Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

It sure the hell is. I was going to say "isn't this thread full of people making that much on salary?" but then remembered that's the programming thread. Sorry CJs :(

16k would be something like 260 yearly if it was post-tax. I’m guessing some of it is pre-tax, though, since some of it was 1099 consulting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

:eng99:

I really wish they'd bring back Start Menu folders as an option. This is one of several software packages on this image with start folders like that, and not even the worst.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

16k would be something like 260 yearly if it was post-tax. I’m guessing some of it is pre-tax, though, since some of it was 1099 consulting.

If pre-tax, it's just about double my salary but way more than double the number of hours I work.

And there are plenty of people in this thread higher paid than me.

Hungry Computer posted:

I really wish they'd bring back Start Menu folders as an option. This is one of several software packages on this image with start folders like that, and not even the worst.

I haven't clicked on start menu since 7 or vista. Win-typetosearch and never look back.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The Fool posted:

If pre-tax, it's just about double my salary but way more than double the number of hours I work.

And there are plenty of people in this thread higher paid than me.

I haven't clicked on start menu since 7 or vista. Win-typetosearch and never look back.

Yeah, 12k of it is pre-tax. 4k of it is from my w2 job.

Post-tax it's closer to $11,800 :smith:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Still nothing to sneeze at, but holy gently caress that's a lot of hours to work in one month.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Hungry Computer posted:

<snip>

It never went away. Notice how all the stuff under WonderWare is indented and there's an up-pointing arrow in the upper right of WonderWare's entry? Click it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The start menu has always been super messy unless you janitor the gently caress out of it.

Its best feature these days is you can type to find an app, no need to gently caress around with a folder structure or that endless scrolling list.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

keseph posted:

It never went away. Notice how all the stuff under WonderWare is indented and there's an up-pointing arrow in the upper right of WonderWare's entry? Click it.
I think they mean subfolders. Microsoft got rid of those in Windows 8.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

xzzy posted:

The start menu has always been super messy unless you janitor the gently caress out of it.

Its best feature these days is you can type to find an app, no need to gently caress around with a folder structure or that endless scrolling list.

Especially on a fresh install of Windows 10. "Hey here's literally everything you don't care about because you're not one of six people fully vested in the Microsoft Store ecosystem!"

Resume note: Don't you dare loving brag about axing a company's PRI lines in favor of Comcast Business connections because it saved money. Instant DQ.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

keseph posted:

... I mean subfolders. On windows 7 the main shortcuts are at the root and the rest are all in subfolders like Tools, Support, Docs. I've been using search since Win7, but most users still navigate the Start Menu. It's not a huge functional issue, it mostly just looks bad. That said I've started asking instructors which of those extra items are safe to remove. I expect the answer to be "most of them".

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
You know, I was using some mapped network locations in windows 10 today and thought to myself "wouldn't it be awesome if a security group granting you access to a folder also mapped the network location for you?". Of course checking group policy revealed that this wasn't an option as they have not put network locations in group policy yet. And no, I don't want to script it even in group policy because that seems dumb for what should be a feature already.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Especially on a fresh install of Windows 10. "Hey here's literally everything you don't care about because you're not one of six people fully vested in the Microsoft Store ecosystem!"

Resume note: Don't you dare loving brag about axing a company's PRI lines in favor of Comcast Business connections because it saved money. Instant DQ.

Pros: figured out how to troubleshoot telco SIP issues
Cons: had to figure out how to troubleshoot teclo SIP issues

Back in my VOIP days, when I wasn't hiding in server closets trying to hang myself with an ethernet cable, this was a common conversation with Broadview/Paetec/RCN etc:

VOIP tech: weird, it looks find from our end

JMJF: well the smart jack has a red light on it

VOIP tech: it looks fine here

JMJF: weird, do you see the CPE?

VOIP tech: yes it all looks fine

JMJF: *unplugs PRI cable* how about now?

VOIP tech: yes, it all looks fine, no alerts

JMJF: *rips smart jack off wall* how about now?

VOIP tech: yes, it's fine nothing has changed

JMJF: * takes sledgehammer and beats down wall and pulls out all the cabling back to the building d-marc* how about now?

VOIP tech: wait my computer is slow...........ok yes it looks fine

JMJF: *builds killdozer IT edition, welds himself inside, and destroys building, goes on rampage until swat team drops a flash grendate down exhaust stack* how's it look now?

VOIP tech: I don't see any problems, have you tried power cycling your gear yet?

JMJF: *faced with no options, eats a bullet*

VOIP tech: Mr McJerkface, are still connected?

JMJF: ...

