Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

The log scale graph for price in the IEEE paper is disappointing on it's own, but it makes sense to show the difficulty on a log scale and then to have the price on a log scale for comparison.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Mark Karpeles (of mtgox fame) is doing an AMA on reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/89o16y/im_mark_karpel%C3%A8s_exceo_of_bankrupt_mtgox_ask_me/

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

lol

“If I trade cryptocurrency again, I am not human.”

same

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

quote:

Do you have any recommendations for users to keep their coins safe from hacks?

quote:

As to storing coins safely, I'd say a hardware wallet, however a lot of care is required in avoiding compromised hardware. Using multiple hardware wallets from multiple vendors in a multisig configuration would probably be the safest at this point.

ah, cool

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

help i can't get my coins from my multisig wallet

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
What did he even do? Destroy transactions?

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

ilmucche posted:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ilmucche posted:

He irrevocably killed a contract that a bunch of coins flat-out needed to be able to be transferred. That money still technically "exists" in the blockchain but no one can do anything with it so it's effectively lost. And it was worth several million at the time.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

univbee posted:

He irrevocably killed a contract that a bunch of coins flat-out needed to be able to be transferred. That money still technically "exists" in the blockchain but no one can do anything with it so it's effectively lost. And it was worth several million at the time.

So if I get my hands on some old coin that has a transaction history based on it I could gently caress over a lot of butters out of spite? Seems like a really bad design if so (but very buttcoin).

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Decius posted:

So if I get my hands on some old coin that has a transaction history based on it I could gently caress over a lot of butters out of spite?

Oh, hamburgers!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Decius posted:

So if I get my hands on some old coin that has a transaction history based on it I could gently caress over a lot of butters out of spite? Seems like a really bad design if so (but very buttcoin).

It wasn't all coins that were vulnerable, only the ones that tied themselves to this contract (I forget what it did).

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

"I don't want this. I don't want this billion dollars. "

Sure, Jan

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
The tl:dr is that eth is really loving stupid and broken and isn't worth more than $0

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
the eth programming language 'solidity' is hilariously terrible for something that _should_ be really sound mathematically

should have used Haskell :c00l:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

univbee posted:

And it was worth several million at the time.

a few hundred million

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

that's loving funny as poo poo

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
he's just an eth newbie.. just learning

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Number go down again.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Now that Lunar New Year and Spring have failed to push Bitcoin back towards the ATH what are Bitcoin people hoping for?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Razorwired posted:

Now that Lunar New Year and Spring have failed to push Bitcoin back towards the ATH what are Bitcoin people hoping for?

Probably Tether printing another 2 billion dollars to pump the price with.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

univbee posted:

It wasn't all coins that were vulnerable, only the ones that tied themselves to this contract (I forget what it did).

It was basically an online wallet with support for tiny apps within

Still, it was good for bitcoin and Ethereum
Because it removes money from the system so it actually raises the price... you can’t lose with crypto, bro

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Ha all you nocoiners worrying about the stock market impact of the tariff wars, btc is immune! i am protected

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Need a tarrif on Bitcoin to really make America great again, edge out those Chinese made bitcoins and get real americans making them.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Buttcoin keeps dangling around the $7000 mark like a small turd dangling just outside of my rear end in a top hat.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Razorwired posted:

uh. this isn't the year of the bull. 2018 is a dog market. read a book you loving imbecile.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
So Bitmain has an ASIC for Eth now. Wonder how that'll affect the price.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

OhFunny posted:

A lot of people are getting a lesson in the capital gains tax this year.

I spent an entire day looking up poo poo for reporting it and filling out the worksheets. I don't make enough to get taxed on capital gains, so all that work was really for nothing.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mozi posted:

the eth programming language 'solidity' is hilariously terrible for something that _should_ be really sound mathematically

should have used Haskell :c00l:

Agreed because functional programming languages are interesting from an academic level and put on a pedestal by a bunch of nerds but are useless in real world applications

Hmm what does that remind me of?

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

We're finally under 6600, perhaps number go down alot?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

WalletBeef posted:

We're finally under 6600, perhaps number go down alot?

even if number go to almost 0... number go up, eventually

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Moscow is good

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

John McAfee charges $105,000 per tweet to promote your ICO
“Individual tweets, whether created in Mr. McAfee’s voice or by the company whose products we are promoting, cost $105,000 per tweet,” writes the McAfee Crypto Team.
“Unless there are special circumstances we will do no more than seven tweets per promotion. This ensures that other projects and technologies will have a chance to use our services, since we limit promotional tweets to a max of two per day.”
That’s $105,000 per tweet, or $375 per character.

https://www.marketwatch.com/Story/john-mcafee-charges-105000-per-tweet-to-promote-your-ico-2018-04-03

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Risc1911 posted:

John McAfee charges $105,000 per tweet to promote your ICO
“Individual tweets, whether created in Mr. McAfee’s voice or by the company whose products we are promoting, cost $105,000 per tweet,” writes the McAfee Crypto Team.
“Unless there are special circumstances we will do no more than seven tweets per promotion. This ensures that other projects and technologies will have a chance to use our services, since we limit promotional tweets to a max of two per day.”
That’s $105,000 per tweet, or $375 per character.

https://www.marketwatch.com/Story/john-mcafee-charges-105000-per-tweet-to-promote-your-ico-2018-04-03

quote:

one of the biggest crypto bulls

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
would he tweet for McAfee Antivirus

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
So the Corsair "stop GPU abuse" video got copyright claimed by a German school shooter. Number go up?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
When is McAfee gonna chop off his cock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Isn't McAfee still wanted for doing a bunch of bath salts and murdering his neighbor in Belize?