Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Aunt Beth posted:

What's everyone's opinion on Cloudflare's new DNS offering, 1.1.1.1 (and 1.0.0.1)? I like the sort of LetsEncrypt ethos they seem to have.

The service seems interesting, but hilariously is the site for it down currently?

Site loads for me?

I like it, actual competition to googles 8.8.8.8 can only be a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Aunt Beth posted:

What's everyone's opinion on Cloudflare's new DNS offering, 1.1.1.1 (and 1.0.0.1)? I like the sort of LetsEncrypt ethos they seem to have.

The service seems interesting, but hilariously is the site for it down currently?

I set it up at home but can't get to it at work so I dunno what's up.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Inspector_666 posted:

I set it up at home but can't get to it at work so I dunno what's up.

There are probably a ton of bogons/null routes for 1.1.1.1 and similar because who would ever legitimately use that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What do you mean by the Let's Encrypt ethos?

DNS over HTTPS seems a good addition.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Methanar posted:

There are probably a ton of bogons/null routes for 1.1.1.1 and similar because who would ever legitimately use that.

Well, APNIC would like to legitimately use it.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

What do you mean by the Let's Encrypt ethos?

DNS over HTTPS seems a good addition.
I meant Lets Encrypt ethos as in DNS is a pretty complex beast and there's a company trying to make it a little more intelligible to the average person, as well as trying to shine a bit of a security light onto it. Most folks either don't know it exists at all because everything is autoconfigured by whatever ISP provides their cable modem at home, or choose to generally ignore it because it's stable (a lot of IT). Let's Encrypt did the same sort of thing with making the certificate management process vastly less painful.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
gently caress.
Someone pushed out KB4011730even though we decided not to and now my inbox has blown the gently caress up and my ticket count has doubled in the last 20 minutes.

Curiously... how did nobody notice they couldn't open .docx files until just now?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
"Confidential" documents isn't even a real business justification either. Our door badges are scanned at the printer to release the document from the print queue. We only have 1 printer "installed" on every computer, and the users walk up to any printer in the building on any floor, touch their card to the reader and out comes the print job.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I thought cloudflare getting 1.1.1.1 was an April's fools joke. At least I think it's hilarious considering how many HA IP addresses and WLC virtual gateways for web auth are 1.1.1.1 . I guess some people will get to use it.

At least when people use it for nexus heartbeats they are in their own vrf....usually

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Ranter posted:

"Confidential" documents isn't even a real business justification either. Our door badges are scanned at the printer to release the document from the print queue. We only have 1 printer "installed" on every computer, and the users walk up to any printer in the building on any floor, touch their card to the reader and out comes the print job.

You see, this is the "correct" way to actually handle this problem. That's too easy for the company that I previously worked at.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sepist posted:

I thought cloudflare getting 1.1.1.1 was an April's fools joke. At least I think it's hilarious considering how many HA IP addresses and WLC virtual gateways for web auth are 1.1.1.1 . I guess some people will get to use it.

Part of their announcement said that APNIC wanted to see what kind of garbage was in fact aimed at this IP, but their equipment couldn't handle the flood. Cloudflare gets a desirable IP for their service, APNIC gets to use Cloudflare's infrastructure to collect data.

This is going to expose a lot of badly configured stuff, especially because (surprise, surprise) Cisco apparently boneheadedly recommends its use for a lot of things in their documentation.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

In a way it's decent because people complaining that this service doesn't work might force people to fix their poo poo.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Ranter posted:

I want to know what the gently caress magic this is.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://www.nuance.com/print-capture-and-pdf-solutions/print-management-solutions/equitrac/follow-you-printing.html

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

adorai posted:

I want to know what the gently caress magic this is.

Literally every company that manages printers sells a product like this, and sometimes multiple. Here are a few off the top of my head:

Papercut, Equitrac, Follow Me, Follow You, PrinterOn, Streamline NX

And there are way more.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
We use one that I can't remember the name of. Pulls an AD field we dump employee numbers into, which are barcoded on IDs. Print to either a black and white queue or a color queue, walk up to any printer, scan ID, release jobs. Super easy for users and for management.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Thanks Ants posted:

In a way it's decent because people complaining that this service doesn't work might force people to fix their poo poo.

*changes everything to 1.1.1.2*

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The only complaint we've had is "but I'm trying to print x-number pages and don't want to wait at the printer while it prints waaaaaaaaaaa".

