Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sloober posted:

hopefully the update that brings this brings more events in general

after a point only wars really exist to spice things up

The galaxy is a big place, exploration and discovery really should be a game-long process, even if with different phases after mapping and surveying. There's a difference between "we know what this area looks like/have a general idea of how to develop it" and "people have thoroughly examined and classified the region to granular scientific detail".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

McSpanky posted:

The galaxy is a big place, exploration and discovery really should be a game-long process, even if with different phases after mapping and surveying. There's a difference between "we know what this area looks like/have a general idea of how to develop it" and "people have thoroughly examined and classified the region to granular scientific detail".
This ties into something that should have been in the game from the beginning - you should be able to research better scanners to put on your science ships so you can re-scan everything. AND/OR there should be two steps to it - a basic survey and an exhaustive survey; exhaustive takes five times as long but looks harder for anomalies and resources/science fountains.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I remember before Cherryh that science ships had a "science package" slot or somesuch, was anything done with that or was it some kind of placeholder that got discarded when support ship design became completely automated?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
When the game first came out it seemed like they wanted an emphasis on exploration, at least for the early game, and have people more involved in the process. But people kept complaining that they didn't want to pay that close attention to it and it eventually led to a tech to automat the process being added in. They then kept complaining to the point where it's now the second tech you can research if you want (and assuming you didn't just mod it in from the start).

Making exploration more Integral is easier said than done since just adding more stuff for people to read seems like a wasted effort if people don't want to read it and forcing people to backtrack just leads to more complaints.

They really need to focus on whether they want the game to be about running an empire on the macro level, or if they want you to play space archaeologist on Tau Ceti V.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This ties into something that should have been in the game from the beginning - you should be able to research better scanners to put on your science ships so you can re-scan everything. AND/OR there should be two steps to it - a basic survey and an exhaustive survey; exhaustive takes five times as long but looks harder for anomalies and resources/science fountains.
There definitely needs to be a second scanning pass stage of the game. My pet implementation would be being able to rescan any anomalyless planet if you have a higher scan rate than the last time it was scanned, with some events only ever triggering on the first scan and some others only triggering if it's a rescan. Also the thing someone said a while back about ships assisting research also triggering scan events through re-examining the data.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

McSpanky posted:

I remember before Cherryh that science ships had a "science package" slot or somesuch, was anything done with that or was it some kind of placeholder that got discarded when support ship design became completely automated?

There were a couple of special modules you could research if you were in contact with Curators, but they mostly just tweaked bonuses rather than changing anything drastic (and when 2.0 automated support ship design they were removed and/or changed to global modifiers).

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Splicer posted:

There definitely needs to be a second scanning pass stage of the game. My pet implementation would be being able to rescan any anomalyless planet if you have a higher scan rate than the last time it was scanned, with some events only ever triggering on the first scan and some others only triggering if it's a rescan. Also the thing someone said a while back about ships assisting research also triggering scan events through re-examining the data.

Endless Legend does this with one of the techs; lets you 're-search' ruins on the map. It's actually pretty nice way to do it

I have some issues with how strategics work in stellaris, mostly in that you can own 100 systems and 0 strategics, which seems incredibly wrong

Dallan Invictus posted:

There were a couple of special modules you could research if you were in contact with Curators, but they mostly just tweaked bonuses rather than changing anything drastic (and when 2.0 automated support ship design they were removed and/or changed to global modifiers).

yeah they all got rolled into empire modifiers and is one of the reasons i strike a deal w/ curators ASAP so i get those research options

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
So I was thinking a bit about dyson spheres. Currently you can't construct more than one dyson sphere, but if you have tiny, harmless tributaries, time and a LOT of minerals to throw around, could you construct a dyson sphere in a system bordering them, then gift the system and collect 250 extra energy from them while continuing construction on a new dyson sphere?

Alternatively with vassals: could you gift them the dyson sphere, construct another, then reclaim the system with the first sphere to have two at once?

