Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

DO IT TO IT posted:

This may be a dumb question but do you just spray the GW sprays right onto the bare plastic? Or do you prime it first? I was thinking about getting the Zandri Dust to make all these tanks I need to paint go by quicker.

Not dumb at all. I just spray directly onto the plastic. Some paints, usually the thinner ones like yellow and white, need to be shaken a lot before spraying, and they need a couple passes.

So far Averland Sunset has been the trickiest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I am going to try the Krylon Camouflage for primer next time I have to paint some military colored dudes/things.

I saw some great reviews for it, and the colors are perfect for military stuff. Khaki, Olive, Green, Sand loom good.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's good stuff, and the olive is a great color for WW2 US armor.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Macragge Blue is a great spray, and a perfect match for the bottle paint. Rhinox Hide is a shade different but also a great spray.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Got to check out the new GW store (or rather Warhammer Store now?) they just opened near my work. Picked up a can of caliban spray and some null oil. Should make regular marines go super quick.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Groetgaffel posted:

As promised yesterday, here's some better :ssh:but still bad:ssh: pictures of my necrons.

And finally:

The Slapsthekh Praetorians!
Thanks to Der Waffle Mous for the name.

Quoting for a new page because these B some purdy cybermen.

Also I unironically love that the glorious god-enslaving skeleton race have no qualms packing themselves up like shopping racks for transport.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

Also I unironically love that the glorious god-enslaving skeleton race have no qualms packing themselves up like shopping racks for transport.

The warriors that are packed up don't actually have any free will, so it's unknown whether they have qualms. Only the leaders retained any free will.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Ah, I'm not as up-to-date on Necron lore so I thought the lords were only the start of them regaining sentience. Still amusing though. Like a fantasy skeleton empire that rides into battle on wagons made of other living skeleton warriors.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Admittedly it has been years but I have never had a good experience with rattle can primer of any manufacturer. Sandpapery texture, runny/wavy look, blobby popcorn look, always something wrong. Finally said gently caress it and now I have a large-ish brush I use to give a few layers of Gesso to prime my models. More time than spraying but whatever. I play 40k, obviously I don't value my time much.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

bird food bathtub posted:

Admittedly it has been years but I have never had a good experience with rattle can primer of any manufacturer. Sandpapery texture, runny/wavy look, blobby popcorn look, always something wrong. Finally said gently caress it and now I have a large-ish brush I use to give a few layers of Gesso to prime my models. More time than spraying but whatever. I play 40k, obviously I don't value my time much.

Get an airbrush!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
What brand did you use? I swear by Rustoleum grey & black and have had nothing but good experiences.

When I first started I got some grainy issues, but that cleared up once I stored the cans somewhere warmer + gave them some good hard shakes before using. I assume the grainy-thick issue comes when the lacquer solvent and paint haven't fully mixed, leading to chunky un-thinned paint.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

I had that problem with a white primer I got from Army Painter that I've been using on Poxwalkers, but GW primers spray on smooth. Honestly its making me regret cheaping out on the white primer.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

S.J. posted:

So I'm considering picking up Goliaths to use for my Battlewagons, but I'm not quite sure if they're close enough in size. Anyone know how the two compare?

Any ideas guys? No big deal if nobody knows, I'm gonna probably buy one anyways.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Neurolimal posted:

Thanks man!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I think the Goliaths might actually be too big - the old GM orks were on weird 20mm x 15mm bases and the Goliaths fit on a 32.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

moths posted:

I think the Goliaths might actually be too big - the old GM orks were on weird 20mm x 15mm bases and the Goliaths fit on a 32.

No, the Goliath vehicle that the Genestealer Cultists have, in place of a Battlewagon.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh! At least the phrase "Goliaths to use for my Battlewagons" could possibly mean what I thought it meant.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The carapace on my Knight Crusader is just straight mephiston red. Super smooth - but i have had some sandpaper issues. Mostly white and gold. too humid outside or too hot, i sprayed too far away or didn't rattle the can enough.

The current line of GW primers really are great.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Duplicolor Sandable Primer for black, grey, red, or white.

Army Painter Barbarian Flesh (follow their instructions)

Tamiya Primer for Resin

... only if the weather is good.

