Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
You haven't read Homestuck unless you were there for Cascade crashing the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

RIP Tom Fulp
1978-2011

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Zeruel posted:

You haven't read Homestuck unless you were there for Cascade crashing the internet.

A good poster posted:

He's used Newgrounds to host files during the initial rush, but the oncoming bandwidth storm may be too big for even that.

:smug:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Spellman posted:

Many of us already have

Yeah, I'm not holding out much hope for that Kickstarter backer reward. Will probably make it myself at some point. 3d print a little sburb logo cover for a USB stick and download the whole site to it.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Pants Donkey posted:

Cohen was the head writer and Cragg was a big artist.

I could see if Hussie wanted to mix it up for Hauntswitch, but Hiveswap has three acts left so the finished product will likely feel extremely off.

IOW, very Homestuck

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

So, Hussie has actually made a news update.

He makes a really important point:

quote:

My intent for MSPA was never to have it last forever, or to concern myself with maintaining a labyrinthine, crudely-coded website for the rest of my life. At some point, the right thing to do was always going to be figuring out how the stories hosted on it could persist long into the future.
Being the webmaster for mspaintadventures.com is a lot of work, and is going to continue to be a lot of work forever, especially when it comes to addressing the whole Flash problem. Hussie's a cartoonist/creator/whatever the gently caress you want to call it. It's totally reasonable for him to say "It's done, I want to get out of the tech support business and on to [insert your unlikely event]."

Tumblr is going apeshit because Tumblr goes apeshit, but mostly about reorging the Hiveswap team out of existence. There's also a meme about the first character you see when you go to the new site being your government-assigned persona, and I got Equius, reloaded, and got Tavros, so to hell with that. Kept reloading until I got one of [Jade/Dave/Kanaya], eventually got Jade, and realized what a colossal WOMBAT my life had become.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There's also a meme about the first character you see when you go to the new site being your government-assigned persona, and I got Equius, reloaded, and got Tavros, so to hell with that. Kept reloading until I got one of [Jade/Dave/Kanaya], eventually got Jade, and realized what a colossal WOMBAT my life had become.

I saw that post. Got Vriska. Shrugged and accepted it.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
who is left to read all this new homestuck? it has been nine years

FunkyAl fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 4, 2018

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

FunkyAl posted:

There are still new archive readers, surprisingly. I doubt Viz would have committed to expensive work to port the Flash to HTML5 and YouTube unless Hussie could show ongoing hits.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

I got a colleague to read it. He sped through it in the space of 3 weeks and has already written his first Davekat fanfiction.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Plom Bar posted:

I got a colleague to read it. He sped through it in the space of 3 weeks and has already written his first Davekat fanfiction.
Well done. One of us!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Now that the hype has blown over and the counter-hype has blown over there's probably a fair few people wondering what all that fuss was about.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Tumblr is going apeshit because Tumblr goes apeshit, but mostly about reorging the Hiveswap team out of existence.
Honestly it seems like a decent thing to get upset over. I’m not a huge Cohen fan, but it’s kinda lovely to be unceremoniously dumped from a project that you probably worked hard on given its turbulent development history.

Granted, we don’t know all the details, but if Hiveswap is known for anything, it’s the utter lack of PR.

Pants Donkey fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 4, 2018

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Introduce him to the barrel of my gun!!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

FunkyAl posted:

I'm following at least one liveblogger at the moment who has a good chance of finishing (He's right at Caliborn's claymation puppet shows) and like three others that are dithering around in the open acts and probably won't.

My ideal offline format would have lots of cool extra features, like a "timeline" feature where you can pick a character and read only the pages they're in, in their chronological perspective. Presumably there'd be forks when alternate timelines / retcons happen.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

Honestly it seems like a decent thing to get upset over. I’m not a huge Cohen, but it’s kinda lovely to be unceremoniously dumped from a project that you probably worked hard on given its turbulent development history.

Granted, we don’t know all the details, but if Hiveswap is known for anything, it’s the utter lack of PR.
Fair.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Bobulus posted:

I'm following at least one liveblogger at the moment who has a good chance of finishing (He's right at Caliborn's claymation puppet shows) and like three others that are dithering around in the open acts and probably won't.

My ideal offline format would have lots of cool extra features, like a "timeline" feature where you can pick a character and read only the pages they're in, in their chronological perspective. Presumably there'd be forks when alternate timelines / retcons happen.

