Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

PenisMonkey posted:

Because, as shown, people will buy them.

Yeah I caved. Couldn't help it.

I hate that I'm enjoying it otherwise(well, not entirely, I did just pay for it). But I am.

Cojawfee posted:

If this were a free DLC or a cheap addon to normal skyrim, that would be one thing. I can't believe they are charging 60 dollars for these games when they aren't even bothering to implement basic VR features.

Its pretty hilarious how early on I encountered bugs. Straight out of the gate. Like, 4 min into my stream, in a "new game". The dude falls off the cart and never triggers the end. Happens, 3 times I think until it finally didnt gently caress up.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I never played Skyrim much in flat-R, but VR makes some of these talky bits a lot more tolerable since it's kind of cool just chilling out in a field in VR and you can also air-fence or walk around poking things while the NPCs blabber.

Some parts seem kind of hacked together but I would use my Rift more if there were more hacked together VR ports like this.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
:bethesda:

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

EbolaIvory posted:

I had to restart the game 3 times?

First 3 or so times the "horse thief" fell off the cart so the end of the scene never triggers.

I then got the "menu bug" when you disable AA or whatever, and turn down the stupid FOV thing, it dispears. ALL the menus, Even the main menu. Welp, had to reset the ini file.

After that. Its been better. I got to play an hour. I'm having more fun than I did with normal Skyrim though. So thats good.

Its buggy. Thats for sure.

Yeah, I got the horse thief bug on my first attempt too.

I read the hitbox thing happens when you try to move around the room, so roomscale isn't technically working since your hitbox will not move with you. So you can't do things like physically dodge arrows, you have to use the in game movement to do that. I didn't test that myself, just what I read.

Also I was trying to play while sitting in a chair, and nothing I did could get it to think I was at normal standing height while sitting. Even turning the height thing up all the way made me feel like half the size of the NPCs. Not sure what to do about that, except maybe edit height further than the menu option allows? Advice there would be welcome, maybe it's something I need to do outside of skyrim settings(all I really tried was rebooting the vive while sitting).

Despite all of that It seems like a lot of fun. I couldn't stand the FO4 VR so I'm pretty happy that this seems like it's worth playing.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Apogee15 posted:

Yeah, I got the horse thief bug on my first attempt too.

I read the hitbox thing happens when you try to move around the room, so roomscale isn't technically working since your hitbox will not move with you. So you can't do things like physically dodge arrows, you have to use the in game movement to do that. I didn't test that myself, just what I read.

Also I was trying to play while sitting in a chair, and nothing I did could get it to think I was at normal standing height while sitting. Even turning the height thing up all the way made me feel like half the size of the NPCs. Not sure what to do about that, except maybe edit height further than the menu option allows? Advice there would be welcome, maybe it's something I need to do outside of skyrim settings(all I really tried was rebooting the vive while sitting).

Despite all of that It seems like a lot of fun. I couldn't stand the FO4 VR so I'm pretty happy that this seems like it's worth playing.

Yep, Its fun so far. I wish Fallout would have been "this playable" for the rift. I'd totally be playing it too.

Love hate thing with this company. Is last full price game they get out of me though. (until wolf gets VR... gently caress..)

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Cojawfee posted:

If this were a free DLC or a cheap addon to normal skyrim, that would be one thing. I can't believe they are charging 60 dollars for these games when they aren't even bothering to implement basic VR features.

I mean, at least they added the feature where if you shout the correct words you'll do the correct shout in game. I'm really enjoying shouting FUS RO DAH and knocking the draugr I'm looking at off a cliff, or shouting WULD and quickly dashing forwards.

lol jk that's not an actual feature (until some modder adds it)

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Don’t get me wrong; I have almost 10,000 hours in Skyrim. But that’s mainly thanks to mods. I love the poo poo out of Requiem. Since I got the SE for free I decided to try that out vanilla style and lasted all of 30 minutes. I might be more inclined to buy the VR version once mods are officially supported.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Yeah the intro/tutorial was completely buggy and terrible for me too but everything after has been pretty good. With some tweaks and texture mods it looks pretty decent. Melee combat is terrible but arrows and spells are a lot of fun.

