Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Douglas Palmer filed FOIA requests with the CIA for some of the in-house board games it uses for training exercises.

He's received two sets of files back for:
* Kingpin: The Hunt for El Chapo
* Collection

He's still waiting on files for:
* Afghanistan Sustainability: COIN Dynamics
* Collection Deck

The boards, mechanics, and rule-sets can be found here in case this is of interest to anyone:
https://www.muckrock.com/accounts/profile/calidoug/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
Looks like super light weight gamey trash, CIA should play OCS instead

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

Douglas Palmer filed FOIA requests with the CIA for some of the in-house board games it uses for training exercises.

He's received two sets of files back for:
* Kingpin: The Hunt for El Chapo
* Collection

He's still waiting on files for:
* Afghanistan Sustainability: COIN Dynamics
* Collection Deck

The boards, mechanics, and rule-sets can be found here in case this is of interest to anyone:
https://www.muckrock.com/accounts/profile/calidoug/

I looked at the Kingpin files. It would be an extra challenge to re-create the production copy seen in some press photos, since all the actual game bits are photocopies-of-photocopies-of-photocopies (and also often reduced), and most of the instructions seem to be scrawled notes.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

homullus posted:

I looked at the Kingpin files. It would be an extra challenge to re-create the production copy seen in some press photos, since all the actual game bits are photocopies-of-photocopies-of-photocopies (and also often reduced), and most of the instructions seem to be scrawled notes.

I read that this guy made clean copies and brought them to sxsw to play

maybe the clean files will show up on bgg someday

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It just means someone will have to recreate their own, hopefully with a Phil Eklund style Dr. Bronner rear end aesthetic with rainbow colored real photos.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Hm I wonder if there's any good games on Antietam, since I just visited there recently...

Oh, In Their Quiet Fields seems to be regarded as the best, let's take a look:

holy fuckin :2bong: :catdrugs: :shroom:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

COOL CORN posted:

Hm I wonder if there's any good games on Antietam, since I just visited there recently...

Whoa I actually love that look and I don't know why.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I still have None But Heroes from MMP, which I've played a total of 0 times after clipping. I think the system looks alright, although a bit woolly in places (especially the order system, where you kind of have to meta-game the game a bit, although I think it's understandable considering how CoC worked in the ACW).

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah the command system of the CWB/RSS systems looks interesting. I think it might help with solo play because you’re kind of locked in to a plan and you just have to see how it plays out on the board.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

This was rereleased a few years ago, rebranded as Terraforming Mars.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yikes, Calandale got scammed by a moving company and might be losing all his games.

His rant video about it is just a minefield of red flags along the way, but poor guy didn't notice a one of them.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

COOL CORN posted:

Yikes, Calandale got scammed by a moving company and might be losing all his games.

His rant video about it is just a minefield of red flags along the way, but poor guy didn't notice a one of them.

Huh?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

There's even a help calandale thread on bgg.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

He's moving from Arizona to Oregon (I think), found the absolute lowest bidder for moving his boxes of games, they asked for a down payment in cash (red flag), showed up in an unmarked van with the name written on paper and taped on the side (red flag), gave him the final price AFTER packing which was double what they quoted him (red flag), and required payment fully in cash or money order (red flag).

So now they're holding all his games until he pays up, which I guess he'll be able to do with the help of Youtube/BGG, but still... yikes.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
:lol:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Icing on that cake: there's a part in the video where he says, "I mean, yeah, this was all probably in the fine print somewhere on the contract, but it was like 20 pages so I didn't read it"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

Icing on that cake: there's a part in the video where he says, "I mean, yeah, this was all probably in the fine print somewhere on the contract, but it was like 20 pages so I didn't read it"

And he dares to call himself a grognard?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
dude with what appears to be a healthy amount of the 'tism got a quote to move some stuff and the actual charge ended up being a few hundred dollars more

dude is incapable of dealing and has a meltdown

the batsignal goes off because boardgames are involved

homeschooling appears in the thread because of course

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

dude with what appears to be a healthy amount of the 'tism got a quote to move some stuff and the actual charge ended up being a few hundred dollars more

dude is incapable of dealing and has a meltdown

the batsignal goes off because boardgames are involved

homeschooling appears in the thread because of course

Nah if it was the way he told it those kinds of movers are absolute scammers and his stuff is probably already water-damaged.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yelp/BBB reviews seem to confirm that the movers are prime scammers/routinely underquote then hold stuff hostage.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Thats gotta be a huge blow. Poor guy. Ogling his collection when he pans around always made me jealous.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I'm not quite ready to declare Pendragon to be the COIN shark jump, but some of its innovations seem wrong-headed to me, or at least poorly implemented. There's too much dice rolling. The majority of events seem worse than taking a command+ feat, yet a few events are game-changing. The Civs and raiders mostly seem to just repeat the same cycle of actions. It's weird that Dux need to do poorly for the game state to switch to Autonomy, which then makes victory much easier for them to obtain? The expanded player aids are great, but the fact that they're so necessary isn't. This is the first COIN that I feel like I'm not really enjoying while I'm playing it.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Do you guys know if there are any OCS games rumored or in the development pipeline? Wondering what the settings might be.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Do you guys know if there are any OCS games rumored or in the development pipeline? Wondering what the settings might be.
What, apart from the known ones like Smolensk, Third Winter and Hungarian Rhapsody? tomdidiot says the following are in the pipeline:

OCS Smolensk
OCS Hungarian Rhapsody
OCS The THird Winter (Hube's Pocket II?)
OCS The Forgotten Battles
OCS Normandy (potentially announced)
and finally the oft rumoured OCS Italy.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 1, 2018

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Tekopo posted:

What, apart from the known ones like Smolensk, Third Winter and Hungarian Rhapsody? tomdidiot says the following are in the pipeline:

OCS Smolensk
OCS Hungarian Rhapsody
OCS The THird Winter (Hube's Pocket II?)
OCS The Forgotten Battles
OCS Normandy (potentially announced)
and finally the oft rumoured OCS Italy.

