Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

RoboRodent posted:

Facebook is intent on throwing me every jewel painting ad imaginable but the thought of all those tiny jewels makes me anxious. I would definitely drop them and I'd be finding tiny rhinestones on the floor forever.

Fortunately, they are plastic. Unfortunately, you'll never be able to walk barefoot in your house again without finding one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
What the gently caress is jewel painting.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

What the gently caress is jewel painting.

I was too afraid to ask.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I almost smug-posted "ugh just google it" but googled it first and I am equally confused.

Some sort of paint-by-numbers glitter-art-for-grownups bullshit?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Sorry correction, I was too disinterested to google it and too apathetic to ask.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

hailthefish posted:

Some sort of paint-by-numbers glitter-art-for-grownups bullshit?

Yep. You use a little tool to place individual shiny plastic bits on top of a bit of artwork. Mom's working through Van Gogh right now.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Sounds like a slower version of an adult coloring book. Which is a legit thing, so whatever. :shrug:

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I still don't really understand because google is only showing me like, mandalas and people painting literal rocks or pictures of gems.

Is it just like lovely mosaic or something??

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Interior Design Thread: Is it just like a lovely mosaic or something??

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I think it's like latchhook but with little plastic jewels or something? I always am shown those jewel painting results when I'm looking for cross stitch patterns/ideas.

Edit: yeah, what Suspect Bucket said.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Search ali express for "5d diamond jewel painting" or similar

The listings are all in broken english but they have a lot of great images so you can get the idea.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It's like a cross stitch pattern, but instead of a stitch each space is a glued on bit of plastic or rhinestone.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...2803991797.html

See, simple! And so classy!

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I understand it now, thank you and sorry I was so bewildered, I literally could not find it on google.

Looks like fiddly bullshit imo I'll stick with cross stitch if I want to craft and aggravate my carpal tunnel.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I love embroidery and knitting and weaving (so I'm into obsessive, repetitive crafts, is what I'm saying) and I cannot imagine dealing with plastic bead jewels like that. That's so many tiny fiddly objects. It takes all sorts, I suppose!

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
The effort-to-result ratio is just bad. When I first heard of it, I was imagining something like faceted stained glass, which actually would look decent in the right kind of home (Victorian / Queen Anne). This just looks like a chintzy poster you'd get at a mall kiosk, only super labor intensive.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

vonnegutt posted:

The effort-to-result ratio is just bad. When I first heard of it, I was imagining something like faceted stained glass, which actually would look decent in the right kind of home (Victorian / Queen Anne). This just looks like a chintzy poster you'd get at a mall kiosk, only super labor intensive.

Basically. But it relaxes her. And you know what, she's had a rough life, and if she just wants to poke plastic and watch alien documentaries, who am I to stop her.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Suspect Bucket posted:

Basically. But it relaxes her. And you know what, she's had a rough life, and if she just wants to poke plastic and watch alien documentaries, who am I to stop her.

Just wait until you have to clean out her house and you find a gazillion of these things stuffed everywhere. :negative:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It's just the fun of doing it that's important.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPJLyHZFWRc

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Suspect Bucket posted:

I am all in favour of your support of her. :)

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I prefer paint by numbers for my tacky art projects.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Just wait until you have to clean out her house and you find a gazillion of these things stuffed everywhere. :negative:

Yes, but I'll get to host the craftiess, most glittery estate sale.

I'm also considering the feasibility of a craft supply swap meet. Other people must have this problem, where they move on to other crafts and have a ton of old supplies left over. Why not swap?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Because those sort of people will never admit they'll never finish or restart something and keep everything forever

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I have a box of craft materials in my attic that is fifteen years old. :cripes:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Suspect Bucket posted:

Yes, but I'll get to host the craftiess, most glittery estate sale.

I'm also considering the feasibility of a craft supply swap meet. Other people must have this problem, where they move on to other crafts and have a ton of old supplies left over. Why not swap?
There's a fabric shop out in California or something that is entirely second hand, and has a section for half finished projects. They apparently do pretty good business.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

there wolf posted:

There's a fabric shop out in California or something that is entirely second hand, and has a section for half finished projects. They apparently do pretty good business.