Christ, that'd be a lot of work to put together.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
what the gently caress is a homestank

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

paranoid randroid posted:

what the gently caress is a homestank

i think it's spelled hamsteak, which sounds pretty good to me right about now tbh

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Appropriately enough thanks to a tick bite I am now allergic to hamsteak. Might explain why act 6 kept making me itch.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
i dont think homestuck was built to stand the test of time guys...its a neat concept but it was too dependent on the insular culture it created online. like you really had to be there, specifically because it created a cult of teenagers thst it siphoned money from for just really dumb crap....did the hussies have a stake in grey facepaint...and thats what made homestuck compelling, being tricked out of money by some east coast type. i dont want to look at no stick figure motion graphics! im an adult! i dont care how nicely you digitally paint them. give me something with some panache, for the 4000 hours of me staring a comouter readin this

this said however if you still have your problem sleuth books thats worth giving your nephew for a thirteenth birthday or major religious rite of passage

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Bobulus posted:

Any chance of a link?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

FunkyAl posted:

i dont think homestuck was built to stand the test of time guys...

as a whole i can take it or leave it but theres some real gems scattered around the heaving bulk of the story and tbh having Been There for things like Trollmageddon or Penis Ouija kind of vindicate the rest of the mess imo but thats just like my opinion, man

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I tried getting into Homestuck back in 2011 or so bc so many people on the escapist forums had avs from there but I didn't realize I could bookmark it and I didn't trust the save function, so I never got past act 1

Like I thought the whole thing was in flash rather than separate pages

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Homestuck absolutely holds up. It has a tonne of really good jokes and a fair amount of genuinely good drama too. The experience was definitely enhanced by its gigantic, thriving community though.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Everything about the CosbyTop isn't going to age well.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

ThaumPenguin posted:

I tried getting into Homestuck back in 2011 or so bc so many people on the escapist forums had avs from there but I didn't realize I could bookmark it and I didn't trust the save function, so I never got past act 1
This happened the first three times I tried it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
"this isn't an accurate representation of the internet at all, there's barely any nazis"

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Samovar posted:

Any chance of a link?

I assume you're asking about the liveblogger who's up to caliborn's claymation, in which case Bob can only mean this fellow.

He started out liveblogging order of the stick, hence the tumblr name, and also does reactions/liveblogs to paranatural, stephen universe, possibly ponies, and a couple of other things. He's not bad, although his video bits grate on me personally; he's got an annoying tendency to end every single sentence with an upward inflection like everything he says is a question.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

CidGregor posted:

he's got an annoying tendency to end every single sentence with an upward inflection like everything he says is a question.

ah, so he's Norwegian

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

"this isn't an accurate representation of the internet at all, there's barely any nazis"

its 2018 and equius is a nazi now

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

paranoid randroid posted:

its 2018 and equius is a nazi now

karkat has gone from a failed programmer to a failed twitch streamer

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

karkat has gone from a failed programmer to a failed twitch streamer

are you kidding karkat would be patreon gold as a streamer. imagine him screaming himself unconscious at Cuphead

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, the streamer's currency is screaming and exaggerated reactions. Karkat would have a gigantic following of both genuine and ironic fans.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Hussie gives an interview in his usual silly, cagey style.

quote:

Newsarama: Andrew, my first reaction to seeing Homestuck collected like this was...well, "How the hell are they going to do that?!" And actually, that's a running part of your commentary in the book.What were some of the biggest challenges in reformatting the series into a print medium, let alone going back and reviewing your work from a decade ago?

Andrew Hussie: The biggest reformatting challenges weren't mine to solve. A guy named Chris took all the stuff from the website and turned them into page layouts for the books. He did a very good job.

So, if there were challenges in reformatting the work, I wasn't the one who solved those problems, he was. Generally speaking, I don't solve problems, I just create them.

Looking back on my work as I make notes for the books has been a good experience. I get to read everything all over again, including lots of stuff I forgot about. Most of it is incredibly funny and good. I don't think I ever laugh at stuff as much as the stuff I made myself. I mean, other people's stuff is fine. It's just not quite as good.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

this interview is too softball and isnt actually about the real poo poo. if anyone in here knows anyone i want to challenge andrew hussie to an interview. i will be fair but real unimpressed

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Does anybody know if they're changing Vols 1-2? Because I already have those.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Does anybody know if they're changing Vols 1-2? Because I already have those.

I will report my findings in about 2 weeks or so, but I wouldn't count on it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Plom Bar posted:

I will report my findings in about 2 weeks or so, but I wouldn't count on it.

Thank you for taking one for the goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Kickstarter Update #2: The Book Is Coming, But Not Yet
Posted by SBAHJ Probuctions (Creator)

Sara from Make That Thing posted:

Hello friends!

I know we said you'd be getting your rewards in April. But things have taken longer than expected: we had to go on a spoon quest of our own. Did you know that it's not a normal, routine thing to do, to order two thousand spoons and ship them to a book printer and have the spoons placed inside the books? We thought we had it all figured out, but... there were complications and language barriers. (No one warned us about spoons, bro.)

So the rewards are chugging along, and I'm sorry for the lack of updates. You'll hear more from us again soon. You don't need to worry about giving us your address yet, we'll ask for that when the books are almost here.

If you have any questions in the meantime, feel free to email me: sara@makethatthing.com.

Thank you for your support and your patience!