Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

temple posted:

start from the golden age arc, skip back to the black swordsman. thank me later.

this is a bad idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

U-DO Burger posted:

Just start from the beginning, it's not complicated

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I know you guys are saying start at chapter one, but hear me out...

What about starting at chapter 2?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Skip the boring stuff. Start with Lost Children.

(At least there's no Griffith noise to worry about.) :munch:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Just start on the boat

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Better yet, read the manga in real time taking the same amount of time between chapters as it took to print them the first time.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Listen to Susumu Hirasawa's amazing music while reading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-et_5qY46rQ

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYX1ZLFxs8A

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

mabels big day posted:

Just start on the boat

Also stop when the boat ride ends and start reading HxH where they got on the boat.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MonsieurChoc posted:

Listen to Susumu Hirasawa's amazing music while reading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-et_5qY46rQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV26zIE0130

I really like this one. It captures some of the elements of the manga pretty well.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sign is probably my favourite of his Berserk tracks.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I finished the anime.

I really liked the Band of the Hawk. I was pretty attached to them by the end of the anime, so you can imagine how the end effected me. I was sad when Guts left them, and what happened to them later was even worse. They show you what happens to everyone but Rickert, so I'm hoping he's okay. Or, well, relatively okay considering what he saw.

I went through a range of emotions with Griffith. At first I felt bad for him, because he was obviously deeply bothered by Guts leaving. What happened to him afterwards was rough too, but my sympathy melted away once he sacrificed the Band. I'd like to say that pre-torture Griffith wouldn't have given them up, but I can't really convince myself of that. My roommate who's fairly familiar with Berserk brought up a good point that Griffith was likely chosen for the Behelit because of what was already inside of him. After all, he didn't show any remorse for what happened to that noble's son in the assassination he assigned Guts to.

I do wonder about the actions of Nosferatu Zodd during the last battle of the war. I'd expect him to help Griffith because of the Behelit, but not Guts. I guess he just respected his battle prowess that much? Or maybe at that point he saw helping Guts as helping Griffith. I'm sure he'll show up again someday, so I guess I'll have to wait and see.

I've read the first two volumes of the manga, but it's going to be pretty slow going from here as I'll be buying the Dark Horse comics and I don't have much spending money at the moment.

Guts' whole "gently caress the weak" stuff seems like pretty obvious fronting to me after having watched his development in the anime. I'm sure that the trauma of the Eclipse did change him for the worse in some ways, but I just don't think he'd tolerate Puck being around at all if he really believed all the things he says.

I don't really have much to say otherwise about the manga so far. It seems like it's still getting readers familiar with Guts' routine and what the world is like. It's interesting to me that they replaced Puck in the beginning of the anime with that girl, but I'm kinda glad they did. All the fantastical elements of the setting not showing up much until the very end of the anime made the Eclipse all the more insane.

This Count in the second volume's demon form looks really familiar, I feel like he was shown participating in the Eclipse. Am I right? I think the snake guy before that was also the same demon that showed up in the forest just before Rickert and the others were attacked, right?

Oh, and I guess my biggest question that I don't actually want to be answered until it's shown in the manga is HOW THE HECK DID GUTS MAKE IT OUT OF THE ECLIPSE ALIVE?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Sign is probably my favourite of his Berserk tracks.

Yeah, same. I never played the game but Sign is the one song that feels like it captures the essence of Berserk's dark fantasy for me.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I don’t know what we did to deserve hirasawa’s music, it’s perfect for berserk in every way

Maybe he’s secretly part of the godhand

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Viridiant posted:

This Count in the second volume's demon form looks really familiar, I feel like he was shown participating in the Eclipse. Am I right? I think the snake guy before that was also the same demon that showed up in the forest just before Rickert and the others were attacked, right?

Yes and yes

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I don't plan to watch them for a while, but do you folks recommend any of the movies? Were any of them made by the same people who made the '97 anime?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Viridiant posted:

I don't plan to watch them for a while, but do you folks recommend any of the movies? Were any of them made by the same people who made the '97 anime?

The movies are much better than the recent anime, but not as good as the old show. It’s a completely different production, Studio 4°C though so it mostly looks nice except for the clunky CG for background characters. They also need to chop up the story a bit to fit it into three movies. The third is the best.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Viridiant posted:

Oh, and I guess my biggest question that I don't actually want to be answered until it's shown in the manga is HOW THE HECK DID GUTS MAKE IT OUT OF THE ECLIPSE ALIVE?

If you want to see this answer animated check out the third Golden Age movie, Descent (or Advent, depends how it's translated.) It has a really great mood to it though as with all the movies it leaves out some stuff it should've covered if it had time.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Viridiant posted:

The movies are okay, and get better as the go. The worst part is the really dodgy CGI used in big battle scenes. It looks pretty amateurish in the first one, they get the hang of how to use it in the second, and then the third has hardly any because there aren't any big battles.

I'd recommend watching the second and third more strongly. It's just the Golden Age again, but you actually get to find out what happens at the end of the Eclipse.

