Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Found a Line 6 Spider IV in a dumpster.

Looks like it was a combo at one point.
It still functions perfectly fine aside from being a Line 6 product.
It's fun to bash around on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Got me a Nine of Swords Tyrant Fuzz. Here's a video of testing it for the first time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQRF5-xb0P8

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Frank Caskelot posted:

Got me a Nine of Swords Tyrant Fuzz. Here's a video of testing it for the first time.

I like your record collection and the shelf you have them stored on. I have been trying to find something where I can store my records (have about 200, but adding more all the time), any recommendations?

Oh and that fuzz is pretty cool too.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Frank Caskelot posted:

Sounds like a Meathead Dark but considerably less expensive. Those things rule!

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Thumposaurus posted:

Found a Line 6 Spider IV in a dumpster.

Looks like it was a combo at one point.
It still functions perfectly fine aside from being a Line 6 product.
It's fun to bash around on.

Even if it is a Line 6, why would anyone put a functional amp in a dumpster? Maybe it was a mad wife/girlfriend after a breakup with a guitarist, or someone who says Line 6 is garbage was making a statement.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Frank Caskelot posted:

Heck yes. Nice record collection too.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Well it's a dumpster behind a guitar center there's usually something interesting to dig out of it.
Have gotten half smashed ukuleles, instrument cases, lots of cables, the list goes on.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Thumposaurus posted:

Well it's a dumpster behind a guitar center there's usually something interesting to dig out of it.
Have gotten half smashed ukuleles, instrument cases, lots of cables, the list goes on.

I thought that was an urban legend that they throw away perfectly good gear. Does anyone ever give you poo poo for dumpster diving or do you go at night when no one is there? Do you find that you just check randomly or do they seem to have a schedule of when they put things in the dumpster? I like projects and do repairs so even close to literal trash would be great to practice on.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

We check it at night, but the guys we've run into there literally don't give a poo poo.
They told us if it's in/around the dumpster it's trash.

There's a guy on youtube that does it too and he's found a Gibson Les Paul that it looked like they smashed with a hammer.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Thumposaurus posted:

We check it at night, but the guys we've run into there literally don't give a poo poo.
They told us if it's in/around the dumpster it's trash.

There's a guy on youtube that does it too and he's found a Gibson Les Paul that it looked like they smashed with a hammer.

Oh man did Gibson come out with their new Hammered line already?

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
I've heard of heavy relicing, but that's just ridiculous!

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Noise Machine posted:

Oh man did Gibson come out with their new Hammered line already?

Hammer reliced Les Paul Standard, now only $11,999

Hammer reliced Les Paul Standard in vintage toaster mint green, limited edition, $17,999

ask for it

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 3, 2018

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

MrSargent posted:

I like your record collection and the shelf you have them stored on. I have been trying to find something where I can store my records (have about 200, but adding more all the time), any recommendations?

Oh and that fuzz is pretty cool too.

My shelf is this modular thing called Lundia, which I think is Finnish, or at least everyone and their aunt has a few bits of. Easily obtainable second hand but actually costs a pretty penny new. All my shelves are hand-me-downs, though, most they cost me is I helped a friend move house.

I've seen people use the Kallax line from IKEA, though. I think the guitarist/vocalist from Crippled Black Phoenix has exactly that (I follow him on instagram).

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Just brought this home for $10

Junk, right? Well, if you know your effects this might change your mind

From what I can tell it is what's left of a ~1968 Vox Post-Clyde/Pre-846 Wah. Battery clip, pot, and switch are missing. No bottom or feet, and the pin that holds the top on is gone, too. Obviously one bad capacitor, seeing as the corners are ripped open.

It's a project, but for $10 I'd think I could flip it on Reverb for 10x that if I don't feel like putting it into working shape.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

widefault posted:

Just brought this home for $10

Junk, right? Well, if you know your effects this might change your mind

From what I can tell it is what's left of a ~1968 Vox Post-Clyde/Pre-846 Wah. Battery clip, pot, and switch are missing. No bottom or feet, and the pin that holds the top on is gone, too. Obviously one bad capacitor, seeing as the corners are ripped open.

It's a project, but for $10 I'd think I could flip it on Reverb for 10x that if I don't feel like putting it into working shape.

:eyepop:

I'd think you might get $400+ for that.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

:eyepop:

I'd think you might get $400+ for that.
And that's a conservative estimate. Widefault, get that thing functional and you can auction it. Reverb auctions can go for some insane prices. Like a couple of mics Steve Albini auctioned went for like 20k.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Honestly for like $50 of parts max you can nab mad money on that thing

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The only thing that's probably wrong is that cap but if it's a transistor or the inductor then it will have lost significant "value."

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
I've probably wanted a strat for 25 years. So, it's a strat. But your first strat is something special, right? A local store had 20% off everything, and I'd had a couple of day beers... Only a Mexican strat, but everything I wanted.

I had a Thinline Tele with widerange humbuckers, a Mustang with P90s, and now I finally have a single coil guitar. I can quit now, right? :kiddo:

The scratchplate is actually nicer than it looks. I haven't finished cleaning off the glue from the plastic covering that was surprisingly tricky to remove. Any recommendations on what to use to remove it?

