Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Serephina posted:

Absolutely not. The numerical mechanics of DCSS are so obfuscated that it's almost comical. You'll find stuff like nested 1d(1d(2d(foo))+foo) and other assorted madness. It will be vague bars forever, until someone rips it all down and rebuilds it from scratch.

wat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Blink. Wrong thread.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Anonymous Robot posted:

Is there a way to actually see what enemy abilities do? I’m always just sort of mystified by what the numerical effects of Mark Target (like, I know it’s either a damage or accuracy modifier, but idk which based on the graphic and skill name) or some of the weirder poisons etc do. I never could find a UI element that told me what was happening to the effected target. I had to look on a wiki to find out that hunkering down negated burning.

Not really. There are some mods that help with this like 'Not another F1', otherwise its mostly trial and error.

Serephina posted:

Absolutely not. The numerical mechanics of DCSS are so obfuscated that it's almost comical. You'll find stuff like nested 1d(1d(2d(foo))+foo) and other assorted madness. It will be vague bars forever, until someone rips it all down and rebuilds it from scratch.

Wrong thread lol.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
edit: nevermind.

I had thought burning no longer disabling melee attacks in WotC a thing, but I apparently read something wrong.

Emberfox fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 3, 2018

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm fairly certain it still disables melee hits. If anything Fire is now better than ever between Lost and Rulers.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I think Long War 2 changed it so that melee didn't disable melee? It did some confusing stuff with status effects.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Serephina posted:

edit: This was not a question about the monster spell in a roguelike. Wrong thread, sorry!
Where's my magic fantasy mod that lets me train rookies into sorcerers and druids while blasting Koboldlids and ORK troopers?

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

It's very important to me because I like ambushing Stun Lancer pods with a flamethrower.

I think it's chrysalids that now can attack while on fire in WotC.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Where's my magic fantasy mod that lets me train rookies into sorcerers and druids while blasting Koboldlids and ORK troopers?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1137913176

:v:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Looking at the numbers behind status effects has made me realize I’ve really been sleeping on flashbangs.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Bogart posted:

Let him run?

It turned out to be tied with his Flee Portal. I went back 3 rounds, bombed him to death of out of LOS, mission finished fine. All rulers now dead.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Colgate posted:

edit: nevermind.

I had thought burning no longer disabling melee attacks in WotC a thing, but I apparently read something wrong.

I think it disables melee for humanoids but not melee-only stuff like chryssalids, is my understanding.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

So I bought xcom 2 and wotc. Should I play with wotc?any recommendations modwise for a beginner?what difficulty?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

So I bought xcom 2 and wotc. Should I play with wotc?any recommendations modwise for a beginner?what difficulty?

How cocky are you? Did you play Enemy Unknown?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Fangz posted:

How cocky are you? Did you play Enemy Unknown?

I did for a bit,but I never really got into it when it came out. I own the basegame.

I watched an LP of Xcom2 and it seems more my deal...I feel kinda cocky,I know half cover is a trap.

I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't sign up for ADVENT superpowers instantly. I'm a race traitor

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Feel free to play WOTC but do note you might get overwhelmed by how much poo poo the game throws at you. Honestly it feels like a kids' toybox with dozens of stuff crammed in; just find whatever is cool and you can probably make it work.

Don't reveal new terrain and risk activating a new pod if your troops aren't ready, and especially not if you're already fighting some mooks.
abilities that are 100% guaranteed to deal damage are the best because they're fall-back options in case that 78% shot misses.

With the above we know that grenadiers and blademaster rangers are effectively the best two classes because they are most useful for demolishing cover and dealing grenade damage (the former) or for flanking and instantly-deleting enemies with shotguns or swords (the latter) with 100% attacks.

That's basically it

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

if you feel cocky I suggest you play on commander with the bronzeman mod and see how far you get first, and then if you get utterly slaughtered, consider turning down the difficulty.

You only get the full :xcom: experience once after all

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I assume the rng seed is still savescummable?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Decided it was time to up the difficulty

Start new Ironman game on Commander

First mission, turn two, two crits, both in full cover:

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

Half cover can be acceptable sometimes if you have a smoke grenade, flashbang or aid protocol handy.

Better yet, all three at once.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Decided it was time to up the difficulty

Start new Ironman game on Commander

First mission, turn two, two crits, both in full cover:

Did you accidentally break concealment or something?

