Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

why do they call them hermit crabs if they party so drat hard?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Mak0rz posted:

why do they call them hermit crabs if they party so drat hard?

They don't party, they play a deadly game of musical chairs

If you see two together, there is a slight chance that they are mating.

Otherwise (and if you see more than two together) it's "I like your house, so get the gently caress out of that" which can often leave one of them without a house, which also means nearly certain death.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

I'm a big fan of king crabs. I would like to eat one but I never have :(

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

As crab meat goes you are not really missing much. Its biggest pro is how large they are. Otherwise they are tougher and saltier than dungys.

Hope that makes you feel better.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

All crabbies are friends.

That being said many are yummy for tummies. King Crab is delicious, not the best crab out there, but crab in general is loving incredible. We're talking A vs A+ here.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

Never had dungeness either. I'm UK based. Brown crab (and some blue crab when I visited Maryland which was great) is literally the extent of my crab consumption experience. I am sad about this

A CRAB IRL fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 3, 2018

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
From WA and would highly recommend Dungeness if you ever get a chance (fun fact: it’s named after a town in the state)

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

http://prostheticknowledge.tumblr.com/post/172494972451/toco-toco-aki-inomata-artist-new-season-of

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

fruit on the bottom posted:

From WA and would highly recommend Dungeness if you ever get a chance (fun fact: it’s named after a town in the state)

Reds have better claw meat but smaller legs and body segments. I can not tell a difference in flavor. Both are superior to blues and Florida stone.

This hill I will stand on.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

AKI INOMATA is contemporary artist whose universe revolves around creating original works with animals and living creatures. Some of her most distinctive work includes building original “shelter” art pieces for hermit crabs or creating pieces of material from clothes to give them to bagworms.

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Please pay in exact change.
I feel like I showed up way too late to this thread, and I don't know how I will ever redeem myself.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I literally just started posting, and I’m not even a crab. You’re among friends

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Uh, I mean I am a crab. Haha snip snip

Yup. Crab 🦀.

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tb81b4Jb9c

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Mudcrab Merchant posted:

I feel like I showed up way too late to this thread, and I don't know how I will ever redeem myself.

WELCOME.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Welp, I'm sold

naem
May 29, 2011

bradzilla posted:

Welp, I'm sold

It's the little teeny one at the end :3:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Greetings, fellow crab enthusiasts!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mudcrab Merchant posted:

Welcome! Huge fan dude. You're like my favorite arthropod to scam several hundred thousand dollars from on a daily basis!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

crab thread

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

Welcome! Huge fan dude. You're like my favorite arthropod to scam several hundred thousand dollars from on a daily basis!

The maximum you can scam from me is 10,000g every 24hrs, and its only out of love and drunkenness that I pay full price for your crap.

How dry I am... how dry I am... nobody knows... how dry I am....

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

Would you like to buy every piece of garbage I've picked up from every mushroom and every barrel and crate for the past 24 hours for some god-drat reason

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

In other news - I think it is safe to say I am a pretty big fan of crabs and tbh all decapods

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
whats a good source for hot cheap crabs for my salt water aquarium?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i dunno man ask your mother! ahahahahha (just joking!)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
my mom died when she was buying that aquarium for my birthday, thanks

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

SniperWoreConverse posted:

whats a good source for hot cheap crabs for my salt water aquarium?

mr. ash more's crab emporium

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

SniperWoreConverse posted:

my mom died when she was buying that aquarium for my birthday, thanks

yw

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

My coworkers were crabby this morning and not the good kind of crabby :(

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

LingcodKilla posted:

Reds have better claw meat but smaller legs and body segments. I can not tell a difference in flavor. Both are superior to blues and Florida stone.

Blue crab from the Chesapeake is the king of crab flavor. Just salty enough, but with an amazing sweetness. I’m really glad that their population is sprinting back; years of overfishing and algae blooms from farms in the water basin had reduced their numbers significantly. It may be partially in the cooking - crab should never be boiled, it should be steamed in beer and water while coated with old bay*.

Everyone obsesses over snow or king crab, but here I am living in Alaska and I’m planning to have a bushel or two of steamed Maryland blue crab this summer while my kids are up. Just get all the neighbors together to drink beers and eat some claw boys. Even in death, crabs are a social creature that want us to make friends.

*My wife has a recipe for baking crab that’s amazing. Depending on how many you’re feeding, get a pound or two of snow crab legs, a pound or two of shrimp, a few potatoes, some ears of sweet corn, a clove or two of garlic and one or two lemons. Dump the crab and shrimp in a disposable foil baking tray. Cut the potatoes into thick 1” chunks, halve the corn, and boil for about 10 minutes before adding it to the tray. Roughly chop the garlic and sprinkle it throughout. Slice your lemon into 1/4” slices, squeeze the juice over the mix and place the slices over top. Finally, liberally coat the entire thing with a ton of Old Bay seasoning.

Wrap foil over the top, score a few times and broil it for about 20-30 minutes. Set on the middle of the table, give everyone a plate and a nutcracker (if they need it; your teeth and fingers will do) and go to town.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Related, but none of us love crabs like this man.

https://youtu.be/F-NivBCstgU

I grew up eating these dudes and I still can’t fathom eating the gut or the face. But he will show you how to get EVERY bit of meat out of one, except for the massive claw forearm he just throws away at the start. Dude, that’s good eating.

(The fat or ‘mustard’ in the corners of the shell is delicious though, he’s right.)

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
Lol the thirsty girls in the comments after that licking and sucking.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Wild T posted:

Related, but none of us love crabs like this man.

https://youtu.be/F-NivBCstgU

I grew up eating these dudes and I still can’t fathom eating the gut or the face. But he will show you how to get EVERY bit of meat out of one, except for the massive claw forearm he just throws away at the start. Dude, that’s good eating.

(The fat or ‘mustard’ in the corners of the shell is delicious though, he’s right.)

That’s where the neurotoxins with incredibly long life gets focused. Eating crab guts is risky.

I’m about to live in DC for 4 months. Gonna be close to the water so I hope I can crab for the locals.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

LingcodKilla posted:

I want to fight you on this because stone crabs are loving delicious, but I do seriously miss dungeness crab

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Well *I* only read the New Yorker and eat Fancy Feast.
yall a bunch of scrubs. King crab is king for a reason :smuggo:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

"ghengis crab"

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

I need some hot updates on posters crabby friends STAT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Well *I* only read the New Yorker and eat Fancy Feast.
I know I’ve been slacking majorly! Life has been pretty heavy lately, but I’ll do my best to get something posted this weekend. It also doesn’t help that pretty much all my hermits decided to molt at once, or at least bury themselves indefinitely.

Unfortunately, I’m going to be off the radar for about a month starting on 4/10, so I have faith that crab crew will stay snippy while I’m away.