Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Dave Inc. posted:

That works in cities where speed differentials aren't as high, but out in the country that seems like a sure-fired way to get dead.

No. Hugging the white line makes you harder to see and makes it easier for people to try to sneak by.
Riding a few feet into the road is significantly safer (generally the right tire line). It is where drivers expect to see things in the road, so it is where they are actually looking.
Additionally, around corners that can be hard to see around one can be much, much more invisible if you are hugging the line. In the road there is less obstruction.

It is also safer because it makes cars actually pass you rather than try to squeeze by in a lane that isn't quite wide enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

FuturePastNow posted:

What's with all the people spinning out while turning at intersections? Do Utes have so little traction they can't gently turn and accelerate at the same time?
Big motors and tiny brains. No worries!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1Ajf_LULvk

The plate is hard to see, but if I pause it just right I can just make out a handicapped symbol. Maybe in this case they meant MENTALLY *sensible chuckle* .

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Cartoon posted:

Big motors and tiny brains. No worries!

While this is the main reason, isn't it also true that pickups are really light on the read axle with crappy weight distribution when they are empty? Since you have to design them to work when fully loaded.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

spog posted:

While this is the main reason, isn't it also true that pickups are really light on the read axle with crappy weight distribution when they are empty? Since you have to design them to work when fully loaded.

Sure, but I've driven pickup trucks for years and never spun out in rain or snow. Just gotta keep tires on the thing and not drive like a loving idiot.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

spog posted:

Most times you see it they are just poo poo drivers and tyres. But it can be a little sketchy with a 1 tonne ute unloaded (hard leaf springs with thicker or extra leaves, truck tyres needed for full load rating - that normally don't have grip in the wet due to hard compound and walls), add the low down torque of something like a barra that just wants to spin wheels... Combine that with a slick oily road surface due to lovely cars on the road leaking oil as there's no inspections in WA

E:That said though, I've never spun in the wet in the ute (just in my old RXs when I was a young dumb idiot novice driver and I had hard extra leaf springs in them too)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Apr 1, 2018

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
From my local subreddit, a biker narrowly avoids getting creamed and does a sick edge grind on the underside of a flipped SUV :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYimlrucN4s

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Holy gently caress.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

IOwnCalculus posted:

Holy gently caress.

Yeah, I love the jog to the edge of the road. Gotta get some distance from your near demise.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

sharkytm posted:

Yeah, I love the jog to the edge of the road. Gotta get some distance from your near demise.

That's a smart reaction while you've still got the adrenaline going. When I got knocked off my motorcycle I just laid down in the middle of the road like a chump.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Every time I've gone asphalt surfing it's very much been a *tumble* gently caress, that hurts *try to stand, fall over because still moving at 40mph+, tumble, gently caress that hurts, tumble, try to stand again, repeat

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
One thing I learned from skateboards and bicycles is that you want to minimize the contact with asphalt as much as possible. So when you fall, tumble and move, never freeze up. Every second your skin is touching the pavement, the less skin you have. That skillset served me remarkably well during a 65 mph motorcycle accident.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It's fun until you tumble head over heels and smash the back of your head every revolution

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's critically important to know whether you are running away from your accident into the path of a vehicle that is still at speed and swerving to avoid the wreck. By all means get on your feet and get to safety if you can, but don't run blind.

nm posted:

No. Hugging the white line makes you harder to see and makes it easier for people to try to sneak by.
Riding a few feet into the road is significantly safer (generally the right tire line). It is where drivers expect to see things in the road, so it is where they are actually looking.
Additionally, around corners that can be hard to see around one can be much, much more invisible if you are hugging the line. In the road there is less obstruction.

It is also safer because it makes cars actually pass you rather than try to squeeze by in a lane that isn't quite wide enough.

Small data point, but a buddy of mine who uses this strategy gets garbage thrown at him, furious drivers wildly swerving around him, etc. because him not hugging the knife edge of the road and actually forcing drivers to slow down to his speed until it's safe to pass inspires road rage in probably like 1% to 5% of the insufferable rednecks he lives near. A 5 mile ride is guaranteed to draw at least one or two angry honks during the trip.

