Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMH1y7J2qfM&t=57s

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

regnad

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Tokamak posted:

28:48 Disco_Lando: We also never use the word sale. YOU guys use the word sale. =)

31:13 PrimeDevilCloudGaming: @Disco_Lando :: goes to email and copies directly from an RSI email :: Hurricane SaleThe Anvil Hurricane Sale ends this Monday, March 6th...

31:48 Disco_Lando: That was from a year ago @DevilCloudGaming. We've made the terminology change since then.

lmao

What a tool lol

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

SomethingJones posted:

Kirk Tome:
Uh... ship to ship and ship to station docking, ah... were PLANNED for quite some time, unfortunately they're ah... a little bit in the BACKLOG so we haven't had an opportunity to work on them... but they are in the WORKS and we do plan to not only allow to, um... SHIPS to... dock with EACH OTHER, but also to dock on specific ports on stations. Um, and... this is primarily to allow the transport of both personnel and cargo... using some, ah... PHYSICAL MEANS to transport those commodities in between ah... uhh... eh... ahhh.....

Star Citizen: Things are in the works but we haven't had an opportunity to work on them.

Seriously, can't invent that stuff.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Star Citizen: We never did that, unless we did, but now we don't

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Tokamak posted:

28:48 Disco_Lando: We also never use the word sale. YOU guys use the word sale. =)

31:13 PrimeDevilCloudGaming: @Disco_Lando :: goes to email and copies directly from an RSI email :: Hurricane SaleThe Anvil Hurricane Sale ends this Monday, March 6th...

31:48 Disco_Lando: That was from a year ago @DevilCloudGaming. We've made the terminology change since then.

lmao

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link//16274-Hammerhead-Concept-Sale
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link//16271-Hawk-Concept-Sale
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14998-The-Aegis-Sabre-And-Military-Ship-Sale
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15836-Spring-Star-Ship-Sale
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15965-Fathers-Day-Hot-Rod-Sale
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15988-Subscriber-Flash-Sale
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/16088-Subscriber-Flash-Sale SEPTEMBER 1ST 2017
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/16144-Subscriber-Flash-Sale SEPTEMBER 29TH 2017
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15636-Holiday-Sale-2016
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15072-AnniVERSEary-Sale-Military
etc etc

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Stop hacking the css to show "Sale" when they meant something entirely different!

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Shadowlyger posted:

For how little content they actually put out, I find it hard to believe they have four hundred people working on this. I mean what the gently caress are all those people doing, twiddling their thumbs in their cubicles all day long?

Frontier got $2.5M in crowdfunding and produced Elite: Dangerous and its expansions.

Meanwhile, CIG got $180M in crowdfunding ( x72 more ) and produced... a buggy 20 fps alpha and are years away from an MVP.

Yup, no problem here.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

DELIVERY CRATE STUCK TO CHARACTER

EXPECTED RESULT: Not being able to fly thru mountain with no damage.

TURNED A GOLF BALL

---

Most Reproduced Bug: EXPLOSION SOUND EFFECT PRIOR TO LOADING INTO PU

---

e: Woo, thanks for the av mystery benefactor!

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 3, 2018

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

his nibs posted:

What a tool lying gently caress lol

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

That reddit is invite only.
Why has Derek made his own reddit?
Or is it allowed to make reddits about a specific person without that person's consent?

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

G0RF posted:

The short answer is “Soon(tm)”. But what was interesting to me was hearing Abent repeatedly refer to “our big gigantic backlog” of missing gameplay features and systems. It is no surprise that there is one of course, but it was surprising to Abent speaking of it as he did.

How did CIG end up with a big gigantic backlog of essential game features? Scope creep. Chris Roberts overpromisig and underdelivering. Backer dollars and developer hours being constantly misallocated to serve the frequently non-substantive priorities of perhaps the most asset-centric development studio in the Gaming industry.

There is a very fundamental thing in game development, that non-developers absolutely do not understand ( not just game development actually.. software development in general ).

Code complexity grows exponentially with the number of features you're implementing - not linearly.

Let that sink for a moment.

