Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

VelociBacon posted:

Anyone else have issues where OK Google commands don't get heard in the car? Even when parked and it's quiet?

I programmed my headunit to have a dedicated voice command button since weekly ok Google stops working.

Also lol at buying a car for a stereo. Android Auto headunits are not that expensive and are pretty easy to install. Hell, Crutchfield will talk you through the whole process on the phone if you are stuck.

Unless you have a manufacturer headunit that controls your AC or something. That poo poo sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I have a ~deep crystal blue~ Mazda 3 and it's a lovely colour but it shows dirt and dust so drat easily

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

Unless you have a manufacturer headunit that controls your AC or something. That poo poo sucks.

Or as this is known today "every car".

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

I should replace the nav unit in my 2014 Subaru Impreza. The navigation is trash and I never use it and the interface overall sucks and it's too easy to accidentally change off bluetooth from the steering wheel. The bluetooth works fine but I'd love to try Android Auto.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Are there Android Auto head units that aren't really lovely resisitive screens?

I am really spoiled with it on my Accord, and I want to put it in my wife's car. But I tried a few models at Best Buy, and even the $700 ones feel like the touchscreen on a Palm Pilot from 1998.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

kitten smoothie posted:

Are there Android Auto head units that aren't really lovely resisitive screens?

I am really spoiled with it on my Accord, and I want to put it in my wife's car. But I tried a few models at Best Buy, and even the $700 ones feel like the touchscreen on a Palm Pilot from 1998.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-QAdlCB6HbO7/g_462450/Android-Auto-Compatible-Car-Stereos.html#&nvpair=AG_Front_Panel|FFTouchscreen_(Capacitive)

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

So I've got a 5X (over 2 years now) and from the descriptions in the thread I'm getting the impression that it's about to brick itself, so I'm on the lookout for a possible replacement in the same-ish price bracket. To be fair, if it wasn't for the bricking problem, I'd keep the phone, since I like it's battery life, camera and performance.

I mainly use it for music (android auto and regular headphones) and I'd prefer to have a mini jack, so the Pixel 2 is out I guess. I didn't have too many problems with the USB-C, but I think I'd still prefer a micro USB connector, since it can be a bit of a hassle when sharing chargers with my friends/family. Also it shouldn't be much larger than the 5x - my previous phone was a Note 3 and it was too cumbersome for me.

From reading the thread I guess I should be looking at the G5 plus, but is there anything else that I could try to check out (or wait for a release of)?

Edit: oh yeah, I live in EU, not US so I realize that some phones may have different availability I guess.

mmkay fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 2, 2018

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Nope the G5+ recommendation is very stale. The G6 is coming out very soon, and you shouldn't buy that anyway because Motorola's bang for the buck and update schedule have not been good. The company is not doing well.

Look at the Nokia 6 which is due in May.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

mmkay posted:

So I've got a 5X (over 2 years now) and from the descriptions in the thread I'm getting the impression that it's about to brick itself, so I'm on the lookout for a possible replacement in the same-ish price bracket. To be fair, if it wasn't for the bricking problem, I'd keep the phone, since I like it's battery life, camera and performance.

I mainly use it for music (android auto and regular headphones) and I'd prefer to have a mini jack, so the Pixel 2 is out I guess. I didn't have too many problems with the USB-C, but I think I'd still prefer a micro USB connector, since it can be a bit of a hassle when sharing chargers with my friends/family. Also it shouldn't be much larger than the 5x - my previous phone was a Note 3 and it was too cumbersome for me.

From reading the thread I guess I should be looking at the G5 plus, but is there anything else that I could try to check out (or wait for a release of)?

Edit: oh yeah, I live in EU, not US so I realize that some phones may have different availability I guess.

Nokia 6 (2018)
Moto G6
Xiaomi Mi A1

are the ones you should take a look at.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
A family member picked up a Huawei Honor 7x, and it seems like a legitimately decent option if you have a really tight ~$200 budget and can tolerate moderate software jank in exchange for a great screen/build quality / camera.

I might just have bad opinions, but it seems like the Huawei / Xiaomi phones are good options in the budget space, and Huawei actually sells in more markets.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
The Honor phones are really nice for the money, even with the software jank. But I don't think it has the right bands for the U.S which sucks.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

FistEnergy posted:

The Honor phones are really nice for the money, even with the software jank. But I don't think it has the right bands for the U.S which sucks.

How do you figure? This one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078NCL7GJ/ has LTE band 2(1900), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 12(700), 17(700), which is working great on T-mobile.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Given the fact that the current government has a hard on for going after those two manufacturers, I would likely pass them over because it's a crapshoot what the fallout will be.