VOIP tech: Ok, thanks I'm going to go ahead and mark this ticket as closed, please call us back if you need any further assistance.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Here's another example where it creates more of a problem. This software has annual releases, but I have to keep multiple versions installed for different courses.

On win7 the different years are shown in different subfolders. Win10 shows all of the shortcuts under Sage, then cuts off the year part. By default the only way for the user to differentiate the two is to hover over one until the full name pops up. It's not a difficult for me to fix post-install, but it still feels like an oversight on Microsoft's part.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Nah, everyone's gonna have a 3D printer soon!

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Pros: figured out how to troubleshoot telco SIP issues
Cons: had to figure out how to troubleshoot teclo SIP issues

VOIP tech: Ok, thanks I'm going to go ahead and mark this ticket as closed, please call us back if you need any further assistance.

Being a jerk here can actually help.

[rear end in a top hat] "I just unplugged the PRI entirely. Nothing is there, it is physically not connected any more."

[VIOP 'tech'] "I still see it on my end"

[rear end in a top hat] "Then you're either looking at the wrong PRI or you're lying to me, and neither incompetence or malice will fix my issue, can you get your supervisor on the phone for me please?"

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

[rear end in a top hat] "I just unplugged the PRI entirely. Nothing is there, it is physically not connected any more."

[rear end in a top hat] "Then you're either looking at the wrong PRI or you're lying to me, and neither incompetence or malice will fix my issue, can you get your supervisor on the phone for me please?"

We had the wrong circuit disconnected once...about an hour after

"Can you tell us if there's an issue with our circuit"

Sir I cannot find that circuit on your account

"It's circuit ID ZXBSG#!#23-942342 we have had it for 2 years"

Sir that circuit is not in our system

"Okay well I'm looking at it and it has a big AT&T sticker on it with that number"

Sir are you sure it is plugged in

"Yes, it's plugged in"

Sir we cannot find that circuit on your account

An hour or two goes by, I'm calling every person at AT&T I've ever worked with. Every email, business card...finally get someone who can see on the account that the circuit was disconnected, we were back up within 5 minutes.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

100% honest truth is almost that exact conversation with a telco tech got me my username. A co-worker heard me lose my mind when I told them I had the CABLE FOR THE PRI UNPLUGGED IN MY HAND SO HOW COULD THEY SEE IT ONLINE and he called me a "jerky mcjerkface".

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
I am *really* hoping our new CEO and existing CFO take my security proposal for a new CISO position seriously.

For years now I've thought my current boss is capable of being a good manager. I'm beginning to think I'm wrong.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

100% honest truth is almost that exact conversation with a telco tech got me my username. A co-worker heard me lose my mind when I told them I had the CABLE FOR THE PRI UNPLUGGED IN MY HAND SO HOW COULD THEY SEE IT ONLINE and he called me a "jerky mcjerkface".

My CIO tasks me to talk to vendors based on if he wants someone to go nuclear on them or not. I don't really find myself wanting to be an rear end in a top hat, but the moment one of those situations describe happen I lose my poo poo.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

tactlessbastard posted:

Today I got called for the 6th time about a job in freaking Minnesota.... night coverage.

There's nothing wrong with Minnesota. The weather's great here. (We're supposed to get 6-10 inches of snow over the next two days.)

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Hey, if getting rid of PRI lines will result in me getting ice cream, I’m all for it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Minnesota would be way more awesome if it had mountains.

As it is it's just "pretty cool" which for the flyover states is a huge compliment.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bob Morales posted:

So we bought a SaaS sales tax solution and integrated it with our accounting software. Cool.

CFO: why are we charging tax for X, Y, and Z?

Uh because it's telling us to? See the transaction details show these tax codes in these states blah blah

CTO: make it stop charging tax on those things we never charged tax on them before!

Uhhh

We didn't want to charge sales tax on shipping costs back then (quoted post is like 2 years old)

Just got out of a sales tax meeting. Turns out we should have been charging tax on shipping this whole time! I was right motherfuckers! I fought our CFO over this for weeks and then just gave up.

Guess who got in trouble by like 3 states. :lol:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I just had an ad redirect while viewing this thread.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Had to do this once when an ISP tech was insisting they were seeing no connectivity issues to our CPE router, after I'd pulled the power out.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
It frustrates me to no end, because if you're the VOIP Tech in that exchange...

... And you don't immediately follow up with a friendly discussion about "let's get some clarification here because we're definitely looking at two different things so let's make sure we're working on the same issue here" then you're exactly the person who I hate to work with.

What do you think the follow up is going to be?

