Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Elysiume posted:

nobody in my group is accustomed to thinking in yards*

Just pretend it says "metre" instead of "yard," it's close enough not to make a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Just pretend it says "metre" instead of "yard," it's close enough not to make a difference.

Elysiume posted:

*: except for the one of us that uses metric
We don't use meters either

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by a 5' grid - why not make it a 1 yard grid instead so each square is a game tile? There's still something I'm missing - where does a 5' square come up that you need to express it as 2x2? There's no universe where increments of 5 are simpler to express than increments of 1. (Why are you assuming 1 yard is 3 feet anyway? These are fantasy yards they can be as long as you want, just say they're 5 feet if you're stressing out over some pre-printed grid paper.) The in-game unit is still 1/tile, that's the important thing.
You can and should represent everything in units of 1. My problems are kinda twofold

1. A yard is not very big at all, so a larger area needs more of them than it would 5' squares. (That was the admittedly inexact conversion above.) This makes my maps big.
2. The characters' movement rates are very high, as are ranges. This also makes my maps big.

Now in practice, I'm using zones, so whatever. But this has been a deterrent to trying out the grid.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
This is why the US will never switch to metric.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Fah. Thou shoudlst use rods and furlongs for thy measures.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Obviously a yard is the length from the Demon Lord's shoulder to the end of his middle finger.

Yards in SotDL are the size of a football field, people are just really fast and REALLY protective of their personal space.

(For obvious reasons given all the nastiness. :v: )

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

dwarf74 posted:

You can and should represent everything in units of 1. My problems are kinda twofold

1. A yard is not very big at all, so a larger area needs more of them than it would 5' squares. (That was the admittedly inexact conversion above.) This makes my maps big.
2. The characters' movement rates are very high, as are ranges. This also makes my maps big.

Now in practice, I'm using zones, so whatever. But this has been a deterrent to trying out the grid.

How much would it screw up/require futzing if you just divided Speed and ranges and so on by two to find "squares moved" and so on?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

That Old Tree posted:

How much would it screw up/require futzing if you just divided Speed and ranges and so on by two to find "squares moved" and so on?
...I could have sworn it didn't always work in increments of 2, but now that you mention it, I can't think of an example off the top of my head.

Regardless - as mentioned above, we're using Zones. I may houserule some stuff for our next game, but overall I'm digging it. SotDL seems like a game where precisely-placed fireballs shouldn't be a thing.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

dwarf74 posted:

I get this. I think 1 is solvable by changing your perspective a little, and 2 is a real issue. Basically, it seems you're figuring out how big a place is in real world distance, then dividing that into yards and sometimes getting things that require too much grid space. Instead, maybe try dividing a place into grid tiles as would make for a good scene/fight, and worry about the Real Size of the place independently. It's totally valid to say, on this map a yard is 2 feet and on this one it's 6 feet because that is what will create the narrative tension I want. I now genuinely wish they left them unitless so this could be more explicit instead of using a name that unfortunately has real world meaning. The rules aren't supposed to be the physics of the world, just a way for the humans to resolve what happens, playing with what a grid tile means shouldn't stretch verisimilitude too far.

But like I said, 2 is an issue. Being able to move many tiles and attack from many tiles away will generally push you towards bigger maps. Fixing that would require thought for sure.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, I just did a real bad job of explaining myself while phone-posting. Sorry 'bout that. :shobon:

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

I get this. I think 1 is solvable by changing your perspective a little, and 2 is a real issue. Basically, it seems you're figuring out how big a place is in real world distance, then dividing that into yards and sometimes getting things that require too much grid space. Instead, maybe try dividing a place into grid tiles as would make for a good scene/fight, and worry about the Real Size of the place independently. It's totally valid to say, on this map a yard is 2 feet and on this one it's 6 feet because that is what will create the narrative tension I want. I now genuinely wish they left them unitless so this could be more explicit instead of using a name that unfortunately has real world meaning. The rules aren't supposed to be the physics of the world, just a way for the humans to resolve what happens, playing with what a grid tile means shouldn't stretch verisimilitude too far.

