Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

aphid_licker posted:

That seems like a great way to get your Special Forces to go native and corrupt

The Zetas started as deserters from Mexican special forces who did dirty work for the Gulf Cartel before going into business for themselves. Many such cases!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Are there any Greek or Classical (reproductions obviously) galleys and ships anywhere one can go see and walk around on? Or, I suppose, detailed models or drawings/youtube videos and the like? I'm trying to wrap my head around how these multiple banks of oars and such worked and how they would fight. Google was surprisingly unhelpful

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nuclear War posted:

Are there any Greek or Classical (reproductions obviously) galleys and ships anywhere one can go see and walk around on? Or, I suppose, detailed models or drawings/youtube videos and the like? I'm trying to wrap my head around how these multiple banks of oars and such worked and how they would fight. Google was surprisingly unhelpful

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2016/10/07/priority-greek-navy-maintains-reconstruction-ancient-athenian-trireme-hs-olympias-ship-kind-world/

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Someone better write post-apoc fiction where that gets used.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Wasn't one of those bow rams dug up and they checked the design against current engineering know-how and they determined it was an insanely good design for the purpose? Like using those outboard flukes to strengthen and keep the force vectors aligned with the keel without significantly expanding the impacting surface area thus imparting maximum energy at the point of contact?

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 2nd Apr 1918 posted:

Equipment was allowed to be taken off and 50% of the men took their boots off. The day was spent chiefly in cleaning up the tunnels and trenches and salvaging. A considerable amount of S.A.A. tools and equipment was restored and this is being sent back to salvage dumps in rear. The day passed peacefully, but all were busy reconnoitring the ground in front and round about. During the night patrols went out from our left and right and got in touch with the enemy.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WW2 Data

Back again with some pyrotechnics and other auxiliary items. What does a grenade train look like? Why shouldn't you ditch photoflash bombs over friendly territory? How powerful is an AN-M46 photoflash bomb in terms of candlepower? What is a Salute Mk 1 Mod 0? We also see a return of the Very Pistol signals that, I believe, were last seen in the Russian updates a long time ago. In any case, check it out at the blog!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
if you guys liked trin's stuff you should check out @vor400, which is doing the same thing for the 30yw

https://twitter.com/vor400/status/978891983832875009

things are starting to get tense, guys...

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Nuclear War posted:

I'm trying to wrap my head around how these multiple banks of oars and such worked and how they would fight. Google was surprisingly unhelpful

To the best of my knowledge this is a major point of contention amongst Greek historians as well. The sources we have don't go into a lot of detail and historians are left proposing this or that setup and method and then fighting each other to the death over their interpretations.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

HEY GUNS posted:

if you guys liked trin's stuff you should check out @vor400, which is doing the same thing for the 30yw

https://twitter.com/vor400/status/978891983832875009

things are starting to get tense, guys...

If I don't know German, am I stuck with Google Translate?

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Tomn posted:

To the best of my knowledge this is a major point of contention amongst Greek historians as well. The sources we have don't go into a lot of detail and historians are left proposing this or that setup and method and then fighting each other to the death over their interpretations.

What I've read is that the number in the name refers to how many men are in a given file of oars, eg a penteres/quinquireme would have five rowers per file, but how exactly they were arranged is not mentioned in older sources. So, said "five" could have 3 banks of oars, with two men on two oars and one solo oar; or two oars with 3 and 2, or one oar with 5 dudes. Reconstructions have shown that you can't really get more than three banks, though, so the debate is mostly about the exact layouts of polyreme files. I suspect that these layouts varied over time and between cultures.

The monster ships have pretty good evidence backing them up, though, and I know some absurdly huge rams have been found indicative of 7s or 8s. The tesserakonteres (fourty) is corroborated in more than one source and almost certainly existed, and that's the most absurd one by far. The consensus seems to be that ut was some kind of catamaran, and all the old sources are pretty clear it was a giant river-peen the Ptolemies made to show how baller they were, used as the most ridiculously expensive way to cruise the Nile,with no real applicability as a warship.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

SAA tools?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tomn posted:

gently caress just build it and fight it out literally

whoever survives was empirically correct

Clarence
May 3, 2012

JcDent posted:

SAA tools?

S.A.A., tools

The comma wasn't in the original, and I swithered over whether to include one or not. I try to copy as closely as possible, otherwise I'd be fixing spelling, grammar and consistency all the time.

