Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Very nice summary, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Change the OP to "If your new drop School/Hacienda until you get good at dropping, looting quickly and shooting people."

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Shroud is Top 0.5% in duos.
His stream snipers, that seem to get into 8/10 of his games, are rarely even top 20%

I don't know who told anyone this game does matchmaking, but it doesn't, or does incredibly loose bracketing based on skill.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Khablam posted:

His stream snipers, that seem to get into 8/10 of his games, are rarely even top 20%

I don't know who told anyone this game does matchmaking, but it doesn't, or does incredibly loose bracketing based on skill.

I have done a lot of testing and I can confirm that there this matchmaking, but it's linear. In other words, the bottom 20% generally play with each other, the middle 20% get grouped, etc.

The problem (if you see it that way) is that the skill gap between the people bottom 80% is very small compared to say a top 10% player and Shroud. In other words, as you get better the players you have to defeat to get a win are exponentially better than you.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Khablam posted:

People have analyzed hundreds of games and found that it distributes opponents based on rating. Higher your rating the higher the average rating of opponents in your game. The game also has a priority to fill games so stream snipers can get into the "low end" distribution of shrouds games.

This is also why if you win a lot you'll have a game where you dumpster the entire server and get 6 rating points (because you were the top average mmr squad in the round and were heavily favored) to where you scratch and claw for a win and get 16 points.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Jerkface posted:

People have analyzed hundreds of games and found that it distributes opponents based on rating. Higher your rating the higher the average rating of opponents in your game. The game also has a priority to fill games so stream snipers can get into the "low end" distribution of shrouds games.

This is also why if you win a lot you'll have a game where you dumpster the entire server and get 6 rating points (because you were the top average mmr squad in the round and were heavily favored) to where you scratch and claw for a win and get 16 points.

There's also a factor of the rating of the person you kill or who kills you.

If you're way more highly rated than your victim, you don't get many rating points.

Conversely, if the person who kills you is rated like a walking toilet, your ranking drops drastically vs if you died by someone in your rating area.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

daslog posted:

I have done a lot of testing and I can confirm that there this matchmaking, but it's linear. In other words, the bottom 20% generally play with each other, the middle 20% get grouped, etc.

The problem (if you see it that way) is that the skill gap between the people bottom 80% is very small compared to say a top 10% player and Shroud. In other words, as you get better the players you have to defeat to get a win are exponentially better than you.

I have no way to prove this, but most likely the bottom 50% of the player base has like 1 game in said region, since its purely by rating. So, even though they statically shouldn't count, they do, making the actual MMR brackets wayyyyy taller than they should be. The solution would be to do something like make them play 3 games in a newbie bracket before factoring them into the actual rankings.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Sorry to interrupt this conversation, but PUBG is my first real FPS and while I have gotten marginally better at shooting as I've played it, I still have incredibly awful aim. Does anybody have any good resources they want to volunteer for like, learning to shoot good at mid and long range, how to properly use scopes, how to adjust your sensitivity settings, etc.?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Stroop There It Is posted:

Sorry to interrupt this conversation, but PUBG is my first real FPS and while I have gotten marginally better at shooting as I've played it, I still have incredibly awful aim. Does anybody have any good resources they want to volunteer for like, learning to shoot good at mid and long range, how to properly use scopes, how to adjust your sensitivity settings, etc.?

Lower your sensitivity and play other FPS games (CS:GO deathmatch). After that, start watching chocotaco and do what he does.

Don't move when you are shooting. But you also don't want to sit in one place too long and shoot. You kind of want to shoot a few times and then move in different directions (strafe). Keep repeating that. I'm sorry this is your first real FPS because in my opinion, it's a very difficult one to learn at this point in time.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
So are there any good resources on learning on how to position well in the late game? My group can survive Pochinki or Hacienda a reasonable amount of time, and top 10 it fairly often when we make it out of the hot zone we usually drop.

Our problems seem to stem from figuring out where we should be once that circle starts getting smaller and whatnot so we have problems closing the deal. A boatload of 2nds, but only 2 wins.

We are also olds who only get to play a few hours a week and don't tend to have time to watch folks on twitch for hours at a time to figure this stuff out, so looking for crib notes here :D

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Make sure you have mouse acceleration off. Under your mouse settings this will be called 'enhance pointer precision' or something like that.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Fancy_Lad posted:

So are there any good resources on learning on how to position well in the late game? My group can survive Pochinki or Hacienda a reasonable amount of time, and top 10 it fairly often when we make it out of the hot zone we usually drop.