Do not, under any circumstances, watch the recent TV anime.

e: Oh and they weren't made by the '97 anime people, I don't think.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Sweet thanks for the help folks, I'll probably wait to watch those movies until I've read their respective parts in the manga.

And don't worry I've been well warned away from the new anime.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

My biggest problem with Berserk as an anime is they seem only interested in retreading the Golden Age arc over and over and over. The 90s show was great, please do something else. Give us the Black Swordsman, give us anything that was written past 2000.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Notorious ZSB posted:

My biggest problem with Berserk as an anime is they seem only interested in retreading the Golden Age arc over and over and over. The 90s show was great, please do something else. Give us the Black Swordsman, give us anything that was written past 2000.

* finger on the monkey’s paw curls up *

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Here I granted your wish. No need to thank me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jiGOOBVxUk

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

You fool. The monkeys paw has already granted this wish!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Viridiant posted:

See this is why you shouldn't bother with any of the Berserk anime and just read the manga. The 90s one is passable but none of them are good

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

U-DO Burger posted:

See this is why you shouldn't bother with any of the Berserk anime and just read the manga. The 90s one is passable but none of them are good

Who cares it works as a good hook to read the manga.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The 90s anime made me not want to even bother with the manga until a bunch of people reassured me that unlike the anime, the manga was actually coherent and good

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Ccs posted:

the action is better than I thought but the art and sound is like a ps2 game.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

That's one of the best sequences from the whole show. It only goes down from there.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Viridiant posted:

Guts' whole "gently caress the weak" stuff seems like pretty obvious fronting to me after having watched his development in the anime. I'm sure that the trauma of the Eclipse did change him for the worse in some ways, but I just don't think he'd tolerate Puck being around at all if he really believed all the things he says.

Guts' hunt for Apostles and his nightly fights against the demons constantly hounding him and wanting to claim everything about him as a sacrifice is suicidal in a sense. He'd need healing as powerful as Puck's Elf Dust otherwise he'd bled to death years ago from all the damage he goes through. Remember the poo poo Judeau gave to Caska to heal Guts after his 100 man slaughter in the Bonfire of Dreams scene? That's how good it is.

Puck served a purpose to let Guts grudgingly let him stay, even though he also wanted in a sense to die and to kill Griffith anyway possible. There is a part of him that still wants to live otherwise he wouldn't be a struggler.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The movies are good, but if you've just seen the Golden Age recently, definitely not worth rushing to watch because :negative:

I got this angry boy toy for £35, thanks to a buddy in Japan. It's real good. (I need to dust up)

fa-GYO
Mar 7, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Ccs posted:

Oh, I didn't realize they got Susumu Hirasawa to do the music for the nu anime.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Viridiant posted:

I do wonder about the actions of Nosferatu Zodd during the last battle of the war. I'd expect him to help Griffith because of the Behelit, but not Guts. I guess he just respected his battle prowess that much? Or maybe at that point he saw helping Guts as helping Griffith. I'm sure he'll show up again someday, so I guess I'll have to wait and see.
While I don't remember the dialogue from the anime, remember that Zodd was impressed with Guts as being the first to give him a real battle in 300 years. That was interrupted when Griffith showed up with Hawks for support. Guts gets in a bunch of "stupid" events that leads to his sword breaking, but he doesn't need it to survive at Doldrey. Zodd is basically giving him a weapon to avoid something as silly as Guts dying in a stupid battle with some trivial knight. How else will Zodd ever meet him in battle again?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Zodd respects Guts because he has strength on his level without a sacrifice, which probably is why Zodd's a little better than most Apostles because he wants his strength to be real. After all this time, now he's a loving servant of Griffith maintaining a kingdom, not really getting into that many good fights on his own terms.

It'll be interesting to see what pushed him into becoming a giant gargoyle one of these days.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

U-DO Burger posted:

The 90s anime made me not want to even bother with the manga until a bunch of people reassured me that unlike the anime, the manga was actually coherent and good

same

temple
Jul 29, 2006

i always thought that zodd was helping guts to help griffith. guts leaving the hawks lead to griffith's night with the princess and getting tortured.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think Zodd was doing both. He was enjoying himself and he admires Guts' journey, but yeah Griffith comes first.

Zodd was the only one to warn Guts about what would happen if he continued following Griffith to the end.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

2 things
1) the most tragic thing about berserk is that guts was never given a real name.
2) can guts read?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

temple posted:

2) can guts read?

Maybe not. You’d have to imagine he can read a map at least. Right before Guts kills the duke and his kid for Griffith though, there’s a bit where he’s hanging out in Griffith’s study and acts like he can’t make heads or tails of what he’s got all these books for. Then Griffith shows him a book with sexy pictures and he’s all interested in it. So he may be functionally literate, but certainly is not a big reader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, Zodd is a pretty straightforward dude. He likes people who can give him good fights, and really likes people who can outright kick his rear end. I think he refers to a character you haven’t met yet as his ‘beloved enemy’, which really says it all.