Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The game is also really good, however

Actual story spoilers

not letting me pass until i'd committed the warcrime on the civvies was loving bullshit, i was looking at them the whole time thinking "wait a second, those aren't enemies" but nope, commit the murder or don't advance the plot, friend.

NOW FEEL BAD SEQUENCE, COME ON, DON'T YOU FEEL BAD?

Actually annoyed me a fair bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Samuringa posted:

The game is literally free
Acshually, I think you'll find it's virtually free.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I took the free Spec Ops and did what the story intended I should do: not play it.

(took it from humble, not the code in thread)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

dogstile posted:

Actual story spoilers

not letting me pass until i'd committed the warcrime on the civvies was loving bullshit, i was looking at them the whole time thinking "wait a second, those aren't enemies" but nope, commit the murder or don't advance the plot, friend.

It's not about you. It's about military shooters generally

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

corn in the bible posted:

It's not about you. It's about military shooters generally

You mean what the games trying to portray? I'm not so sure, you can ignore a lot of things in the game but that one sequence you definitely cannot.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Weren't you originally supposed to have the option to turn and report back after pretty much every main story beat?

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
You were. They took the option out because players were consistently USING it, and their intended moral kind of fell apart if the player wasn't a self-righteous bastard.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Here we go

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Backhand posted:

You were. They took the option out because players were consistently USING it, and their intended moral kind of fell apart if the player wasn't a self-righteous bastard.

You are still a good person.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Game isn't without problems, but it does a lot of stuff right. There are a lot of places that let you avoid the white phosphorous debacle when you seem forced into it all over again, but the game doesn't tell you, you need to think of it for yourself. You can shoot down the guys being hanged, you can fire above the crowd of civilians to scare them away, etc. Most of the time you're not forced into a bad choice, but you aren't being told PRESS A TO NOT EXECUTE CIVILIANS PRESS B TO GUN THEM DOWN. Requires a bit more problem solving.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

aniviron posted:

Game isn't without problems, but it does a lot of stuff right. There are a lot of places that let you avoid the white phosphorous debacle when you seem forced into it all over again, but the game doesn't tell you, you need to think of it for yourself. You can shoot down the guys being hanged, you can fire above the crowd of civilians to scare them away, etc. Most of the time you're not forced into a bad choice, but you aren't being told PRESS A TO NOT EXECUTE CIVILIANS PRESS B TO GUN THEM DOWN. Requires a bit more problem solving.

Doesn't matter if they got it right a million times. They went out of their way to reduce the player agency to 'do atrocity or have wasted your money/time/effort', even once. The player-hostile intent is clear.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Lewd oh, narrative dissonance.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Oh christ not this lovely argument again.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

You are still a good person

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Backhand posted:

Which is a weird thing, IMO. I know that by and large, looking at everyone who's bought a game, most people have a huge drop-off on even getting to chapter 3 in a game, but I can't imagine someone doing the 'Walker and co. retreated back to base' ending fifteen minutes into the game and then completely dropping it afterwards. For 60 bucks, I'd assume they'd still actually play the game normally.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

RareAcumen posted:

Which is a weird thing, IMO. I know that by and large, looking at everyone who's bought a game, most people have a huge drop-off on even getting to chapter 3 in a game, but I can't imagine someone doing the 'Walker and co. retreated back to base' ending fifteen minutes into the game and then completely dropping it afterwards. For 60 bucks, I'd assume they'd still actually play the game normally.

Yeah, exactly.

Far Cry 4 literally had an alternate ending if you stood still and did nothing for 15 minutes at the beginning of the game.

Far Cry 5 has one if you do nothing for SIXTY SECONDS at the beginning of the game.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

RareAcumen posted:

Demon’s Crest has extremely high return rates because people got the bad ending you can do in a couple minutes. If Capcom left that out, it’s probable we’d have seen more in that franchise.

A huge number of players never knew about the second castle in SotN.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Lone Goat posted:

Yeah, exactly.

Far Cry 4 literally had an alternate ending if you stood still and did nothing for 15 minutes at the beginning of the game.

Far Cry 5 has one if you do nothing for SIXTY SECONDS at the beginning of the game.

the issue with FC4's fake-out ending is that it was generally so good and satisfying that if someone got that one first they might not ever go forward with the game proper. that's what happened to me - i got asked to help move some furniture shortly after the game commenced, and i just left the game running while i shifted the weight. i got back just as pagan min was talking about the crab rangoon and got this kind of cool and very practical ending. i was like 'okay, neat', and then when i got about a quarter of the way through the main campaign it became really obvious that the fake-out was way better and more satisfying than anything else i was going to get from that game.

i still have almost no time on FC4 because i happened to find the good ending pretty early on and i was satisfied with it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I keep thinking all the new posts are about free games, and then I read it and get sad

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Node posted:

I keep thinking all the new posts are about free games, and then I read it and get sad

You want sad and free? Try This War of Mine. The developers just announced a sale and it's free to try out until sunday.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
If I wanted sad and free I'd just reminisce about my divorce

But I've been meaning to play that videogame yes

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

If you got out of a divorce for free there is no reason to be sad!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ZypherIM posted:

If you got out of a divorce for free there is no reason to be sad!