:looks at one half of a quilt, then another:
Hmmmmmmmmmm

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
There are at least two leftover/unfinished craft supply stores in Kansas City. I've been to the sewing specific one (Fabric Recycles, where you can buy partially pieced quilts OR bring them in for cash/store credit) but not the more general supply one (Scraps KC). In fact I am currently lounging under a blanket knit from a ton of second hand yarn from Fabric Recycles and the thrift store, plus all the odds and ends I accumulated over 10 years of knitting.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

heck that sounds wonderful

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Suspect Bucket posted:

:looks at one half of a quilt, then another:
Hmmmmmmmmmm
Just sew them together and you'll have a whole one. :v:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Collateral Damage posted:

More like "just buy both halves and a pile of other things, add them to your craft pile room and struggle to shut the door"

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I have a box of craft materials in my attic that is fifteen years old. :cripes:

Lol.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Contents included: https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/450-W-Grixdale_Highland-Park_MI_48203_M37779-89409?cid=soc_shares_ldp_fb#photo0

Edit: oh wait, did we already see this one? :rip:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

WrenP-Complete posted:

Edit: oh wait, did we already see this one? :rip:

If it's the one that looks like a giant sneezed on the 50s then yeah

Edit: turns out I'd merged two past links in my head, this being the 50s half

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 4, 2018

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Yeah we saw that one.

But not this 1970s Michigan time capsule!

yes that is mushroom wallpaper

The best bathroom

It's like a weird mixture of Tudor, Victorian, and mid-century design that makes no sense yet works somehow. Whoever buys this had better keep the wallpaper.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I feel like that's really close to looking nice, it just needs a lot less texture.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I feel like that's really close to looking nice, it just needs a lot less texture.

Yeah I actually even like a lot of the wallpaper, I’d just maybe confine it to an accent wall or something. You know like it’s 2009.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Youth Decay posted:

It's like a weird mixture of Tudor, Victorian, and mid-century design that makes no sense yet works somehow. Whoever buys this had better keep the wallpaper.

Ow. Don't stumble in the bathroom and accidentally brush your bare skin against that wall.

This house reminds me that as a kid in the 70s you had to be real careful with your balloons. Especially helium balloons. A couple times I came home from the circus or whatever with a helium balloon I'd managed to not lose all day outdoors, only to have it pop when it touched the apartment ceiling. :cry:

#Just70sThings

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

That is glorious, I want to smell it

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

John Edward's second (?) home for sale in Chapel Hill, NC.
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article180839771.html

quote:

Orange County property records show Edwards still owns the nearly 26,000-square-foot estate at 1201 Old Greensboro Road, which sits on more than 100 acres. The total land and building value is listed at $4.45 million, according to 2017 property records. The total value was previously listed at about $5.58 million in December 2016.

The five-bedroom main house is linked to a four-bedroom guest annex, centered on a full-size basketball court with a UNC-Chapel Hill theme. Edwards graduated from the UNC School of Law. The main house is about 10,800 square feet.

The house also has 11 bathrooms; vaulted ceilings; an arched stone wall and fireplace; wide-board pine flooring; a game room with its own kitchen, pool table and fireplace; an exercise room; men’s and women’s locker rooms; a sauna; a handball court; a covered, heated swimming pool; an elevator; skylights; covered terraces; an outdoor kitchen; and a four-car garage.

The Edwards family bought the land in 2004 for $1.32 million, according to Orange County property records. The land previously belonged to Paul and Robert Guthrie, county records show.

The Edwardses and their two younger children moved in to the gated estate in 2006, after Edwards was unsuccessful in his bid to be vice president as John Kerry’s running mate in 2004. Edwards would launch his own unsuccessful campaign for the presidency in 2008.

wall words

pool

rock climbing fireplace

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Youth Decay posted:

Yeah we saw that one.

But not this 1970s Michigan time capsule!

You've got your own VFW / American Legion Post right in your own basement! "Attention, everyone, Nurleen and Flo will be your bartenders tonight, and there's a half-price special on chicken tenders and Budweiser."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

A MIRACLE posted:

That is glorious, I want to smell it

mmmmmm old people leavings like such as skin flakes *breath* mmmmmm feel them nestle into the folds of your mucosa *breath* carry them inside you