Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

precision posted:

I still carry a sniper rifle because they're the only way to kill animals in less than 20 rounds :v:

Shotguns can solve this problem.

Shotguns can solve any problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noirex
May 30, 2006

I’m so curious at how possibly bad the ending can be. Everyone agrees it’s bad. I think even Mass Effect 3 had it’s defenders. Is it ME3 type of terrible?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

While acknowledging that ME3 was a long time ago so maybe my memory is hazy, I still think FarCry 5 ending is worse.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CainFortea posted:

While acknowledging that ME3 was a long time ago so maybe my memory is hazy, I still think FarCry 5 ending is worse.

IMO the big difference, and what makes ME3's ending worse is that it completely wiped the universe they built up in the series, so outside of being nonsensical gibberish it also just poo poo over everything built up over what, a decade's worth of games?

In comparison, FC5's ending is just bad.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Holy mother of god, those endings. What the gently caress were they thinking? Some bad, bad poo poo even by Ubisoft's standards.

Naturally Selected posted:

IMO the big difference, and what makes ME3's ending worse is that it completely wiped the universe they built up in the series, so outside of being nonsensical gibberish it also just poo poo over everything built up over what, a decade's worth of games?

In comparison, FC5's ending is just bad.

Can't say I completely disagree but I would say that FC5 doesn't even really have an ending it's just nukes fall, everybody dies. There's no real closure or clever "Gotcha" or Chekhov's gun situation. The ending just......happens.

Red Mundus fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Apr 3, 2018

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

HardKase posted:

I just finished the game.

What was the point?

If I remember Far Cry 1 correctly the journey is the reward not the ending.

Video games AAA video games with an actual good ending seem to be the exception not the rule now.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I want Far Cry 6's main character to be female. And an actual character.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
So not only does the ending just kinda make everything you did seem pointless but there is another side to it.

The point of the nukes going off because of mounting tensions with North Korea and not the cult is because it is to say that Jacob was right all along. When he was saying that he was a prophet of god and that god won't let you kill him, he was correct. The point of the ending of this game isn't the previous games "you were just as much of a monster as the bad guy." The point was "the bad guy was actually right all along".

This also says a lot about why the game is so toothless in trying to make a statement. Because then it would be that the racist rednecks were correct all along, which would go down even worse than just seeming toothless.

Really it all seems like they came up with the twist first and then tried to come up with a story to fit that later.

I really wish the Far Cry games actually dropped trying to have any semblance of a "serious" story and went all in on the goof because that would actually be interesting and not needlessly teenage edgy. Like, imagine if the whole game was just the wacky cartoony murder playground and didn't try to have a last minute turn into being "serious".

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

PureRok posted:

I want this too. It would be a cool change. Mostly I want it to happen because I get a kick out of watching Internet-dwelling manbabies poo poo their pants over trivial crap.

(Her name must be Anita)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Scumbag posted:

I want this too. It would be a cool change. Mostly I want it to happen because I get a kick out of watching Internet-dwelling manbabies poo poo their pants over trivial crap.

(Her name must be Anita)

This but for maximum effect at least one unlock-able outfit must be cheesecake so that everyone is equally upset.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

DancingShade posted:

This but for maximum effect at least one unlock-able outfit must be cheesecake so that everyone is equally upset.

Unlock-able only via loot crate.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I really dislike that the game does not pause while in the weapon menu.

There are so many options to choose from when it comes to grenades and throwables that I barely ever try to use anything except my guns while in a firefight. I don't want to risk fumbling around in the menu while enemies are advancing on me.

What's worse is that the number keys for those things will change which one is selected if you hit the same number key. I can't even set my favorites for each slot and have it stay consistent.

Maybe it's just something I need to practice instead of avoiding.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

PureRok posted:

In my current headcanon Lara Croft took a momentary reprieve from tomb raiding to check on another crazed religious cult in the American Northwest who are conveniently susceptible to arrows and molotovs.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

exquisite tea posted:

In my current headcanon Lara Croft took a momentary reprieve from tomb raiding to check on another crazed religious cult in the American Northwest who are conveniently susceptible to arrows and molotovs.

The fact Lara Croft isn't covered in head to toe scars from events during the first reboot game ruins my immersion. She should look like she sleeps in a pile of razor blades and ash.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Only thing more dangerous than a cult is

https://my.mixtape.moe/fghhgx.mp4

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Lol those endings.

I don't care if the ending "made it so that Joseph was right", because the cult is a bunch of murderous psychopaths so it's impossible to get any enjoyment from their victory.

The best thing I've heard in defense of the FC5 endings is that you were maybe on drugs, so maybe just "nothing happened" instead of that mess.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

PureRok posted:

They already burned diversity in WD2. Basically at this point it doesn't matter which textures/models are abused for Ubis abysmal stories.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Wouldn’t it be infinitely more interesting if the villain was dead certain on something happening at a set date, and then nothing happens, and we’ll get to deal with his reaction to that nothingness. I’m tired of these “the villain is right” bullshit stories, how about just exposing his bullshit?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

A game that let you do chaos remorseless is Just Cause, and Far Cry 6 already exist and was released with the name Ghost Recon Wildlands.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

haldolium posted:

They already burned diversity in WD2. Basically at this point it doesn't matter which textures/models are abused for Ubis abysmal stories.