Doubling the amount of features/elements included in your game does not take twice longer to implement. It quadruples, or even more.

So if in the middle of your project, with only minimalistic features, you're already struggling to maintain your code, you have trouble with performance and stability... imagine what it will be when your game will be "feature-complete".

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Tokamak posted:

lmao

At this point, who is a worse community manager? Ben or Lando?

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Beexoffel posted:

That reddit is invite only.
Why has Derek made his own reddit?
Or is it allowed to make reddits about a specific person without that person's consent?

If its a public figure then yes. remember that Derek stands astride the games industry like a colossus.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

why say something so stupid when it is easily proven false?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

EightAce posted:

If its a public figure then yes. remember that Derek stands astride the games industry like a colossus.

but reddit also told me, his weenis was so puny that all he did was of no consequence

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

You obviously don't understand what the word "never" means.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Welcome to Mars, marine.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

EightAce posted:

If its a public figure then yes.
An appreciation of public activities, nice.

EightAce posted:

remember that Derek stands astride the games industry like a colossus.
In the grim dark future of the VR-AI world, his statue will have one foot planted in the Sandbox Open Spacesim shard, and one on top of the glitching limbo of Incoherent Features.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

expect that every new-to-the-project developer is probably going to take at least a month or two to get comfortable enough with the codebase as a whole to actually fix more problems than they introduce because they're not familiar with the tribal knowledge kludges that have come before.

Triple that number. Considering the extent of existing kludges, I wouldn't put the number anywhere under 7 months.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/8986l9/charlie_and_the_aegis_reclaimer/

:allears:

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

Nyast posted:

There is a very fundamental thing in game development, that non-developers absolutely do not understand ( not just game development actually.. software development in general ).

Code complexity grows exponentially with the number of features you're implementing - not linearly.

Let that sink for a moment.

Doubling the amount of features/elements included in your game does not take twice longer to implement. It quadruples, or even more.

So if in the middle of your project, with only minimalistic features, you're already struggling to maintain your code, you have trouble with performance and stability... imagine what it will be when your game will be "feature-complete".

That's why I hope this Crytek thing doesn't destroy Star Citizen. Every time they try and implement anything the result is hilarious. This quarterly update schedule is great because you get to see the same old pattern of citizens getting hyped only to be handed a poo poo sandwich every 3 months.

The reality of 3.1 is sinking in now with the citizens on reddit and CIG has trolled them super hard with the waiting times to get ships back after crashes.

Don't mess this up, Crytek. Don't take Star Citizen away from me.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

This video is pure magic. Star Citizer truly is the BDSSE.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

intardnation posted:

Citizens are really dumb.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

intardnation posted:

Because only a non-believer would dare fact-check something said by an infallible community manager. You believe, don't you?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

We stopped using the word sale after years of using it because it can get us into legal problems, not our fault that we were just using it a few months ago and that you got used to it OK???

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Yeah, I know I shouldn't be surprised that Lando has the sheer pants-making GBS threads audacity to chastise his customers for using a term CIG insisted upon using for seven years, but God drat dude. He had to be drunk. Why even go to some pissant twitch stream and start poo poo like that?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah, I know I shouldn't be surprised that Lando has the sheer pants-making GBS threads audacity to chastise his customers for using a term CIG insisted upon using for seven years, but God drat dude. He had to be drunk. Why even go to some pissant twitch stream and start poo poo like that?

Lando lies for shits and giggles, probably to everyone all the time. He's perfect for CIG.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

https://twitter.com/commando_tom/status/981165167852470272

:smug:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

The sense of scale is so hosed up. It looks like a gnat flying between pebbles.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Beet Wagon posted:

Can you take one for the team and test that one mode of the game that doesn't show any activity in the leaderboard and see if you show up? Think of it as research.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Saladin Rising posted:

Roberts raised $200 million from private backers worldwide and auditors from Germany. He and his on-again/off-again wife employed college students to do the game design, music, graphics and programming on an Alienware PC, with no deadline, playtesting or bugfixing done. Technical work was contracted out, and discarded. According to Roberts, the game has been misrepresented as a "scam" by Derek Smart; he clarifies that he never intended for the game to be a scam, at least at first, and believed it was a genuinely good business venture after seeing his neighborhood become entranced by his game 20 years ago.

