Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

i think videogames are cool as gently caress and as a medium have continued to evolve in interesting ways.

the smooth brained criticisms coming about as a result of the sheer torrents of AIDS blood in your system that are currently transcending the blood/brain barrier do not make me value your criteria.

begone failtard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

I'm not sure which would be sadder-- that you'd post that while being dead serious, or hoping for a troll reaction.

lo and behold!

i figured my almost complete lack of interest in modern video games would be unpopular in this forum, lol

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

actually,

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dyna Soar posted:

lo and behold!

i figured my almost complete lack of interest in modern video games would be unpopular in this forum, lol
Latter then.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
here's another one: adults who play games as their main hobby should probably grow up and maybe read a book or something

no i was serious, gone are the glory days of the 90s when video games were fun

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

:razz:

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Dyna Soar posted:

you should play mario odyssey. it's basically one of the best games from the 90s (mario 64) but with all the advantages of 20 years of advances in video game science

Dyna Soar posted:

here's another one: adults who play games as their main hobby should probably grow up and maybe read a book or something

oh this is true

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
yeah i have to admit that switch looks REALLY fun and if i had extra money i might buy one. it's exactly what i fantasized video games of the future would be when i was a kid

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

the switch is good.

maybe ur old rear end would like something like stardew valley? very comfy game

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Dyna Soar posted:

yeah i have to admit that switch looks REALLY fun and if i had extra money i might buy one. it's exactly what i fantasized video games of the future would be when i was a kid

sorry but it's only fun if you have friends

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

hawowanlawow posted:

Hahahahaha

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Dyna Soar posted:

I play video games and read books

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Dongicus posted:

the switch is good.

i have plenty of chores to do at home and at my summer cabin, i have no interest in doing the same chores in a game

hawowanlawow posted:

none of my close friends play video games, true

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dongicus posted:

overwatchs character and graphical design are complete aids and looks like diarrea rear end on the toilet

:agreed: also Fortnite.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Dyna Soar posted:

i have plenty of chores to do at home and at my summer cabin, i have no interest in doing the same chores in a game

get out of here old man

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Dyna Soar posted:

Racing sims are good old man games. Source: Me, old man.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Dongicus posted:

the switch is good.

Bitch u don’t know me

Keep my name out ur mouth

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

old beast lunatic posted:

Racing sims are good old man games. Source: Me, old man.

i have to drive 500 kms almost every weekend to band practise as well as commuting to work, play driving isn't relaxing to me

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Just play the new doom then geez. You're a broken person if you don't like doom.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

old beast lunatic posted:

Just play the new doom then geez. You're a broken person if you don't like doom.

it looked p. fun, i might if i have time. i naturally played the old 2.5d FPS games like blood to death when i was a kid, hopefully it can live up to them.

last game i really liked was the long dark beta, the sandbox was really fun until you learned how to game the system and survive indefinitely. then the story mode was released and it's poo poo and no more updates to the sandbox, either. that game should have been developed as a survival sandbox with a myst like plot that unfolds as you explore and solve puzzles. it should have been up to you whether you learn the plot or not, you should have been allowed to just survive instead of advancing the plot if you felt like it. they really dropped the ball with that game.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
If you want a video game where you do something you don't do in real life, then perchance may I suggest a dating sim?

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Bitch u don’t know me

Keep my name out ur mouth

was i talking to you punk? when i'm done reloading my desert eagle you're next after the old man who doesnt like videogames in the thread about how you hate videogames thread

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

idk if this is an unpopular opinion but i think the new far cry is good, and fun

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

2house2fly posted:

If you want a video game where you do something you don't do in real life, then perchance may I suggest a dating sim?

:stare: :staredog:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

2house2fly posted:

what, like a high school dating sim? your right i dont date teenage girls anymore

you know what a dating sim for adults is called? tinder and when you win you get laid

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Dongicus posted:

was i talking to you punk? when i'm done reloading my desert eagle you're next after the old man who doesnt like videogames in the thread about how you hate videogames thread

Most heartfelt apologies respected sir, I was confused by the use of my name but now I realize my huge mistake and misunderstanding, please pay no mind to my presence, apologies apologies

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Dyna Soar posted:

what, like a high school dating sim? your right i dont date teenage girls anymore

you know what a dating sim for adults is called? tinder and when you win you get laid

I would probably lose big in that case, if my wife found out

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Dongicus posted:

i think videogames are cool as gently caress and as a medium have continued to evolve in interesting ways.

the smooth brained criticisms coming about as a result of the sheer torrents of AIDS blood in your system that are currently transcending the blood/brain barrier do not make me value your criteria.

begone failtard.

