Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop
Nthing that skyrim vr is good, also the console still works so yay no weight limit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Phenotype posted:

e: also I was very happy to find out I don't seem to get VR sick at all! The only thing that got to me a little was that jump off the ledge in Superhot. Am I close to the end, by the way? I just finished the plane hijack, and I really want to show it off to some folks but I think the spot I'm at is pretty bad for a first go.

If you finish the game Superhot will have an option to replay all the levels in any order, but there's no option just play again from the beginning, continuously, like the first time. I always found that really annoying and my solution to this has been, when I want to show the game to guests, to just delete the save file so it starts from the beginning. I guess you could do that as well, though it is pretty clunky.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

eonblue174 posted:

Nthing that skyrim vr is good, also the console still works so yay no weight limit!

I'm hating hearing this. I keep saying "No, 47 still isnt cheap enough, Not again".

But here we are, Another drat person saying "good game!"

I have a feeling by tonight I'm going to own this loving thing. Just scared its gonna end up backlog that I never touch because I didnt enjoy skyrim.

BUT. When I say that, I said the same thing about fallout 4. Then VR came out, and while It was a poo poo show for rift, I really really enjoyed the time in it that DID work, minus all the menu fuckary.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

If you didn't like Skyrim I don't see why you would like it in VR. Yeah the combat is way better but it's still the same game.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I'm uncertain about Skyrim VR, less about its quality as a VR port and more about my preferences for playing a game as expansive as that in VR.

Most of that is probably that I like to watch TV in the background, or have a Twitch stream running, and sit down and relax and not be standing and such. VR isolates you, and the movement isn't quite my thing.

I'll keep giving it a shot, especially since it appears SSE and VR saves could be entirely cross-compatible, but I don't think I'll do most of my Skyrim time in VR.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
What's the cheapest way to get Skyrim VR? Isthereanydeal says the lowest is $51 but I thought somebody said it's $47.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Sky Shadowing posted:

I'm uncertain about Skyrim VR, less about its quality as a VR port and more about my preferences for playing a game as expansive as that in VR.

Most of that is probably that I like to watch TV in the background, or have a Twitch stream running, and sit down and relax and not be standing and such. VR isolates you, and the movement isn't quite my thing.

I'll keep giving it a shot, especially since it appears SSE and VR saves could be entirely cross-compatible, but I don't think I'll do most of my Skyrim time in VR.

It's very playable sitting.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

OctaviusBeaver posted:

What's the cheapest way to get Skyrim VR? Isthereanydeal says the lowest is $51 but I thought somebody said it's $47.

Greenmangaming with a coupon I think.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Yeah, Green Man Gaming with the coupon PAYDAY20.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Sky Shadowing posted:

This for me is why Fallout 4s world ended up grabbing me.
This makes me feel like I'll end up enjoying it.

bobfather posted:

Greenmangaming with a coupon I think.

Yeah PAYDAY20 or whatever is still active. 47.99

Republicans posted:

If you didn't like Skyrim I don't see why you would like it in VR. Yeah the combat is way better but it's still the same game.

I enjoyed Morrowind.

I liked Fallout 4s world and stuff IN VR but not flatscreen.

I'm going to waste 48 dollars I think, But thank you for trying to stop me. Worst case, it'll be a fun stream. Still havent pulled the trigger but I'm sure I will tonight if that coupon don't die before then.

Gonna eat and debate one last time.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Oh boy, walking in place while playing Skyrim VR and trying to keep pace with your footsteps in game is fun. There's no way I'm going to continue playing like this, but it's pretty entertaining trying to get to the greybeards while literally fast walking in place

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Tried a crossbow mod and surprise surprise the bolts don't fire anywhere close to where you're aiming. :(

Sky Shadowing posted:

You can play seated.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Sky Shadowing posted:

The new Rift Home thing will have the ability to pull browser windows into the world with you so you can enjoy Fantasy Land with your stream from xX420PuBGBlaZEr420Xx yelling profanities in your ear

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Songbearer posted:

The new Rift Home thing will have the ability to pull browser windows into the world with you so you can enjoy Fantasy Land with your stream from xX420PuBGBlaZEr420Xx yelling profanities in your ear

You can do that now. Opt in. It’s fab. Makes seeing chat doable in an oculus game without openvr tools. Super nice.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

EbolaIvory posted:

You can do that now. Opt in. It’s fab. Makes seeing chat doable in an oculus game without openvr tools. Super nice.

Is that in the public test channel? The Rift Core 2.0 thing lets me grab windows into their own thing, but it goes away in game.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Is that in the public test channel? The Rift Core 2.0 thing lets me grab windows into their own thing, but it goes away in game.

Click the little pin icon on the bottom right of the window

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Republicans posted:

Tried a crossbow mod and surprise surprise the bolts don't fire anywhere close to where you're aiming. :(

You can play seated.

How, I tried it and it felt like I was at Hadvar's chest-level?

And yeah I've used the pin windows stuff in Elite Dangerous, so I know about all that. It's more for Skyrim that I like watching wrestling and stuff with it on, and that's harder to do in VR, especially when I pay for cable.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lemming posted:

Click the little pin icon on the bottom right of the window

Ever since 2.0 came out in beta I've seen a good number of people not realize this. They should really make it more obvious, and larger somewhere. Sometimes those little buttons can be difficult to point at.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Sky Shadowing posted:

How, I tried it and it felt like I was at Hadvar's chest-level?
Crank up the height option in settings and if that's not enough there's a console/INI setting for it I believe.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
After spending the past two nights modding, I got my 60 mod load order working (though I had to load an SE savegame because the in-engine startup menu fucks up Alternate Start) and so far things are peachy... except when I hit the grip button on my right wand, everything goes dark and I have to force quit the game. :allears: They really did nail the Skyrim experience.

