the family tree.

Oh man congrats! I'm so jealous.

I have Pomeranian ancestors (including my unknown great-great-great-grandfather whose kid was a bastard), where'd you find the military records for him? I have my suspicions the guy was some kind of soldier since Stargard had a big military presence and his kid was a soldier.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Thanks! :D

Well he was called a cavalrist in a bunch of sources I found, so I googled around but it's fairly similar to contemporary Danish Cavalry. Basically, farmers could get tax freedom if they instead maintained cavalrist lodging & equipment.

The Danish stambøger or Swedish mönsterrullor are very broad; youll at best get "born in this part of the country" or "so and so old". probably the "years served" is fairly accurate, though.

I found the swedish rullor in the now free access Riksarkivet:
https://sok.riksarkivet.se/generalmonsterrullor

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

also itd be encroyable if our ancestors fought each other in Pomerania :o

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

also itd be encroyable if our ancestors fought each other in Pomerania :o

Hah. Wouldn't be the first time it happened in my family tree. My dad's side fought for the English in the American Revolutionary War. My mom's side fought for the colonists. His great-whatever grandpa could've conceivably killed her great-whatever grandpa at the Battle of Lake Erie.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ouch!

that is both wonderful and awful lol

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I like to say it explains why they got divorced lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

aaa

welp

i guess im lucky that all 4 grandparents come from different parts of Denmark (though I did discover that my dad's dad's dad x7 total and my mom's mom's same were both in Copenhagen early 1700s) probably they didnt meet cause of class differences though :11tea:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

i guess im lucky that all 4 grandparents come from different parts of Denmark (though I did discover that my dad's dad's dad x7 total and my mom's mom's same were both in Copenhagen early 1700s) probably they didnt meet cause of class differences though :11tea:

One could've worked for the other! You never know! I don't have much class difference anywhere, just cultural. Like a 2nd? great-grandfather got disowned by his bigot family after their parents died young and he basically spent his youth raising and feeding them because he fell in love and married a French-Canadian Catholic girl (they were all Irish Protestants, though not as much as I'd thought doing more research, all my lines have never seemed to care much about which religion who was except that Catholic girls always seem to win in the battle of what the kids will be raised as) and it pissed him off so much he left Canada and settled in Michigan. We've been estranged from that side of the family ever since and only just in the last few years when I reached out to a DNA match did we find all this out; before then we had no idea that's how that line ended up there. My uncle and I joke about crashing their next family reunion.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

OH MAN. FOR TODAY ONLY, for I think US Users only (though if you know someone in the US they could conceivably do it for you and just change the email address later in settings cough cough) you can upload your Ancestry DNA to 23&Me FOR FREE and get four tests plus the ancestry family finder thing!

So if you're already done an ancestryDNA test you can upload the zip file to 23 & Me. This has never happened before to my knowledge and one of the reasons they had you test at both locations was to fish in both ponds as it were. It will take about a week to get your results back and you do need a separate email address for each test which is a pain in the rear end but whatever I've been wanting to fish in that pond for EVER and couldn't justify the price. Sadly I have not personally tested at ancestry but have other family members there so uploaded those and it looks like it worked.

The countdown timer is on like 12 hours as of now.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Thanks for the post Oracle, I signed up last night and uploaded my ancestry data. We'll see what happens.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah I did too and already got results. The tests are lame, the ancestry test is just the percentages (though you can download the chromosome browser bit, which I'm not seeing as all that different from gedmatch) but its saying you have to actually buy a test in order to see your matches. We'll see how long they sit on that though; FTDNA used to say the same thing, then they said pay 40 bucks OR get four other people to upload their DNA test results and you could unlock your matches. I have a feeling 23&Me will go that route eventually. Course the sale going on right now is tempting but its still ten bucks more than FTDNA/Ancestry (which at 59 bucks and free shipping is about as good as it gets; I've only ever seen it lower on Black Friday for 49).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It will be interesting to find out how police found the Golden State Killer. It’s entirely possible a close relative of his did one of these DNA tests and that narrowed the field of potential suspects. Apparently Ancestry and 23&me will share some data depending on circumstances.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

They took DNA evidence from crime scenes, created a profile, found whatever relatives, did their family trees to find a guy of the right age and in the right location, then took DNA samples 'abandoned' in public (thrown away soft drink cups or the like) and used those to match the suspect to the crime scene evidence. GATTACA is here.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/26/us/golden-state-killer.html

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I was wondering how they could submit the original DNA sample without using the official kit (I doubt a cheek swab would work with gunky old semen or whatever gross stuff they have), but I guess a lot of these sites let you upload a data file now too so that's probably how.

I've been tracking my aforementioned bastard through the Swedish tax lists and it turns out he didn't have to pay taxes for a few years due to a "fistula". He didn't show up in the lists until he turned 18 so it's impossible to say how long he had it, but by 21 the tax lists give him a clean bill of health, and indeed list him as fit for drafting. He left for Denmark though, and settled in a harbor town. Some 10 years later, he was drafted for the city fire brigade, I assume along with all other able bodied men.

Asked some local genealogists and consensus is that he probably broke a leg/arm and it healed badly/slowly, leaving him only temporarily crippled. One wonders if he was a crazy kid who jumped off big rocks or did he get in a fight or was it just dumb luck? Guess I'll never know.

The more you learn, the more questions there are. I love it! :D

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

https://twitter.com/ZushaElinson/status/989923520233680896

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yep, no surprises there. Gedmatch is basically a clearinghouse for DNA tests from all the major testings companies to cross-reference each other and is really really useful. Their triangulation tools are awesome also. But they have no way of confirming what you upload is legally yours to do with as you see fit any more than say, Google Drive does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Hey Krankenstyle can you read the last line on this record? Its Swedish but six of one half-dozen of another, wanna see if its a kid of the above two.
https://imgur.com/a/tbDdNpR