Our problems seem to stem from figuring out where we should be once that circle starts getting smaller and whatnot so we have problems closing the deal. A boatload of 2nds, but only 2 wins.

We are also olds who only get to play a few hours a week and don't tend to have time to watch folks on twitch for hours at a time to figure this stuff out, so looking for crib notes here :D

If you are winning these places I would legitimately recommend driving directly to the center of circles and holding buildings. Minimize the amount of movement you have to do late in the game and give you the best options for cover. (Don't hide in the buildings, actively be looking for people to shoot from the buildings and surrounding cover).

Otherwise, play the edge of the circle game. Move towards the edge of where the blue/white is the thinnest and move in while the circle is moving in. Repeat for every circle, clearing any possible flanks from each side.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Go play a few thousand hours of CS:GO. Not even joking.

CSGO develops all of the essential skills to get good at FPSes and its a very punishing game. Plus the skill ceiling is insane, I have a few thousand hours in CSGO and I still get poo poo on by dudes when I play ESEA.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Stealthgerbil posted:

Go play a few thousand hours of CS:GO. Not even joking.

CSGO develops all of the essential skills to get good at FPSes and its a very punishing game. Plus the skill ceiling is insane, I have a few thousand hours in CSGO and I still get poo poo on by dudes when I play ESEA.

bloooooooooooog we should play friendship simulator together.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Hell yes I'm down any time :)

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Stealthgerbil posted:

Hell yes I'm down any time :)

I guess I'll actually start inviting you instead of being like "Oh, hey he's playing this game that I play, but he's probably already playing with dudes, maybe next time"

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I can't find it at work, but someone posted a video on setting your sensitivities that helped me a lot. I think I dropped everything by 50% or more from where I had it (so low-to-mid 20s now). Your Mouse May Vary. This means I had to unlearn a lot of bad habits but my aim improved perceptibly. Also fiddle with the various scope-specific sensitivities, since you should be ADS for most shots anyway.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Chard posted:

I can't find it at work, but someone posted a video on setting your sensitivities that helped me a lot. I think I dropped everything by 50% or more from where I had it (so low-to-mid 20s now). Your Mouse May Vary. This means I had to unlearn a lot of bad habits but my aim improved perceptibly. Also fiddle with the various scope-specific sensitivities, since you should be ADS for most shots anyway.

I just realized I have had that "mouse pointer precision" on this entire time. I turned it off and my mouse moves around super-fast with my current DPI (3200). So, I turned it down to 1600 and it feels more normal.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
1600 DPI is still insanely high imo

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

TBH I think having huge DPI numbers is just something mouse sellers do because bigger numbers = better, I have not had it translate into anything except wanting to turn down the sensitivity.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

RobotsLoveSpectres posted:

1600 DPI is still insanely high imo

This 400-800 is the target area

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Truly the corgiest of goodposts

Someone in the cool Discord posted this and I can't get over how cool that guy is. Everyone should take a peep at his stats.

I would legit watch him if he had a stream, just to know his secrets.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Chard posted:

TBH I think having huge DPI numbers is just something mouse sellers do because bigger numbers = better, I have not had it translate into anything except wanting to turn down the sensitivity.

For games that are not FPS games.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

big DPI numbers mean countable precision. lowering DPI with your fancy mouse software keeps that precision and lets you turn down the funk to manageable levels

im not new to fps but incredibly loving new to trying hard after years of CS and GO. apparently you go out and buy a 16,000 DPI mouse and set it to 800 in software. then you go into MSCP and set the mouse > pointer options to the 6th tic and disable all acceleration and correction/smoothing

i did this recently, its good. its the same thing as having that deathadder elite set to 16k DPI and having .001 ingame sense, which you cant actually do here like you can in CSGTFO. mine is currently at 800 software DPI and 55 ingame sens.

with this, you slowly tweak your ingame sens down as low as you can tolerate. a lot of people measure 180 or 360 degree distances on the mousepad. it is, apparently common, with these settings to move your mouse 6 inches to achieve a full 180 turn. maybe another source will tell you 8 inches is the perfect amount for a full 360 return to center. this is all relatively decent advice, you want to be able to use your mousepad to turn all the way around, and essentially, train yourself to pick up the mouse and replant it for "faster" high DPI tracking. that or get a giant loving mousepad for more fidelity

either way, this is how nerds think about input settings, its dumb as gently caress but the impact is noticable

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

cyanidewolf posted:

Someone in the cool Discord posted this and I can't get over how cool that guy is. Everyone should take a peep at his stats.