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Ranter posted:

The only complaint we've had is "but I'm trying to print x-number pages and don't want to wait at the printer while it prints waaaaaaaaaaa".

I've also had this complaint from people who sit 18 feet from a printer.

Get the hell up, the amount of work I need to put in so you can belazy is insane.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

gently caress printers now and forever in every possible way

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There is one printer service call I wouldn't mind making.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/02/iss-new-hp-printer/

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

We support the Xerox 6027 MFD for our remote workers. They're about as reliable as a printer can get based on real world ticket counts and not very expensive at all. Xerox still knows laser printers.

Unlike those solid-ink pieces of poo poo. Just last week I had to change a wiper blade, a consumable item. I had to remove a fan, a motor, and a mechanical assembly held together only by gravity to do it.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
"gently caress printers" was the theme for our departments April Fools joke last year actually

The documentation had instructions like:

1. Select Print
2. Select 'Reading Station'
3. Wait 15 minutes for document to upload to reading station
4. Read document at reading station. The default reading time is 3 minutes
5. If you need to extend the reading time, go to step 1.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
The only thing worse than printers is April Fools' Day

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I try not to work on april fools, if i can help it. Too many dumb pranks played on IT.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Either April Fools' Day or St Patrick's Day is my least favorite holiday. Thank the universe for placing them close together so I can get them over with.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Not sure if I’m the one in an echo chamber, but I was talking to IT consultants recently who have heard about “this DevOps thing” but have no idea what it is.

They never heard of CI/CD or automation tooling, let alone containers (“we’re in IT, not logistics/transport hahahah”). I was really surprised, these are people who have triple digit hourly rates who work for international well known companies (think big 4).

I thought the whole DevOps culture would be pretty much well known nowadays and you’d have to kive under a rock not to know at least a little bit of what these things mean and how they work.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Either April Fools' Day or St Patrick's Day is my least favorite holiday. Thank the universe for placing them close together so I can get them over with.

April fool's day is the best holiday. Don't you have kids? How could you not enjoy pranking the gently caress out of them and then conspiring against your wife for the best jokes of the year?

Right there with you for St Patrick's day though, I went most of the day forgetting it was a thing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Judge Schnoopy posted:

April fool's day is the best holiday. Don't you have kids? How could you not enjoy pranking the gently caress out of them and then conspiring against your wife for the best jokes of the year?

Right there with you for St Patrick's day though, I went most of the day forgetting it was a thing.

I think most people forget about St Patrick's Day by the end of it :beerpal:.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I can see why April Fools would be an annoying day to work. But what's bad about st patricks?

All I know is people dress in green and go out drinking?
Pardon my ignorance

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
Skip to the bottom for the tl;dr

I’m coming up on near fifteen years in the same area of IT and for "reasons" am finding myself at a cross road. During that time I have gone from support all the way through to my current senior position. The pressures of the last year have me thinking about where I might go when considering my longer term future now that things have reached a more stable point. My last few years has been largely management focused. This despite the fact that upon taking a position with the company I now reside in, I deliberately entered as a technical member and neglected to note my previous managerial experience. It did not take the CEO long to pull me aside and state "It's clear you have far more experience than just being a systems administrator" and bam, I fell right back into management.

We were acquired over the last year or so. The acquisition caused the loss of our senior management and technical staff. Including our CEO and CTO. Due to oddities of the acquisition process I was somehow left de facto in charge of absolutely everything with everyone reporting to me. Prior to this I had reported to the CTO and CEO but this was no longer an option and I was left with everything and feeling very out of my depth with the only direction given being "make it work". We were left alone as our new overlords tended to other acquisitions as they acknowledged they did not really know what they were going to do with us. decisions that at every turn made being the guy in charge one of the most difficult things that I have had to do so far in my career.

Against all odds including a mass exodus of the majority of senior technical staff, redundancies, the gutting of our funding for both staff and marketing activities, I along with those I manage (Would have been impossible without them) have somehow not only maintained the business, but have managed to grow it. Estimates suggest continued growth this year. To be fair it has not been easy on any of us but as a team we have managed it, it’s something I am very proud of and never something twelve months ago I thought we could have achieved during the especially tough times.