He's actually been sideswiped more than once, and used to ride without a helmet (and now he has permanent brain damage, but that was caused by different bike accidents unrelated to his insistence on full use of the lane).

I'm not saying don't do this. I'm more saying if you value your life and ride in the US, maybe completely avoid high-speed (say, 40mph+) roads that lack enough pavement along the edge for you to be passed without the driver entering the oncoming lane. It's not fair that bicyclists can't safely exercise their rights on many public roads, but don't get killed because you insisted on claiming your rightful chunk of the lane.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 3, 2018

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Your buddy needs to wear a camera and then press charges. Also post the footage here. Sena 10C is about $260 on Ebay and it's worth every penny

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Has anyone used or have any information about the aftermarket dashcams that have 4 cameras?

Something like this?

It has 4 cameras and acts as a DVR while also doing backup cam and birds eye cam views. I just wanted to know if anyone any information or thoughts on them. This won't be a purchase right now I'm just getting a feel for what is available. This would be a retrofit for an older car with no electronics at all currently, so I can pretty much do drat near anything on earth with an implementation.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Those usually get installed on RVs, because they are large enough to warrant so many cameras. On a standard car it's rather unnecessary.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nitrox posted:

Your buddy needs to wear a camera and then press charges. Also post the footage here. Sena 10C is about $260 on Ebay and it's worth every penny

My buddy has become a deblitated alcoholic who has alienated everyone he knows, including myself, so I'm done with him basically, but before he stopped having any semblance of impulse control, when his brains weren't scrambled, he was obstinate about claiming his rights as a bicyclist and extremely jaded about the consequences. It's not the best example, I just wanted to warn people that a large percentage of motorists do not understand or accept that a bicyclist is allowed to use the lane and they are obliged to slow to match that speed until it is safe to pass. Some take out their misplaced frustration in potentially fatal ways.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Leperflesh posted:

It's critically important to know whether you are running away from your accident into the path of a vehicle that is still at speed and swerving to avoid the wreck. By all means get on your feet and get to safety if you can, but don't run blind.

Small data point, but a buddy of mine who uses this strategy gets garbage thrown at him, furious drivers wildly swerving around him, etc. because him not hugging the knife edge of the road and actually forcing drivers to slow down to his speed until it's safe to pass inspires road rage in probably like 1% to 5% of the insufferable rednecks he lives near. A 5 mile ride is guaranteed to draw at least one or two angry honks during the trip.

He's actually been sideswiped more than once, and used to ride without a helmet (and now he has permanent brain damage, but that was caused by different bike accidents unrelated to his insistence on full use of the lane).

I'm not saying don't do this. I'm more saying if you value your life and ride in the US, maybe completely avoid high-speed (say, 40mph+) roads that lack enough pavement along the edge for you to be passed without the driver entering the oncoming lane. It's not fair that bicyclists can't safely exercise their rights on many public roads, but don't get killed because you insisted on claiming your rightful chunk of the lane.

I've ridden across the country and in probably half the states, including the deep south, and have always had worse results hugging the line. People try scary poo poo. If you're out in the lane, people will honk, but they tend to not hit you. A driver who honks has seen you. They don't actually want to hit you, its too much of a pain in the rear end. If they don't see you, it doesn't matter when you are on the road, you're going to get hit. Similarly, if they're going to pass you as close as possible, they're going to pass you as close as possible regardless of where you ride. Other than the honking, which honestly will happen even if you're riding in the dirt next to the road, its all going to happen. Riding a couple feet in the lane makes you more visible, gives you some safe space to flee to if you get passed close, allows you to swerve away from traffic when avoiding road hazards. Totally worth a few honks.

I've been hit 3 times:
1. Car turning in front of me when I was in a bike lane. I actually had the right to take the lane there, but didn't and it cost me. Cost her too when I sued her.
2. Car going wrong way on a one-way. I actually didn't get hit somehow, but it counts because I scraped the poo poo out of my legs diving.
3. Truck tried to pass to close when I was on the white line. Thankfully, I was just grazed and stayed upright.

