Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChristopherRobin
Feb 27, 2011

Corgis with attitude.

Stuff like this that acknowledges that 99% of the population had guns, but imply that if only the 1% of Jews had them then the Holocaust never would have happened tell me that these people would do absolutely nothing as long as it doesn't personally affect them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Scruff McGruff posted:

I suspect it also has something to do with it being easier for people to accept a kid snapping because of abuse than it is to accept a kid just being a straight up killer. The same way some people prefer the idea that school shootings are false flags perpetrated by a shadowy cabal, because at least in that narrative there was a reason for it and someone was in control of it happening instead of the reality that someone just felt like killing kids that day.

This is entirely accurate. There’s a very strong opposition to the idea of a child being broken. Psychiatrists aren’t allowed to diagnose anyone under the age of 18 with sociopathy, and while the official reason is that their personalities haven’t matured enough, the real underlying reason is an insulation from the disturbing fact that sometimes people are either born or quickly via environmental factors become monsters and there’s nothing anyone can really do about it.

Edit: The most notable example I can recall of this is a six year old my mother treated who had made very detailed and meticulous plans to murder his parents.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
The nazi's definitely would have been like "Ooo, ya know, we would kill all the jews but they probably have some rifles and poo poo so we'll just leave them alone, we won't roll in with tanks and a battalion of SS troops and kill them all. Lets just go fight the Red Army in the frozen tundra, it's probably safer. Cancel the Holocaust, CURSE YOU PRIVATE FIREARM POSSESSION!" :argh:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The problem with the idea of Tru Americans having guns to prevent the equivalent of the Holocaust in America is that it assumes that the right wing gun nuts wouldn't be the ones leading the Jews into the chambers.

Gun nuts will do anything to ensure that they are on the blunt side of the bayonet.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

There's an old Onion article that feels really relevant right now.

62-Year-Old With Gun Only One Standing Between Nation And Full-Scale Government Takeover

Fake edit: https://www.theonion.com/62-year-old-with-gun-only-one-standing-between-nation-a-1819574418

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
There's no shortage of historical examples of how minority groups get treated if they try armed resistance.

If they had had Fox News during the Sioux wars, they'd be calling the Ghost Dance a Weapon of Mass Destruction and every day you'd see talking heads argue about whether or not the Ghost Dance could work, and if the United States should try and acquire the same capabilities as a deterrent.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Shadin posted:

This is entirely accurate. There’s a very strong opposition to the idea of a child being broken. Psychiatrists aren’t allowed to diagnose anyone under the age of 18 with sociopathy, and while the official reason is that their personalities haven’t matured enough, the real underlying reason is an insulation from the disturbing fact that sometimes people are either born or quickly via environmental factors become monsters and there’s nothing anyone can really do about it.

Edit: The most notable example I can recall of this is a six year old my mother treated who had made very detailed and meticulous plans to murder his parents.

Also in the recent slenderman attempted murder those two preteens did. The republican judge really did not want to let the "mastermind" get the diagnosis/treatment she needed because he felt that would let her "get away" with the attempted murder. He had no problem trying her as an adult though.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

There's no shortage of historical examples of how minority groups get treated if they try armed resistance.

If they had had Fox News during the Sioux wars, they'd be calling the Ghost Dance a Weapon of Mass Destruction and every day you'd see talking heads argue about whether or not the Ghost Dance could work, and if the United States should try and acquire the same capabilities as a deterrent.

I mean, take a look at the Black Panthers and what happened with them

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

duz posted:

Also in the recent slenderman attempted murder those two preteens did. The republican judge really did not want to let the "mastermind" get the diagnosis/treatment she needed because he felt that would let her "get away" with the attempted murder. He had no problem trying her as an adult though.

Being committed to a mental institution as punishment for a crime gets a really weird rap. Yeah you are being treated for a mental disorder, but it's not like it's an outpatient thing. You're still in prison, the walls are just soft.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Insanity is not a 'get out of jail' card in most places.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

ChristopherRobin posted:

Stuff like this that acknowledges that 99% of the population had guns, but imply that if only the 1% of Jews had them then the Holocaust never would have happened tell me that these people would do absolutely nothing as long as it doesn't personally affect them.
Well there was that one time the Jews in Warsaw led an armed resistance to the Germans, and they were taken prisoner and sent off to concentration camps, or burned to death in their hiding places, causing up to 300 German casualties at a cost of 13,000 immediate Jewish deaths and 58,000 deportations I mean they ended WWII early by personally marching into Berlin and using their individual guns to shoot Hitler.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

ChristopherRobin posted:

Oh, here's a nice Youtube video on this exact line of bullshit. The modification of weapons laws to specifically target the Jewish population came after Kristallnacht. It came 5 years after Dachau was established and 3 years after the Nuremberg laws. Also yeah, it's not like the Jewish population never fought back.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Shadin posted:

Yah there was a good article a while back about treating kids who had been identified as psychopaths at an early age. Usually because they attack siblings and pets with the intent to kill as like 3 year olds. And explain their plans to parents because they are little kids who don't understand yet why they would conceal plans to murder family members.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Arglebargle III posted:

Yah there was a good article a while back about treating kids who had been identified as psychopaths at an early age. Usually because they attack siblings and pets with the intent to kill as like 3 year olds. And explain their plans to parents because they are little kids who don't understand yet why they would conceal plans to murder family members.

