Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:peanut:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
I wonder where they’ll divide the story. After Paul drinks the water?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SmokaDustbowl posted:

BORN TO RULE
ARRAKIS IS A gently caress
Kill em all 21592
I am Fremen
410,757,864,530 DEAD HARKONEN

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Make sure to check out the last post of the last page in this bumped thread for :siren: important news :siren:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

WatermelonGun posted:

I wonder where they’ll divide the story. After Paul drinks the water?

Way too late in the story IMO. It's either going to be after Liet Kynes bites it or after Paul wins the knife fight.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

paul and mom flee into desert: end of movie one.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

BONGHITZ posted:

Worked for the book.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
Paul walks into the desert, liquid eyeball running down his cheeks. Roll credits.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BONGHITZ posted:

I think if it's not after the fremen fight, far fewer people will be hooked for part 2.

The whole tone of everything changes then

Angela Lansburial
Feb 9, 2005
Nothing to see here.
The entire first movie is paul growing up on caladan, getting lessons from gurney halleck.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Angela Lansburial posted:

The entire first movie is paul growing up on caladan, getting lessons from gurney halleck.

watchin duncan idaho drink idaho brand cola

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

The Bloop posted:

I think if it's not after the fremen fight, far fewer people will be hooked for part 2.

The whole tone of everything changes then
forget it, bloop, it's dune town! i'm riding this sandworm all the way to part 2!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BORN TO DIE

ARRAKIS IS A gently caress

KILL EM ALL 10,191 AG

I AM FRE MAN

410,757,864,530 DEAD SARDAUKAR

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
I read the GBS-Tolstoy thread(lol), and I've come to the conclusion that Tolstoy was a heavy influence on Herbert.

See: the dialectic essay-prose
See: the takedown of the great man
See: Odrade naming Tolstoy to a rando acolyte

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
Having reviewed GIS, I am of the firm opinion that Brian Herbert could take Christopher Tolkien in an actual physical fight.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
i'm up to children of dune now

i've also watched the dune miniseries, where the baron speaks in weird little rhymes. i liked the miniseries a lot, too

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Milky Moor posted:

i'm up to children of dune now

i've also watched the dune miniseries, where the baron speaks in weird little rhymes. i liked the miniseries a lot, too

I liked Children of Dune. I glanced at some clips of the CoD miniseries and thought it was pretty awful.
Some of the parts with Alia looked good, but most of it looked bad and didn't make me want to sit through the whole thing.

I'm about halfway through God Emperor of Dune and really enjoying it.
I plan to read the next two books after that and just stop.

Edit note: Clarifying which miniseries I was talking about.

Turmoil fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 10, 2018

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Turmoil posted:

I liked Children of Dune. I glanced at some clips of the miniseries and thought it was pretty awful.

the miniseries struck some of the same notes babylon 5 did for me, where it feels very much like a televised stage performance as opposed to something for television. the original miniseries was a fun watch, but i think it might've hewed a bit too closely to the book. i've heard that the children of miniseries is much better.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I liked the Dune miniseries a lot, though I haven’t seen it in at least 12 years, probably more. It stuck really close to the book in ways that hampered it but I found that kind of charming. It wasn’t making the best desicions but its fuckups were minor and done from a place of admiration and enthusiasm.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Milky Moor posted:

the miniseries struck some of the same notes babylon 5 did for me, where it feels very much like a televised stage performance as opposed to something for television. the original miniseries was a fun watch, but i think it might've hewed a bit too closely to the book. i've heard that the children of miniseries is much better.

It was Children of Dune that I was referring to.

I understand why they'd make the twins older, but things like Leto II just having a splatter of black latex on him and walking around in just pants seemed weird.
Not to mention his running effect that looked like it was from The Flash TV series from 1990.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I had been thinking about bumping this thread.

I found a pretty cool series on Dune Things called Ideas Of Ice and Fire. Given the name it should be obvious they talk about other stuff, but their dune videos are quite good.

None of it is anything other than a refresher if you've been through the books, except they include brian herbert/KJA lore as well, but never without first providing a heavy :siren:warning:siren:, which is neat enough.

