Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Giving Dungeonmans another go after bouncing off it previously. Can someone post a couple of good builds? Maybe a sword and board one and a magic user one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Unimpressed posted:

Giving Dungeonmans another go after bouncing off it previously. Can someone post a couple of good builds? Maybe a sword and board one and a magic user one?

Sword and board heavy armor is fairly boring, but it works. Always, always invest in mobility skills though. As for magic, Necromancy is really good. The other magic types are fairly basic, but the illusion one can get you out of a lot of trouble.

My personal favorites were: 2handed with heavy armor, ranger with medium armor and necromancy, Bannerman with medium armor.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Dual wielding and archery. Im not saying ive ever been very succesful but ive had lots if fun

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Isaac posted:

Dual wielding and archery. Im not saying ive ever been very succesful but ive had lots if fun

Ranger with dual wield, medium armor, and archery can pretty much win the game on its own. You can add necromancy on top of that and have probably one of the best builds. Ranger's mobility and damage is great, and dual wield has so much damage output you can easily finish off stuff in melee. You'll end up having similar strength and skill stats anyway, due to how it works.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Been a while since I played regularly, but I had a lot of luck with a heavy armour shield-and-spear build using the Bannermans skills, with mobility skills sprinkled in. Use your banners to steal mana and stamina, use your mana and stamina to dance around out of reach in your banner area, use consumables liberally. Your armour and shield should help keep you alive long enough for your stealing and potion-chugging to ensure you won't get killed unless you do something foolish.

If you can access the King of Battle master class, you turn into a real killing machine - just be careful not to get too carried away and blow all your stamina and mana at once. Gotta be prepared to use those repositioning skills.

Another build I really enjoyed was the psychoarcher - use psychomansy for mobility and melee cleanup, with a bow for the bulk of your ranged murdling as well as more mobility. Doing this lets you go real armour if you want to, since you're a little less dependent on the mobility skills from medium armour, and psychotossing makes a great "oh poo poo I need to do a ton of damage immediately" button. You can also use Deep Rolls the Thunder or whatever it's called to punch down dungeon walls, enabling you to shoot more arrows at things while bouncing around like a possessed goblin instead of getting cornered by orcs and dying immediately.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Rogue Survivor was really cool and I have hope some developer or another can expand on the ideas it brought to the table.

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf

Isaac posted:

This is how I played my (successful) Ironmans game (after a few lvl 10-12 normal attempts), dual wield gives you some great damage and a little mobility, and archery gives more. Everything after that is gravy (necromans gives some recovery and fantastic pets that take aggro)

The armor types require you to not mix armor if you want to use the skills. So I used heavy armor for the ohshit tank button, which came in handy quite a bit while using dual wield stuff. You'll eventually end up next to something dangerous that is better to just hit rather then try to move.

Taking the "more elites" trait at the beginning keeps you on your toes (complacency kills the most) and gives much more loot and stremf. Just don't be afraid to run away when a heavy hitter shows up. Don't use consumables to try and hit far above your weight class, use them to make even fights easy. Dmans doesn't have a food clock, and there's (almost) always another appropriately levelled dungeon to go play in, which is fairly unique in roguelikes.

Also, when I hit late-game I kinda stalled out a bit trying to figure out how to progress safely, which got better when I realized what I wanted out of each dungeon type.
Towers let you make end-game weapons(shards), but the level-scaling bosses can me scary until you have your full kit. They're also always the same layout, so you can run them pretty quick, and get a lot of gold in the vaults as well.
Crypts give you great enchants that cost Stremf(save up a bunch of proofs BEFORE you use these, and level back up after), and are worth farming once you can survive all the purple damage and resists. The graveyard skeletons are great for safely charging up your necro skulls as well(obviously).
The forts spawn an elite at the end that's worth farming when you're out of towers. They're also the best maps for the layout/monster revealing consumables. I had no idea a boss spawned after you cleared the monsters for quite a while and didn't get what I was missing.
The swamps and trap dungeons are kinda neat, but the boss can be super deadly (trap boss is a hilariously good fight though) and I found neither we're really worth the risk/dungeon length.

Keep an eye out for stamina heals and defensive/mobility consumables(also enemy targetted consumables are mostly great). Sell all gear you're not wearing, but keep one backup in case you get disenchanted (loving bats). Start using enchant item scrolls as soon as you have more then a 5-stack and pick up a new tier of gear.

Get your hit rate up first to near cap, missing is awful.
Work on whatever your lowest resists are, you'll always get blasted by those at some point (consumables can work, but you have to know what's coming). Be careful with enchants tanking a resist too much. Mid-late game is def worth re-enchanting gear to fix resists.