:gizz:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

cyanidewolf posted:

his secret is press z to prone

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
How do you manage to win in solo without killing anyone? Because that guy has done it three times.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

You get lucky with the circles letting you hide until the very end and then pray they die before you.

Comedy option: spend all game collecting 100 frag grenades just to drop them on the ground at the end and hope they blow themselves up.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

NZAmoeba posted:

How do you manage to win in solo without killing anyone? Because that guy has done it three times.

Mind games the other guy into circling themselves

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

The tried and true tactical genius of hiding in a closet.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I finally for a brief moment in time broke 2.0 K/D :cheers:

And then the duo that was ranked #6 dropped with us and brutally murdered us in what's probably been the most I've ever been outplayed in this game.

NZAmoeba posted:

I've won about three rounds where the last enemy died to the blue zone. One of the matches I posted here finished in a guy dying to the blue circle offscreen and victory popping out of nowhere to me. I'm pretty sure if you keep bashing your head against the wall doing pacifist runs you're gonna win a few times.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Elentor posted:

I finally for a brief moment in time broke 2.0 K/D :cheers:

And then the duo that was ranked #6 dropped with us and brutally murdered us in what's probably been the most I've ever been outplayed in this game.

I've won about three rounds where the last enemy died to the blue zone. One of the matches I posted here finished in a guy dying to the blue circle offscreen and victory popping out of nowhere to me. I'm pretty sure if you keep bashing your head against the wall doing pacifist runs you're gonna win a few times.

I won two in the same night to blue zones last week. In one of those we only had one person alive in our squad for the last 6-7 minutes and all 6 other people on the map died at the exact same time.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Regrettable posted:

The tried and true tactical genius of hiding in a closet.

When 8 man was up we had all 8 people in a bathroom and some poor soul that opened the door got absolutely liquefied in a wall of gunfire.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Came back for the first time in awhile. miramar. laggy as poo poo. way out of circle but find a bike. bike bugs out and humps hill while not letting me ride it. make a run for it. find a truck with 20% health, patch up and hit the gas. game crashes. lol.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

A teammate said there was no way to get airdrop crate. I proved him wrong.

https://streamable.com/f1m2o

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

VulgarandStupid posted:

A teammate said there was no way to get airdrop crate. I proved him wrong.

https://streamable.com/f1m2o

I love this game.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

Cinara posted:

I can confirm that hiding all the time does not lead to actually winning much. My IRL friends tend to be very cowardly in this game, and as such most of them are not great at shooting people before they get shot. We tend towards a 10-15% win rate purely because there's only so many games I can win solo. That and I start making dumb plays because I get bored.

Sounds like my play experience with my IRL friends. Also flying a minimum of 2 squares every drop because god forbid another team might be within a 5 min run of us.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cyanidewolf posted:

He won a game by killing a guy in the middle of the ocean marked "hit by a car". I really wish I could download replays from op.gg and watch.

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Truly the corgiest of goodposts

Elentor posted:

He won a game by killing a guy in the middle of the ocean marked "hit by a car". I really wish I could download replays from op.gg and watch.

Probably ran him over by accident with a boat. He also always dies to bluezone when he makes 2nd, so you might think he is just camping there. But no, he also never heals. This person is a true enigma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cyanidewolf posted:

Probably ran him over by accident with a boat. He also always dies to bluezone when he makes 2nd, so you might think he is just camping there. But no, he also never heals. This person is a true enigma.

I'm unironically impressed by how reliably he can get to second place without being killed, that's not trivial. No matter how cowardly you play you're bound to be seen by someone and that will force some confrontation. And super confused as to why there are games where he just dies early on. Makes me think that he needs to loot some basic healing stuff before he moves on to whatever MGS strategy he has.

It's super weird. The only logical explanation I can find is that he glitches and gets under the terrain and sometimes he dies trying to do that.

Khablam posted:

Some guy on reddit posted this.

It's very loose bracketing but there is a very obvious matchmaking if you compare the start of the climb to the later matches. Especially because the bad players at the bottom die early on and for the rest of the match the average player is much more troublesome.