[rear end in a top hat] "Oh, sorry, everything must be fine, I appreciate your time"

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

no go on Quiznos posted:

There's nothing wrong with Minnesota. The weather's great here. (We're supposed to get 6-10 inches of snow over the next two days.)

I don't have anything against MN except that it's an 11 hour drive from all my siblings, my ailing parents and all my wife's family.

Also I ain't goin' back to night shift while I've still got kids at home (for less than $Texas)

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

It frustrates me to no end, because if you're the VOIP Tech in that exchange...

[rear end in a top hat] "Oh, sorry, everything must be fine, I appreciate your time"

"I still see it on my end, which I shouldn't. Can you verify the PRI line ID and the MAC address of the equipment you're connecting?"

That'll get you to get them to at least verify that they aren't talking about that edge gateway whatchmacallit box that the front desk lady helpfully labeled MODEM in sharpie on masking tape. The actual modem is some ancient Daltron beige box tucked at the very back of the closet, hanging off a 66/100 block. This covers the half the time the user is wrong, lying, or otherwise a fuckup.

The other half the time the system is outright wrong somehow, either because someone hosed up the location data for that circuit vs. the other branch location across town, or because the status screen is the amalgamation of some horrible franken-abortion of like 8 mergers over the last 25 years. Given how halfassy most of the techs seem, and the 'one touch, unable to undo or rollback' nature of half the config system backends, a random tech updating the wrong field for the wrong account can't not happen on a daily basis in some of these outfits.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

The other half the time the system is outright wrong somehow, either because someone hosed up the location data for that circuit vs. the other branch location across town, or because the status screen is the amalgamation of some horrible franken-abortion of like 8 mergers over the last 25 years.
Only 8 mergers over 25 years? What slow-and-steady telecom vendor do you do business with?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Aunt Beth posted:

Only 8 mergers over 25 years? What slow-and-steady telecom vendor do you do business with?

Two coastal towns in japan suffer a severe case of sunburn, ending WWII->The great sundering of Ma Bell->Mismanaged Bell Fragment->lovely regional consolidation->Berlin wall falls->Consolidation fails, sells phones to other provider -> Provider outsources core functions overseas -> Clinton impeached -> new owners unfuck things just enough to milk it until present day.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Two coastal towns in japan suffer a severe case of sunburn, ending WWII->The great sundering of Ma Bell->Mismanaged Bell Fragment->lovely regional consolidation->Berlin wall falls->Consolidation fails, sells phones to other provider -> Provider outsources core functions overseas -> Clinton impeached -> new owners unfuck things just enough to milk it until present day.
Oh, so Frontier

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Which is worse: having a bunch of patch cables all unlabeled and a spaghetti vomit nightmare, or having them labeled but incorrectly?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Bigass Moth posted:

Which is worse: having a bunch of patch cables all unlabeled and a spaghetti vomit nightmare, or having them labeled but incorrectly?

If they're neat enough to not have to tear out and redo from scratch, they're neat enough to at least attempt to trace out and apply correct labels to. If you need a machete, three days of provisions and a guide just to find the switches under the cable vomit, the only thing you'll find is madness, since why would the switches be configured sanely either?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Bigass Moth posted:

Definitely the latter.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Hungry Computer posted:

Right-click on one of those entries and select "More..." then "Open File Location" and you should be able to add folders yourself.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

dragonshardz posted:

Right-click on one of those entries and select "More..." then "Open File Location" and you should be able to add folders yourself.
Those folders will not do anything; their contents will spill out into the parent folder, because Microsoft removed the capability of the Start Menu to have subfolders as of Windows 8.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

anthonypants posted:

Definitely the latter.

I'd rather know I'm walking into a shitshow than have the false confidence that labelling would bring

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Bigass Moth posted:

Ehhh the question is, is it ME messing with the cabling or someone else? If it's someone else, I'll take the former, because if the latter happened I'm sure 10 cables would get unplugged and then whomever it is would call me anyway, extremely confused and unable to think "maybe poo poo is labeled incorrectly" without me telling them that.

What's that? I'm an rear end in a top hat, yes, yes I am, and everyone is dumb.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

We didn't want to charge sales tax on shipping costs back then (quoted post is like 2 years old)

Just got out of a sales tax meeting. Turns out we should have been charging tax on shipping this whole time! I was right motherfuckers! I fought our CFO over this for weeks and then just gave up.

Guess who got in trouble by like 3 states. :lol:

Not you, the CFO has to explain to the board why they have to back pay without consulting a tax assessor. A fate worse than wrong. But it's literally tax101 if you have presence in a state you add tax? Sure some states will shake their coffers at you but you can always shine them on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Never mind. I sound petulant.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 3, 2018