RubberBands Hurt fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 31, 2018

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
It's been awhile since I've played Dungeonmans, but...

One of the two-handed weapon abilities allow you to hit everything near you each turn, with a very high resource cost. You're free to move and use other abilities while this whirlwind is happening.

The Bannersmans upgrades allow you to regenerate resources on hit. So...

Step 1: Find room full of melee enemies
Step 2: Drop banners and activate murder mode
Step 3: Leap in and murder everything. Be very aggressive and maximize the number of targets you hit each turn
Step 4: End the fight with full resources. Throw in some lifesteal and end with full health as well (IIRC?)
Step 5: Repeat

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
That build sounds like it would be hell on legs if you combined it with Grimdark Darkmans.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah it is, i made one once and it was nearly unkillable

and then i fat-fingered and died

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Thanks, some great advice in this thread. I still keep dying stupidly around level 6 or so, and reading here,it sounds more like my fault than a build issue. so, I'm gonna have to git gud.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Unimpressed posted:

Thanks, some great advice in this thread. I still keep dying stupidly around level 6 or so, and reading here,it sounds more like my fault than a build issue. so, I'm gonna have to git gud.

Play like a coward. Seriously. Especially as ranger, you can run away from everything. Use corners or chokepoints to your advantage.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this page may have some helpful advice

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Does anybody have some advice for getting into ToME? I was playing a Shalore Warden and kept getting killed by Urkis in a few hits. I'm honestly kinda confused as to what I should be doing in order to get past that zone.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Amppelix posted:

I was looking for some reviews of Dragon Fang Z and I discovered one from a person who has clearly never played a roguelike in their life. Choice quotes like "DragonFangZ - The Rose & Dungeon Of Time from Japanese studio Toydea, is an intriguing and charming mix of genres, utilising both the resource management systems and turn-based combat from traditional JRPG's along with elements such as randomly generated levels and permadeath from roguelikes." And to be clear, dragon fang z is a very traditional roguelike that does pretty much nothing particularly new.

Kind of made me have a terrible realization that there are now lots of people who don't think elements like "resource management" and "turn-based combat" are something traditionally found in roguelikes.

Actually speaking of the game though, if you have a switch (the only place the game's out currently) I really do recommend a buy. It's a pretty breezy (but not easy) game, very reminiscent of Mystery Dungeon games or (I haven't played these but apparently) Shiren the Wanderer. Looks cute, plays fast, and the mechanics are just the right amount of simple for my tastes and fun to play around with. Oh, and the translation is complete rear end but it's not like the game has a story anyway and the mechanics are, thankfully, always understandable.

I just picked this up the other day and this is a seriously addicting game. There's practically no progression which leads it to more of an arcadey feel, almost similar to Binding of Isaac where you're trying to constantly break your current run except this game is about 100x harder. Doesn't seem like too many people are paying much attention to it though

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sampatrick posted:

Does anybody have some advice for getting into ToME? I was playing a Shalore Warden and kept getting killed by Urkis in a few hits. I'm honestly kinda confused as to what I should be doing in order to get past that zone.

Skip it, it's not mandatory and has no real reward unless you're an antimagic character, which as a Temporal Warden you aren't.

The most important stat you can get on items in the early game in ToME is +life. Heavy armor is good too, even for spellcasters, as is +% healmod.

You also want to make sure you have a good set of inscriptions -- Healing, Wild (Physical) and Movement is a good baseline, although it varies some with class. The healing infusion should have as short a cooldown as possible (7 is the best, 8-9 is okay) and scale with one of your main stats. The physical wild is for removing stuns, stat scaling doesn't matter on it, just cooldown. Movement is multi-purpose and having it scale with your stats is nice but not 100% mandatory at this stage; its real purpose is pre-emptive immunity to stuns and pins (while the Wild infusion clears them if you do get one.) Most enemies that apply stun do so in melee, so use it right before you step into range of a boss or rare. You can also use it as an escape.

Most guides on the forums are written by well-meaning idiots but this guy keeps a slightly outdated but otherwise accurate list of good guides: https://te4.org/wiki/User:Bpat

as does this guy: https://te4.org/wiki/User:Cathbald

zirconmusic
Nov 17, 2014

Unstoppable Trash Panda
I finally realized that Tangledeep was too much of a SJW game, I'm so sorry for not realizing it sooner. Today I am rectifying that by implementing "Male Mode" which coverts all characters in the game to males.

