Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Mini 4 is an iPhone 6. A8, 1GB RAM. Maybe clocked slightly higher due to higher thermal mass? Dunno. The Air 2 has an A8X with 2GB of RAM.

I personally like my Mini 4 quite a bit and it's far from unusable, but it's not as quick as an iPhone X for sure ... Can be a bit of a pain, but I mostly use it for media consumption and really lightweight games, so no problem for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
The iPad mini 4 works, although it's not quick and it's fun to watch just updating apps eat like 10-15% of the battery life. Was really hoping there'd be a stealth upgrade with the edu event, but...

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I think i was thinking of the Mini 2 > Mini 3 revision where they kept all the same guts

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Talk me out of buying a 27 inch iMac.

Got my eye on the 3.5ghz model with a 512 SSD upgrade but in the UK that’s an eye watering £2200 ($3100). Plus that’s just the 8GB version so I’d need to spend another £300 on RAM so I can do the install myself.

I do a lot of audio and photo editing so I feel its justified but all told it’s gonna be £2500 and well. Ouch.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hey guys, about to drop trou for a new MBP, since my stalwart old 2012 15” has the logic board sads.

Are all the horror stories true? Does the keyboard suck and break? Is the touch bar useless? Is the trackpad too big for meaningful gestures and the click feedback weird? Is the lack of MagSafe the cause for rage weeping that I can only imagine it is?

I know they still sell the legacy 15”, and I’m sorely tempted because it has none of these question marks slash problems. But I’m told the OLED screen on the new one makes it all worthwhile.

Frankly I wish I could just get a new motherboard for my 2012, but who knows how much time that would even buy me.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I have no keyboard issues on my 2016, but I don’t use it that much. I had problems with my 12” MacBook that I used just as much, though. If anything the keyboard is really loud and I can tell it annoys people in the immediate vicinity

The trackpad is fine. The touchbar is pointlesss to me, I just make it show function keys and it doesn’t really bother me other than the fact that I can’t “feel” where the esc key would be, but I the keys are so shallow I can’t feel the other ones anyway.

I’d rather have MagSafe but it’s not the end of the world. Battery life is just fine. The speakers are awesome. The screen isn’t visually different to me (I have a 2013 that I still use just as much). Dongles are annoying. (Use the usb-a and hdmi one all the time)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The current Macbook Pro does not have an OLED screen. Just the touch bar is OLED.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I love mine. I haven’t had any issues at all with the keyboard and I find the touchbar legitimately useful for all sorts of stuff. It’s also actually really important for accessibility. I have a couple of students who don’t read or write good and I’m teaching them how to edit and manage photos and video and the predictive text is loving key for them. It also scaffolds to hot keys really well for things like brush sizes in photoshop.

If you’re an advanced user with the hotkeys for your stuff in muscle memory it’ll only be a little useful beyond the improved volume up and brightness shifting unless you use esoteric web apps in safari and stuff.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I only find the touchbar mildly useful, but I'm also not missing the F keys at all so it's kind of a wash. The only thing I really ever used the Function keys for was turning up and down the volume and brightness and pausing and skipping songs. All those things are improved with the touchbar so that's really good. But two apps I use a lot (InDesign and Premiere Pro) don't utilize the touchbar at all so that kind of sucks. The keyboard bothered me for maybe 3 or 4 days and I got over it.

The only complaints I really have are the dongle madness and just a bit annoyed with the feedback on the touchpad. I have it turned all the way up and I still find myself wishing it was clickier. The "force click" or whatever it is called when you pushed really hard on the touchpad is how I wish the regular click was.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I like my 2016 mbp keyboard. I probably would've been better off with the 13" instead of the 15" laptop. I kinda want a 12" MacBook now.

I'm gonna keep my eye out for the MacBook refresh. If they release one with crazy battery life, I'll buy one in a heartbeat and keep the 15" at home and rename it the Big Mac.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
I bought a refurb late '15 MBP last year for the keyboard and to avoid dongle hell. I ended up needing the SSD replaced twice, and on the second time they tell me they'll just make a new one of that model out of spare parts, as apparently the old owner was also having SSD problems. Ok, cool, guess this one's a lemon. A week into the order, Apple calls me and tells me they can't make a '15 anymore, so will I take a new MacBook with the same specs? I say yes, and now that opened it up, I find that they've downgraded me from an i7 to an i5.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

tractor fanatic posted:

I bought a refurb late '15 MBP last year for the keyboard and to avoid dongle hell. I ended up needing the SSD replaced twice, and on the second time they tell me they'll just make a new one of that model out of spare parts, as apparently the old owner was also having SSD problems. Ok, cool, guess this one's a lemon. A week into the order, Apple calls me and tells me they can't make a '15 anymore, so will I take a new MacBook with the same specs? I say yes, and now that opened it up, I find that they've downgraded me from an i7 to an i5.

Really? I thought all of the 15 inch MBPs have an i7.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I don’t know if it’s some palm rejection secret sauce or I just don’t rest my hands there but I haven’t had any issues with the bigger trackpad. I can’t say if it’s really improved usability any but neither have I had problems.

It’s really just that atrocious keyboard that I can’t stand.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

~Coxy posted:

Pretty hilarious that the ancient/lovely mini4 is now 100 bones dearer than The New New New iPad.

It’s also 4x the storage space.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

FCKGW posted:

It’s also 4x the storage space.

