Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I'm wondering if a Gremlins 2 approach might work. You could have a scientist, a CEO, a janitor/intern, one of the OG crew who knows what's going on, and someone who's really into the body swap thing specifically, and doesn't want to leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Jumanji, but pachinko. It will do fantastic in Japan.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Seems like bad timing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Inescapable Duck posted:

Seems like bad timing.

Why?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

There were some recent regulations on gambling that meant pachinko lost a whole lot of popularity

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

More like deregulations. Now people can do real gambling so no one gives a poo poo about pachinko

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

poo poo, how else am I going to get my Metal Gear Solid sequel?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

So what I'm learning is that even the Yakuza have lost their balls.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

So what I'm learning is that even the Yakuza have lost their balls.

Bullshit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejxklDwvGx0

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I see RPO has had one of the best opening weekends for a Spielberg movie in years.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jumanji, but mobage. :getin:

The incompetent doofus pulls a SSR while all the competent protagonists are stuck with N/R tier cards.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Can you really get a whole movie out of a phone game? I feel like you would run out of jokes really fast.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They made Angry Birds. When they ran out of jokes they just used some jingoism and xenophobia

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
It's a key thing that the movie isn't just based on video games, but as I said, it's based on old video games. And not just the sprite-based bleep bloops that are fading into memory but specifically early 3D-era ones that have enough elements from old and new but also non-abstracted characters and features that the premise can work for people who have no idea what video games are, but work in the elements and in-jokes in ways people who are familiar with them can recognise.

Being based on phone games would be a terrible idea, because they're already considered a dodgy and disposable form of entertainment that may fall into the memory hole for all but the most determinedly nostalgic by the time the movie comes out. The original movie works because everyone knows what a board game is, and Jumanji takes the form of something familiar, innocuous but enticing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Obviously the next Jumanji should be an anime.

I'm only half kidding. Some weebs getting a download of some obscure anime fansub on Kodi and getting sucked in, and it being animated, would be a fun miniseries on Netflix.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The whole reason I said a mobage instead of a regular phone game is because, instead of being disposable, they're insane time and money vacuums that prey on people with gambling addictions.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Those are regular mainstream phone games though.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jumanji as an escape room

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Apparently the other twist with the phone game Jumanji plot was that the game quickly spread throughout the entire school.

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Some weebs getting a download of some obscure anime fansub on Kodi and getting sucked in, and it being animated, would be a fun miniseries on Netflix.

I'm pretty sure this is the exact plot of an anime seriesd already, possibly more than one.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Apparently the other twist with the phone game Jumanji plot was that the game quickly spread throughout the entire school.

I'm pretty sure this is the exact plot of an anime seriesd already, possibly more than one.

I hear the phone game spreading thorough the school is a huge problem right now with Pubg Mobile and Fortnight Mobile. People can't use the WiFi anymore due to the game traffic.

I hear that being sucked into an MMO is basically an entire anime genre at this point.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I hear the phone game spreading thorough the school is a huge problem right now with Pubg Mobile and Fortnight Mobile. People can't use the WiFi anymore due to the game traffic.

I hear that being sucked into an MMO is basically an entire anime genre at this point.

Pretty much, yeah. (moreso in 'light novels', I think the Japanese equivalent to YA lit, which are often adapted into anime)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Detective No. 27 posted:

That'd actually be a pretty good way for them to defeat Jumanji without sticking to its rules, just overload it to the point of breaking. :v:

It'd also be pretty funny if the game became an MMO and there were 500 of each character running around, so every time a villain respawned it gets swamped by 50 Rocks all laying the smack down on it simultaneously.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The principal shuts off the wifi and makes everyone get stuck in the game forever.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Inescapable Duck posted:

Pretty much, yeah. (moreso in 'light novels', I think the Japanese equivalent to YA lit, which are often adapted into anime)

Somehow I read "kidnapped into anime" in there and that would be a fate worse than death.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
The Jumanji cartoon did have an implication that at least one tribe of Jumanji beings were at least partly made up of players who'd gone native, and Alan wasn't far off. It's been a recurring element for players to find an older player who's been trapped in the game for years, if the sequel has to escalate things, that might be a way to do it.

(though frankly I don't think an immediate sequel would be good; as I said, that the movie was good at all is a freakish anomaly)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Iron Crowned posted:

Somehow I read "kidnapped into anime" in there and that would be a fate worse than death.

Your best case scenario is that you're surrounded by crazy women who want to gently caress you and you are too chickenshit to gently caress them, so yeah pretty much

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

feedmyleg posted:

The principal shuts off the wifi and makes everyone get stuck in the game forever.

It's that bloody Black Mirror...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
RPO is kind of like a Jumanji movie, isn't it? :v:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
What if they did the next Jumanji as an action game, in the vein of Devil May Cry or a Platinum title? I think it'd be an excellent excuse for ridiculous amounts of high style action.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Wheat Loaf posted:

I see RPO has had one of the best opening weekends for a Spielberg movie in years.

On the other hand Box Office Mojo ran the numbers and the closest comparable openings they came up with were G.I. Joe: Retaliation and Terminator Salvation ...

And the only other films that Spielberg has directed this last decade were The Adventures of Tintin, War Horse, Lincoln, Bridge of Spies, The BFG and The Post, none of which exactly big budget wide appeal blockbusters that were expected to have huge openings.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

On the other hand Box Office Mojo ran the numbers and the closest comparable openings they came up with were G.I. Joe: Retaliation and Terminator Salvation ...

Fair enough, though I think that's still better than the year's other would-be blockbusters so far other than Black Panther.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Next Jumanji should be a bridge between the first and second movies where the protagonists get sucked into one of those terrible VHS board games like Nightmare.

So...Beyond the Gates, basically.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Phylodox posted:

So...Beyond the Gates, basically.

Except it should actually be good.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

I wanted to like Beyond the Gates, but :agreed:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Wheat Loaf posted:

Fair enough, though I think that's still better than the year's other would-be blockbusters so far other than Black Panther.

Yeah the only other 'big' action/adventure films so far this year have been Tomb Raider and Pacific Rim 2 and I guess maybe A Wrinkle in Time (I didn't see it, I dunno what it's about) which didn't exactly set the world on fire, but then again Jan/Feb is often fairly slow compared to the rest of the year. But we should also note that Black Panther's opening weekend of $202 million was roughly five times bigger than Ready Player One's $41 million so it's still in the little leagues in comparison.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Inescapable Duck posted:

It's become so common that it's displaced "transported into a fantasy world" and, IIRC, a big pro-am writers' short story contest in Japan will no longer accept stories with that premise it's become so prevalent.

Myself, there's some merit in the scenario, but only if the MMO is Second Life.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Basebf555 posted:

You shut your mouth I will not have you ruin my fond memories of Atmosfear.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they should make it a souls-like.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

TIKI TORCH LIT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

so apparently they got gamemasteranthony to review rp1. Spoilers: he liked it!

http://nymag.com/selectall/2018/04/gamemaster-anthony-reviews-ready-player-one.html