Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan 00X
Dec 15, 2017

Caesar Saladin posted:

its a game for little children, the idea is to play the most relevant game when you are 8, and then move on to other games, and not to follow the series well into your twenties like half the internet seems to

When I was I kid (11-12), I played the hell out of Red, then Yellow, and a little of Stadium 64 1. I tried out the second gen on an emulator, and said "you know what, screw this poo poo" and never played pokemon again. Of course, I never had any friends to trade and battle with ever, so that might have influenced my decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i played blue, stadium, and silver

then the day after i beat RED at the end of Silver, which took me forever, some fuckface stole my gameboy color. i could still harass the suspects about it to this very day. michael f or garret a. one of you fuckfaces owes me a gameboy color and a decent pokemon silver save

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

FoolyCharged posted:

Why are you grinding in pokemon?

That's the only gameplay there is? Even the critical path is just trudging your way through generic roads, mashing the same menus over and over.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

X-Wing and TIE Fighter really did have too many commands to memorize

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

They were freaking flight sims in space, that was the point

Push a button for more shields, or another for less shields
Push a specific number for a specific percentage of speed

They were great for the time

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Vegetable posted:

The worst part about Pokemon is how hard it is to catch interesting Pokemon. So many are left to late-game or even post-game. God forbid you spread things out or allow an area to have more like six or seven catchables.

you can use a program to scramble the pokemon locations in every game (including starter pokemon). so you might find that level 1 Clefairy you always wanted right outside of town:
http://pokehacks.dabomstew.com/randomizer/

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm kind of pissed I got a bunch of free games through PS+ because literally ALL the games I have bought for my PS4 I have gotten for free like a year later.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

a bone to pick posted:

I'm kind of pissed I got a bunch of free games through PS+ because literally ALL the games I have bought for my PS4 I have gotten for free like a year later.

the trick to discount gaming is the always be on a 3-4 year delay. video games drop in price quite steeply over time, buying on release day is for suckers. i'm just now thinking about getting a PS4 as I have run out of PS3 backlog. only works if you are into single player games though.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Blazing Ownager posted:

Nothing and I mean NOTHING compares to the current state of Grand Theft Auto: Online. The cheating is more rampant and frequent there than it was in Diablo 1 when they started selling cheats in the loving Wal-Mart. On PC it's a sometimes unplayable experience where every single server has at minimum a single cheater.

Worst part is they are boring cheats and everyone does the same 5 things rather than having any creativity like they did when the game came out. No more raining dogs or ferris wheel rides of doom, now it's all "Teleport everyone to one point, blow them. Put them in a cage. Drop money on them. Maybe make them drop their ammo, crash their game or gently caress their displayed level if they're feeling mean." I'm not kidding you can't go a single server without this poo poo happening. It makes me sometimes consider paying to transfer my character to PS4 just to get away from this poo poo, since modders exist but are WAYYYYYYY less common there.

I've seen this posted before, but I've literally never seen any one I'd even suspect of cheating in 40+ hours of online play. Maybe I'm just really lucky?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

the trick to discount gaming is the always be on a 3-4 year delay. video games drop in price quite steeply over time, buying on release day is for suckers. i'm just now thinking about getting a PS4 as I have run out of PS3 backlog. only works if you are into single player games though.

I actually didn't buy any of these on release. I got MGSV, bloodborne, Darksiders 2: deathinitive edition, and Ratchet & clank (ok I did buy this on release) 2 years ago. Suddenly they all became free last year and this year.

it's a stupid thing to complain about, but I'm just sitting here like "drat, I could have saved myself like 200 bucks."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

a bone to pick posted:

I'm just sitting here like "drat, I could have saved myself like 200 bucks."
Everyone with a video game habit can say this at almost any given time.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

FuturePastNow posted:

X-Wing and TIE Fighter really did have too many commands to memorize

All you really needed were "full throttle", "match speed with target" and "switch weapons". The rest of the poo poo didn't matter. You could fly your way through any level without ever resetting your shield or laser power.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

mind the walrus posted:

Everyone with a video game habit can say this at almost any given time.

Yeah the money you spend simply dictates the order you play games since after 2 years you’ll be able to get any game for a loving song

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Alan 00X posted:

When I was I kid (11-12), I played the hell out of Red, then Yellow, and a little of Stadium 64 1. I tried out the second gen on an emulator, and said "you know what, screw this poo poo" and never played pokemon again. Of course, I never had any friends to trade and battle with ever, so that might have influenced my decision.

i beat red when i was 9 and then realised silver was the same but worse, and i was driven to the internet to play final fantasy games on snes emulators

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

a bone to pick posted:

I actually didn't buy any of these on release. I got MGSV, bloodborne, Darksiders 2: deathinitive edition, and Ratchet & clank (ok I did buy this on release) 2 years ago. Suddenly they all became free last year and this year.

it's a stupid thing to complain about, but I'm just sitting here like "drat, I could have saved myself like 200 bucks."

What is 200 dollars over the course of multiple years? You got to play games when you wanted to instead of waiting around to see if they'll go free sometime before you die. You could probably find a free copy of Madden 07 in a trash can somewhere right now. it doesn't make it the optimal way to play it.

If I want a game idgaf I'll just buy it and if it means I got to play it when I had peak interest instead of waiting around for eons so I could pinch pennies oh well.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
MOBA culture is hosed and anyone who defends it is also hosed.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Gridlocked posted:

MOBA culture is hosed and anyone who defends it is also hosed.

Where is this unpopular? Even Blizzard admits it’s hard to moderate their baby MOBA, and I think DOTA 2 is destroying Valve from the inside...