Huh, I gotta admit that I didn't notice that.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Social Animal posted:

That is correct for the 2016 and 2017 models.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Social Animal posted:

He’s talking about 2015 not 15”

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Talk me out of buying a 27 inch iMac.

Got my eye on the 3.5ghz model with a 512 SSD upgrade but in the UK that’s an eye watering £2200 ($3100). Plus that’s just the 8GB version so I’d need to spend another £300 on RAM so I can do the install myself.

I do a lot of audio and photo editing so I feel its justified but all told it’s gonna be £2500 and well. Ouch.

Wait for a refurb to turn up that matches, or get someone with an edu discount. I remember paying around £1,100 for a £1,800 iMac years back through a friend who worked in a store.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I sent the 15” MBP in for a speaker problem and some weird bright and dark spots on the screen. To get some work done while they fix it, I temporarily bought a loaded 13” MBP. Here are my thoughts.

Holy poo poo this form factor is awesome. The laptop is just so compact and light and awesome to work on.

Without a dgpu it’s a bit anemic for a “pro” computer. I’m not sure who this is for...

The keyboard is a huge improvement as well.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I agree. I don't like the size of the 15". Wish I could trade my loaded 2016 15" for a loaded 2017" 13". I haven't used the dGPU much and have a powerful desktop with a NVIDA card at home.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

tuyop posted:

Without a dgpu it’s a bit anemic for a “pro” computer. I’m not sure who this is for...
Perhaps not all pros need GPUs. Also pros who need GPUs probably wish it wasn't AMD.

I know I would be much happier if the AMD chip in my 15" Pro was NVIDIA instead.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hmm. I've always just sort of taken for granted that screen size (largest possible) was a paramount factor of importance for me; but I dunno, maybe it isn't. The work MPB that I'm using while my personal one is down is a 13", and I don't mind it, but I do have to Citrix to a Windows desktop a fair amount and I feel like I'd regret it if I went 13" for the long haul. It'll take some consideration.

Also have to Photoshop a lot and run a lot of local-dev server instances and run Xcode and pretty much the whole nine yards. Yeah, I probably would be sorry.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

MBPs still have comically large display bezels compared to their modern counterparts in the PC world. 13" with greatly reduced bezels would greatly ease the pain IMO.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The good thing about the Retina models is you can run the 13" at 1680x1050 or 1920x1200 if you want

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I don't have the same eyes at 30 as I did as 15 unfortunately.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

When Apple does battery replacements on retina MBPs they do a whole top case replacement, correct?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

IuniusBrutus posted:

When Apple does battery replacements on retina MBPs they do a whole top case replacement, correct?

Yes. New metal, keyboard, and trackpad.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yup ever since 2012.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Apple Plans to Use Its Own Chips in Macs From 2020, Replacing Intel

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'll believe it only when it happens.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Bloomberg's not the worst source, I totally believe the project exists. Question is if it'll ship.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Also a chance that they go to their own chips for low end stuff and stick with intel for the high end. MS is trying to make windows processor independent also with their Windows Universal Platform. Only makes sense for apple to do the same if they can get their software running on any cpu.

Just like MS they could say that ARM based chips will only work with included software and software from the Mac app store. Just like MS does with WUP.

Keep the intel chips around for the high end macs, and include a T series chip like they do with the new iMac pro and have it run the ARM code on that.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Nah MS killed that idea, RT was such a failure. Even Windows S (which restricts to Store even on x86) is optional now. Microsoft's doing a binary translation layer to ARM for their next iteration of ARM Windows, they've demonstrated it performing decently running Photoshop. I expect Apple will go a similar route like Rosetta except baking in some of the translation logic into the chip - like hardware accelerated binary translation, and then deprecate it out at a later date, like Rosetta. It's the only sane way to go ... No one bought Surface RT, Apple's not going to make that mistake. I hope.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

So it is done. My continued ties to this platform hinge on this modular Mac Pro and whether or not it's the final bird flipped in my direction.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

I know what they can call them...

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I expect the “Apple doesn’t care about professionals” outcry would be way worse than the touch bar if they just got rid of x86 altogether.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 2, 2018

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I dunno, I doubt Tim, Phil, HairForce et al approved of this article. Something this major would be more likely to be touted by Apple themselves.

Also I can't see developers who were doing Intel-based code are too happy about this, it's gonna be 'it runs slower cause it isn't an Intel chip' all over again.

Cue Tim bringing back Intel bunny suit meat puppets and touting A17 based chips kicking the poo poo over i7s in superbly lamo non-reproducible benchmarks.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I think Apple's just playing hardball with Intel for whatever reason: contract renewals, pressure to step up their mobile game, etc

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Housh posted:

I agree. I don't like the size of the 15". Wish I could trade my loaded 2016 15" for a loaded 2017" 13". I haven't used the dGPU much and have a powerful desktop with a NVIDA card at home.

Thirded. I upgraded from a 2013 15" to a 2017 13" and the form factor is much nicer to lug around. I haven't missed the extra screen space or the dGPU to be honest. That said, I don't do much with video nor do I game at all on this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Unless they can stick 12 arm chips into "mac pro" and just rely on it being highly parallel. Because arm is getting fast but it isn't quite intel x86 fast yet but that won't matter if you can cheaply (both $$-wise, space-wise, and heat-wise) cram a bunch of arm cores into the thing.