They also likely aren't going to be budget options for very long anyways once the trade war gets into full swing.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
What cable should I buy so my Moto G5+ 'fast charges'? Mine died and the internet rabbit hole leads me nowhere

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Weaponized Cum posted:

What cable should I buy so my Moto G5+ 'fast charges'? Mine died and the internet rabbit hole leads me nowhere

I think any non-dollar store cable is fine it's about the charger itself.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FistEnergy posted:

Nope the G5+ recommendation is very stale. The G6 is coming out very soon, and you shouldn't buy that anyway because Motorola's bang for the buck and update schedule have not been good. The company is not doing well.

Look at the Nokia 6 which is due in May.

So according to amazon India it's $200 with their discount but it has 3GB of RAM and 32 storage? I hate to be the numbers/it has the wrong kind of memory :byodame: guy but what gives?

Agreed that the G6 leaked specs don't look like a huge improvement on the G5+ unless you want more (and presumably better) cameras.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

syscall girl posted:

Agreed that the G6 leaked specs don't look like a huge improvement on the G5+ unless you want more (and presumably better) cameras.

What you're really getting there is a phone that hasn't already been through at least half it's software support.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Anyone use the S9 or S9+ daily? I haven't had a Samsung since my S6 edge so I don't know the current TouchWiz situation.

I am up for renewal and even though my og pixel xl is going strong I'm still tempted at $0 (plus contract)

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Do any of these cheap android phones have NFC? I like Google Pay in theory now that most places have modern payment points.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

syscall girl posted:

If it has a regular headphone jack I'm buying it. Blows my mind that Google talked up how the first Pixel still had a headphone jack and then they got rid of it.

Who the hell is demanding this "feature"

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The Duggler posted:

Anyone use the S9 or S9+ daily? I haven't had a Samsung since my S6 edge so I don't know the current TouchWiz situation.

I am up for renewal and even though my og pixel xl is going strong I'm still tempted at $0 (plus contract)

Posters itt say it's closer to stock android than it was and overall much better with less lag

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

The Duggler posted:

Yes. What do you want to know? What are your concerns?

I think TouchWiz on the Note 8 and S9 series is fine. The hardware is powerful enough that you don't have to worry about UI jank. It just works. And, if you are really curious, you could always just visit a cellular store or someplace like Best Buy or Costco and try out a display model.

EDIT: Actually, are you based in an area with a Snapdragon S9 or an Exynos S9? The Exynos version of the S9 has issues. It performs worse and has battery life problems. I don't know if anybody in this thread has an Exynos version, so everyone's opinion has been based on the Snapdragon model.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 2, 2018

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

Do any of these cheap android phones have NFC? I like Google Pay in theory now that most places have modern payment points.

G5+ doesn't (in the U.S.), can't vouch for any of the newer/upcoming models.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Nalin posted:

I think TouchWiz on the Note 8 and S9 series is fine. The hardware is powerful enough that you don't have to worry about UI jank. It just works. And, if you are really curious, you could always just visit a cellular store or someplace like Best Buy or Costco and try out a display model.

EDIT: Actually, are you based in an area with a Snapdragon S9 or an Exynos S9? The Exynos version of the S9 has issues. It performs worse and has battery life problems. I don't know if anybody in this thread has an Exynos version, so everyone's opinion has been based on the Snapdragon model.

This is basically all I need to actually go check it out. I just wanted to know if it was a flaming mess that should be avoided.

Thanks!

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Given the fact that the current government has a hard on for going after those two manufacturers, I would likely pass them over because it's a crapshoot what the fallout will be.

They also likely aren't going to be budget options for very long anyways once the trade war gets into full swing.

I'll say "gently caress the government" and recommend the Huawei Mate SE. It's an Honor 7x with more ram (4GB) and 64GB of storage.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0791VS3N9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_QTRWAb2FPTA16

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Mental Hospitality posted:

I'll say "gently caress the government" and recommend the Huawei Mate SE. It's an Honor 7x with more ram (4GB) and 64GB of storage.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0791VS3N9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_QTRWAb2FPTA16

This looks like a great phone. It's getting 8.0 right?

E- what's a good phone for my wife in the same price range? She's on Verizon though and it doesn't look like these Chinese phones are come in cdma.

always be closing fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 3, 2018

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

always be closing posted:

This looks like a great phone. It's getting 8.0 right?

E- what's a good phone for my wife in the same price range? She's on Verizon though and it doesn't look like these Chinese phones are come in cdma.

Oh yeah, they're GSM only. As far as the Oreo update...who knows. The 7x is getting beta tests of Oreo but so far nothing for the Mate SE. I would hope it would come shortly after the 7x.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

docbeard posted:

G5+ doesn't (in the U.S.), can't vouch for any of the newer/upcoming models.