Did Bethesda actually do this port? It definitely feels way higher quality than the terrible poo poo (FO4VR and Doom VR) they outsourced to that Texas based company.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Liking Skyrim VR so far, neat seeing how the character creator shifts you 5 feet left of the scene while everyone stands there waiting.

I didn't play long because it cranked my fans up to max and the cpu and gpu both at 70 degrees. Nothing else has done that VR or otherwise. Any basic cpu or nvidia settings I can cut down? Essential decluttering mods? Its a new 8600k and 1060 so I figured they shouldn't be struggling so much - had been aiming to crank up superscaling.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Chop Sunni posted:

Liking Skyrim VR so far, neat seeing how the character creator shifts you 5 feet left of the scene while everyone stands there waiting.

I didn't play long because it cranked my fans up to max and the cpu and gpu both at 70 degrees. Nothing else has done that VR or otherwise. Any basic cpu or nvidia settings I can cut down? Essential decluttering mods? Its a new 8600k and 1060 so I figured they shouldn't be struggling so much - had been aiming to crank up superscaling.

I think it’s poorly optimized to be honest. Supersample with everything on high makes my 1080 struggle while streaming. Most games don’t at similar levels.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Songbearer posted:

Holy poo poo. Just did it and why aren't more people talking about this? Running around in Skyrim with a video playing up in the sky is loving awesome.

The Oculus home stuff seems really cool too but man being able to do all this poo poo without leaving VR is pretty special.
Dash window pinning works in Skyrim VR? Interesting, I think the game devs have to individually add support for Dash integration... Kind of funny if Bethesda did so with this, when they refused to even support Rift at all with FO4.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

PenisMonkey posted:

Don’t get me wrong; I have almost 10,000 hours in Skyrim. But that’s mainly thanks to mods. I love the poo poo out of Requiem. Since I got the SE for free I decided to try that out vanilla style and lasted all of 30 minutes. I might be more inclined to buy the VR version once mods are officially supported.

Did you slip an extra zero there? That would be like 4 hours a day, every day, for a full seven years.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
So I've put more time into Skyrim VR and it's almost completely won me over.

The almost being the absence of one feature that I didn't imagine would be a bit of a deal breaker, but is.

No third-person view.

Now, I'm not some savage that plays in 3rd person, that's barbaric. But I do like playing to some degree pretty pretty dressup with my characters. After all half of the fun is looking stylish. But in VR it's irrelevant. I can't see myself look good! What's even the point of looking good if you can't lord it over the peasants! Daedric Armor then is just... just... a stat increase!

If I'm right that saves can be moved between versions (I've tried it and it worked but it remains to be seen how bad the orphan script problem would get by losing the VR master file), I'll use VR as a good chunk of my playtime, but I didn't imagine that losing 3rd person would actually be something I really care about, but it is.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Yeah, it's really strange how there's no paper doll for your character in the menus, even if it's just off to the side of the inventory. They gave you the full character editor as opposed to FO4VR's preset only option and then you never see yourself again :v:

On the bright side the person who made a Full Body Awareness mod for Skyrim which I can't remember the name of currently says he's working to make it functional in VR. Apparently he initially made the mod with it in mind and loves SkyrimVR so much that he's going to make it as good as possible, so there's that.

I did notice you can see the rings you have equipped on your character when you cast spells or brawl though which is neat. I can't help flailing my arms around when I'm casting spells to make it look even more intricate :3:

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Apr 4, 2018

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

El Grillo posted:

Dash window pinning works in Skyrim VR? Interesting, I think the game devs have to individually add support for Dash integration... Kind of funny if Bethesda did so with this, when they refused to even support Rift at all with FO4.

Dash works everywhere, it's not game dependent.