S.A.A. is Small Arms Ammunition, of course.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Did they drink beer at all? Cuz wine is waaay stronger than all but the maltest of beverages. I know smallbeers were a thing esp for laborers and such but your guys seem too rowdy for such weak sauce

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Did they drink beer at all? Cuz wine is waaay stronger than all but the maltest of beverages. I know smallbeers were a thing esp for laborers and such but your guys seem too rowdy for such weak sauce

I don't know about Heygal's dudes but it's been common at various points in history to water wine down before drinking it.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Thanks for this! Even in Catalan it's super informative. I'm always amazed at seeing such fundamental engineering principles used with such simple tools to create something relatively high tech. The water pressure -> air pump stood out for me.

Yeah that blew my fuckin mind.

quote:

On a similar topic, I came across a site (probably from this thread) a couple years ago that outlined a primarily economic theory of why armor in Europe transitioned from almost entirely mail to mail mostly being used to supplement plate armor.

The main contention was that in a pre-gunpowder environment that mail armor was at least if not more effective than plate, and that the transition was driven by the increasing price of labor and the falling price of high quality steel plate. Mail taking many more man-hours than plate for a similar quality product.

Do you know the website I'm talking about? It's nearly impossible to find via googling based on the limited bits I remember.

That sounds like this article: https://myarmoury.com/feature_mail.html

I don't totally agree with Dan's conclusions, but I think he makes a pretty good case overall.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
So I found out what a Chummery was today.

a clutch of single late 19th century officers rooming together in Bungalow quarters in India

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Bring your own innuendo, folks

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Milo and POTUS posted:

Beer too. You are issued either wine or beer depending on where you are in Europe

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

Wasn't one of those bow rams dug up and they checked the design against current engineering know-how and they determined it was an insanely good design for the purpose? Like using those outboard flukes to strengthen and keep the force vectors aligned with the keel without significantly expanding the impacting surface area thus imparting maximum energy at the point of contact?

Wonder how many times the front fell off the bote before they finally had all those tricks figured out, and how close they got to going gently caress it, ramming is for the birds

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

HEY GUNS posted:

Beer too. You are issued either wine or beer depending on where you are in Europe

Same with the navies, the original rum ration was a gallon of beer, but you could get it in wine, rum or something else, depending on where you served. Though unfortunately, you wouldn't get a gallon of rum daily, just a meager half pint. And later they served it mixed with water, so that it would be harder for the sailors to hoard it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ChubbyChecker posted:

Same with the navies, the original rum ration was a gallon of beer, but you could get it in wine, rum or something else, depending on where you served. Though unfortunately, you wouldn't get a gallon of rum daily, just a meager half pint. And later they served it mixed with water, so that it would be harder for the sailors to hoard it.

I've made authentic Royal Navy grog before (albeit with a somewhat lower proof than the original rum). It just tastes like weak, watery rum with a bit of lime and it's virtually impossible to get drunk on. Refreshing if you're working on a hot day, but just about anything would be at that point.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

chitoryu12 posted:

I've made authentic Royal Navy grog before (albeit with a somewhat lower proof than the original rum). It just tastes like weak, watery rum with a bit of lime and it's virtually impossible to get drunk on. Refreshing if you're working on a hot day, but just about anything would be at that point.

Same with the gallon of beer.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Man, I'd love some to be issued some weak, but refreshing beer.

Wait, did it also taste good?

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Milhist poster, upon learning that sailors got half an imperial pint of overproof rum, or over 12 units of alcohol per day, scratches head. "How did they ever manage to get drunk? It is a mystery."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

JcDent posted:

Man, I'd love some to be issued some weak, but refreshing beer.

Wait, did it also taste good?

Medieval ales made before hops, according to those who have tried brewing them, tasted basically like liquid bread with whatever herbs and spices the gruit added.

It gets more complicated for 18th and 19th century beers because that's when you got industrial-scale brewing with more scientific experimentation with the mash bill. It's hard to really recreate these beers because the brewing methods have changed even if the recipes are identical (like switching from wood to stainless steel). The closest you could probably get is Guinness in Dublin out of a keg, or one of the old Trappist monasteries that still brews to support itself. Westvleteren 12 is one of those, but good luck buying it from anywhere except resellers.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

By the way, good looking milsurp jacket you managed to jack!

