Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Khablam posted:

The elephant in the room of the new map, is Bluehole's garbage netcode completely breaks down for the first 5minutes of every round. Watching shroud play the map and repeatedly die when no one has line of sight on him is pretty telling.
I know the base game gets bad (250-300ms fire lag) but it seems noticably worse on the new map with all the extra people.

Watching my inventory be 30 second delayed is also pretty fuckin' bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.
About a month ago I got bored of this poo poo and pretty annoyed with playing miramar and stopped playing, but I'm kind of curious - is map selection a thing yet?

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

Fuzz1111 posted:

About a month ago I got bored of this poo poo and pretty annoyed with playing miramar and stopped playing, but I'm kind of curious - is map selection a thing yet?

No

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

VulgarandStupid posted:

The map is good, really good. I think they need to add a little ambient sound back in, right now its too easy to camp and have godlike hearing.

I'm starting to think this is the only major change to the new map necessary. The decreased ambience works on Erangel/Miramar due to the longer engagement distances which straight up don't exist on this map. Either halving the footstep distance or putting significant 'jungle' noise over top would help. Besides that I'm liking this map more and more.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Hiding, avoiding fights, and playing the edge of the circle is definitely the way to go if you want to win. It is just boring as gently caress. I'm pretty sure anyone can break into the top 1k just by doing that strategy.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

The Wonder Weapon posted:

You may or may not be talented at clicking on guys, but your general stance on this couldn't be more wrong. Given PubG's mechanics, if your singular goal is to last as long as possible, you should avoid all other players as much as possible.

Your singular goal should be to win. Winning involves a good mix of being really good at killing people AND surviving. You can do both. You don't need to be a bushman to win. If you are always a bushman you most likely suck at killing people, which means when it's the final 5 you are going to lose.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
It's almost like everyone is playing a challenge where they have to engage in combat.

Speaking of challenge games, I've only ever seen one pacifist ascension chicken dinner. We've also seen the cars-only, though I'm not sure if anyone got a dinner that way. Any other interesting challenges people have seen?

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

You may or may not be talented at clicking on guys, but your general stance on this couldn't be more wrong. Given PubG's mechanics, if your singular goal is to last as long as possible, you should avoid all other players as much as possible.

This is all well and good until you're in the top 10 with zero kills, level 1 gear, and an SMG against multiple people who have been able to kill their way into level 3 gear, an AR, and a sniper rifle with a decent scope. You'll be so disadvantaged that you being able to make it that far won't count for much since now you are actually going to have to fight people if you're going for the #1 spot.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.
Well.... You seem happy.

Have any of the other up and coming PC-based BR games actually got any traction then?

All I've heard of with these kind of games lately is people going nuts over the mobile version of this and fortnite, as well as cunts sooking about people using keyboard and mouse playing PUBG on Android (and I've seen a lot of that actually - you'd swear that they didn't want an authentic PUBG experience on their phones).

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Its also possible to be really good at shooting and also really good at hiding.\

Also generally I notice the people with the best gear tend to be the ones that ran off into the middle of nowhere and hid/looted all game.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Stealthgerbil posted:

Hiding, avoiding fights, and playing the edge of the circle is definitely the way to go if you want to win. It is just boring as gently caress. I'm pretty sure anyone can break into the top 1k just by doing that strategy.

People who take cover to avoid getting shot in a firefight are pussies.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

one time a guy in game was talking poo poo about my random squad dropping pochinki or something, he was like "I know how to win guys, you stay away from people you don't do anything blah blah, so we won pochinki and I checked his stats and he had something like 10 wins in 1500 games and a .03 kda. In the end I made it into the top 5 for my squad with a few kills he spent most of the game playing catch up with the circle getting shot in the face by the first person he saw when he ran in from outside the blue. I'm not a good player but I'm pretty happy with my ~100 or so wins in 1200 games and >1.0 kda without playing like a bitch.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

He is still right though, hiding all game is the best way to win. Every encounter you have lowers your chances of winning. Sure its boring as gently caress but there is nothing wrong with hiding all game, looting up, and then shooting the last guy in the back. It doesn't mean the player automatically has no skill either. Its just the way they choose to play.

Also I firmly believe that if you want to get good at PUBG, go play CSGO instead.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.
The new map has rain and thunder sounds which adds a lot to the experience.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

It's almost like everyone is playing a challenge where they have to engage in combat.