You can enable this mode, for greater immersion, by putting "Male" in your character name.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/GoldenKroneGame/status/980510352470368258

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

zirconmusic posted:

I finally realized that Tangledeep was too much of a SJW game, I'm so sorry for not realizing it sooner. Today I am rectifying that by implementing "Male Mode" which coverts all characters in the game to males.

You can enable this mode, for greater immersion, by putting "Male" in your character name.

"MALE ERIN" is somehow my favorite joke here because it's just so blatant

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zirconmusic posted:

at last, a videogame for men too

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

zirconmusic posted:

Zircon, you are a treasure, don't ever change. :allears:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Let me guess: that works for everything except the player?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I'm not fond of this joke because this sounds like a completely reasonable feature to have to allow more casual players to enjoy the game.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

zirconmusic posted:

I finally realized that Tangledeep was too much of a skeleton game,

I was really excited to play Tangledeep as a spooky skeleton before I realized what happened here. :smith:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

rodbeard posted:

I'm not fond of this joke because this sounds like a completely reasonable feature to have to allow more casual players to enjoy the game.

are "Wizard"/cheat modes not still a standard thing in roguelikes? I only play the really occasional newly released game but I remember that being a thing in Nethack, Dungeon Crawl, ADOM, etc.... obviously theres's nothing wrong with giving players those options and IMO they should exist when possible, but devs also probably shouldn't be expected to use their limited resources to ensure that the game is still balanced/challenging/fun with them enabled. Just call them cheats and let players use them if they want to -- I know it's just semantics but I think differentiating that stuff as a "difficulty setting" will give some players the expectation that the game will be balanced around, say, no permadeath when it really isn't, leading to eventual disappointment when they burn through all of its content in a couple hours or whatever. It's not it any way a roguelike but Celeste handles this really really well with its implementation of "Assist Mode".

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

"MALE ERIN" is somehow my favorite joke here because it's just so blatant

you don't know dudes named Erin, or?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Lutha Mahtin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7FixvoKBw&t=106s

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 2, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Looks like I missed out on Cogmind's april 1 event because its april 2 here in the eastern hemisphere.

https://twitter.com/GridSageGames/status/980292087940759552

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Leaving it as just "Erin" would have been subtle. Appending MALE makes it... lampshade-y?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Kind of a roguelite card game Card Quest is also out on mobile (I know at least android, not sure about iphone) and so far for me it has been rock solid steady. It is a hard game, but if you like the thought of card game dungeon crawler but without any deck drafting aspects then you should give it a try.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I believe it's coming to iOS very soon but it's not out there yet. Looking forward to it though, sounds like my poo poo

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
At $5, I went ahead and bought Card Quest. Seems like it'll be at least interesting.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
ToME Temporal Warden Report:

Holy christ, I am crushing things right now. I'm about to do Ruins of Telmur and haven't had trouble with any combat so far. I'm at the point now where I have Time Shield, a Rune of Shielding that gives 500, Contingency, and Webs of Fate as well as three different ways to remove debuffs and a Healing Rune and the Heart of Poosh if I need heals. Is there a point where fights are going to start getting hard again or am I just cruising until I reach the finish line?

Running With Spoons
Oct 26, 2005
Only the spoon knows what is stirring in the pot

Sampatrick posted:

ToME Temporal Warden Report:

Holy christ, I am crushing things right now. I'm about to do Ruins of Telmur and haven't had trouble with any combat so far. I'm at the point now where I have Time Shield, a Rune of Shielding that gives 500, Contingency, and Webs of Fate as well as three different ways to remove debuffs and a Healing Rune and the Heart of Poosh if I need heals. Is there a point where fights are going to start getting hard again or am I just cruising until I reach the finish line?

The thing is, in the endgame, overconfidence and laziness is what kills you.
That said, if you're that confident, you should probably be ok until the final dungeon.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
It's rare nowadays, but the floor bosses in the final dungeon can still spawn with hilariously bullshit skill combos.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That kind of overconfidence is just begging for a worm that walks randboss down a blind alley

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
That said, Temporal Warden is still one of the stronger classes (even if its not as broken as whrn it was first reworked), so you should be ok so long as you pay attention to stuff.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The main challenge of TOME isn't so much attrition, it's when you grow complacent because of it and it suddenly spikes in difficulty and oh my god what is going on

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

just watched that video of madjackmcmad's Escape From Aeon stream and wanted to say cool stream presence and nifty looking game; i much prefer reading about dev and play of RLs than actually playing them. shotgun op as fucc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

GrandpaPants posted:

The main challenge of TOME isn't so much attrition, it's when you grow complacent because of it and it suddenly spikes in difficulty and oh my god what is going on

this is why you play Insane, the spikes become the new normal