Thanks!

(I thought Italy was already out, but I guess not)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Thanks!

Sicily is out :mil101:

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Thanks!

There’s also a Crimea one with significant work being done. And preliminary exploratory work on Kursk.

The ones that are confirmed and having significant work done on them are the Ostfront ones; Smolensk is going for print, Hungarian Rhapsody is up next, And the other three have active playtesting going on at cons, with Third Winter and Crimea considerably further along than Forgotten Battles. Kursk is up next after Hungarian Rhapsody goes to print. Normandy just seems to be a map at this stage, and Italy seems to be scenarios and a concept in Tony Z’s mind.

Tbh there really isn’t much WW2 left to do that’s not Ostfront (assuming they’re not willing to try PTO in China). We still have some Kiev, Leningrad, Bagration, Berlin, maybe a more detailed look at Rzhev..

One thing that could be nice is a Burma expansion that covers Slim’s drive to Mandalay and Meitkina. I’m not sure how fun it would be for the Japanese player though.

But if you’re looking for more Westfront after Normandy and Italy, were reduced to hypotheticals like Sealion... and I definitely feel that would be OCS finally jumping the shark.

tomdidiot fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 1, 2018

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

tomdidiot posted:

But if you’re looking for more Westfront after Normandy and Italy, were reduced to hypotheticals like Sealion... and I definitely feel that would be OCS finally jumping the shark.

I know I’m in the minority, but I’m all about sandboxes and alt-history, so I say bring it on!

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Fields of Fire 2nd edition is 37 bux Ding and Dent on coolstuffinc :D

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Banana Man posted:

Buy it it's good. Also I just put up turn 2 of mission 2 on my youtube channel.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

COOL CORN posted:

Buy it it's good. Also I just put up turn 2 of mission 2 on my youtube channel.

Link for the lazy?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Ilor posted:

Link for the lazy?

Here's the channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsgmc-RAUlUiKEPBa6ULP8Q

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Banana Man posted:

dang, they've got great prices on their regular stuff too.

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender
Gonna play Triumph and Tragedy for the first time on Thursday. Any beginner tips or things we should generally be aware of?

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Played Space Empires 4X this weekend. Last weekend's game accidentally had a 3rd player so we switched to Mage Knight.

I had to teach it so we played the small map and only the basic rules, but even that still makes for interesting choices. My opponent's scouts found Danger! and I was able to punch around the left edge to get into his space. He tried intercepting 1 scout with 1 destroyer to ill effect. My scouts wouldn't hit his colonies but they sure could blockade. Eventually he cleared them out with a CA and sent it after my forward colony, but ran into a Base. A scout and DD harassed him some on the far right border as well, though I was successfully bluffed by decoys. My next wave was 4 upgraded scouts - they showed that numbers are good before ships are fully upgraded, as they demolished a +1/+1 BC and then fired on colonies again. I was planning to take one shot at his homeworld but the overall economic effect had been too severe and he conceded. Enjoyed the game and wants to play again, at least!

Still trying to figure out how to store base + CE + Replicators. I have a base-only set in one box, and putting a full set for each player in a counter tray, but those will make it hard to store the cards or hexes in the other boxes. Probably using my spare GMT white box.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Did you/have you tried the expansions?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I chopped two GMT trays in half so each player has a half tray and bagged the rest, stored it all in the base + CE boxes. I haven't touched replicators, but you might be stuck with a two box solution. Hopefully it won't need to be three.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey a friend of my dad's is talking about getting his kids into wargaming as they grow up (3 kids 9-6) but the most recent games my dad knows of are like 70s AH stuff like Third Reich, and I kind of dived into modern wargaming at a higher level. What would you guys recommend for younger kids in wargaming? Command and Colors is the one I'd think of (I've only played Memoir 44 and it was okay but simple and I thought it was too much of a bastardization of Napoleonics mechanics)

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Sleekly posted:

Did you/have you tried the expansions?

I've played with most of CE over VASSAL, and used the Empire Advantages / Alien Techs with otherwise base games (even printed a set of those before I found a copy of CE). When teaching a new player the EAs/ATs are the absolute limit and I usually do not use them and just stick to regular ships (not even Fighter/Raider/Mines, the tech and accounting is enough for a first game). Alien Techs in particular are essential, I feel if playing with non-player aliens guarding the barren worlds you really need them to make Terraforming worthwhile.

Haven't played anything from Replicators yet.

Lord Frisk posted:

I chopped two GMT trays in half so each player has a half tray and bagged the rest, stored it all in the base + CE boxes. I haven't touched replicators, but you might be stuck with a two box solution. Hopefully it won't need to be three.

A half tray for each player with the expansion? Even putting two types in many of the compartments I ended up using a full one .. I guess if I bagged the home space counters and civilian ships that might work. Although the times I've cut trays the lids haven't worked properly afterwards.

I'm currently thinking it will be the CE/Replicator boxes + a card box or something for cards + hex tiles. Alternately, perhaps like 3 trays in one box and 2 trays + cards/hexes/pads/etc. in the 3" white box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

StashAugustine posted:

Hey a friend of my dad's is talking about getting his kids into wargaming as they grow up (3 kids 9-6) but the most recent games my dad knows of are like 70s AH stuff like Third Reich, and I kind of dived into modern wargaming at a higher level. What would you guys recommend for younger kids in wargaming? Command and Colors is the one I'd think of (I've only played Memoir 44 and it was okay but simple and I thought it was too much of a bastardization of Napoleonics mechanics)