Speaking of challenge games, I've only ever seen one pacifist ascension chicken dinner. We've also seen the cars-only, though I'm not sure if anyone got a dinner that way. Any other interesting challenges people have seen?

Two seasons ago now we got a cars only chicken dinner. Ran over the second to last squad because they were being bushwookies on the edge of the third to last circle, and the last guy was trapped in a house in Gatka but too terrified of a bunch of unarmed dudes in cars to either shoot at us or come out until the blue pushed him out.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Stealthgerbil posted:

He is still right though, hiding all game is the best way to win. Every encounter you have lowers your chances of winning. Sure its boring as gently caress but there is nothing wrong with hiding all game, looting up, and then shooting the last guy in the back. It doesn't mean the player automatically has no skill either. Its just the way they choose to play.

I think this is true only if you assume that everyone you're playing with is of about equal skill, it makes sense in the big tournaments when you see people mostly avoiding conflict because they are all good enough that if someone gets the drop on you you're dead, but I think that in reality when you're just queuing up and playing the game with other normal people you're far more likely to win if you don't just hide all game and become someones healing item and ammo replenishment.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

A friend of mine has a few naked chicken dinners. Only grabs guns, usually the first AR and backup he finds and then nothing else. I've seen a melee only as well.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Hiding all game is the best way to make top 10 but then not win. By avoiding fighting, you generally put yourself in a bad position or rather you are unable to take good positions from other players. You get forced in to a lot more disadvantageous places because of this. You almost always get caught between two enemies this way.

MysteriousStranger posted:

A friend of mine has a few naked chicken dinners. Only grabs guns, usually the first AR and backup he finds and then nothing else. I've seen a melee only as well.

Care to post his stats? I wonder if he even beats the average win rate (1% in solo)

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Any other interesting challenges people have seen?

I believe shroud has done a winchester only victory before.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Stealthgerbil posted:

Every encounter you have lowers your chances of winning.
Nobody is taking into account that winning an encounter greatly increases your chances of winning overall since you basically double your loot while wasting a minimal amount of time in comparison to running through a few dozen houses.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Why are we supposing that people who avoid fighting can't fight? Relatedly, the caveat of shooting if you've got the advantage is really a big difference vs following the zone passively

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Jack B Nimble posted:

Why are we supposing that people who avoid fighting can't fight? Relatedly, the caveat of shooting if you've got the advantage is really a big difference vs following the zone passively

Check the KDR of the people advocating hiding all game. Hell, check their win rate too. There's a big difference between "have won games" at a near or sub average rate, which can probably be attributed to dumb luck or low level matchmaking and people who regularly win a large percentage of their games.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 4, 2018

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

VulgarandStupid posted:

Check the KDR of the people advocating hiding all game. Hell, check their win rate too.

seriously this, it seems like anyone who's ever advocated for dropping ratka and hiding from people all game the reason they're doing it is because they are bad. Not because they know when to avoid a fight and when to engage. You can win matches any way at all. I've won matches with shotguns, with 0 kills, whatever, but if your goal is to win more matches most of the people who win often aren't playing bush wookie most of their games.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Hiding all game is the best way to make top 10 but then not win. By avoiding fighting, you generally put yourself in a bad position or rather you are unable to take good positions from other players. You get forced in to a lot more disadvantageous places because of this. You almost always get caught between two enemies this way.

Care to post his stats? I wonder if he even beats the average win rate (1% in solo)

Not especially and I know his win rate is poo poo. He doesn't really care about that and is solidly casual, it just makes the game more interesting for him to play and gets him more funny moments to make videos for.

Between the rampant cheating (not fixable in a game like this), Chinese players, lovely netcode + tick rate, and just general bugs I think a lot of people are coping with their frustration and anger with the game by playing it in ways that are amusing to them. Either that or get poo poo faced before you play. Or hell, why not both~

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
ambush predator is absolutely fine as long as you start ambushing before the final circle so you get some loot

shoot people in the back after they run past you hiding in the grass every day

also ok: hiding outside a building while they finish looting and then shooting them when they leave

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

MysteriousStranger posted:

Between the rampant cheating (not fixable in a game like this), Chinese players, lovely netcode + tick rate, and just general bugs I think a lot of people are coping with their frustration and anger with the game by playing it in ways that are amusing to them. Either that or get poo poo faced before you play. Or hell, why not both~

The game is certainly not without problems, but I believe that the avoidance/hiding playstyle is going to lead to even more frustration long term. Because of the way the MMR system works, you will constantly be pushed into stiffer and stiffer competition as you play more games. So you can hide your way to your top 10 finishes and accelerate that climb in match making ratings, or you can just try to keep brawling it out. In one of these situations, you improve your ability to fight at a rapid rate and in one of them, you don't. To be clear, I do occasionally run away from fights where I'm disadvantaged or straight up being out shot, and I often hold my fire on enemies that don't see me, especially if I'm not in the white circle yet.