God what do you even do if your kid is a sociopath? That sounds like a nightmare.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Knight posted:

God what do you even do if your kid is a sociopath? That sounds like a nightmare.

you have to send them to a facility for early intervention to basically drill instructor a sense of emotional resonance into them, and teach them that negative social behavior has consequences. sociopaths aren't inherently monsters, they just have broken emotions and so normal feedback loops of empathy, guilt, and shame to correct bad behavior won't fire properly. you want to do this as soon as possible, but the problem is that nobody wants to admit their eight year old girl is a full on sociopath. it's a very tricky condition to diagnose in children, since the younger they are they dont have much control or understanding of their own emotions anyway and its hard to tell broken emotions from just someone who is bad at handling their emotions because they're six. but let it go too long and it becomes more difficult to teach a sociopath how to human before they start ending up in jail

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Man, that's awful. Young children are basically sociopaths already, trying to pick out the ones that are actually dangerous is a hell of a thing.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
When an entire population has arms it's incredibly easy to declare them all enemy combatants and waste them without a second thought.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Why are these fucks turning a spree killer into a misunderstood antihero

Because they're on the side of the white supremacist murderers. Until the shooting, they were always saying that kids today are too coddled, I was bullied and I turned out okay, and women are too quick to accuse people of sexual harassment, so we gotta elect this sundowning anus-faced clown to grab our daughters by the pussy and trigger them snowflakes!

It's just like how they're fine with talking about running over Black Lives Matter protesters but start clutching their pearls about Nazis getting punched.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

boner confessor posted:

you have to send them to a facility for early intervention to basically drill instructor a sense of emotional resonance into them, and teach them that negative social behavior has consequences. sociopaths aren't inherently monsters, they just have broken emotions and so normal feedback loops of empathy, guilt, and shame to correct bad behavior won't fire properly. you want to do this as soon as possible, but the problem is that nobody wants to admit their eight year old girl is a full on sociopath. it's a very tricky condition to diagnose in children, since the younger they are they dont have much control or understanding of their own emotions anyway and its hard to tell broken emotions from just someone who is bad at handling their emotions because they're six. but let it go too long and it becomes more difficult to teach a sociopath how to human before they start ending up in jail

Yeah, you don't even get true emotional resonance in them, you just get enough that they can mostly function in society without too many ill effects. I remember a story about one kid who was institutionalized after murdering the family cat and talking about how he was going to do it to his sister next. After lots of intensive training and therapy, he presented as mostly normal... until he mentioned things like he still didn't think other people were real, or that he had to constantly remind himself that lying or hurting people caused problems.

Basically it's the sociopathic behavior you see in MMOs where the people aren't "real" and there aren't any consequences, except that's the way they're perceiving real life.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

ChristopherRobin posted:

The USA marched 100.000 citizens into concentration camps during WW2. Where were all the freedom loving gun owners standing up to tyranny?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Courtesy of my lovely cousin

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

Sure, when Bundy does it he is a hero but when I take over a McDonalds to protest a parking ticket I'm "deranged"

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Trivia posted:

When an entire population has arms it's incredibly easy to declare them all enemy combatants and waste them without a second thought.

It really doesn't matter if they have arms or not. What matters is that they happen to be "military-aged males". That sounds threatening enough for nobody to give a gently caress if you murder them.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Other chickhawk poo poo those fuckers are on record saying

"Make sure to use your wife and kids as human shields, got to protect the DPS after all."

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Ainsley McTree posted:

lol, I just had this pop up too. I love how it says right there in the post that when the BLM did something that might have been illegal he sued them for it and the courts agreed that they were indeed in the wrong and corrected it. Like it literally explains that they went through the established process of redress and it worked as intended. The standoff had absolutely nothing to do with it and didn't affect that outcome. This post is just the ultimate embodiment of gun fantasy impotence.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Also wasn't the Bundy case thrown out because of a mistrial, not because the judge ruled Vanilla ISIS was in the right?

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
the guy that posted these has managed to be bad enough to be banned from Twitter

https://twitter.com/BettyBowers/status/980819542120239104?s=19

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Ainsley McTree posted:

Pretty sure Bundy was cleared of his criminal charges related to the standoff, but nothing more.

He still owes money and he still isn't allowed to tresspass on Federal land.