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
Master Builders adding 3 tiles to Habitats? Oh hell yeah! Toss that into the beta update please.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

It's so weird watching habitats get nerfed, then nerfed, now buffed

Are you supposed to build a bunch? Are you supposed to ignore them? :shrug: stay tuned.

Paradox has such mixed feelings about megaprojects, I am not sure why they put them in the game if they are absolutely not ok with the player actually leveraging them in a playthrough. Only 1 science nexus or dyson sphere. They get blown up if enemies are in the system. No there's no perks to get around the limit. Additionally, you can only build 1 project at a time. On top of that they take most of the resources in your mineral store. After requiring perks and hundreds of years to research. At best you can speed up the rate they build through ascension perks and policies.

Stellaris: The game about exploration and exploitation of space, as imagined by a CPA

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Psychotic Weasel posted:

When the game first came out it seemed like they wanted an emphasis on exploration, at least for the early game, and have people more involved in the process. But people kept complaining that they didn't want to pay that close attention to it and it eventually led to a tech to automat the process being added in. They then kept complaining to the point where it's now the second tech you can research if you want (and assuming you didn't just mod it in from the start).

Making exploration more Integral is easier said than done since just adding more stuff for people to read seems like a wasted effort if people don't want to read it and forcing people to backtrack just leads to more complaints.

They really need to focus on whether they want the game to be about running an empire on the macro level, or if they want you to play space archaeologist on Tau Ceti V.
The issue with non-automated exploration is that past the very very early game is, again, a scaling thing. Early on it's very important to scan the right systems for targeted settling, but after that the fun-per-click drops off dramatically. Exploration is at its core "I wonder what's over there". At game start "over there" is the systems next to your homeworld. Then it's the clusters adjacent to your territory. Then it's... there isn't anything after that point, you're just filling in the gaps. Auto-exploration is vital for the last bit, but leaves the middle bit feeling kind if eh, since you're either going hands off or literally crippling yourself. Adding a drag-select or "explore this system and all systems adjacent to it" option (to complement, not replace full auto explore) would give you the same relative increase in knowledge per click, while still giving you the hands-on feel of game start exploration. Then add another type of exploration for the third stage, when looking at systems is no longer cutting it.

Also, hide hyperlanes that you haven't "seen" yet.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Literally just had the 3 adjacent systems to my homeworld populated by 1k power mining drones, an ether drake, and void clouds. Abandoned that one so fast my esc button is still smoking.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Literally just had the 3 adjacent systems to my homeworld populated by 1k power mining drones, an ether drake, and void clouds. Abandoned that one so fast my esc button is still smoking.
Shame you weren't playing life seeded. Did I say I hope the other red mobs get beneficial adjacency events like the marauders did? Because then that could have been an interesting game.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

In my most recent game I wiped out a clan of marauders. I got a message saying their survivors were going to attack one of my home systems. I rushed fleets halfway across my empire to meet them but nothing ever showed up.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

It's me, I'm the person who never bothers putting my science ships in auto explore, instead just queuing up 10 systems at a time to survey. I didn't realize I was "literally crippled" by this.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I woulda kept at it, drones aren't that terrible since they are laser fueled so you can punch above your weight if you gear for shields

Soylent Pudding posted:

In my most recent game I wiped out a clan of marauders. I got a message saying their survivors were going to attack one of my home systems. I rushed fleets halfway across my empire to meet them but nothing ever showed up.

i've never seen them show up and i've always mercilessly crushed marauder clans whenever i am able to

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sloober posted:

i've never seen them show up and i've always mercilessly crushed marauder clans whenever i am able to
They showed up for me once and my station was able to nuke them.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Sloober posted:

I woulda kept at it, drones aren't that terrible since they are laser fueled so you can punch above your weight if you gear for shields

Yeah, but why, when I could just restart and not have the hassle of waiting years for my home system to generate enough minerals to deal with it

feller
Jul 5, 2006

popewiles posted:

It's me, I'm the person who never bothers putting my science ships in auto explore, instead just queuing up 10 systems at a time to survey. I didn't realize I was "literally crippled" by this.