I mean, in season 2, I felt like I was getting worse in the game because I was going for placements and when it came time to fight, I'd choke. If anything its more frustrating to have sat around for 30 minutes just to choke than it is to kill 3 dudes and die on the 4th early on.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
The matchmaking thing is constantly overstated. You really don't get matched with primarily highly rated players when your own rating is high. As I've said before, in my experience, there pretty much are two brackets: (1) fresh and/or absolutely terrible and (2) not-fresh.

Also, you don't need to kill people to be geared well enough for the final ten. You just need to know where in relation to the flight path you need to gently caress off to at the start of the game. Doing so is mind-numbing, though. I would know...

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

If you kill someone you get their guns, attachments, ammo and gear. Also they're dead and can't kill you anymore.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

VulgarandStupid posted:

The game is certainly not without problems, but I believe that the avoidance/hiding playstyle is going to lead to even more frustration long term. Because of the way the MMR system works, you will constantly be pushed into stiffer and stiffer competition as you play more games. So you can hide your way to your top 10 finishes and accelerate that climb in match making ratings, or you can just try to keep brawling it out. In one of these situations, you improve your ability to fight at a rapid rate and in one of them, you don't. To be clear, I do occasionally run away from fights where I'm disadvantaged or straight up being out shot, and I often hold my fire on enemies that don't see me, especially if I'm not in the white circle yet.

I mean, in season 2, I felt like I was getting worse in the game because I was going for placements and when it came time to fight, I'd choke. If anything its more frustrating to have sat around for 30 minutes just to choke than it is to kill 3 dudes and die on the 4th early on.

I agree that you should always be deathmatching in any FPS game you play because at core any FPS game is about winning your encounters. If you don't win your shootouts no amount of strategy in the world is going to help you. And long term you are only ever as good of a death matcher as you are that's your skill limit not bullshit tactics and plans.

But, most people aren't good at FPS games and most people just want to have fun. This game is way more fun if you don't take it all that seriously, and the massive issues it suffers from compound that problem. They need to fix their poo poo first and foremost.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

cargohills posted:

If you kill someone you get their guns, attachments, ammo and gear. Also they're dead and can't kill you anymore.

You also run the risk of dying or using up a ton of ammo or medical supplies and end up being in a worse position then when you started. Unless of course you are a shooting god like me and kill everyone with a double tap to the head :P

For most people, taking a fight can go either way. Like obviously you should only be shooting people when you are certain you will win but thats definitely not going to happen every time.

Anyway if you want to really have fun just jump pochinki or hacienda every game. Either you die instantly or you get 5 kills before you leave the first town. Its the most fun.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
I have a 5% win rate in duos and 11% in squads and hiding is cool and good sometimes because it lets me alt tab the game

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

VulgarandStupid posted:

If anything its more frustrating to have sat around for 30 minutes just to choke than it is to kill 3 dudes and die on the 4th early on.

I 100% agree with this.
Relatedly, If I drop in a big spot that is somehow empty and say " well, I'll wait here and kill whoever shows up" the waiting itself starts to get to me. I swear to god I start to feel like I'm in a horror game, roaming a house I have to keep reassuring myself is empty, watching the kill feed and the dwindling player count and always saying "eh, I'll wait here another minute" .

Its not a trap I fall into often but any time I do I regret it all over again. Optimal or not I feel better moving, advancing, proceeding. I find I do much, much better in a stressful game if I always have a "next step", something both positive and manageable I can pursue without stopping(not counting brief pauses like a deer at a road) is a very dangerous place for me, mentally, in a game like pubg.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 4, 2018

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?

Lex Neville posted:

The matchmaking thing is constantly overstated. You really don't get matched with primarily highly rated players when your own rating is high. As I've said before, in my experience, there pretty much are two brackets: (1) fresh and/or absolutely terrible and (2) not-fresh.

I know it's anecdotal as hell but whenever my buddies and I get back into this game after every season we play (and win) until we end up in the top 1-2% based on the in game leaderboards and then have to stop because every game past that point demands nearly perfect play for the whole match because the people we end up coming across are legit really good.