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
yeah that's not as unpopular as saying the fighting game community is a toxic cesspit of poo poo

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Where is this unpopular? Even Blizzard admits it’s hard to moderate their baby MOBA, and I think DOTA 2 is destroying Valve from the inside...

It's unpopular with the MOBA community I guess?

Actual unpopular opinion: DCSS is a more engaging and thoughtful game than most AAA ARPGs now days

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gridlocked posted:

It's unpopular with the MOBA community I guess?

Many MOBA players revel in being shitheads.

Blizzard for some reason abandoned the main MOBA IP to let Valve make a complete clone of it, and then made a multiplayer game where you can't communicate with the other team, for some reason.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

blizzard has had a lame rear end attitude to smack talk since world of warcraft. it changes loving nothing, as people are more likely to be horrible to their own team mates and the natural hostility of being placed against someone in a team game is incidental to where the real abuse happens

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

dont even fink about it posted:

Many MOBA players revel in being shitheads.

Blizzard for some reason abandoned the main MOBA IP to let Valve make a complete clone of it, and then made a multiplayer game where you can't communicate with the other team, for some reason.

I’m sure their psychological studies for engagement proved it’s more fun to be insulted by your own teammates or something

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

blizzard is a poo poo company and they can polish a diamond into sand. Now they're just another terrible arm of activision, which is an even bigger tumor really.

video games are poo poo and i can't remember the last time i paid for a game from activision, ea, ubisoft, etc. but it has been a really long time

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It's been about 3 weeks since I played a videogame and it feels liberating. Maybe video games are all trash?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You're still posting on the internet, so you're far from cured yet!

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...

BUY IT.

basic hitler posted:

blizzard is a poo poo company and they can polish a diamond into sand.

This is well put. They come up with awesome ideas, then keep streamlining them away until there's nothing exciting left.

They're more worried about avoiding mistakes than landing successes. The result is smooth but completely dull.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

why would you want to talk to the other team in hots? gently caress that

also, huge lol at simultaneously gatekeeping mobas and ~smack talk toughness~ and trying to claim you've grown out of games

hawowanlawow fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 3, 2018

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Yeah... I remember the old days in WC3 Dota and All chat didn't add anything. Trash talking outside of silly poo poo you might do in person while playing a fighting game with friends is literally cancer.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Really the problem is designing a competitive game where--after a certain threshold--victory can be determined extremely early on by one or two unforced errors. It's the exact same problem I used to have when I played L4D2 competitive ~~seriously~~. Sometimes I'd be on the receiving end where I missed a jump as a jockey or w/e and allowed the enemy to roll our infected on the first spawn and thus build momentum that carried them through the level, and it sucked. Other times I'd be watching someone else whiff a hunter jump or utterly fail to stay with us as survivors and blow the first round, and it sucked. In the end the problem was with the design of the game, and made me stop playing even though competitive was a blast "when it was fun."

MOBAs really need a square-one overhaul if they're ever going to shed that deserved reputation.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I've never felt that a "competitive" element added to the game. Especially games like L4D where the only reward for getting higher score in multiplayer is, well, getting a higher score. It was silly fun through and through, I think I still have the whole No Mercy layout memorized despite having not played since 2013 or so.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

a bone to pick posted:

yeah that's not as unpopular as saying the fighting game community is a toxic cesspit of poo poo

I've actually encountered the least toxicity in fighting games compared to mobas and shooters and any ribbing I've got playing fighters I've just thrown back at them and laughed. There are still assholes and poor performers but the way it works is pretty much if you're good you get some degree of respect. Fighting games are meritocracy and I'm not sure that's a bad thing.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Games where your experience is so reliant on other people performing is guaranteed to be toxic, for now and for always. MOBAs are a special brand of competitive team game where you can personally play well and still get stomped because of somebody else's mistakes, and that makes people very angry.

If that wasn't enough, there's also competition for certain roles in the game, and you're reliant on people picking lineups that have synergy. It's designed from the ground up to make you vulnerable to other people playing ball, and when you're with internet strangers that is guaranteed to not happen consistently.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

Jeza posted:

Games where your experience is so reliant on other people performing is guaranteed to be toxic, for now and for always. MOBAs are a special brand of competitive team game where you can personally play well and still get stomped because of somebody else's mistakes, and that makes people very angry.

If that wasn't enough, there's also competition for certain roles in the game, and you're reliant on people picking lineups that have synergy. It's designed from the ground up to make you vulnerable to other people playing ball, and when you're with internet strangers that is guaranteed to not happen consistently.

paradoxically that is also why they're popular: you can always blame someone else for your defeats. Being personally responsible is stressful.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

mario odyssey is one of the best games ever made

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

overwatchs character and graphical design are complete aids and looks like diarrea rear end on the toilet

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
video games are boring and either pander to the lowest common denominator or are made for autistic megageeks who either enjoy losing at a game or love pie charts and statistics so much they want to spend their free time reading them

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Dyna Soar posted:

video games are boring and either pander to the lowest common denominator or are made for autistic megageeks who either enjoy losing at a game or love pie charts and statistics so much they want to spend their free time reading them

i recognise how fail my opinions are daily, but this freaking lunatic? is olympic gold in sheer Fail

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Dongicus posted:

i recognise how fail my opinions are daily, but this freaking lunatic? is olympic gold in sheer Fail

name one modern video game that doesn't fit into those three categories

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i mean yeah theres the mind numbing manual labour category where you chop wood, collect rocks and boil water and thats it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm not sure which would be sadder-- that you'd post that while being dead serious, or hoping for a troll reaction.