Airbrush Primer the rest of the time. Since I live in Illinois, I have to airbrush 80% of the year.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
How close to screaming skull is ushabti bone? Trying to decide if it would be good to pick up a can for my deathguard, but I'm using screaming skull as the base color.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

moths posted:

Oh! At least the phrase "Goliaths to use for my Battlewagons" could possibly mean what I thought it meant.

It's all good :v:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

S.J. posted:

Any ideas guys? No big deal if nobody knows, I'm gonna probably buy one anyways.

They're bulkier than a trukk, but not Battlewagon size. They just look bigger because the dudes riding them are Guardsman-sized. Great start for an orky conversion though.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

moths posted:

I can't remember where I saw it done, but looted Goliaths looked great.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Eh, even if I could get spray primers to work I'm used to Gesso-brushing primer on now. I find I have more control with a brush than a can. Haven't made the leap into the world of air brushing yet. Might some day but won't be for awhile. My current fun budget is going in to picking up all the new Tyranid models I don't have and want to play with.

Carnifexes are stupid cheap army points wise now, for example, so I'm looking at having a kitten pile of carnies with no bells or whistles in the middle of my deployment zone as a huge, disposable distraction.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Yeah, how dare they multiply three fractions. What loving nerds.

I was being sincere you dick. It's awesome that these weighted models are so easily accessible.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Thundercloud posted:

I can't remember where I saw it done, but looted Goliaths looked great.

I've found a good one (youtube link).

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Eh, even if I could get spray primers to work I'm used to Gesso-brushing primer on now. I find I have more control with a brush than a can. Haven't made the leap into the world of air brushing yet. Might some day but won't be for awhile.

Cast off your sickness and be reborn.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Corrode posted:

Non-GW events - generally painted and you should be able to easily tell what it's meant to be, but doesn't really matter where it's from.
GW - should be all GW, hope that you catch the staff on a good day if you for example turn up to WHW with your Guard army with all Pig Iron heads

Yeah. A friend decided not to hit up a GW tournament because he's got the female Victorian Miniatures Guards(wo)men for nearly half his models and was worried he might look at somebody funny.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

gently caress that's gorgeous. Not paying 60 bucks for a trukk though :/

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

This is incredible.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Geoff Zahn posted:

How close to screaming skull is ushabti bone? Trying to decide if it would be good to pick up a can for my deathguard, but I'm using screaming skull as the base color.

Ushabti is a shade darker than Screaming Skull, it would make a decent base if you wanted to paint Screaming Skull over it tho.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I basically dont touch my airbrush now that I have a kid. I'm slipping in 20 minutes of painting here and there and its really hard to justify clean up in short bursts of painting.

I've used Deathguard green and zandri dust sprays and they are definitely better than the Army Painter sprays I've used (dragon red and another red which I forget). No fuss with setting up or cleaning up with a rattle can.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Sadistic Hamster posted:

Thanks a ton dude. I mostly played 2nd edition so figuring put all this stuff again has been a real chore. I had no idea what people were talking about in this thread for quite a while, all these renamed armies and poo poo.

There are a bunch of terrible people here like me that have played all the way through from 2nd to 8th, don't hesitate to ask if you have questions about what the hell has been going on.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I love how people have built and shared Excel calculators to figure out expected wounds vs MEQs and GEQs

Compared to what I do for Fantasy Football this is nothing.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Ork players have some of the best looking conversions.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Compared to what I do for Fantasy Football this is nothing.

Love your beer sheets and I'd donate more $'s to your charity for a good 40k model.

Here's a neat Drukhari one: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19PR09MaEcTEELLDEs3xU2REVrVG6YTTB/view

Zuul the Cat posted:

Ork players have some of the best looking conversions.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

adamantium|wang posted:

There are a bunch of terrible people here like me that have played all the way through from 2nd to 8th, don't hesitate to ask if you have questions about what the hell has been going on.

Would you summarize 8th Edition as a blend of 2nd and 3rd core rules with the codex creep of 4th?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
I'm liking the increasing rumbling about Prime Ork Ghazghul, be so damned cool if that box in june was octarius.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I've been bugging the 40k FB page about releasing a Triumvirate of the Waaagh! Box with Ghaz, Nazdreg, and Orkimedes. I'm honestly shocked they ever bothered to respond to my stupid posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

S.J. posted:

I've been bugging the 40k FB page about releasing a Triumvirate of the Waaagh! Box with Ghaz, NazdregYarrick, and Orkimedes. I'm honestly shocked they ever bothered to respond to my stupid posts.