Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

What is it like to still be a Valve fan these days? It must hurt so much.

My group just wants Left 4 Dead 3 to relive our glory days without playing an 8 year old game :smith:

Sounds like a rad Paranoia adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
You've got several days left of the r6 pandemic mission.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Admiral Joeslop posted:

My group just wants Left 4 Dead 3 to relive our glory days without playing an 8 year old game :smith:

I hear Vermintide 2 might be what you want.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

slap me and kiss me posted:

You've got several days left of the r6 pandemic mission.

Subjunctive posted:

I hear Vermintide 2 might be what you want.

Both of these are terrible. Some of the group like VT but I find them both awfully boring. The real fun in L4D was Versus mode.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
The real answer is to just play r6 ranked with a full squad of 5.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

We've been doing that since release, with the slow succumbing to people falling out of the game. We're lucky to get five at all. Siege is also a much different animal than VS between a group of friends.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

i bought the starter set for R6 and there's no way to convert that to the full version of the game without spending a loving obscene amount of money. :(

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Sion posted:

i bought the starter set for R6 and there's no way to convert that to the full version of the game without spending a loving obscene amount of money. :(

The Starter Edition is a complete scam and I wish a bigger deal was made of it.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

yeah pretty much. like- it was 15 bucks at the time, and there's no route to convert to the full kit. seeing as how the full kit is now super cheap I feel pretty fuckin' cheated.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

At the time where they launched it the main game was $60 occasionally discounted to $45, so a $15 ultra-grindy edition where you can buy $45-50 of Clancybux to unlock the basic operators was fine.

The problem is that now the base game routinely goes down to $25 or lower and there's still no upgrade path from starter, and their response to people wanting that was to just give a couple more random operators to people who bought the starter edition after the start of March (but not existing starter edition owners), which loving sucks.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Lemon-Lime posted:

At the time where they launched it the main game was $60 occasionally discounted to $45, so a $15 ultra-grindy edition where you can buy $45-50 of Clancybux to unlock the basic operators was fine.

The problem is that now the base game routinely goes down to $25 or lower and there's still no upgrade path from starter, and their response to people wanting that was to just give a couple more random operators to people who bought the starter edition after the start of March (but not existing starter edition owners), which loving sucks.

Yeah. This whole thing has soured me on Rainbow Six loving hard. Like- I am amazed that a bigger deal isn't made out of what a loving sham the starter edition is.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So we don't have grogs.txt anymore, and this definitely isn't Industry, so I give you um ... this.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?623152-When-Fantasy-meets-Medieval-Europe

"Elves come from "West over the Sea" in other words they are native to North America, they have discovered Europe in this setting rather than the Europeans discovering America, as of 1100 AD, this hasn't happened yet. Dwarves live in underground kingdoms in the various mountain ranges of Europe. Orcs come from the Asian steppe. Halflings and Gnomes come from South America. Half-elves and half-orcs are created from the Union of elves and humans in the first case and orcs and humans in the second."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Isn't that Warhammer Fantasy lol. Like the dark elves are in Canada and poo poo. Also I had an idea for a Chinese history + fantasy setting and I wanted elves to be the rear end in a top hat equivalent of the English and French during the Century of Humiliation

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, one of the big sticking points is that the dude is basically using some real-world religions and cultures, while completely eradicating - say - steppe nomads, and replacing them with orcs.

And it gets more and more crazy as the thread goes on, because the dude is completely insistent on using Christianity, Judaism and Islam.

quote:

1) D&D is based on Medieval folklore and fairy tales.
2) D&D has clerics and druids that get their spells from deities.
3) The technology of D&D is Medieval, not Ancient as in Ancient Rome and earlier which was the time of those pagan deities.
4) In 1100 AD, In Europe, the Ancient Gods are in decline or a thing of the past, the new religion is Christianity and Islam, but I am not bringing up Jesus. Both religions worship one God, what they believe about that God is different, but I am not getting into that. What is true is that the pagan gods of Europe belong more in the classical period and earlier, the days of the Roman Empire.