I do run a sweet 1080p camera with 10 hours of battery life, so when someone doesn't see me, it will be documented. Accident 1 was caught by a bar's security camera and it really helped me out. I have it mounted real nice and visible too.

Stay out of Indiana though. gently caress those loving hicks, doesn't matter where you ride. Give me Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, or Louisiana any day of the week. (These 4 are actually the most bike friendly places from a driver perspective -- the infrastructure was terrible except for Nashville and NOLA proper -- I have ever ridden. Spoiler alert: I am white as gently caress.)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Leperflesh posted:

My buddy has become a deblitated alcoholic who has alienated everyone he knows, including myself, so I'm done with him basically, but before he stopped having any semblance of impulse control, when his brains weren't scrambled, he was obstinate about claiming his rights as a bicyclist and extremely jaded about the consequences. It's not the best example, I just wanted to warn people that a large percentage of motorists do not understand or accept that a bicyclist is allowed to use the lane and they are obliged to slow to match that speed until it is safe to pass. Some take out their misplaced frustration in potentially fatal ways.

Having done a fair amount of urban bicycling: I totally get it's the law but also not getting wrecked by cars was more on my mind than my rights. I stayed in the gutter, let people go around, and only came out into lanes to do a lefty.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

8ender posted:

Having done a fair amount of urban bicycling: I totally get it's the law but also not getting wrecked by cars was more on my mind than my rights. I stayed in the gutter, let people go around, and only came out into lanes to do a lefty.

The problem here is that you're more worried about the people who see you hitting you out of rage than the people who don't see you hitting you because you're in the gutter. The latter is way more likely than the former. Gutter cyclists are really hard to see.

The problem is that most people think of it from a driver's perspective in that they are afraid of what they see. They see a bike in the lane and think "that maniac is trying to get hit." I'm far more worried about the cyclist they didn't see or only see at the last minute. This isn't about "rights" or whatever, but about what is actually safe. What common sense tells people is safe when it comes to bikes is often quite dangerous. It leads to sidewalk cycling (which obscure the cyclist at the most dangerous point, the intersection), wrong way cycling, and gutter cycling.

The most dangerous cyclist, other than maybe the sidewalk cyclist, is the guy hugging to shoulder, weaving into the lane unpredictably to get around parked cars and debris in the road. And even more so if he's going the wrong way.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You can be right but be dead. Some people insistence that they’re “right” even in the face of very bad potential consequences is baffling.

It’s like the guy who was a colossal mega dick to an ex-con tow truck driver. Yes, when he beat your rear end he was legally in the wrong, but you played a stupid game and won a stupid prize.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Nitrox posted:

Those usually get installed on RVs, because they are large enough to warrant so many cameras. On a standard car it's rather unnecessary.

They come on Toyotas now since the 2016 model year? Also BMW, Mercedes and a couple other brands, on normal commuter vehicles.

http://www.serratoyota.com/blog/toyota-birds-eye-view-monitor-system-work/

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 3, 2018

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The birds eye view is definitely one of those features you scoff at until you use it. Super nice.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

You can be right but be dead. Some people insistence that they’re “right” even in the face of very bad potential consequences is baffling.

It’s like the guy who was a colossal mega dick to an ex-con tow truck driver. Yes, when he beat your rear end he was legally in the wrong, but you played a stupid game and won a stupid prize.

It's not about being right, it is about not being dead. I'm far more worried about the million distracted drivers who won't look for something on the edge of the road and the other hundred thousand who will try to fit in a lane that won't safely hold a bike than the one dude who has extreme road rage. He might try to hit me on the white line too because he thinks I should be riding in the dirt.

If I wanted to be right over dead, I could do many other things like not assuminh every single car is going to turn right in front of me.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

The birds eye view is definitely one of those features you scoff at until you use it. Super nice.