However, it was Roberts' overconfidence and lack of opposable non-thumb digits that led to the project's downfall, by hiring inexperienced programmers and giving them such unending crunch without knowing how long games typically took to make, and thinking such a poor quality product would be able to make him rich via the Squadron 42 franchise.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Spectrum posted:

3.1: Yet another opportunity wasted - Thread closed for continued trolling, baiting, and mocking of others.

I consider myself a neutral backer. I love the game and have already supported it to a concierge level...but, man, sometimes it is so hard to recommend it to any of my friends.

The reason is simple. Since the 2.6.3 release, CIG refuses to build a playable patch....Remember that the game is advertised as “playable right now, all you need is a 45$ game package”. To me, it should either be playable, or not advertised as such!

Some fellow backers refuse to admit that it is not 2012 anymore!!! The company is stable, there are studios, 400+ employees, backers that throw ridiculous amount of funds in this game. For me, there is no excuse for this mess.

And by “mess” I mean the CIG’s endeavors to ruin gameplay experience in every step of the way.

The way I see it is...
It is always form over function
It is always visuals over performance
It is always new features over fixing the old broken ones

WE DONT NEED ANY NEW FEATURES

We have a gameplay. We already have a excellent gameplay good enough to keep us busy for the rest of 2018!!! If only those elements worked...here is a list of things that do not function as intended. And CIG STUBBORNLY REFUSES TO FIX always using some stupid excuse...

Flight mechanics:
The flight model IS BRILLIANT, better than any other game. However, CIG refuses to dial down every parameter to bring it to a normal real life pace. Again... it “has to look cool” with unreal 12,5 G’s accelerations!!!, Who cares if we have to built an aimbot (aka e.s.p.) to help the player land shots? Just turn off e.s.p. and you will see. It is never about fixing the root of the issue, it is only about better patching it, with a better e.s.p. And yes of course it is competitive! It would have been anyhow!

Turrets:
Wasted opportunity. Why CIG stubbornly refuses to have a team of people to sit down and fix flight model, side by side with turrets to make a playable experience for both just eludes me!!! It is there!!! It is ready!!! It is a cheap fix!!! You give easy, cheap for you, gameplay experience...like WTF??? How come you waste this one for sooo long?

Missions:
Look CIG, we need missions! We need something. Anything. Why did you make this universe if there no missions there? Just take package from point a to point b? Just kill those pirates? Just shut down or turn on a comm array? C’mon now, do something with all those “very talented employees” of yours. And by the way, where is Miles? Where is Ruto? Which of you talented employees of yours made the call, to hide the new mission giver tech, behind a “secret” chain of missions? I mean like what? You spent all our money in those mission givers and just choose to hide them behind non working ECN missions??? Seriously??????

Persistence:
You had it coming!!! I really enjoyed this one. Look...persistence is a thing, however it has to be solid and meaningful. But since you have no idea, here is how it is done: Players MUST have some sence of progression, that means that a player must be able to earn a meaningful amount of money (aUEC or REC) thru mission completing (not just freaking 205aUEC per bugged mission!!!!) and use those to upgrade his/her ship with equipment! That means that the ship’s new load out FREAKING PERSISTS!!! Jesus!!! Fix that drat thing a.s.a.p. and stop worrying about planetary visuals!!!! We have excellent visuals!!! We have no gameplay to support them! And by the way, THANK YOU FOR MAKING THOSE NEW WAPONS, CURRENTLY UNABLE TO GET FROM...WELL... ANYWHERE!!! Lack of insight? Or you just missed that one?

Economy:
Best malfunctionIng game economy EVER! What were you thinking? A few missions, for 200ish earnings? Are you high? How many times do I have to do the same freaking take the box from point a to point b??? How can I support the insurance claim due to a server crash? I am not blaming you for the server crash here. I blame you for the lack of insight of your so called talented devs! Like...what? You didn’t see that coming? 1000aUEC for ship expedite of 45’ of ship respawn time, when the average mission just gives you 100-500 aUEC???