He just got off the hook for his mini-rebellion.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

seiferguy posted:

Vanilla ISIS

That is a loving pro tier username.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

OwlFancier posted:

That is a loving pro tier username.

Did you miss those when they first went around then? I think there was also "Y'all Qaeda" and another one as well.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Evidently because I had a good laugh at that one.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Don't forget Yeehawdists, and its various spellings.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Yokel Haram was probably my fave of the bunch.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

boner confessor posted:

It's also actually perfectly possible for a child to grow out of sociopathy. I read recently that antisocial behavior, whatever the underlying disorder, is generally called "conduct disorder" before the age of 15. It's possible that a child can just be born a remorseless monster but that is extraordinarily rare. There's also the problem that children just are pretty narcissistic by nature. Their brains aren't all there yet and almost everybody grows out of that. For a lot of reasons something can go wrong; one of them is just "this person's brain was never right and never will be." Charles Manson in particular was already committing burglaries before he was even a teenager and was just a monster his entire life. There's no confirmation but there's belief that Ted Bundy committed his first murder at 15. Some people just come out incredibly wrong. Awful trauma during childhood can put somebody on that path or make it worse but really it's a complex thing.

Which is actually the first thing I came here to post...it's easier to deal with mass murder, mass shootings, school shootings, serial killers, and whatever if we can figure out that one trait that they all share. If we can find that one thread then we can say "this isn't our fault at all, these people were just broken." Then we can ignore our violent culture, our gun fetishism, and our love of carpet bombing countries we don't like and watching it on the news. America is an inherently violent culture and that doesn't help. Yet everybody wants to blame the music, blame the video games, blame the movies, blame the media every time somebody shoots up a place. We want to magic the problem away without actually having to do anything. It's easier to find something to blame than it is to actually fix the problem.

It's also terrifying to think that the problem of people who can do such things won't go away. Whether we like it or not some people are just psychotic. Others are mostly normal but snap for some reason. The thing is it's common to believe that if we can find the profile of a mass murderer then we can prevent it before it happens. This is part of why mental health keeps getting brought up even though we know the gun crazies that want to blame insanity for everything don't want to actually fund any solution other than more guns and more prisons. If you can find the profile then you can find the people to watch and catch them before they put their plans in place.

The problem? There loving isn't one. The "bullied loner" narrative sounds great because it suggests that you can fix the problem by just ending bullying. Simple! Convince people not to bully each other as kids and nobody shoots up a school ever again. Plus basically everybody agrees that it would suck to have your kid be bullied into becoming violent or self-destructive so it isn't hard to get support for. Well I mean social support. We just need to say "don't be a dick" at people a lot while the conservatives hem and haw about actually funding the efforts. Then they start scoffing and saying "bullying isn't the problem people just need to be tougher and learn to take the knocks" and nothing ever changes.

The problem isn't even guns in and of itself. There's no one thing that can solve the whole problem. The issue is that we can't admit that the problems even exist in the first place. Guns is part of it. Society is part of it. Bullying is part of it. Dismal mental health treatment is part of it. Even if we fix all of those things the problem won't completely vanish which is the other thing; everybody only ever wants a magical solution that will 100% vanish all the problems. There isn't one so nothing ever changes. And despite all that each side of the argument says "my solution is 100% perfect and will fix it if you people would quit sabotaging it."

The problem isn't one side or the other; the problem isn't individuals that fit a profile. The problem is us collectively. We can't prevent every shooting but we can do things to reduce them but that would involve admitting America's problems overall. Good loving luck on that one.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Yes but in the meantime you could make guns slightly more difficult to purchase than McDonald's cheeseburgers, like most civilised countries have and that would go a long way towards stopping, you know, people getting slaughtered in historical-record numbers

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They let his little rebellion win because the government learned from Waco and doesn’t want another unibomber. That’s why these redneck gun orgys get to sit in their poo poo for a month while they stare at each other and then leave.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Weatherman posted:

Yes but in the meantime you could make guns slightly more difficult to purchase than McDonald's cheeseburgers, like most civilised countries have and that would go a long way towards stopping, you know, people getting slaughtered in historical-record numbers

Yup. Our stupid gun laws are definitely the biggest problem I just get tired of people acting like it's the only problem. I really do wonder how much of the problem would be solved by just closing the drat gun show loophole nationwide. Allowing private citizens to just go "well hey I didn't think he'd murder anything so I sold him a gun. What's the big deal? Just ignore that I didn't even ask his name or anything. Who am I to judge?" is a massive problem.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

So what I'm taking away from all of this is... people who were jewish bullied hitler in high school? :ohdear:

Wow these fucks are dumb / cruel and selfish / both.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If i didn't sell him a gun he would have just murdered all those people with his bare hands. Wouldn't you rather be shot than beat to death? So in a way, the guns are a net positive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

In an alternate universe it was a weapon of mass destruction and that's how we got Shadowrun.