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
It's nice to watch people play L/I on twitch just to see bullshit 98% shots miss and mess everyone else up too

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I assume the rng seed is still savescummable?
What I’ve typically seen is that you get one reroll. When I scummed it was actually more common that I’d save, take a shot that hit, then another shot that missed, and when I reloaded the first shot suddenly missed and there was no amount of reloading that made it a hit again. So be diligent, is what I’m saying.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Biggest Jerk posted:

It's nice to watch people play L/I on twitch just to see bullshit 98% shots miss and mess everyone else up too

My favorite is watching people miss 100% shots and realizing with horror that XCOM rounds the percentage chance up.

My least favorite is when that happened to me.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I was planning to come back for more XCOM tomorrow on a new campaign. I took a look at what WOTC is all about and:catstare:. What the hell is this Saturday morning cartoon villain poo poo? The chosen are awful. What the hell is going on?

Was OldCOM like that ever?

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

The Skeleton King posted:

I was planning to come back for more XCOM tomorrow on a new campaign. I took a look at what WOTC is all about and:catstare:. What the hell is this Saturday morning cartoon villain poo poo? The chosen are awful. What the hell is going on?

Was OldCOM like that ever?

was old XCOM ever cartoony hmm let me think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttggec6eJFY

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

OldCOM was like an accounting department trying to clear and alien crash site and occasionally not all dying.

Eventually they'd all end up in power armor with blaster bombs and they were incredibly powerful but still nothing like the super hero bullshit firaxis has turned the series into

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Cicadalek posted:

was old XCOM ever cartoony hmm let me think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttggec6eJFY

This intro has almost nothing to do with the actual gameplay though

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
muh seerious xcoms!!!!!!!!!

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
It was a very sombre and serious depiction of a man with guile hair using magical mind powers to kill snake men

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, the intro is totally out of whack with the actual gameplay look/music/feel. TFTD's intro, while very dated, is more representative. TFTD was scary, yo.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I mean I still love XCOM, but what the hell is up with the chosen being such lame idiots?

Bogart posted:

muh seerious xcoms!!!!!!!!!

I'm just a little confused with the anime villain plot in a series about government dudes shooting a bunch of aliens.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh, another fun hater

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Zore posted:

I think Long War 2 changed it so that melee didn't disable melee? It did some confusing stuff with status effects.

Reason behind this: Bug in base game that was never fixed. Doing a sword attack run that gets pathed through fire will disable, mid-run, the ability to do the very attack you're pathed for.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fangz posted:

Oh, another fun hater

Video games are serious business, no fun allowed!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I kind of miss the bumbling feeling of everyone dying horribly and being expendable. There was a black comedy charm to the old X-COM meatgrinder.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

kidkissinger posted:

OldCOM was like an accounting department trying to clear and alien crash site and occasionally not all dying.

Eventually they'd all end up in power armor with blaster bombs and they were incredibly powerful but still nothing like the super hero bullshit firaxis has turned the series into

It's kind of a consequence of the basic assumptions in the new model, I think. Fewer units mean each unit needs to do more, meaning each unit matters more. And, as things drift, that means there's less of X-Com 1's disposable meat shield style.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed 2 and WotC a lot but I would love to see a return to fewer hitpoints on both sides, with a more grounded feel.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

kidkissinger posted:

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed 2 and WotC a lot but I would love to see a return to fewer hitpoints on both sides, with a more grounded feel.

It's not hit point counts. The original X-Com actually had higher HP. What you're looking for, I think, is survivability. The new X-Com has more limited variation in damage, and tends to give you a couple hits before dying. The original was a crapshoot. One Chryssalid terror mission stuck in my memory started off with a shot bending around the first soldier off the ramp to instantly kill the guy behind her, and then followed up by bouncing rounds off her armor with only minor injuries. (Seriously, that soldier had all the luck. First off the ramp from first contact to Cydonia. It was kind of absurd.)

Yes, the boosting HP totals help, but the reduced randomness in damage is a much bigger factor in reducing the meatgrinder feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
While "fun hater chosen are cool" is a fair enough thing, when I was still actively playing it I wanted them to just shut the gently caress up like halfway through my first game. They just drone on and on and on. Its a bit obnoxious.