Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Besesoth posted:

There’s dumb, and then there’s calling Indiana Jones movies “children’s movies” when the MPAA literally invented the PG-13 rating so people wouldn’t mistake them for kids’ movies.

13 is a child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

most pg-13 movies are aimed at kids?
that's literally why even Die Hard and Terminator movies are pg-13 now because its more profitable for kids to be able to go

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I'm loathe to defend Jerry Cotton but lol if you dont consider Indiana Jones to be kids movies. Dark, scary, fun kids movies but def. kids

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

purple death ray posted:

most pg-13 movies are aimed at kids?
that's literally why even Die Hard and Terminator movies are pg-13 now because its more profitable for kids to be able to go

I mean if you don't see the difference between "this is aimed at kids" and "we're not going to complain if kids see this" then I don't know what to tell you.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jerry Cotton posted:

13 is a child.

You said 8 first, goalpost mover.

There is a difference between single digit age kids and freaking teenagers

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Don't let Jerry Cotton distract you from the real monster, fruit on the bottom, who claims that Temple of Doom is worse than Crystal Skull.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
There's a difference between movies aimed at kids and movies aimed at families.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

rydiafan posted:

Don't let Jerry Cotton distract you from the real monster, fruit on the bottom, who claims that Temple of Doom is worse than Crystal Skull.

For real, I'm in the "i didn't care for temple of doom" camp but if you think it's worse than Crystal skull there's something fuckin wrong with you. That movie was loving terrible

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

swordfish duelist posted:

For real, I'm in the "i didn't care for temple of doom" camp but if you think it's worse than Crystal skull there's something fuckin wrong with you. That movie was loving terrible

Shia LaBeouf may be a worse person, but I'd argue Willie was a worse character.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Antioch posted:

Hold on, I can't hear you. Let me ride my motorcycle to the top of this clearly-on-a-set dirt "ruin," so I can get closer.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

While Temple of Doom is a more entertaining movie than crystal skulls, crystal skulls didn't have early tintin levels of racism so it's kind of a toss up.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I’ll also defend the thematic choice of changing it from ancient artifacts and Nazis to aliens and communists to better suit the changing focus of pulp fiction in the era

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Antioch posted:

Short Round *more* than makes up for it. :colbert:

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

fruit on the bottom posted:

I’ll also defend the thematic choice of changing it from ancient artifacts and Nazis to aliens and communists to better suit the changing focus of pulp fiction in the era

Were there people complaining about the change from Nazis to Commies? Because that's only the most logical way to progress the story's setting anyway.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I love Temple of Doom. Love British Indian Army being the good guys.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

The Last Crusade is better than Raiders though.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

These are literally the only things I would defend about Crystal Skull

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

They didn't have much choice with as old as Harrison Ford is now, it's not like it was a bold creative decision. If they'd managed to get it going when he was still young looking it almost certainly would have still been about nazis

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Were there people complaining about the change from Nazis to Commies? Because that's only the most logical way to progress the story's setting anyway.

I’ve seen some, but usually it’s the aliens thing.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
The best complaint about Crystal Skull is that Indiana no longer kills people

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Crystal Skull doesn't count

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I have not seen any of the Indiana Jones movies, don't know how I managed that.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

Crystal Skull doesn't count

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shifty Nipples posted:

They're almost as good as the The Mummy movies. :mmmhmm:

e: I just remembered there was an Indiana Jones TV series but by the time it came out I was too old to really give a poo poo.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 18:57 on Apr 3, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shifty Nipples posted:

Its fine, to get caught up all you need to do is watch Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye and youll be all caught up on why everybody loves the series.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

kazil posted:

The Last Crusade is better than Raiders though.

Just watched it again to confirm my initial take that this is horseshit: I was right. Raiders is so much better it’s not true. Better villains, better love interest, better music, better action set pieces and the Ark, front and centre with it’s spooky theme and sense of otherworldly power vs a cup of Alka Seltzer that appears in the last five minutes of the movie.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Torquemada posted:

Just watched it again to confirm my initial take that this is horseshit: I was right. Raiders is so much better it’s not true. Better villains, better love interest, better music, better action set pieces and the Ark, front and centre with it’s spooky theme and sense of otherworldly power vs a cup of Alka Seltzer that appears in the last five minutes of the movie.

A treasure hunt where the treasure is only found at the very end? Horrible!

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

A treasure hunt where the treasure is only found at the very end? Horrible!
don't sign your posts

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Elizabethan Error posted:

don't sign your posts

If you read them all you'll find

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Torquemada posted:

Nazi chick way hotter sorry

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Torquemada posted:

Counterpoint: in Last Crusade, Indy's moved on to banging college students instead of 15-year-olds.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Milo and POTUS posted:

Nazi chick way hotter sorry

Hotter, but a worse actress, zero snappy dialogue and no agency.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Besesoth posted:

Counterpoint: in Last Crusade, Indy's moved on to banging college students instead of 15-year-olds.

Uh he only bangs nazi Grace Kelly in Crusade.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Torquemada posted:

Uh he only bangs nazi Grace Kelly in Crusade.

The inspiration for Frozen

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I really like the 'commies using alien mind control' stuff in Crystal Skull. It totally fits the pulp adventure genre, since it's an actual conspiracy theory following on from Nazis using biblical artifacts to gain mystical powers. Most of the cast turn in pretty good performances too. Unfortunately, Shia LaBoeuf is awful and eats up the majority of screen time, some of the cgi perils (like the ants and the swinging on vines nonsense) look atrocious, and the set pieces and physical action sequences aren't as ambitious or interesting as previous instalments.

I don't hate it or anything and wouldn't complain if I had to watch it again.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

"Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine" was hot, squirty garbage. "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis" was good, though.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Hyperlynx posted:

"Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine" was hot, squirty garbage. "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis" was good, though.

Did Fate of Atlantis have voice acting or have I populated my own memories of it with spoken version of the lines I read?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

e: I just remembered there was an Indiana Jones TV series but by the time it came out I was too old to really give a poo poo.

My dad and I used to watch these when I was a kid - The Young Indiana Jones something. I enjoyed them then, but I don’t know if they’ve stood the test of time.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Memento posted:

Did Fate of Atlantis have voice acting or have I populated my own memories of it with spoken version of the lines I read?

It did! Man I need to replay FoA again. It's good poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I learned English with Fate of Atlantis and Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge, so they'll always have a special place in my heart. My dad and I spent hours upon hours with those games, him painstakingly translating every word for me, often using a dictionary. Good times.