Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

classic baal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
i can fix him

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Captain Baal posted:

actually he's p good

Hm, no

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Motto posted:

classic baal

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Maybe Goro is good

at being bad

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I hope they make Odin pull a senator Thor in SMT5 and nuke the whole planet again, that'd be fun.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Captain Baal posted:

actually he's p good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0czSV6fyXg

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Expect My Mom posted:

haru's dad: i'm going to sell my teenage daughter off to be married to an abuser
everyone, including me: wow this dude sucks
haru's dad: [dies]
everyone: man haru im sorry, that sucks so much
me: wait what
I mean, aside from it being ok and a normal to feel bad that a relative of someone who you know has died (regardless of whether they were a terrible person), considering you had just changed the guy's heart and all those terrible things which he had done, or was going to do, were because of his distorted heart or whatever, it was pretty tragic.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Persona 5 was when I had realized that I have massively outgrown Persona. It's not even like these are problems unique to Persona 5 either, 3 and 4 had similarly stupid moments I found hilarious about 10 years ago but cringe at and find painfully unfunny and even a little offensive now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

I mean, aside from it being ok and a normal to feel bad that a relative of someone who you know has died (regardless of whether they were a terrible person), considering you had just changed the guy's heart and all those terrible things which he had done, or was going to do, were because of his distorted heart or whatever, it was pretty tragic.
i dont think the distorted hearts in eprsona 5 are like, actual supernatural afflictions. when they say someone's twisted they just mean they're a twisted person, not that some supernatural force has overtaken them. they're like that as a person. thats why the characters feel weird about changing people's hearts, its basically mind control. so haru's dad just works people to death and wants to marry off his daughter 'cause hes a shithead

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

One thing I didn't understand about P5 coming off P4 is how the P5 Shadows are actually "the true selves." P4 Shadows were exaggerated caricatures of various flaws and not really representative of who the heroes truly were. In P5, the Shadows let us see what the various Targets were truly like and how they saw the world.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

My biggest issue with P3 is that you are supposed to have this enormous company backing you yet you are forced to buy crappy black market gear from a cop from funds that are almost entirely generated from monster hunting.

Where do you think all the briefcases with insane amounts of money come from?

irlZaphod posted:

Haru says he used to be a nicer guy before he got all wrapped up in an obsession with being a politician or whatever.

Motto posted:

Goro's plan was incredibly dumb.

"I'm gonna get back at this guy by doing 99.99% of his dirty work, which is largely disposing of his enemies and used up pawns, before killing him at the very, very end. I see no gaping hole in this."

*gets killed by the guy when his usefulness runs out*

He didn't really have much reason to think that Shido COULD kill him. That said I think the dumbest part of his plan was "heroically sacrifice myself so the heroes don't have to fight like, 5 shadows."

Motto posted:

That is the gag but it's weirdly executed enough that it kills the scene when just doing it less severely would work (like tearfully calling him an idiot before just being happy that he's alive). He's obviously not actually dead in the player's mind, so going in hard on the charcters' emotional reaction is the only way it can work, but instead they do about the opposite of even trying.

It's also weird that they pull the exact same thing with Morgana like two hours later, tops.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Persona 5 was when I had realized that I have massively outgrown Persona. It's not even like these are problems unique to Persona 5 either, 3 and 4 had similarly stupid moments I found hilarious about 10 years ago but cringe at and find painfully unfunny and even a little offensive now.

It's you, you're the adult ruining the world!!!

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Apr 4, 2018

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

i dont think the distorted hearts in eprsona 5 are like, actual supernatural afflictions. when they say someone's twisted they just mean they're a twisted person, not that some supernatural force has overtaken them. they're like that as a person. thats why the characters feel weird about changing people's hearts, its basically mind control. so haru's dad just works people to death and wants to marry off his daughter 'cause hes a shithead

Lets start with Haru's dad as he is actually a good example of what I think Persona 5 was trying to do. He grew up the son of a businessman who was constantly in debt and a general feeling of a lack of control and power. So from an early age he became obsessed with the idea of needing power at all costs and so everything he did centered around the idea of accumulating more power so that he would never be vulnerable in the same sense that his dad was. This attitude and success led to him being lauded by society so he internally began to believe that this was the only way to live. And this point he was basically trapped as taking a moment to realize just what he was doing was wrong would invalidate his entire life and so it basically became an example of the sunk cost fallacy. When his heart was stolen he was given a mental reset to before he became such a monster and was thus horrified about what he had been doing for so long.