Yeah, I haven't gotten to try SOTDL yet but when running 4e I've found that trying to make the grid size consistent will really screw you if you try to run, say, a bar fight at the same resolution you'd use for people fighting outdoors

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
But how many chains to the hogshead? How many barleycorns can I move in a turn?

Serf posted:

I had been running Strike for years when I started running SotDL and when drawing a map for one of the published adventures one of my players informed me that the bar I had drawn for this isolated forest tavern was about 60 feet long.

As a soon to be first time DM who is kinda bad with distance IRL, this is the kind of thing that makes me anxious.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

my isolated forest tavern would totally have a 60 foot bar cut from a single trunk

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
it's fine, there's a chain of peasants who use free actions to instantly pass drinks up and down the bar

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Do you know if a target of a spell is fully affected, particularly for spells like Question with no visual component, but also for spells in general? That is, can you tell if they succeed their challenge roll or you fail your attack roll? In Pathfinder you can tell for single-target spells but not for multi-target spells, and I can't find an analogous rule in SotDL.

If someone casts a spell, can other characters recognize the spell being cast?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Hollandia posted:

As a soon to be first time DM who is kinda bad with distance IRL, this is the kind of thing that makes me anxious.

Don't sweat it. Like most little gently caress ups, it was more funny than anything else.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

my isolated forest tavern would totally have a 60 foot bar cut from a single trunk

Yeah, this actually sounds like a rad place to start. One of those Norse longhouse style buildings with an open fire pit in the center and a gallows tree on the grounds?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Elysiume posted:

Do you know if a target of a spell is fully affected, particularly for spells like Question with no visual component, but also for spells in general? That is, can you tell if they succeed their challenge roll or you fail your attack roll? In Pathfinder you can tell for single-target spells but not for multi-target spells, and I can't find an analogous rule in SotDL.

If someone casts a spell, can other characters recognize the spell being cast?

I would assume that you would know if your spell was successful because the GM and the player would know what numbers were rolled and whether they were high enough. If the question is in-character, two of the general requirements for casting a spell are Speak the Words and Wield the Implement. This can be as evident or subtle as you and the GM agree, but I think spellcasting is supposed to be relatively obvious.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Serf posted:

I would assume that you would know if your spell was successful because the GM and the player would know what numbers were rolled and whether they were high enough. If the question is in-character, two of the general requirements for casting a spell are Speak the Words and Wield the Implement. This can be as evident or subtle as you and the GM agree, but I think spellcasting is supposed to be relatively obvious.
The players would definitely know, it was a question about whether the characters know. Some of them are obvious (Minor Paradox), but for others where it's just more damage/ailments, it's not necessarily immediately obvious if they made their saves. For Question in particular, if the GM doesn't reveal the target's will, the caster can't be sure if the spell landed or not.

I phrased the second question ambiguously--should've said "can other characters recognize which spell is being cast."

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Recently one of my players was attempted abducted by a gang of orcs (he got one wish from a faerie queen after boning her, and of course wanted to be considered the holiest thing imaginable to orcs), led by a spellcaster with Hex tradition.

Since it was a baleful magic and would generally harm those directed at, I opted to make the implement appear threatening and emitting bad, reddish juju in the direction of the victims. That's not saying too much, but hinting at what is going on.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
I ran a game last night which was about a village in the Northern Reach where travellers have occasionally disappeared and the Imperial Secret Service sent the PCs to find out what is up, because sending cavalry patrols hadn't given any results. On the outskirts of the village, the PCs discover a pit full of gnawed human bones. Villagers are friendly and talk about how there's bandits in the woods and speculate that they're probably the culprits. PCs hunt down the bandits and have a short fight with them, interrogating the prisoners and finding out that they weren't the ones eating people.

Villagers throw a feast for the players, in the middle of the feast some of them start turning into monsters and start chowing down on their families and friends. The goblin rogue discovered a demonic altar that the village barber had in his house, they track down the barber and find him with a group of beastmen, fight ensues but the beastmen don't care about protecting the barber and just gently caress off. At the end of the adventure, the entire village is dead, and the only survivors are the four bandits who the players let go.

"That's SotDL" is like :xcom: for elfgames.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Kemper Boyd posted:

"That's SotDL" is like :xcom: for elfgames.