Piracy:
Shouldn’t piracy be more that just grieving by now? Did CIG noticed that you can’t sell the cargo of a stolen ship? So why do anyone be a dick and attack a fellow citizen, if no profit can be made? Simple solution, for a company that cares: The last to have seated in the pilot’s seat, gains rights to sell the cargo of that ship. So if you happen to steal one, or kill the pilot if one, you can make profit. Furthermore, whenever a ship blows up, these tiny boxes that emerge...SHOULD cost like 1000aUEC each for me to care collect them!!! I know that their 2aUEC value is true to the economy, but obviously it doesn’t work!!! Who will spend 5 hours to collect the boxes from the interdiction caterpillar for 100aUEC????...yeah...no wonder NO ONE bothers to kill interdiction ships, or collect their remains...(hint: no entity reduction...duh)

Item 2.0:
The item 2.0, as shown by the survey, is the most important thing for the people that give you money. We need, multiplayer item 2.0 working properly! That means my copilot alters the Shields and that works for every ship! That means my turret gunner can take power from my power generator (obviously my turret works for once!!!!). THAT MEANS, WHEN I GO TO STEALTH MODE I AM A BIT STEATHIER !!! That means that radar and scanning works in a first iteration!!! That means, when I shut down my nox IT IS NOT VISIBLE FROM 15KM AWAY IN A FREAKING CANYON!!!!! That means different detection ranges and different ship signatures depending on the ship setting!!! Like what the hell? Are we still playing arena commander 1.0???

Multiplayer:
For a so called mmo, you have the worst multiplayer interactions EVER. You added the service beacon, well done. But did you sit down for a second to think that maybe, just maybe, players them selves would simply like to give aUEC to another player??? I mean...think...what would be the problem to just let us players m, have the option to transfer money from player a to player b, for personal reasons!!! Obviously it would be done between org members, but it would be useful to just give money to an org member, to help him do bigger cargo runs and then let us split the profit!!! Easy, simple, immersive...But no...you want to troubleshoot for more service beacon options right??? Like a simple give x aURC to player z is to simple for you right???

Story telling:
It not Star citizen’s role to do that, but Can you please use that talented lore team of yours to add some bit of story telling INSIDE the game? I mean, you have the “tablet props”...freaking use them!!! Why haven’t you thought of adding some story telling in those planet assets of yours? Why do have the average backer, finding an outpost with no story involved, and read stories in the rsi site with no gameplay involved?...C’mon...simple stuff...a player gets to an emergency shelter or outpost, he/she finds some info with triangulation to find another derelict...no radar involved...simple...immersive...fund raising...

And the list goes on...I only highlighted the best of them...

Basically CIG sacrifices a good gameplay experience, for a better screenshot machine

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mu77ley posted:

Nah, I remember Cassette 50 as well. We're talking C64/ZX Spectrum era computing here.

Pack of C90s and a rainy afternoon; the true and horrific face of 1980s software piracy was often trying to solder up a DIN to jack lead out of old speaker cable. Tane.

Edit: turn off Dolby and jack up the treble.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Sounds to me like he doesn't understand game development

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

PederP posted:

Oh noes, I have been doxxed. Amazon are trying to hire me to work on LumberYard. I told them no, it's still CryEngine, and I prefer to not touch the poop (slightly reworded).

They lost one of the three 'flagship' games that they've been working on. The Games division looks really shaky at times, which is odd because Amazon operates close to margin.

alf_pogs posted:

but reddit also told me, his weenis was so puny that all he did was of no consequence

Ah, but that conker bag. Majestic, and cradling two brassy plums. A Colossus of low hung fruit.

Hav fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 3, 2018

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Virtual Captain posted:

3.1: Yet another opportunity wasted

Yes CIG listens to the backers :lol::lol::lol:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

As ever, the notion that "Backers are just voicing Goon opinions with a 3-year delay" continues to hold water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

:lol::lol::lol:

WTFO should borrow some of Clifford's fans to help with that burn.