Here's one of their videos, it's spoilery as gently caress if you haven't read the books, but otherwise it's a well narrated recap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NZiTVPXmNM

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Turmoil posted:

It was Children of Dune that I was referring to.

I understand why they'd make the twins older, but things like Leto II just having a splatter of black latex on him and walking around in just pants seemed weird.
Not to mention his running effect that looked like it was from The Flash TV series from 1990.

Just watch it. From my hazy memory it was a great time filled with performances from great actors. I think the costuming and production design was on point too.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
bum,p[

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

This should be *thump*

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Thanks i missed this thread

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Post without rhythm and you won't attract the mods.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
i've only read dune and I still keep up with this thread glad to see it is back sort of.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
maybe some day I will read the rest of the herbert books. I tried once but got bored like 1/3 through dune messiah.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Messiah takes a while to pick up but it pays off to keep reading it

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

basic hitler posted:

Messiah takes a while to pick up but it pays off to keep reading it

This is true

I still need to finish Children so I can get to God Emperor

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I linked it earlier but ideas of ice and fire has a really excellent series covering the first teo books so far. He usually does game of thrones stuff but his dune work has been far more popular than he expected and he does a killer job of narrating the story and going over various themes and obscure lore. A couple of days ago he released one about planet earth in the dune universe and he's absolutely entertaining to watch yall should really check him out

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Milky Moor posted:

This is true

I still need to finish Children so I can get to God Emperor

I stopped at God Emperor and felt it was a decent ending to the story. One day I'll finish chapterhouse/heretics/hunters but IDK when.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i find some of the themes of Heretics to be deeply uncomfortable but it's basically an entirely new story set in the same universe, the only "constant" is a duncan ghola and miles teg who looks suspiciously like paul's father so you gain and lose nothing by ignoring them. some of the "flavor" lore of heretics/chapterhouse is really cool though.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Another thing about heretics and chapterhouse is that universe became much more boring past Leto II. I get that it was his intention but doesnt make an interesting setting.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Sekenr posted:

Another thing about heretics and chapterhouse is that universe became much more boring past Leto II. I get that it was his intention but doesnt make an interesting setting.

I thought the whole point was that the universe became less boring and predictable? That was his intention for humanity at large.

The Old Imperium where the stories are set seem a bit boring, almost like they returned to an older age despite some important advances in technology.

But I always understood part of the point to be that the boring old imperium, that hasn’t changed much, was just some bubble of stability and about to get its poo poo kicked in by the Honored Matres and the Scattering Tleilaxu and all other groups out there and it was adapt and evolve or die.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Currently reading messiah and it was slow at first but it's picking up, a good read

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

T.S. Smelliot posted:

Currently reading messiah and it was slow at first but it's picking up, a good read

You’re in luck too because the general opinion in this thread seems to be that that’s the worst of the bunch except for those tasteless heretics that don’t like the ones after God Emperor, so if you like that one, you’ll only enjoy the series more as you go on.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
The thing with Dune is that they all feel like different books. Heretics/Chapterhouse are so much later and they only feel at home because he constantly uses the lingo from earlier books. Prana bindu, spice trance, ghola, etc. Like, if you read them in reverse you'd go "wtf is this fruitcake talking about?" But I still like the later stuff because it's not as *epic* but still canonically sensible.

T.S. Smelliot posted:

It's really good and it's a nice departure from the seemingly Arthurian story in the first book imo

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

phasmid posted:

The thing with Dune is that they all feel like different books. Heretics/Chapterhouse are so much later and they only feel at home because he constantly uses the lingo from earlier books. Prana bindu, spice trance, ghola, etc. Like, if you read them in reverse you'd go "wtf is this fruitcake talking about?" But I still like the later stuff because it's not as *epic* but still canonically sensible.

It's really good and it's a nice departure from the seemingly Arthurian story in the first book imo

Messiah delivers on the real point of Paul’s story, which is the whole “A hero is damaging, a messiah is catastrophic”. Reading the first book on its own is like stopping 2/3rds of the way through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Messiah delivers on the real point of Paul’s story, which is the whole “A hero is damaging, a messiah is catastrophic”. Reading the first book on its own is like stopping 2/3rds of the way through.

Agreed