Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

cis autodrag posted:

Yeah but he's just the worst outgrowth of a toxic culture. Vice had multiple editors who were writing about how the alt-right is bad and feminist issues (including the male chief editor of their women's section) who were secretly constantly emailing with breitbart people and alt-righters about how all feminists suck balls and giving them heads up on breaking news.

A lot of their presenters and on the ground reporters are great but their management is the same regressive poo poo as any other big media organization.

oh yeah i forgot about the alt right poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

didn't mcinnes get kicked out pretty early?

he was kicked out before it turned into a massive media empire but he was there for years and years.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

oh yeah i forgot about the alt right poo poo

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/7b4gbb/fashion2-v9n7 :mmmhmm:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

cis autodrag posted:

Yeah but he's just the worst outgrowth of a toxic culture. Vice had multiple editors who were writing about how the alt-right is bad and feminist issues (including the male chief editor of their women's section) who were secretly constantly emailing with breitbart people and alt-righters about how all feminists suck balls and giving them heads up on breaking news.

yeah, that poo poo was beyond pale

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

who the gently caress is naomi wu

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Endless Mike posted:

a girl who both does nerd stuff and is attractive so since obviously those cannot both be true at once there must be some shenanigans

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

luckily for you, vice just wrote an article where you can read all about her.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

i may be a turbo square, but what’s up with the photos of the fashion models that are peppered throughout that asinine story. is their style supposed to be ~evocative~ of new conservatism? are the models new conservatives?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the best part is that she only wants to conceal her husband/paramour to defend herself from even more poo poo flung by internet monkeys

if she were a man with a spouse who shared her interest in hobbyist electronics it would be fun and cool, but as a woman, people just want to ascribe her projects to a man offscreen

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

President Beep posted:

i may be a turbo square, but what’s up with the photos of the fashion models that are peppered throughout that asinine story.

I had to click to make sure this wasn't another wu joke

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

TimWinter posted:

I had to click to make sure this wasn't another wu joke

the only woo i know of pisses on rugs.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

JawnV6 posted:

"well, she didn't technically say no," uhhhhh how has this defense faired for you in other contexts?

do you think victims of harassment would be pleased that their story could be broadcast against their explicit wishes? is that a good form of support?

infernal machines posted:

how very fair and balanced of you. what other wisdom or sage advice do you have re: believing people who claim to have been harassed?

gently caress you both, assholes.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

President Beep posted:

the only woo i know of pisses on rugs.

it really tied the room together, man

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the best part is that she only wants to conceal her husband/paramour to defend herself from even more poo poo flung by internet monkeys

if she were a man with a spouse who shared her interest in hobbyist electronics it would be fun and cool, but as a woman, people just want to ascribe her projects to a man offscreen

a bunch of people on the internet can also harbor fantasies of relationship bliss with a nerdy waifu if she's still single.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
I read the Wu article and I must have missed the bad part? It revealed she was married, which is her private life, but she was making a big deal about how they discussed her sexuality? I don't know...whatever.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Oh, I see. Yeah this last part I get, but the article was clearly framing it as being false internet gossip.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

President Beep posted:

i may be a turbo square, but what’s up with the photos of the fashion models that are peppered throughout that asinine story. is their style supposed to be ~evocative~ of new conservatism? are the models new conservatives?

nazis are ~*sexy*~ now, you see. hugo boss an all that

VICE wanted to make sure you know it's not just middle american chuds

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Avenging_Mikon posted:

gently caress you both, assholes.

Obviously neither of you read my post or were interested in actually correcting what you thought was a bad opinion, just dunking on what you thought was a bad person.

I didn’t say the reddit harassment didn’t happen, I said Vice said they wanted to include it to help other people. I didn’t say Wu was in the wrong, I’m saying their story is massively different from the other side in terms of what the reaction was. If Wu said no, absolutely not at *any point* about including that stuff, and Vice pushed her, that’s poo poo. If Vice avoided it at first, then came back and said "we want to include this," and Wu didn’t want it included, she has the right to ask them to pull the whole story.

But the story from Vice was Wu asked them to do stuff they don’t do for anyone and started maligning the author immediately. I feel like poo poo’s being left out, and if I don’t want to immediately call either side trash, then I’m loving well allowed to without being compared to someone who minimalizes sexual assault.

So again, go gently caress yourselves.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

nazis are ~*sexy*~ now, you see. hugo boss an all that

VICE wanted to make sure you know it's not just middle american chuds

i like how the narrative about people who think immigrants should assimilate with white society was juxtaposed with the picture of the dude who brought his own turban from home.