If that was really you.

You don't look fat enough to a real goon.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JcDent posted:

If that was really you.

he posts his picture in the post your picture thread all the time

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

JcDent posted:

If that was really you.

Goons are constantly surprising.

HEY GUNS posted:

Post your picture coward.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

HEY GUNS posted:

One of the many fine threads I never visit!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Tunicate posted:

gently caress just build it and fight it out literally

whoever survives was empirically correct

Last words of a drowning professor:

"That was inconclusive, my crew of students and I are not in as good shape as the farmers and laborers of Athens would have been, nor do we have the experience with the complicated yet effective Athenian tactics necessary to make them truly work, and furthermore glub blub blub"

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'm reading Village of Secrets, which is about the efforts to get Jews out of occupied France. Great book. I found a fun bit of trivia.

In Vichy France it was an offense to carry two fishing poles (deux gaules) because that sounds way too much like De Gaul. Man, the Nazis were petty sometimes.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

mllaneza posted:

Man, the Nazis were petty sometimes.
dude they barred jews from having housepets

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

aphid_licker posted:

Wonder how many times the front fell off the bote before they finally had all those tricks figured out, and how close they got to going gently caress it, ramming is for the birds

Probably plenty since the commentary on the Athlit Ram made the effort of pointing out that it was painstakingly shaped to precisely fit the spar it was mounted on with minimal play (I think they found it still attached to the wood). I'm guessing that they realized a wobbly ram broke off way more often.

These were massively expensive in both bronze and labor so yeah they probably had a lot of debate on how to make a ship similarly dangerous without the budget-busting hunk of bronze wrapped on the nose of the boat because they could make a bunch of other stuff with that metal/laborer-hours that had a better chance of being recovered. If you lose a 1000-lb bronze ram on the water it's probably not coming back.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

mllaneza posted:

I'm reading Village of Secrets, which is about the efforts to get Jews out of occupied France. Great book. I found a fun bit of trivia.

In Vichy France it was an offense to carry two fishing poles (deux gaules) because that sounds way too much like De Gaul. Man, the Nazis were petty sometimes.

Wasn't this being done deliberately to show support for the Free French? Like, it wasn't just a case of them finding some random guy with a couple fishing rods and flipping out, people were doing it on purpose.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

mllaneza posted:

I mean, when the Danish Protest Pig is a thing, they're a little justified in taking petty action against petty protests.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

mllaneza posted:

This went both ways apparently:

"In addition to sabotage, these activities [of the Resistance] included carrying two bamboo fishing poles (deux gaules—a visual pun signifying support for Charles de Gaulle), scratching V for victory on walls, radioing intelligence to London before the Gestapo detection team could locate the signal, passing downed Allied airmen along a chain of safe houses to the Spanish frontier, printing and distributing clandestine newssheets, even organizing a “secret army.”"
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/2016/02/25/truth-about-french-resistance/

bewbies posted:

Wasn't this being done deliberately to show support for the Free French? Like, it wasn't just a case of them finding some random guy with a couple fishing rods and flipping out, people were doing it on purpose.

Yes.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

Probably plenty since the commentary on the Athlit Ram made the effort of pointing out that it was painstakingly shaped to precisely fit the spar it was mounted on with minimal play (I think they found it still attached to the wood). I'm guessing that they realized a wobbly ram broke off way more often.

These were massively expensive in both bronze and labor so yeah they probably had a lot of debate on how to make a ship similarly dangerous without the budget-busting hunk of bronze wrapped on the nose of the boat because they could make a bunch of other stuff with that metal/laborer-hours that had a better chance of being recovered. If you lose a 1000-lb bronze ram on the water it's probably not coming back.

I finished a book about the history of the Med recently that also noted the bit about those rams being 200kgs of bronze and I had the same thought, how ridiculously expensive those must've been. Also it's kind of a bronze age A-10 in terms of the boat being designed around the weapon. Did they have to put a counterweight in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
200 kilos isn't that much compared to the overall weight - supposedly about a hundred fifty men could lift and carry a trireme, so if you figure 50kg per man then the weight of the ram is about 2.5% of the total weight of the boat. I assume that excludes oars, sails, rigging, and other sundries so by the time you load it up the weight is negligible.