5) If I'm going to base this campaign world on history and have recognizable place names and cultures, then I have to use Christianity, Judaism, and Islam. I don't have to get into the specifics, all I need to do is explain how the Christian, Jewish, and Muslim clerics get their spells from. They believe in different things about God and everything, but the one factor they have in common is a belief in a single God, so I'm going with that. This God does not typically make personal appearances, Jesus is not around in this time period and neither is Mohammad or Moses. So I don't have to involve them. All I really require here is a mechanism for monotheistic clerics to get their spells, their agendas are their own. So I have a force for good and a force for evil, that evil force is Satan, all three religions have a Satan or something like him. I don't care about the minutia of each religion or what drives them to go to war with each other, such as in the Crusades, it is a conflict between humans, not between gods or a God with himself.

Cool map tho.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

dwarf74 posted:

So we don't have grogs.txt anymore, and this definitely isn't Industry, so I give you um ... this.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?623152-When-Fantasy-meets-Medieval-Europe

"Elves come from "West over the Sea" in other words they are native to North America, they have discovered Europe in this setting rather than the Europeans discovering America, as of 1100 AD, this hasn't happened yet. Dwarves live in underground kingdoms in the various mountain ranges of Europe. Orcs come from the Asian steppe. Halflings and Gnomes come from South America. Half-elves and half-orcs are created from the Union of elves and humans in the first case and orcs and humans in the second."
For a moment I thought it was the same brokebrain who just got permabanned from RPGnet because he kept posting these semi-literate "setting ideas" that were all versions of "what if L5R, but everyone is white with blue eyes (except the foreigners, who all look Asian)?" but no it's some other dumbass racist.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
oh I didn't know they were making a Bright licensed RPG

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
It just keeps going deeper and deeper and deeper. Okay so Mars and Venus are still around, and their respective planets are all still full of people who worship them.

quote:

Because Venus and Mars have large populations of humans that worship these two deities, they are still active. People on Earth who still worship Venus and Mars, usually keep that fact a secret, lest they be burned as witches, this is true in central and southern Europe and in the Middle East, in Scandinavia, this is tolerated a bit more as that region is still in transition from paganism to Christianity. Lots of bloodlust and warfare still keep the god of war going, even if they are fighting over Christian causes. In some respects, one can say, they God of War managed to subvert the Christian Crusade against Islam, by getting the Crusaders more interested in looting and pillaging than in conversions! Mars loves battle for its own sake, he doesn't care about the underlying reason for the conflict! Venus is much the same but with love, she finds Priest's Monk's vows and chastity a bit of a challenge for her, and she loves to test their faith! Sometimes clerics of Venus and Mars will masquerade as Catholic Priests to advance their true devotions, these pagan deities will grant their spells, thus allowing them to blend in with their true believers.

Usually its bloodlust which allows Mars to corrupt militant Catholic Priests, Mars will often answer their prayers instead of God, if they are really determined to carry out their battles against the Muslim Infidels, and you know Venus can cause a priest to meet a beautiful woman, and maybe she can get something started between them in secret. Priests that give into their temptations with a woman, may find their prayers sometimes being answered by Venus and they might fall into her orbit, while at the same time maintaining their positions within the Catholic Church for as long as they can get away with it. Venus often helps them to maintain their secret affairs for as long as possible, she loves illicit affairs, having had a few of those herself.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

oh I didn't know they were making a Bright licensed RPG

Bright didn't substitute nonwhites for fantasy people!!!

dwarf74 posted:

It just keeps going deeper and deeper and deeper. Okay so Mars and Venus are still around, and their respective planets are all still full of people who worship them.

This actually rules lmao. Astrology is cool.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Everything in European history unfolds as we know it, despite the fact that even before my Native American Elves start sailing in with plate armor and caravels, priests and druids can summon infinite food and cast wish, and there're entire nations of people living under mountain ranges and poo poo like that.

Truly, I am the verisimilitudiest.

EDIT: Haha gently caress

quote:

quote:

This is one of the issues that have kept me from publishing my work. Is it "accurate enough"? And would it offend some people - from the errors, but also from some of the game design choices - would people from culture X be offended that they are represented by hobgoblins?