watch_dogs 2 was good though?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Aside from fishing to get the fourth rod which seems like it will probably take hours, I've now completed all missions, side quests, etc. The rewards for the collectable missions are all absolutely awful and not even remotely worth the time they take to complete. The wolf beacons in Jacob's region and the shrines in Faith's region are especially lame because there's no easy way to track them down. Some of the shrines can be located by reading notes in various locations but I was left with 14/16 and it took me nearly two hours to find the last two, which weren't anywhere close to the "pilgrimage" path as the game claims. Considering you have to catch record sizes for all the fish to get the fourth rod, it is completely useless by the time you get it and I doubt I'll go for it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The fact that the final story mission with Jacob doesn't let you choose is loving bullshit.
It wasn't that clever of a trick, I totally saw that coming and even waiting for the timer to run out but the game was having none of it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

PureRok posted:

This but also a PoC, gay, trans and handicapped, please.

A Sometimes Food posted:

watch_dogs 2 was good though?

I don't know what kind of team building magic they applied to the Watch Dogs team but Watch Dogs 2 was absolutely one of the Ubisoft's best singleplayer games in a while.
Both from story and gameplay perspective (with the caveat of as long as you avoid using guns).

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Apr 3, 2018

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

precision posted:

Yeah I'm at the same point honestly, it was fun for a while... same with using one of the planes that has rockets and bombs to clear out Outposts.

I still carry a sniper rifle because they're the only way to kill animals in less than 20 rounds :v:

It's actually good that theres a reasonable correlation between what you'd hunt with irl and in this game. Don't shoot anything bigger than a dog with .556. Use a shotgun or .308 at least. .50 cal is effective but lollin tho

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I don't know why Jacob was so focused on wolves. he's a furry He should have been using turkeys.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Jack Trades posted:

This but also a PoC, gay, trans and handicapped, please.

The joke is representation!!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

The joke is representation!!

It's no joke, my friend.
I'm literally incapable to playing any game where the main character is not exactly like me.
Don't joke about it, it's a serious medical condition.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Jack Trades posted:

I'm literally incapable to playing any game where the main character is not exactly like me.

They havn't made a game with a deliberately obnoxious protagonist since the nineties.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The Lone Badger posted:

I don't know why Jacob was so focused on wolves. he's a furry He should have been using turkeys.

Naming your gang the Burning Turkeys was played for laughs in Horizon Zero Dawn, but here it is no joke.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

They havn't made a game with a deliberately obnoxious protagonist since the nineties.

I know right? It loving sucks. I can't play any of the new games because I can't relate to any of the protagonists anymore.
I wish more devs would think about the minority players like me.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jack Trades posted:

I sexually identify as that little ship from Space Invaders that can only move from side to side at the bottom of the screen. Like you I wonder why can't I get equal representation in video games?

I'm thinking of opening my personal concepts and expanding my sense of self to the base in Missile Command.

*scrolls past man, past woman, selects missile silo as player character*

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Bloodplay it again posted:

Aside from fishing to get the fourth rod which seems like it will probably take hours, I've now completed all missions, side quests, etc. The rewards for the collectable missions are all absolutely awful and not even remotely worth the time they take to complete. The wolf beacons in Jacob's region and the shrines in Faith's region are especially lame because there's no easy way to track them down. Some of the shrines can be located by reading notes in various locations but I was left with 14/16 and it took me nearly two hours to find the last two, which weren't anywhere close to the "pilgrimage" path as the game claims. Considering you have to catch record sizes for all the fish to get the fourth rod, it is completely useless by the time you get it and I doubt I'll go for it.

Is not rewarding checklist objective completion just to to tick off all the dots really that awful?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Random image of the Far Cry guy, for no reason.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Anyone want to play some PC coop? Add me on Uplay! The name is popelm0n.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

DancingShade posted:

I sexually identify as that little ship from Space Invaders that can only move from side to side at the bottom of the screen. Like you I wonder why can't I get equal representation in video games?

I'm thinking of opening my personal concepts and expanding my sense of self to the base in Missile Command.

*scrolls past man, past woman, selects missile silo as player character*

Oh get hosed

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Got kidnapped for 2nd time by John and....hooooooookay guess they're "going places" with his origin? Is he insinuating what I think he is in terms of his past?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Black Mage Knight posted:

I really wish the Far Cry games actually dropped trying to have any semblance of a "serious" story and went all in on the goof because that would actually be interesting and not needlessly teenage edgy. Like, imagine if the whole game was just the wacky cartoony murder playground and didn't try to have a last minute turn into being "serious".
Just Cry. Far Cause. Whatever. Yeah, I would play that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

Got kidnapped for 2nd time by John and....hooooooookay guess they're "going places" with his origin? Is he insinuating what I think he is in terms of his past?

Maybe. The whole game is very non-committal with its character writing. All the Seeds are set up to be these satirical parodies of American evangelism but end up just being cliched violent psychopaths you've seen 1,000 times before.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Does John further torture the other captured marshal? I've had more than enough of that sort of thing, so I skipped the scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Rinkles posted:

Does John further torture the other captured marshal? I've had more than enough of that sort of thing, so I skipped the scenes.

She's actually a deputy like you - Faith has the Marshall, and there was only the one of those.

short answer: I don't recall actually seeing much. You might hear some screaming.

John ending spoiler in regards to her: You end up rescuing her, she goes back to the Spread Eagle, and seems mostly OK. Has some interesting dialog too if you just chat with her after she's been rescued.