Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Charles posted:

It's bigger but gets better mileage than any previous model, if that's any comfort.

If I cared about fuel costs, I wouldn't have bought a turbocharged car that uses premium. It just feels like Subaru is sucking all of the fun out of their lineup.

Edit: Jesus, Christ, it's snowing outside. I was going to flop the tires today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Well Subaru started their claim in the US to fame filling an obscure niche in the market. Problem with that is there is no business model stability. Once you have established revenue the first thing you want to do is widen your market. They're only trying to appeal to everyone which is basically building a Camry and gaggle of SUVs.

The good news is that the WRX and STI sell well enough that they aren't going anywhere for a while.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is X Mode just modulating throttle input, turning up traction control to 11, and keeping the revs in the torque? Or is there really some kind of fake low range "gearing" going on?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Isn't one of subaru's problems that they basically build all the cars they can physically build? It then makes sense to see the cars that move the fastest and simplify the lane by only having one drive train option.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
they picked the worst one if thats what they are doing, if you want a subaru internationally you are gunna be forced into a cvt because americans can't drive manual, which really sucks

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Looks like I need to replace my shocks on my 13 Forester. Never had to do that at 120k already, but here we are. Any reason to pony up for anything other than OEM? Aftermarket is hilariously expensive from what I've looked up since a half inch of lowering wouldn't suck... But its about 3 times as much as some OEM shocks I found so that's going to win unless I'm missing something.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Where are you looking for shocks?

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

Wrar posted:

Where are you looking for shocks?

Been mostly just starting with Google searches and eBay so far. Looks like what I find want really OEM after digging, but how bad of an idea is buying an unspecified set of strut assemblies like this for much cheaper than others I can find?
https://www.1aauto.com/2009-13-subaru-forester-strut-and-spring-assembly/i/1assp01646?f=1158599&y=2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

PabloBOOM posted:

Been mostly just starting with Google searches and eBay so far. Looks like what I find want really OEM after digging, but how bad of an idea is buying an unspecified set of strut assemblies like this for much cheaper than others I can find?
https://www.1aauto.com/2009-13-subaru-forester-strut-and-spring-assembly/i/1assp01646?f=1158599&y=2013

I've had good luck with going on RockAuto, picking out a set of KYBs, and then searching around using those part numbers. Sometimes Amazon has a really good price on them, most times RockAuto works out the best.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Slim pickings on rockauto. Do I remember right that Monroe is... Decent? Though they only have front and then econo rears https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/subaru,2013,forester,2.5l+h4,1504975,suspension,strut+/+coil+spring+/+mount+assembly,15174

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
KYB Excel G or Cusco touring A are about the only aftermarket struts I'd use that are available for the forester. Cuscos are a little pricey though at like $800 a set. KYBs (very similar to oem, I think are under $300 a set). You do not need a complete assembly with springs and all that, just the shocks themselves.

e- that's pretty good for that complete, assembled set though, I wonder what the shocks are like. A friend of mine with an impreza wants her car higher and I'm considering doing the whole forester or crosstrek conversion with the subframe spacers and all. $300 for assembled suspension is pretty good.

jamal fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 4, 2018

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is that even worth it vs just trading the Impreza in on a similar age/miles Crosstrek? I mean, the Crosstrek has a couple of differences over the Impreza other than height - I think gearing and something is stiffer/reinforced, iirc.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

jamal posted:

KYB Excel G or Cusco touring A are about the only aftermarket struts I'd use that are available for the forester. Cuscos are a little pricey though at like $800 a set. KYBs (very similar to oem, I think are under $300 a set). You do not need a complete assembly with springs and all that, just the shocks themselves.

e- that's pretty good for that complete, assembled set though, I wonder what the shocks are like. A friend of mine with an impreza wants her car higher and I'm considering doing the whole forester or crosstrek conversion with the subframe spacers and all. $300 for assembled suspension is pretty good.

I'm very tempted by the cheap whole assembly since I don't have a spring compressor and this will be my first solo shock change and I'd like to avoid being a coil horror story.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

PabloBOOM posted:

I'm very tempted by the cheap whole assembly since I don't have a spring compressor and this will be my first solo shock change and I'd like to avoid being a coil horror story.