When I read this I had to wonder, did it not cost more to set up production for different US and international models than leaving the NFC in? And if so why do this? Are Americans stupid and paranoid enough that they think their identity can be stolen even if they never set up payment?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

US is gonna be different anyway because of the need for cdma support

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Anyone have issues with pixel 2 (XL) desyncing from your chromecast once you've started casting something? I'll start netflix or spotify or another app to cast something to my TV, and then after locking my phone and watching for a while i'll unlock the phone and try to pause or stop playback or do anything and the controls just don't work and I have to completely re-connect to the chromecast using the app again. Never had this issue before on any phone i've ever had. That's not even to mention the issue I've had with Netflix just stopping playback and going back to the chromecast home screen randomly

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

pissdude posted:

Never had this issue before on any phone i've ever had. That's not even to mention the issue I've had with Netflix just stopping playback and going back to the chromecast home screen randomly

I can't speak for the other apps, but this one is an issue with Netflix, not your phone. Netflix does an absolutely terrible job with casting and desyncs/disconnects all the time. I've seen this across at least 4 android phones and 2 iPhones. It's bad.

Fabio Lanzoni
Nov 9, 2006
When I listen to a solo, I think of a duo
Is the Xperia XZ1 a good buy at $450?
Looks great on paper: Snapdragon 835, 64 GB, 4GB RAM, MicroSD slot, project treble support, headphone jack and launched with Android 8.0 so it should get a couple more updates.
edit: and waterproof!

Fabio Lanzoni fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 3, 2018

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I want to buy a wallet case for my Galaxy S8. which one is the good one and won't fall off my phone like the tech21 one I bought

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
A buddy of mine went through two different cases. He is now using the OtterBox wallet case on his S8 and seems to enjoy it.

At least it hasn't fell apart on him. I normally go purely off Amazon reviews.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Fabio Lanzoni posted:

Is the Xperia XZ1 a good buy at $450?
Looks great on paper: Snapdragon 835, 64 GB, 4GB RAM, MicroSD slot, project treble support, headphone jack and launched with Android 8.0 so it should get a couple more updates.
edit: and waterproof!

I have one, it's pretty good for the price. Obviously updates are slower than the Pixel (still no 8.1 but security patches are frequent) and you have some bloatware (which I disabled and/or hide with Nova launcher) but it is fast and has good battery life. Camera is below Pixel or Galaxy quality, but still fine except for low light. Unfortunately Sony disabled the possibility to install the Google camera HDR app.
If I were to nitpick, my biggest gripes are the lack of active display (only a notification led) and the fingerprint reader position: I often just want to check my lockscreen using the power button, but the fingerprint unlock is so fast I get on the homescreen immediately :v:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I'd like a portable phone/palmtop PC for terminal usage, with a microSD card slot. How lovely an idea is the Gemini PDA?

(the alternative is buying a laptop and also a phone to do the tethering, which is less preferable to an all-in-one device that can accomplish that at least moderately well)

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
So I recently got EMUI 8/Oreo for my Honor 9 recently, and it is a loving nightmare. Besides the annoying Android System Notification, tons of messaging apps fail to work in the background properly, meaning I constantly miss or don't get messages, when starting audio playback either by BLuetooth or headset controls, it always starts the default music app instead of spotify and the "Bluetooth Connect and Play" app doesn't work anymore either so music doesn't start when connected to my older gen car radio.

Also, Gmail doesn't let me set notification sounds per label and I have to use the stupid system notification management, this is an absolute "Verschlimmbesserung".

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
For any Note8 peeps I just got the Oreo update in Canada ( Rogers ), so presumably it's already on every other North American provider if you haven't checked manually recently.

All in all, it's almost exactly the same to me, which either means it was barely an upgrade from Nougat or that Oreo has features that Samsung already had in Touchwiz.

Not complaining, at least the security patch is now at March 1, 2018. Just further reinforces how little I now care about beta testing for Google.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

TollTheHounds posted:

All in all, it's almost exactly the same to me, which either means it was barely an upgrade from Nougat or that Oreo has features that Samsung already had in Touchwiz

You're missing several not-favorable-to-Samsung options here...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Thermopyle posted:

You're missing several not-favorable-to-Samsung options here...

I'm not some sort of Samsung fanboy ( only inasmuch as I have a Samsung phone at the moment anyway ), but what exactly do you mean?

I've gone over the features list of "stock" Oreo ( minus obvious stuff like the Pixel launcher ) and it's not like Samsung has REMOVED features in Oreo, they've just got TouchWiz on top ( as ambivalent as I am towards it ). So again, it seems to me either Oreo was not a major upgrade, or Touchwiz in Nougat already had features that Oreo added for stock. The former is clearly much more likely than the latter, but the result is the same either way.

Edit: I guess it's just an expected thing in an OS life-cycle, we've reached the point ( just like iOS ) where there are no longer massive shifts where everything is suddenly crazy different and better, and it's really just minor patching.

Edit2: Just to be clear, I'm fully aware this is more about my expectations for the upgrade ( major version # going up! ) rather than what it actually offers, and that this conversation is basically 6 months old for the Pixel-havers so is probably played out at this point.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 3, 2018