I felt the same way about backup cameras until I got into a car with a decent one and a nice, large screen. It saw a car coming around the large SUV parked next to me way before I could, and now I'm a fan.

But I still drive a 98 CRV so it'll be a while before I get a car that has one.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

nm posted:

It's not about being right, it is about not being dead. I'm far more worried about the million distracted drivers who won't look for something on the edge of the road and the other hundred thousand who will try to fit in a lane that won't safely hold a bike than the one dude who has extreme road rage. He might try to hit me on the white line too because he thinks I should be riding in the dirt.

If I wanted to be right over dead, I could do many other things like not assuminh every single car is going to turn right in front of me.

Yeah, I wasn’t replying to you specifically. Just an observation in the conversation of the guy with brain damage.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yup mostly what I"m seeing is a good argument against biking on public roads with cars going above maybe 30 to 40 MPH. The rest is just details, and figuring out which way reduces your risk to something that is still way too high but maybe not as high as the other way.

I live in cities and have never tried cross-country riding, and even if I wanted to, I'd be deterred by how dangerous it seems to me to be. I haven't done like an injuries-per-miles-ridden analysis or anything of course, so it's not like some scientific conclusion I've drawn. I'm just kind of OK with riding on much slower traffic city streets, and sticking to things with four or more wheels for the higher speed/long distance stuff.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I've been bike-commuting for seven years now in the Pacific Northwest, about ~30k miles in that time. I can't speak for other US regions, but here it's generally not a great idea to ride on roads even if they have dedicated bike lanes. Drivers will right-hook, pass way too close, honk, scream, throw poo poo, or plain not see you at all. Granted, it doesn't happen very often but it was enough for my sensitive soul I guess. I now avoid riding on roads as much as I can and take advantage of bike or multi-use paths, even if that means a longer commute (that's actually a benefit).
When I do have to be on roads, I choose very quiet back roads - though I've been nearly mowed down by an old lady mistaking her gas pedal for the brake. But when I do have to ride on bigger roads, I take enough of the lane to force passing vehicles into the left lane and so I have emergency space to move into.

Just my experiences.

PS: Agricultural truck drivers are the biggest dicks, no contest.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Yup mostly what I"m seeing is a good argument against biking on public roads with cars going above maybe 30 to 40 MPH. The rest is just details, and figuring out which way reduces your risk to something that is still way too high but maybe not as high as the other way.

I live in cities and have never tried cross-country riding, and even if I wanted to, I'd be deterred by how dangerous it seems to me to be. I haven't done like an injuries-per-miles-ridden analysis or anything of course, so it's not like some scientific conclusion I've drawn. I'm just kind of OK with riding on much slower traffic city streets, and sticking to things with four or more wheels for the higher speed/long distance stuff.

The 55mph roads in the middle of no where are in the middle of nowhere so there are way fewer cars to hit you.
I also find that rural people in general drive a touch more carefully (probably because deer take out their hoods annually) and seem a lot calmer. They're also used to being slow moving traffic like tractors and Ernie's beat to poo poo 40 year old pickup that won't shift out of 2nd. Other than commuting and when I'm trying to GTFO of the city, I don't do much urban riding. Suburban riding however is the most lovely because you combine the urban drivers with the speed limits of rural areas.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
What's defacto dashcam nowadays? I see the OP has the G1W, but it's from 2013, so what does everyone use now?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

TheFonz posted:

What's defacto dashcam nowadays? I see the OP has the G1W, but it's from 2013, so what does everyone use now?

G1W - The G1W is still a solid entry-level camera, just make sure it comes from a good seller like Blueskysea or Black Box and has a supercap instead of a battery. Also, don't expect it to last for more than a year, some do but it's not that uncommon for them to start to die, the one in my wife's car has been going for about 3 years now and just started on its way out but I went through two others that lasted about 11 months.

A118/A119 - These are pretty universally recommended and have some two-camera options now too. Just be aware that there are a whole lot of dashcams that have the same shell but use garbage internals. They're usually called something else . I think there's also a fair amount of variety within the A118 series as far as what processor/camera it has depending on when it was manufactured. So do some research before buying to make sure it's a legit A118 and, if you're paying full price, that it has the most up-to-date internals.