In order to achieve this I had to step back majorly from day to day technical work. Essentially I had to finally accept that I was no longer a "Systems Administrator" and that I had more important things to attend too despite my reservations regarding future career prospects. Not just for me but for those who now looked to me for direction. My time has been spent mentoring, training, working with vendors and partners, communicating and reporting to our overlords, managing our processes, pre-sales, account management, dispute resolution and so on. There was no other option other than to step back and let others take over my technical capacity.

TL;DR I accidentally became “the” senior management and suddenly found myself with a company full of employees staring at me for direction, somehow I pulled it off. Again, only with the assistance of those I worked with, I am not Superman, it was a group effort.

The problem I now have is I feel lost in where to go from here should I choose to leave. Which is possible as things are taking a turn that I rather dislike. It’s a longer story so I will not go into it but suffice to say the passion for many of us is finally managing to die out. Despite our success we are seeing very little reward or acknowledgement for what we have achieved. Despite this as "management" I am doing my best to remain positive in business hours and I continue to give my best and I ask the same for everyone beneath me, it just feels right, that being said I know it wont last forever.

I no longer know what to aim for when looking at what I should do next, I no longer know what it is I even do or how I do it now to be honest. There is so much I oversee, I jump from business unit to business unit, meeting to meeting, from one project to another and every day its dealing with completely different and often unrelated business concerns that ensures for most part I am a jack of all skills and master of poo poo all. I am not even sure if I still work in IT half the time given how little time I spend touching actual systems.

If I had to describe my current position in one sentence:

"Every day I have to make decisions that impact the entire business with often little advance prior notice or time to consider them before a decision is required and I have to hope to hell they are the right ones if we all still want to be employed in six months, sometimes I still get to push to our git repos like a real person".

I have spent so long on autopilot with my only focus being “Keep everything running, keep my those who rely upon me employed and in good health and do the best I can on a daily basis to do what is right”. It used to be easy, people asked what I did and I could say “I am a Linux systems Administrator”, these days I have no idea how to answer it, hell I hold two titles now and neither one of them makes any sense when I think of what I actually do.

I have asked those close to me personally and professional for advice, everyone says the same thing, that I should be looking for a senior management or even a CTO position but I feel that accidentally falling into that as opposed to actually pursuing it for a living are two very different things. I have had no mentorship, no training hell I have not even had someone who could call me out and help me improve or even a chance to breathe, I just had to step up to the plate and do it and live with the consequences good or bad. For all I know I could be terrible at this and everyone just thinks I am good because they don't know any better. As for CTO there is no way I have maintained enough technical knowledge as I have let it slip to be in a role that technical.

Has anyone else ended up in this position? I am left wondering if I try and ream myself back into technical mode for the next six months and go for a raw technical position or if I instead focus on gaining real management/project management training and certification, embrace my seemingly natural talent and go down that way. It's hard to get a feeling of how what I do translates in the larger scheme of things. I never considered that this would be a position I would be in, I never looked past "I want to be an admin and do cool poo poo", I never set out to climb the ladder or even attempt to do so, its just happened.

Putting money and career development aside, my passion has always been the same. I want to do the best I can for my clients and my staff, any position that allows me to achieve great outcomes for those two groups is my passion. I love seeing and helping people excel and grow. I am not a status quo kind of guy, I like to be engaged and I like to work with engaged people.

I am thinking a sideways movement to service delivery could be a thing seeing as its a large part of what I do on a daily basis and I seem to be quite good at it, who knows. I feel lost. I keep getting offers to do sales / account managment / presales as well which I feel is quite odd as I am quite sure I am the opposite to what you want from a sales guy. I wont sell anyone anything unless I feel it's the right fit, even now I do not hesitate to send a client to a potential competitor of I feel its what is better for their business and needs, I am sure that would not go down well in a sales role hahah.

Who knows, just had to get it out I guess.

tl;dr

Accidentally senior management. Not feeling confident enough in any aspect of what I do to cement down a career direction moving forward, what have others done?

insidius fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 3, 2018

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Kids?

Compared to you folks I am one!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

insidius posted:

Skip to the bottom for the tl;dr

I’m coming up on near fifteen years in the same area of IT and for "reasons" am finding myself at a cross road. During that time I have gone from support all the way through to my current senior position. The pressures of the last year have me thinking about where I might go when considering my longer term future now that things have reached a more stable point. My last few years has been largely management focused. This despite the fact that upon taking a position with the company I now reside in, I deliberately entered as a technical member and neglected to note my previous managerial experience. It did not take the CEO long to pull me aside and state "It's clear you have far more experience than just being a systems administrator" and bam, I fell right back into management.