Edit: or I've been lucky and it works with every single game I've tried it with.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Apr 4, 2018

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

how's horse riding in VR?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So uh, my nephew noticed I had a DK2 lying around somewhere and wants me to let him try VR now. The DK2 still seems to work with the newest Oculus software.

However, yesterday everything seemed dandy, now I get errors about a pending hardware issue preventing me to enter VR. I'm not sure what the hell that is about, considering the same time, Oculus Home is running just fine in the DK2, for the whole time the Oculus app is open. Steam VR games also start fine. This makes no sense. Is this the sort of crap I've been avoiding up until now? I was pushing it up to a gen2 device, which they don't want to release any time soon.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

AgentF posted:

Did you slip an extra zero there? That would be like 4 hours a day, every day, for a full seven years.

No extra zeros. I’m one of those people that will just pause a game while I sleep/go to school/work.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

GutBomb posted:

Dash works everywhere, it's not game dependent.

Edit: or I've been lucky and it works with every single game I've tried it with.

Half right. You can use dash anywhere, and pin windows anywhere, however the game has to put in like 2 lines of code to send the depth buffer info to oculus for the dash menu system to just pop up over the game. Otherwise it goes to a white void with the dash menu. So the windows still pin and show up, but the menu bar and that won't show up as an overlay without the game putting the code in.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Ugh, I tried a repair, now everything's broken.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I picked up skyrim vr after a bunch of positive reviews but only because I got the gmg code and don't expect it to be under $45 until maybe christmas and maybe not even then. Had some paypal credits to use and thought Hell, why not.

I would never have paid $60 for it.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 4, 2018

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Tom Guycot posted:

Half right. You can use dash anywhere, and pin windows anywhere, however the game has to put in like 2 lines of code to send the depth buffer info to oculus for the dash menu system to just pop up over the game. Otherwise it goes to a white void with the dash menu. So the windows still pin and show up, but the menu bar and that won't show up as an overlay without the game putting the code in.
Oh wait, you can still pin windows in app even if it doesn't have the depth buffer code?? drat, didn't realise. That's cool. That void situation is what I meant when I was talking about apps not having Dash support. Brass Tactics doesn't, for example. But if I can still pin windows, it means I can watch poo poo and do versus against people which is cool and good.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

PenisMonkey posted:

No extra zeros. I’m one of those people that will just pause a game while I sleep/go to school/work.

Well now that doesn't count :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
:siren:Ausgoons:siren:

If you want to get a Vive headset for all of $710AUD, hit up EB Game's eBay store and use the code PLAYER1 at checkout to knock 20% off the price. Here's a direct link to the listing.

So much for holding off for a Gen-2 headset :shepspends:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 4, 2018

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Well now that doesn't count :colbert:

Steam seems to think so :colbert:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Neddy Seagoon posted:

:siren:Ausgoons:siren:

If you want to get a Vive headset for all of $710AUD, hit up EB Game's eBay store and use the code PLAYER1 at checkout to knock 20% off the price. Here's a direct link to the listing.

So much for holding off for a Gen-2 headset :shepspends:.

Wait, they sell normally for $879 here? That seems to imply the recent vive price cut never made its way over. Yeesh.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

El Grillo posted:

Oh wait, you can still pin windows in app even if it doesn't have the depth buffer code?? drat, didn't realise. That's cool. That void situation is what I meant when I was talking about apps not having Dash support. Brass Tactics doesn't, for example. But if I can still pin windows, it means I can watch poo poo and do versus against people which is cool and good.

I’ve personally not had a game it didn’t work. Code or not.

Mind you. I’ve not tested it with every game I own but it seemingly works everywhere

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
As far as I know, elite dangerous doesn't have the depth code so while you can place a pinned screen anywhere and it stays put and it's really nice, it will block anything whether it is in front or behind. Like even if you position the screen so it looks like it's at your feet, if any part of the pinned screen would be obstructed by your armchair, it would still hide the armchair instead of the armchair hiding the part of it that should be behind it. Not a big deal really. you still get a 3d space to place the screen, but I guess if the game hasn't been coded with dash in mind that 3d space is an overlay of the entire view rather than being able to place the screen in the 3d environment as an actual part of that environment.