The other two main issues were potential licensing (it uses the warhammer rules after all...) and well, the sheer amount of work involved :P
I do have orcs stand in for Mongols, would the Mongols that live today be offended? There ancestors did some terrible things under Genghis Khan after all. to give a more modern example, would Germans be offended today if I portrayed the Nazis as orcs?

EDIT 2: Holy loving poo poo his post about the Newtown shooting shortly after.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 2, 2018

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Ahh. The culture where when they introduced legal surnames everyone wanted to give themselves one that tied them to Temujin are certainly ashamed of their past.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

That Old Tree posted:

Everything in European history unfolds as we know it, despite the fact that even before my Native American Elves start sailing in with plate armor and caravels, priests and druids can summon infinite food and cast wish, and there're entire nations of people living under mountain ranges and poo poo like that.

Truly, I am the verisimilitudiest.

EDIT: Haha gently caress

I do have orcs stand in for Mongols, would the Mongols that live today be offended? There ancestors did some terrible things under Genghis Khan after all. to give a more modern example, would Germans be offended today if I portrayed the Nazis as orcs?

Does this guy ever think about what it would be like if his ancestors were portrayed by orcs or some other fantasy race associated with evil? He can bring up Genghis Khan all he wants, but Europeans probably did more terrible stuff than the Mongols did.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Pagan Scandinavia, noted worshippers of Venus and Mars

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Ahh. The culture where when they introduced legal surnames everyone wanted to give themselves one that tied them to Temujin are certainly ashamed of their past.

There's a trillion Genghis statues and places named after him in Mongolia

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
That thread starts side-eye crazy, transitions into absolute crazy, transitions further into shithead crazy, apparently involves the holocaust in a bit that got deleted, and ends with me noting that it took until page 13 for someone to point out "hey you're kinda claiming that all non-Europeans are inhuman monsters" and that nobody gets banned because it's ENWorld.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ProfessorCirno posted:

That thread starts side-eye crazy, transitions into absolute crazy, transitions further into shithead crazy, apparently involves the holocaust in a bit that got deleted, and ends with me noting that it took until page 13 for someone to point out "hey you're kinda claiming that all non-Europeans are inhuman monsters" and that nobody gets banned because it's ENWorld.
It is shocking how lunatic it gets, isn't it?

Add in a good dose of Celebrim's medieval Catholic apologia (no you see the Spanish inquisition wasn't that bad and also wasn't sanctioned!) and it is serious crazytown.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'd love for someone to do exactly this, but with somewhere other than Europe. I'd love to see the grogosphere's reactions to a game where white people aren't a thing* because Europe is and always has been where the orcs live. They got super pissed off at Reign.

Now that I'm typing it, a well-written setting where it's earth but humans never really got established outside of Africa because there were already elves and orcs and dragons and such everywhere could be pretty fun.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Splicer posted:

I'd love for someone to do exactly this, but with somewhere other than Europe. I'd love to see the grogosphere's reactions to a game where white people aren't a thing* because Europe is and always has been where the orcs live. They got super pissed off at Reign.

See, I just want a game/setting based around the era of Pax Mongolica. It's even the same (vague) time frame D&D Fantasy Land happens at, so you can get plenty of slack-jawed foreign diplomats and traders and knights from the exotic West with their silver and slightly shittier everything else.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
If you're going to rip off history, try and make it more interesting, not less.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I ran a campaign in which the characters traveled down the Silk Road in pursuit of a folkloric villain and every encounter-of-the-week was based on an authentic folktale from the region they were at. However, I reskinned all the fantasy races as human.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
"I randomly rolled the populations of real-world cities because looking them up would be :effort:"

quote:

...I then when over the original, and on a notepad coped a hex number for each hex with a metropolis on it, then next to it I wrote the name of the city, and I rolled the population of each city with a d100 using this method:

Roll 1d100: If result is from 1 to 25 multiply by 1,000 and add 25,000 to get the population; if the result is from 26 to 50 multiply the result by 3,000 and add 25,000 to get the population; if the result is from 51 to 75 multiply by 5,000 and add 25,000 to get the population; and if the result is from 76 to 100 then multiply by 7,000 and add 25,000 to that number to get the population. These are the largest cities in Europe, I'm not sure what the actual populations were in 1100 AD. I suppose I could look it up somewhere and their were some educated guesses based on archeological evidence, but this is a magical world paralleling our own, but not 100%, so I don't let the facts get in the way of creating this campaign world. Next up are the large and the small cities. Anything smaller than a small city is too small to appear on this map, as each hex is 31 miles. The original map had hexes as 50 kilometers, so I converted it to Imperial Units and got the number as 31 miles. The metric system just doesn't look good in a fantasy universe, customary measures imbues an more traditional feel to the setting without the science metric system, which describes better a science fiction universe. I don't think knights in shining armor should be talking in kilometers but in miles, so this is the in game unit of measure and the units the players use to measure the map scale.
....but gender roles are totally worth it.

quote:

If you have an army of soldiers where exactly 50% of them are women and 50% are men, where does this happen? Not in the real world. Not in the United States, not in any country I know of. Some women want to be soldiers, but most women do not. I'm not saying they shouldn't be, I believe it is up to them, that is just my experience after talking to many women. I've talked to a few female soldiers, and I can tell you that it was really special to meet them, I respect what they are doing for the country, and I appreciate their sacrifice. I am just trying to be realistic. Medieval Europe was a certain way, that is history, I can't change it, but I am trying to bring out a little of that atmosphere, it adds to the drama more, than to have unrealistic absolute equality between the sexes in medieval times. I am sorry, but there is something unusual about a woman wearing plate mail armor on the back of a horse, it is the exception to the rule that draw attention and makes people famous.

quote:

A 13-14 year old boy would probably be the equivalent of his mother in combat statistics, since he is not fully grown, though I think maybe his mom would be a better shot with the bow, since she had longer to practice her archery skills. The boy would probably be armed with a sharp edged farming implement and a dagger. a 15-16 year old boy would be bigger and stronger than his younger brother, his sister, also 15-16 years old would have a knife and a short bow.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I'm glad they let him Build Like a True Creative and receive accolades from other posters for his dedication and bravery, and only, sadly, shut him down when he started talking about ~real world politics~, which is to say not military demographics and gender roles but school shootings and the Holocaust.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Kim Stanley Robinson had a book where the Black Death wiped out 99+% of the population of Europe, meaning the Mongol armies arrived in a near-deserted land when they invaded Europe in the 14th century. The book then has several hundred years of alt-history in a world without Christianity or white people.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
The Years of Rice and Salt? I really enjoyed that one!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I wanted to read that book since 2011 but they never did a translation here and buying on Amazon would wreck my wallet

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

quote:

A 13-14 year old boy would probably be the equivalent of his mother in combat statistics

Holy poo poo. I'm dying and I can't figure out whether it's laughter or my spirit giving up in defeat and leaving my body at having to read this terrible paragraph.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

This guy probably doesn't see a lot of women in his day to day life.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Beyond the rich veins of grog, “what if D&D but in actual medieval Europe” was the laziest known worldbuilding troupe even back in the ‘80s.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

dwarf74 posted:

And it gets more and more crazy as the thread goes on, because the dude is completely insistent on using Christianity, Judaism and Islam.
I'm a little surprised he actually understands that Huns, Vikings, and Rome circa Augustus didn't exist simultaneously and have 13th century technology.

Simian_Prime posted:

Beyond the rich veins of grog, “what if D&D but in actual medieval Europe” was the laziest known worldbuilding troupe even back in the ‘80s.
One of my favourite grogs is still Alexis Smolensk, whose contribution to the hobby is a massive set of trade tables allowing you to find medievally realistic prices for salt, and ginger, and candles, and alchemist's fire and tanglefoot bags. Why he puts so much effort into "D&D but in actual medieval Europe" instead of just playing Harnmaster is a mystery.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 3, 2018

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Cool, insane white men on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Actually, since we're on the subject, has that SIGMATA guy bothered to explain any more about why three right wing militias and some tankies would team up to fight vague fascists?