We were acquired over the last year or so. The acquisition caused the loss of our senior management and technical staff. Including our CEO and CTO. Due to oddities of the acquisition process I was somehow left de facto in charge of absolutely everything with everyone reporting to me. Prior to this I had reported to the CTO and CEO but this was no longer an option and I was left with everything and feeling very out of my depth with the only direction given being "make it work". We were left alone as our new overlords tended to other acquisitions as they acknowledged they did not really know what they were going to do with us. decisions that at every turn made being the guy in charge one of the most difficult things that I have had to do so far in my career.

Against all odds including a mass exodus of the majority of senior technical staff, redundancies, the gutting of our funding for both staff and marketing activities, I along with those I manage (Would have been impossible without them) have somehow not only maintained the business, but have managed to grow it. Estimates suggest continued growth this year. To be fair it has not been easy on any of us but as a team we have managed it, it’s something I am very proud of and never something twelve months ago I thought we could have achieved during the especially tough times.

In order to achieve this I had to step back majorly from day to day technical work. Essentially I had to finally accept that I was no longer a "Systems Administrator" and that I had more important things to attend too despite my reservations regarding future career prospects. Not just for me but for those who now looked to me for direction. My time has been spent mentoring, training, working with vendors and partners, communicating and reporting to our overlords, managing our processes, pre-sales, account management, dispute resolution and so on. There was no other option other than to step back and let others take over my technical capacity.

TL;DR I accidentally became “the” senior management and suddenly found myself with a company full of employees staring at me for direction, somehow I pulled it off. Again, only with the assistance of those I worked with, I am not Superman, it was a group effort.

The problem I now have is I feel lost in where to go from here should I choose to leave. Which is possible as things are taking a turn that I rather dislike. It’s a longer story so I will not go into it but suffice to say the passion for many of us is finally managing to die out. Despite our success we are seeing very little reward or acknowledgement for what we have achieved. Despite this as "management" I am doing my best to remain positive in business hours and I continue to give my best and I ask the same for everyone beneath me, it just feels right, that being said I know it wont last forever.

I no longer know what to aim for when looking at what I should do next, I no longer know what it is I even do or how I do it now to be honest. There is so much I oversee, I jump from business unit to business unit, meeting to meeting, from one project to another and every day its dealing with completely different and often unrelated business concerns that ensures for most part I am a jack of all skills and master of poo poo all. I am not even sure if I still work in IT half the time given how little time I spend touching actual systems.

If I had to describe my current position in one sentence:

"Every day I have to make decisions that impact the entire business with often little advance prior notice or time to consider them before a decision is required and I have to hope to hell they are the right ones if we all still want to be employed in six months, sometimes I still get to push to our git repos like a real person".

I have spent so long on autopilot with my only focus being “Keep everything running, keep my those who rely upon me employed and in good health and do the best I can on a daily basis to do what is right”. It used to be easy, people asked what I did and I could say “I am a Linux systems Administrator”, these days I have no idea how to answer it, hell I hold two titles now and neither one of them makes any sense when I think of what I actually do.

I have asked those close to me personally and professional for advice, everyone says the same thing, that I should be looking for a senior management or even a CTO position but I feel that accidentally falling into that as opposed to actually pursuing it for a living are two very different things. I have had no mentorship, no training hell I have not even had someone who could call me out and help me improve or even a chance to breathe, I just had to step up to the plate and do it and live with the consequences good or bad. For all I know I could be terrible at this and everyone just thinks I am good because they don't know any better. As for CTO there is no way I have maintained enough technical knowledge as I have let it slip to be in a role that technical.

Has anyone else ended up in this position? I am left wondering if I try and ream myself back into technical mode for the next six months and go for a raw technical position or if I instead focus on gaining real management/project management training and certification, embrace my seemingly natural talent and go down that way. It's hard to get a feeling of how what I do translates in the larger scheme of things. I never considered that this would be a position I would be in, I never looked past "I want to be an admin and do cool poo poo", I never set out to climb the ladder or even attempt to do so, its just happened.

Putting money and career development aside, my passion has always been the same. I want to do the best I can for my clients and my staff, any position that allows me to achieve great outcomes for those two groups is my passion. I love seeing and helping people excel and grow. I am not a status quo kind of guy, I like to be engaged and I like to work with engaged people.

