Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Please do not learn anything from Big Bang Theory, manga author.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

chumbler posted:

Please do not learn anything from Big Bang Theory, manga author.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

don't worry he won't. it's in the title of his series even

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Explains a lot

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I'm sorry but I can't help but thinking that "bazinga" must sound really funny with a thick Japanese accent.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

SpazmasterX posted:

I'm sorry but I can't help but thinking that "bazinga" must sound really funny with a thick Japanese accent.

Probably a lot like "Mazinger"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Must be a really good translation.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fabricated posted:

For Ziga: it got less interesting IMO.

The MC can't confirm that his friend-girl's body is there because there's so many crushed bodies under the wreckage he pulled her arm from that he can't find a recognizable body. He buries her arm and starts trying to help survivors when remnants of Ziga apparently left behind in the attack start trying to eat people. The mysterious organization shows up and starts fighting them, the stone-cold-bitch stereotype soldier girl drops her weapon (which is apparently special) and in a fit of anger the MC fires it at the monster. The stupid "Flash Waves" power he has activates the weapon and obliterates it.

I feel like almost every one of these "MC joins secret fighting organization" manga has some sort of girl (who is the obvious love interest) who is a badass soldier/fighter and is an rear end in a top hat towards the protagonist.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Latest chapter is out. I love teachers appartment.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I want everyone reading We Never Learn to imagine canned laughter from the audience after every gag, gasps whenever it seems like someone is about to confess or have a romantic moment, and awwwwwwws whenever something sweet happens.

Also everyone should mentally insert the word Bazinga whenever Swim Girl pretends that she's just joking about being in love with the MC.

Also cheers and applause whenever Sensei enters the scene.

Now, you too can enjoy watching Big Bang Theory while reading We Never Learn!

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Hate-Senpai posted:

glad to know you're the writer for this version

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

DoubleDonut posted:

glad to know you're the writer for this version

I love Sensei, DD.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hate-Senpai posted:

I want everyone reading We Never Learn to imagine canned laughter from the audience after every gag, gasps whenever it seems like someone is about to confess or have a romantic moment, and awwwwwwws whenever something sweet happens.

Also everyone should mentally insert the word Bazinga whenever Swim Girl pretends that she's just joking about being in love with the MC.

Now, you too can enjoy watching Big Bang Theory while reading We Never Learn!

Also constant misogyny.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

chumbler posted:

Also constant misogyny.

Yes, harem mangas are inherently misogynistic, but what does that have to do with the Big Bang Theory?????

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hate-Senpai posted:

Yes, harem mangas are inherently misogynistic, but what does that have to do with the Big Bang Theory?????

So is big bang

(And also all of chuck lorres sitcoms if it werent tha obvious)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Someone needs to tell Furuhashi that being a competent writer is actually an extremely useful skill if you're going into any science-related field, because a lot of scientists are really, really bad at communication.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Rokudou no Onna-tachi is one of the best series I've read in a while. Thanks to Sharkopath for showing it off.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

so is we never learn actually good or is it just popular because it's basically more nisekoi?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Futaba Anzu posted:

so is we never learn actually good or is it just popular because it's basically more nisekoi?
Personally I think it's the latter but that's (apparently) just me.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Futaba Anzu posted:

even though the manga features a dark skinned, tanlined swimmer girl a lot i dont like that manga. it really hurts me to say this

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
We Never Learn has some really excellent character moments. It's a shame it's often drowned in a pool of fanservice and stupidity.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it has some good jokes but is otherwise okay at best. that it has jokes at all puts it above nisekoi.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Futaba Anzu posted:

its the latter. well ive never read nisekoi but from context i assume you mean is it mediocre harem and yes its mediocre harem

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

its the latter. well ive never read nisekoi but from context i assume you mean is it mediocre harem and yes its mediocre harem