:ohdear:

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

I foresee a shining future in the Inquisition for those PC's :). Maybe next time they'll hit a 100% kill rate, practice makes perfect.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Antilles posted:

I foresee a shining future in the Inquisition for those PC's :). Maybe next time they'll hit a 100% kill rate, practice makes perfect.

There's a grand total of one religious PC and they're a witch. So secular career options are probably better.

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

Kemper Boyd posted:

There's a grand total of one religious PC and they're a witch. So secular career options are probably better.

Yeah, I wasn't seriously suggesting you try to recruit them to an Inquisitor's entourage, it was more a comment on how they seem to be pretty down with the whole purge the unclean/heretics. Even without a skull mask they're doing the New God's work, and doing it fairly well.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Tias posted:

Recently one of my players was attempted abducted by a gang of orcs (he got one wish from a faerie queen after boning her, and of course wanted to be considered the holiest thing imaginable to orcs), led by a spellcaster with Hex tradition.

Since it was a baleful magic and would generally harm those directed at, I opted to make the implement appear threatening and emitting bad, reddish juju in the direction of the victims. That's not saying too much, but hinting at what is going on.
Sounds like it's up to the GM, then. I like the idea of just hinting at it, without explicitly telling them what it is. Maybe if they actually know the tradition I'd just explicitly tell them, and maybe get a roll to identify the spell. Maybe with a number of boons/banes equal to the difference between their power and the spell's rank.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Oh no, yards, waaagh. Did you people ever exchange currencies in old warhammer fantasy?

(My maps in roll 20 just say 1 sq. = 1 square)

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
This might be of interest to some of you.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/cc/18/Disciples-of-the-Demon-Lord?affiliate_id=41076

quote:

Welcome to the Shadow of the Demon Lord Creative Community!
Looking for more ways to fight the Demon Lord? Desperate to explore new parts of Rûl, uncover mysteries, encounter strangeness that will drive you insane? Then this place is for you! The Disciples of the Demon Lord is a digital platform for creating self-published adventure content for Shadow of the Demon Lord. As a creator, you can share your content free of charge, set a price that feels right for you, or choose a pay-what-you-want option.

What kind of content can I find here?

The Disciples of the Demon Lord program enables creators to produce adventure content for Shadow of the Demon Lord. Such content includes adventures, places to explore, and foes to fight. If you’re looking for the next great story to vex your groups, you’re bound to find it here.

For a complete list of what is and isn’t allowed in Disciples of the Demon Lord, review our content guidelines here.

How do I start publishing content?
Get started by reading over the Disciples of the Demon Lord Content Guidelines. We’ve made layout templates available to make creating easier for you, and to ensure all Disciples of the Demon Lord content meets our specifications.

After creating your title, visit the account page and look in the “My Content” section. There you will find the link “Add a new title.” You must agree to the Community Content Agreement in order to upload a new title.

After publication, all Disciples of the Demon Lord content is available here. Check sales history, view reviews and fan discussions of your work, and book royalties through PayPal. We give you a few pointers on how to publicize your product and ensure that it hits the right tone our fans expect.

Revenue for Disciples of the Demon Lord content is split between you, OneBookShelf (the company that manages DriveThruRPG), and Schwalb Entertainment. You take half of the profits and we divide the rest between us and OneBookShelf as the Demon Lord demands.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Oh holy poo poo that's awesome. I was just talking to my buddy last night about how I should write up a trashy fantasy novel of our last campaign.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
That looks pretty cool! Shame you can't publish alternate settings, I'd really like to adapt my trashy fantasy setting into SotDL's ruleset.

Serf
May 5, 2011

ZorajitZorajit posted:

That looks pretty cool! Shame you can't publish alternate settings, I'd really like to adapt my trashy fantasy setting into SotDL's ruleset.