I understand this sentiment. However with a spring compressor it's not a big deal.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

You can borrow a spring compressor from PepBoys or whatever, they're really easy.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Hm. I'll reconsider my spring aversion since then I don't have to get the whole assembly$$$ and that opens up better strut options in my budget.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game
I replaced the struts and hats on my '07 Forester myself and found the disassembly process to be way sketchier than on any other car I've done. The springs were so long and under so much compression that I had a hard time with them buckling and it was difficult to hook up to enough coils with my screw-type compressor. It took a lot of patience and multiple tries to get everything arranged safely. If I were to do it again, I'd swap in a pre-assembled setup in a heartbeat.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

KYB part numbers btw are:

fr: 339383
fl: 339384
r: 341486

They are well under my cost at rockauto at around $70 a piece.

Cuscos I mentioned are more like 650.

I really need to buy myself one of these:

https://www.redlinestands.com/catal...mpressor-p-1593

There are nicer/better ones but that's a pretty decent setup for the money.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
So looks like my best options look like either that generic whole assembly I linked above, or four KYB struts from Rockauto and a press that hopefully won't maim me.

Will it be noticeably awful to cheap out and go with the generic assembly on a short DD/road trip mobile?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I have no idea. They could be fine for like the next 100k miles, or they could ride like poo poo and start clunking in a few months.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Anyone aware of any local Hawkeye WRX sedan/wagons for sale?
The market seems to have become a wasteland lately.

Finally test drove a WRX and I enjoyed it a lot, almost more so than the STI I drove a month or two ago.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Hawkeye WRXs are probably the best WRX (IMO), especially the 06.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Wrar posted:

It breaks my heart that now I am seeing trashed riced ones all over the place.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

So the new (reman) denso alternator finally arrived, just in time too the old one was starting to sound really gnarly. after I replaced it I tried turning it by hand and it was baaaad, felt like it was filled with gravel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-BAsxSmQEA

I let the car sit for two hours before touching it and the alt was still blazing hot from all the friction in the bad bearing. it was almost to hot to hold. you can also see the front and back is covered with a fine dust from the bearing disintegrating. that thing was capital F hosed.

all back together now. the new one is so shiny and clean it really stands out. really happy I was right about the noise and that replacing it on this car is super easy unlike a lot of FWD cars. yay pancake engines!

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Wrar posted:

Agreed, although I can never remember the differences between 06 and 07. This is also contingent upon swapping in the tails from 04-05s.

The only gripe I have with mine is the damned seat doesn't fold down. Such a shame.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Aluminum rear control arms and the fronts sometimes get the trick caster arms. First year of the EJ255 in the WRX, DBW.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

04-06 STI is the only one with extra caster.

I think the 06 gets aluminum front control arms and then 07 went back to steel.

It's just the front lateral link that is al, which doesn't really accomplish all that much.

The 06-07 gets the better 4/2 pot brakes and the 2.5 though, which is good.

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos
These FA20 (bren tuned) engines are very sensitive to fuel. I swear each time I get gas it is a roll of the dice whether or not I have issues with knock feedback and learning and this is usually from the same station (Valero seems best in South Jersey). I am half tempted to get rid of the car because I can't enjoy it.

So to maybe help this issue I was going to replace the Perrin intake with the Grimmspeed or stock. I also want to get it on a lift to check all fitments again, wrap the Jpipe and install a new charge pipe (when everything is good), then get a retune.

Are there any other areas I can look at to make sure I am not missing anything?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Just have the tuner pull some timing if you can't get decent fuel.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Found a new listing of a '06 WRX wagon in dark grey/silver with 57k miles listed at $13k...

Looks like there was a non-total accident back in '07, could be promising.
Did the wagons ever come in red?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

quote:

04-06 STI is the only one with extra caster.

Not true. Some 06's did get them.

Fifty Three posted:

Agreed, although I can never remember the differences between 06 and 07. This is also contingent upon swapping in the tails from 04-05s.

The only gripe I have with mine is the damned seat doesn't fold down. Such a shame.

Slightly different tune, 06 got alloy suspension bits, 06 slightly lighter, 06 4.444 final drive vs 07 4.111. Basically the 06 was too close to the STI so they just nobbled the 07 slightly. Also for some reason the 07 occasionally had an R180 in it.