It's much better than ovrdrop or V in it's implementation.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Combat Pretzel posted:

Ugh, I tried a repair, now everything's broken.

Are you getting hit with the DLL code-signing bug? Try running this:
https://support.oculus.com/217157135500529/

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I think I did by hand what that tool presumably does. The sensor driver refused to install. I had to export the expired certificate from the DK2 sensor driver and then force import it as trusted one using certutil.exe. Now everything is dandy. Using these goggles again, makes me wish that Oculus hurries with a 2nd gen device with higher resolution.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Payday 2 VR felt much better than Skyrim VR (and I presume Fallout 4 VR for similar reasons). It was free, too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tom Guycot posted:

Wait, they sell normally for $879 here? That seems to imply the recent vive price cut never made its way over. Yeesh.

They were a clean $1,000 a few months back, so I think it actually did.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Man Skyrim has some jank for me. As I'm walking around I'm getting a weird rubberbanding stutter. It's odd. I tried an INI setting I found to set enablegamepad=0 but it doesn't seemed to have helped a ton.

Also I'm doing full movement with the sticks on the Oculus and no vision dimming and wow jumping down from the keep at the beginning into the inn about killed me IRL. Oh man, I thought I was doing good up to that point.

I should probably point out this is my first major VR game I've played.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They were a clean $1,000 a few months back, so I think it actually did.

Thats some grade A bullshit. If its at 879 normally, I would have to think it would just be cheaper to buy it overseas and ship it. jeez

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tom Guycot posted:

Thats some grade A bullshit. If its at 879 normally, I would have to think it would just be cheaper to buy it overseas and ship it. jeez

Shipping costs would probably negate the difference.

Edit: just checked a few sites and, yup, $879 is the new discounted price for us.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 5, 2018

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

What does Rift cost there?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Enos Cabell posted:

I haven't actually SEEN the Rift for sale anywhere here, actually. Even the PC parts stores like Scorptec don't have'em.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Enos Cabell posted:

I don't know about in a brick and mortar store, but on their website its 449 USD/585 AUD, which includes all shipping and taxes. Thats why I can't believe they're charging 879 AUD for the vive here. I checked with one of those companies that will buy stuff and ship it to you, and it would be about 750 to buy a vive in the US and have them ship it to you. 879 is just taking the piss.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Rectus posted:

Tried out The Mages Tale. The gameplay seems fun so far, but the controller and locomotion is set up horribly for the Vive.

The teleport works fine, but the free locomotion is set up like a 4 direction digital d-pad with head relative movement, requiring holding down the touchpad to move. The hands are misalinged from the controllers and it's hard to find the right spot for picking things up, which is done by keeping the grip button held. It also keeps turning the player around to the front of the playspace, and the smooth rotation on the touchpad is also digital.

Looks like they listened to the feedback on some of this stuff already:

quote:

Hi everyone,

We listened to your feedback and, as promised, have just released a major update that adds in some new movement options.

Controller Based Movement: this attaches the primary directions to the controller, as opposed to the head, for movement. forward is now the direction the controller points as opposed to the headset

Touch to Move (Vive only): this utilizes the trackpad functionality of the Vive wand to input directions. The player can just place their thumb and slide it for directional inputs as opposed to pressing down on the pad for basic movements

These are available via the options menu for users who prefer them. We hope you like them! Give them a try and please let us know what you think!

- The inXile team

Cool to see them so responsive about that, hopefully they fix the other issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I never played pancake Skyrim but I'm really liking the VR version. Swordplay is kind of meh so far but it might be better if I used a shield. Spellcasting and archery are pretty sweet. I read that destruction doesn't scale well late game so I might need a mod for that. One thing I wish it had was a quick way to save a loadout so I don't have to keep going through a menu to cast summon then fireball.