I agree with your opinion, but the aids jokes and failtard make me want to shove you in a locker.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dyna Soar posted:

what if the game is like baseball or poker? thats a respectable hobby

Dyna Soar posted:

stardew valley and minecraft are games for people that want to feel like they own property but are too poor. it won't appeal if you own real property

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The last time I've felt any shred of positive emotions was in the 90s when I was a child therefore only things from the 90s are good :smug:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

Really the problem is designing a competitive game where--after a certain threshold--victory can be determined extremely early on by one or two unforced errors. It's the exact same problem I used to have when I played L4D2 competitive ~~seriously~~. Sometimes I'd be on the receiving end where I missed a jump as a jockey or w/e and allowed the enemy to roll our infected on the first spawn and thus build momentum that carried them through the level, and it sucked. Other times I'd be watching someone else whiff a hunter jump or utterly fail to stay with us as survivors and blow the first round, and it sucked. In the end the problem was with the design of the game, and made me stop playing even though competitive was a blast "when it was fun."

MOBAs really need a square-one overhaul if they're ever going to shed that deserved reputation.

I really hate most MOBAs but I find HOTS digestible in short bursts because it at least attempts to be progressive about MOBAs' intentionally over-complicated learning curves and poor game flow--as you say, one error and you've thrown the game, but you won't necessarily even know what the error was and it may not even be you that did it.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

2house2fly posted:

:master:

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
At least with CSGO (and its toxic-rear end 'community') its possible to either claw back a draw as it's round based
, or have fun just dicking around with stupid setups. I put a bunch of hours into DOTA a couple years ago and it was no fun whatsoever, once you're losing thats pretty much it and all you can hope for is to get stomped asap so it's over.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

NonzeroCircle posted:

At least with CSGO (and its toxic-rear end 'community') its possible to either claw back a draw as it's round based
, or have fun just dicking around with stupid setups. I put a bunch of hours into DOTA a couple years ago and it was no fun whatsoever, once you're losing thats pretty much it and all you can hope for is to get stomped asap so it's over.

Also it takes at least 45 freakin minutes even if you know you lost in the first 20

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Rimworld is unfair. I do not say this because my first decent colony that didn't die from mass heat stroke burnt down because my intelligence to have wiring go through wooden buildings that were built veeery close together and on a grass field of highly flammable materials. No I do not.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Rimworld is as easy or hard as you make it. But if you dont know what youre doing and do a difficult randy random the game can be insanely unfair it's true

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

basic hitler posted:

Rimworld is as easy or hard as you make it. But if you dont know what youre doing and do a difficult randy random the game can be insanely unfair it's true

Yeah totally im doing Randy on hard.....

Classic on standard difficulty :saddowns:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

dont even fink about it posted:

I really hate most MOBAs but I find HOTS digestible in short bursts because it at least attempts to be progressive about MOBAs' intentionally over-complicated learning curves and poor game flow--as you say, one error and you've thrown the game, but you won't necessarily even know what the error was and it may not even be you that did it.

HotS is better than other mobas for most people because a 30 minute game is a hard-fought struggle and a total stomp is like 12 minutes tops. The distance between the action that decided the game's ending and the game actually ending is relatively short, and the objectives serve as game-ending accelerants. It makes it so if you are playing a match you're gonna hate playing, the amount of time you spend playing it is minimized.

Expecting players to play games they don't enjoy until they are good enough at the game to enjoy them is bad game design

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Gridlocked posted:

Yeah totally im doing Randy on hard.....

Classic on standard difficulty :saddowns:

do Phoebe basebuilder easy to learn the mechanics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

moba is a poo poo genre you can only make fun with 5 people you have a good enough relationship with that it can take and handle embarassing loss in stride.

hots is poo poo, LoL is poo poo, and dota 2 is the only thing worth playing but it also is the hardest to learn and has the 2nd most toxic community so its not worth playing if you have to play with randos or even goons.