LampkinsMateSteve fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 14, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Nice guitar! If you’re anything like me you’ll fall in love and miss the Strat every time you pick up something else. Mine is a Classic Vibe 60s that looks super similar to that one. I love it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I love strats. I was extremely lucky and got a Mexican Strat as my first “real“ guitar when I was learning to play years and years ago. It’s cream colored with a rosewood fretboard. I had no idea what I had back then, but thankfully I never sold it.

I beat the hell out of that thing and it still sounds and plays amazingly well, and the paint is finally starting to dull and chip in the right spots. It’s beautiful and actually getting better with age.

What I’m saying is that Strats are great and you’ll love yours. Congrats!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

GreatGreen posted:

BAD POST WITHOUT PHOTOS OF COOL AS HECK STRAT

:colbert:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

My first "real" guitar was a G&L tribute legacy from when they were made in Korea, it's real nice. I swapped the pickups for Sinners though :v:

It's in its bag instead of on a stand because I lost a stand when I let my mom have my jazzmaster to learn so of course I included a stand in that deal, and plugged the THRs

e: And you used to get some good fuckin bags when you bought the G&L tributes, lots of padding, pockets, and a nifty hook that tucks inside a pocket so you can hang it on a bar in your closet or something if you want

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I loved my strat. I sorta regret selling it, but at that point it just started feeling like my hands were too big for it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Kilometers Davis posted:

BAD POST WITHOUT PHOTOS OF COOL AS HECK STRAT
:colbert:

You're right and I apologize! However, my strat is currently about 1,500 miles away at my parents' house so I can't really take pictures of it.

To make up for this transgression, I'll post some pics I took at a music store of me playing a $22,000 1961 Strat (colored exactly like mine) through a $100,000+ Dumble Overdrive Special + matching vertical 2x12 cab!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

No problem :) I love the look of that Strat. I’m actually more into rosewood neck Strats than maple. Maple is classic but rosewood has a certain full unique look to it.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Kilometers Davis posted:

Nice guitar! If you’re anything like me you’ll fall in love and miss the Strat every time you pick up something else. Mine is a Classic Vibe 60s that looks super similar to that one. I love it.

Same. I have a tele and an agile LP clone, but I bought a burgundy mist classic vibe when musicians friend had them on the stupid deal for something like $200 and now it's basically the only electric I pick up. For me it's more about the ergonomics. It's light, comfortable to hold, and the fretboard is just a bit wider than the tele.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Well well well, this looks to be one disturbingly erotic post

Finally pulled the trigger on my first tube amp after researching for a while. Laney AOR 100w. Suuuuper happy so far love the tones I can pull out of it. Definitely made my bassist realize he needs to get a bigger rig.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Picked up a new bass toy

Also grabbed some of those new EBS cables to tighten up the board a bit.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
That is hottt my man.

Edit: thought this was bass thread for a moment, SUPER offtopic *snip*

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 22, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Okay it’s time I pay attention to them. Someone give me the rundown on why I should consider one of those various preamp pedals you see bassists praise ubiquitously. What would I get out of purchasing one?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

Okay it’s time I pay attention to them. Someone give me the rundown on why I should consider one of those various preamp pedals you see bassists praise ubiquitously. What would I get out of purchasing one?

Less money and a pedal.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just cowboy (or cowgirl) up and buy the Rack Preamps. The bass dude from my cover band uses it and the only heavy-rear end thing he carries anymore is his goofy Sonus 6 string.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I’m a fan of the modular approach whether it’s guitar or bass. I currently run a Verellen dual channel preamp into a class D solid state power amp but I can slave it to any power amp or amp with an fx loop. Right now I’m looking at a beastly Marshall 9200 power amp for relatively little money. The sound is incredible and it is very versatile.

I’m also looking at adding a rackmount SLO100 pre to the mix as well.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 22, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I always consider that because my goals are bedroom + recording buuuut tube amp half stacks are too loving cool and I’m a slave to it all.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

That’s why the Marshall 9200 has big ol glass bottles in it. 😁

The Verellen is all 12AX7s.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

I always consider that because my goals are bedroom + recording buuuut tube amp half stacks are too loving cool and I’m a slave to it all.

power (tube) slave

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

unlike the other sansamp stuff and similar pedals they actually do sound pretty close to what they're emulating

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I picked up one of these. Mb-5. It’s very Ibanezy for a Fender. Pic isn’t mine but it’s the same model.
https://imgur.com/gallery/0khvwVq

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Sorry if this is a derail, but I absolutely love the VT Bass pedal. I live in this small apartment and I do have a cute (loud) little Carvin amp but the pedal sounds absolutely awesome.
I prefer it to amp-modeling software because I've never had a recording setup that didn't introduce just enough latency to throw me off, so the pedal is just choice. I record my bass mostly through hardware:

Bass > VT Bass > Alesis compressor > recording interface to Reaper.

I love it because it also sounds awesome in front of the little Carvin combo, and if I needed to play a gig I'd use it for that, too (although I don't have the D.I. version, that's an easy work-around.)

Now, I can't speak to the other "Tech21" guitar pedals as I have never tried them, but I consider the VT-bass to be one "one-box-does-everything" bass amp sim, and it just works and has a great range of tones, a great EQ, and gain if you want it.
I'd like to have the one with the presets now, but I don't have any real use for it as I'm not playing often.

I still have the old picture from when I bought it.