All the bosses, either those in Mementos or the palace bosses have the same thing going on. Though either an accident or an intentional choice the world ended up reinforcing hosed up ideas about how the world actually works and thus were not only going to keep on doing it, but start to encourage others to act in the same way.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm not sure I actually have any opinion on Goro beyond "lol, okay game, sure, whatever"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
akechi is bad, but on the other hand you have to admit he sucks

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

His arc is really weak because it sort of just happens quickly and is done, and doesn't really have much affect on the characters or the rest of the game. Like, you go take care of Shido and then are into the endgame.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Stop being mean to my anime bf <:mad:>

I realize how problematic parts of P5 were after clearing it once and now I'm conflicted if I want to do a 2nd PT. Also, happy 1st anniversary. I second growing out of Persona too compared to P3/4 back in HS.

FeMC when

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I liked P5 a lot, but like any Persona game It Has Problems.

Also I first played the series only a couple of years ago and I'm in my late 30s. v:shobon:v

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Father Okumura was a acum

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Alder posted:

Stop being mean to my anime bf <:mad:>

I realize how problematic parts of P5 were after clearing it once and now I'm conflicted if I want to do a 2nd PT. Also, happy 1st anniversary. I second growing out of Persona too compared to P3/4 back in HS.

FeMC when

yea I immediately went back and replayed 3 and 4 when I first got them but 5 it was one and done. didn't like it as much as I thought I would going in which was disappointing

still liked it well enough tho. it's not a bad game

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Get this gang, Persona 5 is good.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

It's worse than P3 and P4 though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's not worse than P3.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Healbot posted:

It's worse than P4 though.

Nah

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
They're all pretty good.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
the p4 friends are such assholes to each other yosuke

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't remember him getting it that bad but maybe that's because ryuji is so fresh in my mind as a point of comparison

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
i think about chie loving over his finances to buy teddie's clothes a lot.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Healbot posted:

It's worse than P3 and P4 though.

Who cares, ranking series is dumb *Sweats nervously as someone pours through my post history to severely own me by finding my posts ranking the FF and MGS series*

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Metal Gear Solid 3 is the best one and Final Fantasy IX is the best one

All of them are good tho

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Expect My Mom posted:

Metal Gear Solid 3 is the best one and Final Fantasy IX is the best one

All of them are good tho

Agreed on all counts though 6 is tied with 9 imo

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Hunt11 posted:

Lets start with Haru's dad as he is actually a good example of what I think Persona 5 was trying to do. He grew up the son of a businessman who was constantly in debt and a general feeling of a lack of control and power. So from an early age he became obsessed with the idea of needing power at all costs and so everything he did centered around the idea of accumulating more power so that he would never be vulnerable in the same sense that his dad was. This attitude and success led to him being lauded by society so he internally began to believe that this was the only way to live. And this point he was basically trapped as taking a moment to realize just what he was doing was wrong would invalidate his entire life and so it basically became an example of the sunk cost fallacy. When his heart was stolen he was given a mental reset to before he became such a monster and was thus horrified about what he had been doing for so long.

All the bosses, either those in Mementos or the palace bosses have the same thing going on. Though either an accident or an intentional choice the world ended up reinforcing hosed up ideas about how the world actually works and thus were not only going to keep on doing it, but start to encourage others to act in the same way.

Actually he did it because he wanted to buy a really expensive model spaceship.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I figured you guys would find this interesting. A few weeks ago Famitsu ran a survey for foreigner gamers on their webpage, among those questions for their favorite games and the first six got a four pages feature. As you could expect P5 was one of them.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Glad they printed the opinions of some random idiots from the internet.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, if I wanted the opinions of a bunch of random assholes, I wouldn't be visiting the Something Awful dot com Forums subforum Games thread for the Megami Tensei series, no sir

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Wait Persona 5 came first in their poll of greatest Japanese game of all time. Was it brigaded by persona fans?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think recency bias is a lot more likely

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Agreed on all counts though 6 is tied with 9 imo
feel like i played FF6 too late in life but it's undeniably cool.

the Strong Gamer Opinions

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I remember skipping class the day Persona 5 came out and I cannot believe it's been a year

christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I remember deciding like months in advance to skip class for Persona 5, waking up at midnight, playing two hours, and then going back to sleep and going to class in the morning

That's not even a statement about P5's quality btw, I'm just very loving depressed