I also just shift-click a bunch, but I know my wrists hate me for it

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

set your galaxy to max AIs and you'll be out of stuff to explore within 30 years, neatly resolving the problem

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

popewiles posted:

I meant literally crippled in the real English actual literal use of both terms. If I don't speed research automatic exploration protocols (or use the mod) my wrist starts hurting real bad :(

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
I made a dense starting system mod because I liked the idea of that other guys dense galaxy mod but without the entire galaxy being dense: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1351845006

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008

Soylent Pudding posted:

I've never had this properly fire for me despite always getting the warning but a neighboring AI that took out the final sector of a marauder clan had a couple large stacks spawn in his core worlds the last game I played :shrug:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Exploring the systems around my homeworld, the systems I stand a chance of using and colonizing, is fun. Surveying random systems on the other side of the universe I'll never be able to use or care about is a lot less fun. Oh golly this system had an anomaly that gave +5 minerals, I guess that'll be a nice system for whoever claims it one day.

I really prefer the endless space model of exploring. No science leaders just scanner tech. You can only research anomalies you have the tech level to tackle and only see up to one level above them. You also tend to find much more useful stuff, it's not a flood of +2 minerals or +3 physics, it's key strategic resources, it's cool flavourful modifiers for planets that actually matter, and it's quite often one-time pickups that make it worth exploring deep into areas you don't plan on settling. A free ship, a cache of resources, a technology. The scale of the rewards make them always seem worth investigating.

But space resources don't really scale at all with the game. That +4 minerals asteroid in the early game is enough to make you decide to claim a system early because it's not got +10 potential minerals, which is huge when your income is like 20. But very soon your income is +100 minerals and that +4 seems below consideration, it's not an exciting find. In Stellaris the moment you get into the late early game most anomalies become unexciting. The problem I think is that anomaly research is gated via leader level, which has little to do with the time scale of the game. If they were instead gated by survey tech you could better pace out exploration and reward scales and have clear mid, early, and even late game things to probe and explore.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
This is not a new complaint, but the current starbase system essentially brings all* the micromanagement of planet tiles without the option to let sector governors handle things.

*I suppose if you ignore platforms and don't build the max level, it's only 10 tiles, so all of a small planet.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ulmont posted:

This is not a new complaint, but the current starbase system essentially brings all* the micromanagement of planet tiles without the option to let sector governors handle things.

*I suppose if you ignore platforms and don't build the max level, it's only 10 tiles, so all of a small planet.
And it is ridiculous that if you do not have a Trading Post or Anchorage already built, but have even 6 of them queued up, you cannot build the building that enhances those buildings, so then you have to remember to come back later.

They could solve a lot of problems by letting you queue a full upgrade of a building that could go 1 => 4 eventually AND by letting you build things that have pre-requisites with conditional modifiers that the building will be cancelled if the pre-req is no longer buildable.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

And it is ridiculous that if you do not have a Trading Post or Anchorage already built, but have even 6 of them queued up, you cannot build the building that enhances those buildings, so then you have to remember to come back later.

They could solve a lot of problems by letting you queue a full upgrade of a building that could go 1 => 4 eventually AND by letting you build things that have pre-requisites with conditional modifiers that the building will be cancelled if the pre-req is no longer buildable.

Or even letting us design starbases more like ships. I'm going to have a standard choke-point bastion, a standard shipyard, a standard trade station. I'm never going to have more than 3-4 "designs" for starbases. I'd much rather just have a few standard designs and build them in one click.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Baronjutter posted:

Or even letting us design starbases more like ships. I'm going to have a standard choke-point bastion, a standard shipyard, a standard trade station. I'm never going to have more than 3-4 "designs" for starbases. I'd much rather just have a few standard designs and build them in one click.
I wondered why my ears perked up for no apparent reason a few minutes ago...