Is that the snap turn button? (And how can I rebind that poo poo?)

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

EbolaIvory posted:

Holy poo poo. Just did it and why aren't more people talking about this? Running around in Skyrim with a video playing up in the sky is loving awesome.

The Oculus home stuff seems really cool too but man being able to do all this poo poo without leaving VR is pretty special.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I didn't realize it was possible to use a gamepad in Skyrim, that makes things much easier, if I ever feel like sitting it'll be just like 3d tv.

It's winning me over.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Sky Shadowing posted:

I didn't realize it was possible to use a gamepad in Skyrim, that makes things much easier, if I ever feel like sitting it'll be just like 3d tv.

It's winning me over.
So I'm trying to give the controller a whirl (a wireless Xbone controller) but everytime I hit either Start or Select they not only bring up the Skyrim menus but the loving Steam interface too. Did you have to do anything to fix that up?

Edit: Kinda got it working but completely disabling the Steam overlay and VR dashboard but that seems a little hacky :)

Less Fat Luke fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 4, 2018

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop

Kraven Moorhed posted:

After spending the past two nights modding, I got my 60 mod load order working (though I had to load an SE savegame because the in-engine startup menu fucks up Alternate Start) and so far things are peachy... except when I hit the grip button on my right wand, everything goes dark and I have to force quit the game. :allears: They really did nail the Skyrim experience.

Is that the snap turn button? (And how can I rebind that poo poo?)

It's the shout button so maybe you have an uncooperative shout equipped. I'm starting from zero and so far fus and the dash shout work fine.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Less Fat Luke posted:

So I'm trying to give the controller a whirl (a wireless Xbone controller) but everytime I hit either Start or Select they not only bring up the Skyrim menus but the loving Steam interface too. Did you have to do anything to fix that up?

Edit: Kinda got it working but completely disabling the Steam overlay and VR dashboard but that seems a little hacky :)

Are you playing on Rift? Normally, the xbox button brings up the steam interface. With a Rift, that changes to the back button, annoyingly. You can't change it, because why make SteamVR configurable?

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Phenotype posted:

e: also I was very happy to find out I don't seem to get VR sick at all! The only thing that got to me a little was that jump off the ledge in Superhot. Am I close to the end, by the way? I just finished the plane hijack, and I really want to show it off to some folks but I think the spot I'm at is pretty bad for a first go.

Superhot has a specific demo mode that's short and made for parties and getting people to try it out in spurts.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Cojawfee posted:

Are you playing on Rift? Normally, the xbox button brings up the steam interface. With a Rift, that changes to the back button, annoyingly. You can't change it, because why make SteamVR configurable?
Nah the Vive. It seems the Guide button and the two menu buttons all bring up the Steam UI, haha.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Songbearer posted:

Holy poo poo. Just did it and why aren't more people talking about this? Running around in Skyrim with a video playing up in the sky is loving awesome.

The Oculus home stuff seems really cool too but man being able to do all this poo poo without leaving VR is pretty special.

Yeah dash is insane. People just don't realize it.

I don't talk a lot about it because I only use it if I have to. I have other tools for MOST of the stuff I do in VR (unless im in oculus sdk games, then dash saves the day)but dragging windows out live is so nice. Pull up a guide for stuff like minecraft for vivecraft, yeah. its pretty cool.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

EbolaIvory posted:

Yeah dash is insane. People just don't realize it.

I don't talk a lot about it because I only use it if I have to. I have other tools for MOST of the stuff I do in VR (unless im in oculus sdk games, then dash saves the day)but dragging windows out live is so nice. Pull up a guide for stuff like minecraft for vivecraft, yeah. its pretty cool.

It's so good. I really hope Valve has been working on something similar for Vive folks.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Enos Cabell posted:

I really hope Valve has been working

I'm gonna stop you right there

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

At least there are third party tools to do it in SteamVR

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lemming posted:

I'm gonna stop you right there

Well they did recently add an ASW like reprojection option for the microsoft headsets so they're doing something at elast... though I'm not sure why they didn't release it for the Vive at the same time.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

homeless snail posted:

At least there are third party tools to do it in SteamVR

Like what?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
lol Bethesda strikes again

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

OVRDrop is the most powerful one, but also its not as easy to use as as the Oculus system, you have to configure it. Virtual Desktop replaces the stock SteamVR desktop tab in the dashboard and you can drag it out into a compositor overlay. It mirrors your whole desktop though not just individual windows.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

Well they did recently add an ASW like reprojection option for the microsoft headsets so they're doing something at elast... though I'm not sure why they didn't release it for the Vive at the same time.

Nope, that was Microsoft who developed it, it's added to their SteamVR for Windows MR wrapper.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lemming posted:

Nope, that was Microsoft who developed it, it's added to their SteamVR for Windows MR wrapper.

Welp

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Cojawfee posted:

lol Bethesda strikes again

I had to restart the game 3 times?

First 3 or so times the "horse thief" fell off the cart so the end of the scene never triggers.

I then got the "menu bug" when you disable AA or whatever, and turn down the stupid FOV thing, it dispears. ALL the menus, Even the main menu. Welp, had to reset the ini file.

After that. Its been better. I got to play an hour. I'm having more fun than I did with normal Skyrim though. So thats good.

Its buggy. Thats for sure.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If this were a free DLC or a cheap addon to normal skyrim, that would be one thing. I can't believe they are charging 60 dollars for these games when they aren't even bothering to implement basic VR features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Because, as shown, people will buy them.