Mobius - The Mobius is a little dated at this point but is still a good choice if you're not looking to spend too much and it has the added benefit of being able to double as an action camera if that's something you want.

MINI 0806/0906 - The Mini dashcams are getting solid reviews at a great price point, the 0806 has been around a while, it initially had some QA and firmware issues so it's reviews look a little low on sites like Amazon, but AFAIK those have all been resolved so now it's a solid single cam and they more recently released the 0906 dual cam which I just put in my car and has been great, especially if you're looking for a front and rear camera system for less than $200 which is almost impossible to find.

On the upper end, Blackvue is king but is priced accordingly, you really can't go wrong with anything they make. Garmin also makes some solid but pricey cameras, as does Panasonic.

I've also heard that Yi is making dashcams now? They were the first Chinese manufacturer to build a action cam that could compete with GoPro but at a faction of the price, so I wouldn't be surprised if their dashcam is pretty good for the money. I don't know anything else about them though so :shrug:

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 6, 2018

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Everyone has moved on from the g1w except me. Mines still working after ~5 years. But I'm an outlier plus I did heaps of research on where/whos to buy beforehand (not all are created equal). Anyway, my knowledge is out of date.

techmoan does good camera reviews . That's where I first heard of dashcams and the g1w.
http://www.techmoan.com/blog/category/car-dvr-dashcams

Also check latest recommendations at dashcamtalk for usa https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/
Interesting side by side comparisons there, plus a lot of dedicated forums for each type to give you an idea how many different ones are out there and how popular they are.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 6, 2018

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Move over Russia! There's a new kid on the block!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZyOt5wgIvI

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Fo3 posted:

Everyone has moved on from the g1w except me. Mines still working after ~5 years. But I'm an outlier plus I did heaps of research on where/whos to buy beforehand (not all are created equal). Anyway, my knowledge is out of date.

I'm sure I will be cursed by posting this, but my G1W was 4 years old last month, is a battery version, not super-cap, and it's still working fine. *knocks on wood*

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Fo3 posted:

techmoan does good camera reviews . That's where I first heard of dashcams and the g1w.
http://www.techmoan.com/blog/category/car-dvr-dashcams

Also check latest recommendations at dashcamtalk for usa https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/
Interesting side by side comparisons there, plus a lot of dedicated forums for each type to give you an idea how many different ones are out there and how popular they are.

Ha, me too, except I bought the first one I found at the lowest price, still going after 5 years. Pure dumb luck

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I'm pretty close to buying one of the front and rear camera setups linked here https://dashcamtalk.com/best-dash-cams-of-2017/

However I'm concerned about the GPS/Speed thing that folks in this thread had brought up before, so I was hoping to get one without. But it looks like most of them come with it.

Do the ones with GPS come with an option to turn GPS off? It looks like one of them has an option to not show speed on the video - is that good enough?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Just about every GPS-equpped one has a separate antenna. Just don't use that part/plug it in.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

dexter6 posted:

I'm pretty close to buying one of the front and rear camera setups linked here https://dashcamtalk.com/best-dash-cams-of-2017/

However I'm concerned about the GPS/Speed thing that folks in this thread had brought up before, so I was hoping to get one without. But it looks like most of them come with it.

Do the ones with GPS come with an option to turn GPS off? It looks like one of them has an option to not show speed on the video - is that good enough?

Yeah, it'll almost always either have a separate antenna you can just not connect or will be able to turn it off in the settings.

If it doesn't have a separate antenna it might be worth asking on the dashcam forums to find out if it logs GPS data, because with some cameras even if you turn it off in the menu so that it doesn't burn in the GPS data to the footage the camera may still log it in the metadata or in log file. My MINI 0906 has separate options to turn off GPS HUD and GPS logging so you have to make sure to set both of them or you have to buy the mount that doesn't have the GPS receiver built in which is hard to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Thanks Everyone :D