My coworker got her ex to pay for the entire process and ended up with their house. It's the best story of divorce I've ever heard.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

A significant number of people (including game industry people such as reviewers/journalists who really should know better) stopped playing NieR:Automata after getting ending A, despite the developers/publisher being quite candid about how you are supposed to keep playing afterwards :shrug:

Similarly, a smaller (but still significant) proportion of people who played Undertale stopped after only getting one of the neutral endings. For a lot of people, any ending is enough when it comes to games, even if it's pretty clearly not the intended one (or even really functional as an ending beyond the game saying "The End").

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

HebrewMagic posted:

If I wanted sad and free I'd just reminisce about my divorce

But I've been meaning to play that videogame yes

thread not strong enough for that powerful of a post/username joke

also spicy cops w/lime was cool until i couldn't crouch ever so i never made it past the prologue and uninstalled. some games don't age well and all console to PC ports are bad

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Killed By Death posted:

A significant number of people (including game industry people such as reviewers/journalists who really should know better) stopped playing NieR:Automata after getting ending A, despite the developers/publisher being quite candid about how you are supposed to keep playing afterwards :shrug:

Similarly, a smaller (but still significant) proportion of people who played Undertale stopped after only getting one of the neutral endings. For a lot of people, any ending is enough when it comes to games, even if it's pretty clearly not the intended one (or even really functional as an ending beyond the game saying "The End").

I'm sorry, but there's no easy way to say this: You're all idiots

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I played Zero Time Dilemma and in the first minute the Big Bad who abducted and incarcerated everyone let me flip a coin, and if i get it right, everyone goes free. Fifty-fifty chance to just be let go and not have to go through whatever he has planned. I'm assuming he was trying to make some kind of point.

I guessed right on the coin flip. Everyone was let out, and the game ended.

I shelved it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

So I guess the answer is that, no, they shouldn't have let people stop the game early, they were right.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

corn in the bible posted:

So I guess the answer is that, no, they shouldn't have let people stop the game early, they were right.

You were never a good person.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Killed By Death posted:

That's all fair enough, since that's like, a good five to seven hours of gameplay before people put it down as opposed to getting the secret ending in Far Cry 4 within twenty minutes and saying 'Yeah, that was worth 60 bucks' and never touching it again. 60 bucks is either a lot for that little game or not depending on who it is but it just seems a bit odd to me.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I definitely got to around halfway through far cry 4 and was like "why am i even joining these rebel assholes again".

The people you did missions for weren't likeable, imo.

aniviron posted:

I'll admit, i liked that some of this let you do that. It's just that one scene that bothered me.

Also play THIS WAR OF MINE and get ready for FROSTPUNK

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

dogstile posted:

Actual story spoilers

re Spec-Ops

You can shoot into the air, I think - you don't have to hurt them unless you choose to.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Danger - Octopus! posted:

re Spec-Ops

You can shoot into the air, I think - you don't have to hurt them unless you choose to.

You can shoot over the crowd of civilians, yeah, but you have no choice but to drop the white phosphorus on the crowd of people later(? don't remember the game timeline)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Crusader Kings 2 is free until Saturday at 10am Seattle Time, then 75%-off for the rest of the weekend.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The Kins posted:

Crusader Kings 2 is free until Saturday at 10am Seattle Time, then 75%-off for the rest of the weekend.

:frogsiren:

Came here to post this.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Kins posted:

They really should make the base game free. There’s so much DLC that it’s basically a paid demo at this point anyway, and it’s one of those games that you’ll either love or completely bounce off of. I’ve given it a bunch of tries and could never figure it out, even though it conceptually is extremely my kind of thing.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

They really should make the base game free.

I'm sure Paradox Interactive will get on that, right after the heat death of the universe.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

The Kins posted:

Free to try until Saturday or free if you download it during this timeframe? Need to figure out how to pitch it to my friends beyond "Incestuous Catholic Inbreeding Simulator".

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Donkringel posted:

Free to try until Saturday or free if you download it during this timeframe? Need to figure out how to pitch it to my friends beyond "Incestuous Catholic Inbreeding Simulator".

Free to keep if you download within the timeframe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Donkringel posted:

You can also kill your family members.