Saying what is in a Hawkeye and year model differences is kinda interesting because esp in my experience Subaru threw out some really odd cars that dont match the factory specs, going from a few parts bin differences to say my 06 is is a true WTF as it has Spec-C and STI all through it AND a STI VIN, let alone a hot factory map. A lot of the grab bag of parts bins was Subaru running down inventory of parts that wouldnt fit the new model I think..... in the end you dont know what you might come across in a Hawkeye until you have a close look.

quote:

MY99/00, followed by 06/07 and then MY15 or MY11 hatch is my order. There's a lot of personal preferences of course but 99/00, 06/07, 11 are the years of good upgrades.

I think we can mostly agree that if you picked anything other than 04 XT as the best Forester you have a problem.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Any of you guys got a recommendation for a tuner in New England? I know EFI was supposed to be the top a while ago. I only ask because the guys that did my tune back in the day appear to have either gone out of business or just straight up left.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Not true. Some 06's did get them.

Not in the US. And no wrxes here got an r180 or sti/spec-c parts.

The final drive ratios you got there are different too. here the 06-07 wrx is 3.70.

jamal fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 5, 2018

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos

Wrar posted:

Just have the tuner pull some timing if you can't get decent fuel.

I emailed him about an hour ago.

I find it hard to believe that South Jersey doesn't have good gas brands. My go-to brands are Valero, Sunoco, and Citgo. Shell has one station in the area.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I think we can mostly agree that if you picked anything other than 04 XT as the best Forester you have a problem.

Hey now. I have 2 05’s! Granted, they are basically identical to the 04’s.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

aluminumonkey posted:

I emailed him about an hour ago.

I find it hard to believe that South Jersey doesn't have good gas brands. My go-to brands are Valero, Sunoco, and Citgo. Shell has one station in the area.

I fill up with 93 from BP and have the same thing. Granted I'm just using the OTS Cobb Stage 1 93 tune. Basically impossible to make it through any drive without having 1.41-2.82 degrees of knock feedback. I flashed the tune for 91 and that got rid of most of it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

jamal posted:

Not in the US. And no wrxes here got an r180 or sti/spec-c parts.

I'm aware of stock parts binner cars in the USA and Europe / UK got some interesting ones. It is not just a Aust only thing.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Hey now. I have 2 05’s! Granted, they are basically identical to the 04’s.

A couple of differences tho. Different tune to slightly bring back the hp.... and they also came clean with the real hp rathe than the ridulous underquoting. 210hp in the 04? More like 250. The quoted 05 hp was still underquoted but closer to the reality of 240.

Still point taken, the 05 is still a beast :D - also find it amusing that the 04/05 XT due to tyre diameter differences tops out at 225kph vs my MY06 WRX that hits the limiter at 213kph.

pctD
Aug 25, 2009

Pillbug

ThePeavstenator posted:

I fill up with 93 from BP and have the same thing. Granted I'm just using the OTS Cobb Stage 1 93 tune. Basically impossible to make it through any drive without having 1.41-2.82 degrees of knock feedback. I flashed the tune for 91 and that got rid of most of it.

From what I understand that's somewhat normal just because the quality of fuel can vary. That's why the ecu can adjust over time. You really don't want to see knock under high load though.

pctD fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 5, 2018

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gigi Galli posted:

Any of you guys got a recommendation for a tuner in New England? I know EFI was supposed to be the top a while ago. I only ask because the guys that did my tune back in the day appear to have either gone out of business or just straight up left.

EFI Logics did my car a couple of months ago and did a great job. My car threw an O2 sensor code shortly afterwards which they solved and updated the map for free and sent it to me via email. Super nice guys too. Tuner is a little paranoid and unplugged my dash cam when it was on the dyno though, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

A couple of differences tho. Different tune to slightly bring back the hp.... and they also came clean with the real hp rathe than the ridulous underquoting. 210hp in the 04? More like 250. The quoted 05 hp was still underquoted but closer to the reality of 240.

Still point taken, the 05 is still a beast :D - also find it amusing that the 04/05 XT due to tyre diameter differences tops out at 225kph vs my MY06 WRX that hits the limiter at 213kph.

I have one 05 that just has turbo-back and short ram intake running Cobb Stage 2 OTS, and the other has VF48 with EWG and top-feed rails and 1000cc injectors and everything in between, dyno-tuned etc. They’re massively different to drive but both hilarious. The gearing makes them accelerate in a way that no SUV really should, and the fact that they’re not really very heavy makes them solid performers. The wife also likes that they both have heated seats and leather etc etc to make her cozy.

I always thought the 210hp rating was a bit ridiculous given how they performed even stock. I remember driving one when they were new and feeling like they would pull on a WRX with no problem.