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Baronjutter posted:

You can, it's called Defence Platforms :downs:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

iospace posted:

It would actually be pretty neat to have a starbase designer, similar to the fleet designer, so you can just come back every now and then and click a button similar to the "reinforce" button.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Well speaking of references to sci-fi, now that I'm actually getting to the Shroud, I'm realising that it's basically the Warp from 40K, with the patrons being (only slightly less evil) versions of the chaos gods.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I would also like to be able to customize the weapon loadouts of my starbases on the chance, say, I keep opting to not take better laser tech because I have plasma....let me put Plasma on my starbases. Then I could press the "upgrade" button on the Starbase Designer to one-click upgrade them all at once, or let me upgrade each system individually.

iospace posted:

Someone else suggested having all sizes of Defense Platforms available again, but the new ones take a significant amount of time to build and cost more in terms of initial cost and upkeep. I think it would be really nice.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Well speaking of references to sci-fi, now that I'm actually getting to the Shroud, I'm realising that it's basically the Warp from 40K, with the patrons being (only slightly less evil) versions of the chaos gods.

Wait until you find the one that's more evil.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Starbases get rolled really hard in the lategame no matter how you build them. 40k fleet strength with max defense platforms and lategame armor, and they'll melt when facing a decent fleet.

It shouldn't be like EU4's level 8 forts because that is a tedious joke to siege down, but I don't quite get the way starbase health scales into the mid and lategame. At the start a starbase can hold out for a bit while reinforcements arrive, past a point, nope.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

iospace posted:

platform utility falls off after early game and fleets tend to just roll your bases, a planet with a fort on it is a better stopper than a base is, like they are basically just lovely 0% evasion cruisers hovering around your base

bases are basically just stuff you need for anchorages and sometimes trading cos

i still make defense ones but it's mostly the motion of doing so and they still deter AIs

Sloober fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 4, 2018

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Yeah the platforms/stations need more survivability later. Gimme something like a planetary shield module that fits on it for -75% damage received and make the last starbase tier have significantly more HP

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.
Need defensive med/large stations back as a mid/endgame option.

Medium platforms for tier 3+ starbases
Large platforms for citadels only.
You can already restrict their "size". In my mod the mediums take up 2 starbase platform slots, the large ones 4. (in the screenshot they still took up 1 for testing reasons)

Health scales are:
Small: 1000
Medium:2500
Large: 6000

Balance wise: restricted utility slots and medium platforms have few options for smaller weapons and large weapons. Large platforms have no small slots for weapons (and thus vulnerable to small ships), but access to multiple large slots.

I'm very sure they can be balanced if brought back. Hell, the large platforms could be locked behind a perk to add extra "cost".

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Medium and Large Platforms are in the NSC mod if you want 'em.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I'm a little torn on this, because from a programming standpoint you start getting edge cases for all the queue interactions and stuff, and letting something be a minor annoyance once over the programming effort to make it airtight could potentially be a really big gap. Sort of like how you can't upgrade a design while a ship is queued to upgrade/build on it, instead of the time to make that process perfectly bugfree you just disallow performing the action.

Lategame starbase improvements could pretty easily come from more module slots options, or options to upgrade module slots. Technically, even just fighting around a base could give your fleet a huge advantage lategame if you throw on stuff like the -20% shields and -disengage chance% modules while your fleet is fighting.

edit: maybe add a passive damage reduction per starbase level, so like small weapons do basically nothing to the highest starbase level.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

My Devouring Swarm is currently in the process of eating the federation that I wasn’t sure about the relative strength of. It looks like they have a federation fleet a little bigger than my typical fleet and one member has an equivalent fleet to one of my six fleets.

I hit 100% exhaustion 3 years ago, but can’t make peace because the AI seems to think they have a stronger fleet. What may be happening is that the Federation formed to fight an Assimilator, which divides it in two and may be preventing one half from helping the other. Originally it was about 2/3 on my side of the gap, but now they look to be around the same size as they are turned into bug food. Sol was conquered by some assholes before they made it to space, but was then conquered. This was interesting because one human pop made it out and ended up in the federation that I am currently dealing with. Or at least it was before I took that planet.

Anyways, I’m grinding away at their members, but am glad that I took care of them now instead of waiting. It will be a long digestion period after I finish this, but I still want to punch the FE next door before they wake up and the crisis happens.