Those first 10 games immediately after the post season reset are super delicious because the people are just so bad.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
I do a single game on Asia once a month to get 20 kills and remind myself that people are legitimately really bad at the game

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Doorknob Slobber posted:

seriously this, it seems like anyone who's ever advocated for dropping ratka and hiding from people all game the reason they're doing it is because they are bad. Not because they know when to avoid a fight and when to engage. You can win matches any way at all. I've won matches with shotguns, with 0 kills, whatever, but if your goal is to win more matches most of the people who win often aren't playing bush wookie most of their games.

How good you are isn't a factor in what the optimal strategy is. If the enemy can't hit the broad side of a barn you can roll your face on the keyboard and win, but it doesn't mean that rolling your face on the keyboard is a good strategy.

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Truly the corgiest of goodposts

Lemming posted:

How good you are isn't a factor in what the optimal strategy is. If the enemy can't hit the broad side of a barn you can roll your face on the keyboard and win, but it doesn't mean that rolling your face on the keyboard is a good strategy.

That is a revolutionary thought. Do you think it could be applied to sports?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

cyanidewolf posted:

That is a revolutionary thought. Do you think it could be applied to sports?

Tell that to the people in the thread bristling at the thought of a boring playstyle being effective

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

double post

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I can confirm that hiding all the time does not lead to actually winning much. My IRL friends tend to be very cowardly in this game, and as such most of them are not great at shooting people before they get shot. We tend towards a 10-15% win rate purely because there's only so many games I can win solo. That and I start making dumb plays because I get bored.

The hiding really shows in just the K/D of my small group also. All of them tend to sit around a 1 K/D, with 100-150 ADR. And even though I only play with them, by being far more aggressive I end up closer to 2.5-3 K/D and 300-400 ADR.

What Lex Neville said about MMR is true though, the difference between top 20% and top .5% in terms of matchmaking is almost nothing. As long as you are not so terrible that you actually climb up from the baseline, maybe win 1 game or place in top10 a bit, your MMR is going to go up. And because the matchmaking is so loose in this game, it doesn't take much to start getting matched against the top players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Your singular goal should be to win. Winning involves a good mix of being really good at killing people AND surviving. You can do both. You don't need to be a bushman to win. If you are always a bushman you most likely suck at killing people, which means when it's the final 5 you are going to lose.

Fano posted:

This is all well and good until you're in the top 10 with zero kills, level 1 gear, and an SMG against multiple people who have been able to kill their way into level 3 gear, an AR, and a sniper rifle with a decent scope. You'll be so disadvantaged that you being able to make it that far won't count for much since now you are actually going to have to fight people if you're going for the #1 spot.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

one time a guy in game was talking poo poo about my random squad dropping pochinki or something, he was like "I know how to win guys, you stay away from people you don't do anything blah blah, so we won pochinki and I checked his stats and he had something like 10 wins in 1500 games and a .03 kda. In the end I made it into the top 5 for my squad with a few kills he spent most of the game playing catch up with the circle getting shot in the face by the first person he saw when he ran in from outside the blue. I'm not a good player but I'm pretty happy with my ~100 or so wins in 1200 games and >1.0 kda without playing like a bitch.

All three of you are mostly correct, and also ascribing more meaning to my post than was intended. Lemming (correctly) said the best way to reach the late game is to avoid all confrontations and hide. VulgarandStupid disagreed, which is what I was declaring incorrect. In a free-for-all game of this nature, if your singular goal is to last as long as possible, you should hide and avoid fights as much as possible. This strategy also has the consequence of positioning you quite poorly to actually win rounds, though.

Overall, hiding the whole time is boring, doesn't help you improve, and is generally not fun. But if all you want to do is place highly, there's no arguing its effective.

That all said, I'm sure that your best bet for actually scoring chicken dinners is a blend of the "always hide" and "always shoot." The reason that bush people are bad at the game is because they've never gone through the grinder to get good at pulling triggers. If someone who's actually good at the game and knows how to handle an engagement employed that strategy, they could probably rack up an excellent win percentage. If you can consistently score an AR and level 2 gear in the first few minutes and then hide until the top 5, you're putting yourself in really good position to win a lot of games. You're not putting yourself in the middle of fights that don't do much to improve your likelihood to win, while still having enough gear/skill to be capable of killing the last opponent.