:thunk:

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
The internet makes fools of us all.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Obviously neither of you read my post or were interested in actually correcting what you thought was a bad opinion, just dunking on what you thought was a bad person.

I didn’t say the reddit harassment didn’t happen, I said Vice said they wanted to include it to help other people. I didn’t say Wu was in the wrong, I’m saying their story is massively different from the other side in terms of what the reaction was. If Wu said no, absolutely not at *any point* about including that stuff, and Vice pushed her, that’s poo poo. If Vice avoided it at first, then came back and said "we want to include this," and Wu didn’t want it included, she has the right to ask them to pull the whole story.

But the story from Vice was Wu asked them to do stuff they don’t do for anyone and started maligning the author immediately. I feel like poo poo’s being left out, and if I don’t want to immediately call either side trash, then I’m loving well allowed to without being compared to someone who minimalizes sexual assault.

this is an incredibly bad post

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Avenging_Mikon posted:

whats the point to drudging up old sexist drama that wu clearly wants to leave behind? it's clearly dumb sexism "but woman cant make there must be man make!!" and theres no point for vice to include it, like, at all unless they want to piss off naomi wu???

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Avenging_Mikon posted:

You are forgetting the basic rule of "believe victims" and being really nasty in the process. You should slow down and stop digging the hole.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

remember, vice was founded by the man who started the Proud Boys

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

i'm actually surprised the guy who started vice started a crew that doesn't beat off

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Avenging_Mikon posted:

nice meltdown?

i mean you posted your opinion and got a response, this isn't d&d, we don't have to do paragraph by paragraph rebuttals. just lol and move on, it's yospos

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

i'm actually surprised the guy who started vice started a crew that doesn't beat off

...unless they're within 10 feet of a woman. it's hard to resurrect old school masculinity when your followers are all basement dwellers beating it to cartoons. you gotta have rules

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Avenging_Mikon posted:

If Wu said no, absolutely not at *any point* about including that stuff, and Vice pushed her, that’s poo poo. If Vice avoided it at first, then came back and said "we want to include this," and Wu didn’t want it included, she has the right to ask them to pull the whole story.
this poo poo's been building for weeks, if Wu had the ability or "right" to ask them to pull the whole story, it was obviously exercised and Vice didn't give a poo poo and published anyway. if you really care about the issue at hand and not your, er, posting integrity, here's Namoi's quotes about what she had deemed off limits:
https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/980949349147467776
Wu did not want it included. Full stop.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

you could also: not say poo poo

like nobody was clamoring for your (ignorant, uninformed, gleefully unaware) opinion, you're free to go look at her tweets on the matter which, to me, make it really clear that Vice was misleading at every step of the process and went against her wishes in a way that made her unsafe. barging in to claim how ~*above it*~ you are and maybe just give the billion-dollar media company a chance to air their side, amidst them actively destroying her income? god, what a hill to pick

i mean you posted your opinion and got a response, this isn't d&d, we don't have to do paragraph by paragraph rebuttals. just lol and move on, it's yospos
w/e i post how i want

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

vice was founded by the creepy ex-pat fucks responsible for exile.ru

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Avenging_Mikon posted:

why on earth would you assume vice, a bunch of barrel scraping muckrakers, has the moral high ground on anyone

particularly a chinese internet sensation who just enjoys making hobbyist electronics and putting them on youtube. for gently caress's sake

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

JawnV6 posted:

w/e i post how i want

:supaburn:

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

https://twitter.com/alicegoldfuss/status/980948356833755136

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

this is the exact spot that apple engineer was killed a couple weeks ago if that wasn't apparent

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I’m sorry. I’m a shithead, and shouldn’t let my personal stuff get in my posting.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FCKGW posted:

this is the exact spot that apple engineer was killed a couple weeks ago if that wasn't apparent

the apple engineer crashed in silicon valley and the road signs in that video say indiana.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

the apple engineer crashed in silicon valley and the road signs in that video say indiana.

sigh, indiana is what the locals call san jose

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

well i'm a big dumb idiot then

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

“exact spot” being on the cosmic scale. :rolleye:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Im sorry. Im a shithead, and shouldnt let my personal stuff get in my posting.

don't worry, i do the same thing all for far dumber poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Avenging_Mikon posted:

vice's story is that she just freaked the gently caress out and declared open war on vice for absolutely no reason whatsoever, which seems dubious

it seems more plausible that vice are loving liars, especially since they went and got her Patreon taken down, which is totally unacceptable