Par for the course where harem stuff is concerned, at least in my experience. Although, I must admit, I'm a fan of of D-Frag.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

read through kimetsu no yaiba recently. didn't grab me at first but I'm glad I stuck with it because it grew on me a lot after the initial chapters

surprised narcoleptic crybaby ranked so high on the popularity pole tho (seriously 2nd place wtf) and I was not a fan of polygamy pillar, but boar head kid is great and they pull off the mc being absurdly nice better than most series I've read

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Manatee Cannon posted:

read through kimetsu no yaiba recently. didn't grab me at first but I'm glad I stuck with it because it grew on me a lot after the initial chapters

surprised narcoleptic crybaby ranked so high on the popularity pole tho (seriously 2nd place wtf) and I was not a fan of polygamy pillar, but boar head kid is great and they pull off the mc being absurdly nice better than most series I've read
Kimetsu is weird in that it starts out pretty boring outside of it being a bit darker than most recent series and then it kinda slowly ramps up into something really good.

The monster designs are really fun, the big bad is appropriately creepy and exerts a feeling of power, and Tanjirou as mentioned somehow makes the ridiculously nice MC thing totally work. Tanjirou being such a kind, big-hearted person of great empathy is something the story really does a lot of work with rather than just trying to push it as a shounen moral lesson. The author (this is another series with a woman mangaka fyi) does a good job at making monstrous demons seem really sympathetic in the end not just with the back stories but with their ultimate punishment too. Many of the demons Tanjirou slays have their original human souls going into what is obviously hell. One that got me was a kid demon whose dead parents' spirits willingly stay behind to wait for him to be defeated, then go with him to hell despite being innocent because they want to comfort him.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 31, 2018

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

and I was not a fan of polygamy pillar
This statement is the opposite of Flamboyant. But I really did like Chad Ninja after he got some more characterization. His first appearance with the other pillars made me think he was just some jerk, but then I realized he was actually a cool dude with a lot of respect for both his job and the lives of his comrades.

In general I agree that Kimetsu starts off very bland, it arguably is still a very generic shonen but a combination of the art and characters makes it interesting to read despite that.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
We Never Learn is loving fantastic even though the best sensei won't win.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
chad ninja was nice because despite being stronger than the 3 very good boys put together, he was still completely out of his depth against the brother.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Jaimini's just posted a couple chapters of Memesis, which despite what you might be thinking has nothing to do with memes. It's a pun name. Stop me if you've heard this one before, but there was a party of warriors led by a Hero on a quest to defeat a demon lord. This follows the two other warriors after having parted ways with the Hero, now on their own quest. Basically, the Hero ditched them because he didn't like them and they want to beat the demon lord first just to spite him. Other characters are speechless at their lame backstory. They are also probably boyfriends.

It's pretty funny.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think i like the idea of them going around, making everyone uncomfortable while also performing acts of heroism more than the execution.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I read Kimetsu no Yaiba and it was pretty good.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hate-Senpai posted:

I read Kimetsu no Yaiba and it was pretty good.

who's your favorite character and why's it the buff sword mice

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
my favorite is still high school nezuko with her ever-present loaf of french bread

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

TriffTshngo posted:

Jaimini's just posted a couple chapters of Memesis, which despite what you might be thinking has nothing to do with memes. It's a pun name. Stop me if you've heard this one before, but there was a party of warriors led by a Hero on a quest to defeat a demon lord. This follows the two other warriors after having parted ways with the Hero, now on their own quest. Basically, the Hero ditched them because he didn't like them and they want to beat the demon lord first just to spite him. Other characters are speechless at their lame backstory. They are also probably boyfriends.

It's pretty funny.

I read all 3 chapters. I'm not sure yet if I'll stick with it. I'll keep reading for now, because it has its moments.

But like give me the candy, I find that the idea seems awesome, but the execution is a bit...meh.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Manatee Cannon posted:

who's your favorite character and why's it the buff sword mice

God those mice were hilarious.

It's probably Fire Pillar.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

This arc is going to be good.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

This arc is going to be good.

There's so many ways it's all going to collide at once and go bad, so many variables. How can friendship emerge triumphant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

TriffTshngo posted:

It's pretty funny.

There is no way you can sell me on a comic titled Memesis when its not about memes.