I reckon you could contact Rob. Mists of Akuma was allowed to use the SotDL engine, and there is a long-delayed other setting for the game that may never actually be finished. I think it's one of those things where you just need his approval.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Why does the casts-per-day table in the magic section have power up to 10? Unless I missed something, it looked like the maximum power is 5. Magician: +1 at 1, +1 at 5; warlock: +1 at 3, +1 at 9; chronomancer: +1 at 7 (or whatever combination you want). I know that higher than rank 5 spells exist outside core, but are players supposed to be boosting their power from elsewhere to be able to cast those spells?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Elysiume posted:

Why does the casts-per-day table in the magic section have power up to 10? Unless I missed something, it looked like the maximum power is 5. Magician: +1 at 1, +1 at 5; warlock: +1 at 3, +1 at 9; chronomancer: +1 at 7 (or whatever combination you want). I know that higher than rank 5 spells exist outside core, but are players supposed to be boosting their power from elsewhere to be able to cast those spells?

You can bargain with Devils to get to Power 6, and the level 10+ rules in Forbidden Rules give you the ability to go above that up to 10.

But really it was just future-proofing for Occult Philosophy, the next big KS which will have expanded 10+ rules, 800 or so spells and a ton of other stuff.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Antagonists can have any power they want, as well. Some of those higher level spells might be best in the hands of an enemy, or a well-meaning NPC who doesn't know what he's wrought.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Serf posted:

800 or so spells

Finally, a system that gives spellcasters the narrative options they deserve.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

Finally, a system that gives spellcasters the narrative options they deserve.

From what I can tell, most of these spells are still going to be combat-oriented fare. Some of them can have narrative effects, but true to Shadow of the Demon Lord, awesome power has awesome drawbacks.

quote:

drat THE DEATH FATHER NECROMANCY UTILITY 10
Area: A cube of space, 5 miles on a side, originating from a point you can see
Duration: One year and one day

Gloom spreads through the area, rendering everything in black and white for the duration. When a mortal creature dies in the area, its soul is prevented from moving to the Underworld or Hell and emerges from its body. Roll a d6. The soul becomes an apparition on a 1–5 or a phantom on a 6.

As well, the necromantic energies cause the corpse to stand up and become undead 1d6 minutes after death. Roll a d6. The corpse becomes an animated corpse on a 1– 5 or a zombie on a 6.

Aftereffect: You must get a success on a Strength challenge roll with 5 banes or take 10d6 damage. If the damage causes you to become incapacitated, Father Death appears in a space within 1 yard of you, fetches your soul, and delivers it personally to Hell.

In addition, you must get a success on a Will challenge roll with 5 banes or take a –1d6 penalty to Power. At the end of each week, the penalty drops by 1 until it reaches 0.

Permanence: If you cast this spell on the same area for ten consecutive years, the effect becomes permanent.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Serf posted:

From what I can tell, most of these spells are still going to be combat-oriented fare. Some of them can have narrative effects, but true to Shadow of the Demon Lord, awesome power has awesome drawbacks.

Yeah this is the one I had in mind for antagonists...my players sure as poo poo aren't gonna spend 10 years at level 20 casting this poo poo but the hosed up necromancer dude they track down to his hideaway sure is.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Serf posted:

You can bargain with Devils to get to Power 6, and the level 10+ rules in Forbidden Rules give you the ability to go above that up to 10.

But really it was just future-proofing for Occult Philosophy, the next big KS which will have expanded 10+ rules, 800 or so spells and a ton of other stuff.

There are also multiple already published Relics that can boost player Power above 5, such as the main MacGuffin from the Tales of the Demon Lord campaign, or the Blade of Secrets from Uncertain Faith.

Serf posted:

Yeah, from the playtesting documents I've read it doesn't look like most casters are going to get too buck wild until magic starts getting to "plot device" status, which appears to be the 7+ range (and even then the majority of the spells are still combat-centric). The way Traditions and learning/casting spells works also means that even if you have more narrative affecting spells you're generally not having most magic users going quadratic (though players can spec to go more that way late via Wizard/Tower Mage expert/master paths).

LGD fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 9, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Also I wonder how level 20 is gonna work. Are there gonna be 3+ whole new kinds of paths, will you take a second expert/master path, or what? Maybe extend the current ones? They can't exactly continue exponentially branch out the choices without a gazillion page book.

I'm kinda guessing one new expert path, one new master path, and an "immortal" path, perhaps with some that supplant your additional path. Hard to say though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Serf posted:

Ah, ok. About how many new choices do you expect non-casters to get?