I am thinking a sideways movement to service delivery could be a thing seeing as its a large part of what I do on a daily basis and I seem to be quite good at it, who knows. I feel lost. I keep getting offers o do sales / account managment / presales as well which I feel is quite odd as I am quite sure I am the opposite to what you want from a sales guy. I wont sell anyone anything unless I feel it's the right fit, even now I do not hesitate to send a client to a potential competitor of I feel its what is better for their business and needs, I am sure that would not go down well in a sales role hahah.

Who knows, just had to get it out I guess.

tl;dr

Accidentally senior management. Not feeling confident enough in any aspect of what I do to cement down a career direction moving forward, what have others done?
I'm in a similar position. I've had my eye on a CTO-type role for the past six years or so, but the path I've been taking to get there has been zig-zagging a lot more than I imagined it would. I went from managing a team of sysadmins at a biotech nonprofit to working as an IC for a startup, to working under another team lead there, to switching positions with him, to moving the operations team into a Site Reliability Engineering model and hiring a bunch of software engineers, to our software engineers taking over a bunch of product responsibilities, user safety, and taking ownership of our customer support division — basically anything in the realm of "make sure users have a good time on the service."

It sounds like you have a good idea what you want, but I would caution against letting impostor syndrome convince you that you're not up to the task for a CTO role just because you happened to stumble into where you are now. You had an opportunity and you were able to rise to the occasion; clearly your bosses' trust in you was not misplaced. It's good to feel like you could use mentorship or that you have opportunities to improve; it demonstrates a tremendous self-awareness and it demonstrates that your first commitment is to making sure you aren't letting down any of your subordinates. That's what leadership is.

CTOs aren't necessarily deeply technical people. Many of them aren't. In medium to larger companies, the CTO is often the executive responsible for aligning the technical strategy with high-level business objectives, while the VP of Engineering or a similar role is responsible for the day-to-day tactical execution. The two of them work tightly hand-in-hand to make sure the right things are being done the right way. To paraphrase Roy Rapoport, at a director level or higher, your answer to the interview question "how do you make technical decisions?" should be "I wouldn't."

I recommend joining the Rands Leadership Slack, which is full of people from all kinds of different tech leadership backgrounds, many of whom got there the same way you did (check out the recent discussion in #help-and-advice when you join). Maybe the CTO track isn't for you, and listening to others will help you bear that out. But if you're good at what you're doing by accident, imagine what you can accomplish if you put your head to being as good in your role as you're capable of being.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 3, 2018

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Sefal posted:

I can see why April Fools would be an annoying day to work. But what's bad about st patricks?

All I know is people dress in green and go out drinking?
Pardon my ignorance

Can't speak for anyone else but here in NYC we get invaded by idiots from the suburbs who act like animals and throw up green beer all over the place. The only days that's worse is Santacon.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Matt Zerella posted:

Can't speak for anyone else but here in NYC we get invaded by idiots from the suburbs who act like animals and throw up green beer all over the place. The only days that's worse is Santacon.

Now imagine if you lived in Southie instead.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Kashuno,
Just a heads up this Friday all the majors are expecting tariffs on tech from China to be announced maybe as high as 25% if you have coming projects you may want to look at them this week

That's one way to get people to consider buying stuff

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Vargatron posted:

Now imagine if you lived in Southie instead.

No thanks.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Insidius, this is good advice here^

Some people learn by being dumped into the deep end like you. And, from what you say, it looks like you have an aptitude for it. I’ve reported to CTOs who were MBAs and CTOs who started out as computer touchers. The best ones were the former techies.

If you absolutely have your heart set on a technical role, do that. Don’t do something if you’ll be miserable, regardless of whether you’re good at it or not. HOWEVER, if this is just uncertainty and self-doubt at making such a big step.. I say follow Vulture Culture’s advice and get more information to make an informed decision.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A guy here seems genuinely confused why I can’t go to bat for him after he’s been told repeatedly by his line manager to stop working on something trivial and focus on a more important issue, but has ignored them to the extent it’s now causing a problem

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Week 3. Still do not have write access credentials to the network so I can't participate in maintenances. Was given a project to configure two ASRs in a e-line, but all the questions I have for the build-out require 3 meetings they've scheduled. So basically just billing 40 hours a week to sit on conference calls.

I still don't get how companies justify roles like this.