Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
They come alive automatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Don’t feel bad that feature has only been there for a few years

And no way to do it on OS X.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Under the artist name in Album view

This only works for me if I re-search for the album, not if I go to it via e.g. “recently added”:

:thunk:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

It's weird. The albums I've been seeing it with aren't new by any stretch of the imagination and there's literally no hint about why some tracks can't be played. They're also unavailable in iTunes.

They're there in Spotify, though :shrug:

Why can't apple poo poo* just loving work or at least offer explanations for arbitrary things

*or just any modern devices

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Weedle posted:

I just don’t understand why someone would buy a phone with a screen bezel that wasn’t black.

Yeah, bezels don't bother me but admittedly they do look a little outdated now. The black bezels blend in, the white ones stand out.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Re: albums with grayed out tracks in Apple Music.
I believe it’s a licensing issue, for instance when songs get added to soundtracks of popular movies the license holder will pull the streaming rights for six months or so to encourage people to purchase the track or album.
I first noticed this after the first Kingsman movie came out and “give it up“ by KC and the Sunshine Band flipped to grayed out in my playlist.

On a unrelated note, has anyone else noticed Face ID failing repeatedly after upgrading to 11.3?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

CaptainCrunch posted:

Re: albums with grayed out tracks in Apple Music.
I believe it’s a licensing issue, for instance when songs get added to soundtracks of popular movies the license holder will pull the streaming rights for six months or so to encourage people to purchase the track or album.
I first noticed this after the first Kingsman movie came out and “give it up“ by KC and the Sunshine Band flipped to grayed out in my playlist.

On a unrelated note, has anyone else noticed Face ID failing repeatedly after upgrading to 11.3?

See that's what I thought, but the most recent one that I noticed was the Rock Of Ages soundtrack, where all the songs are covers and I'd assume were covered under the same licence

Weedle
May 31, 2006

iajanus posted:

See that's what I thought, but the most recent one that I noticed was the Rock Of Ages soundtrack, where all the songs are covers and I'd assume were covered under the same licence

The composition and recording must be licensed separately. If they don’t have the license for both they can’t make it available for streaming.

Weedle fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 4, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chalk that up as a win for buying your music and managing it locally like a Luddite I guess.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

xzzy posted:

Chalk that up as a win for buying your music and managing it locally like a Luddite I guess.

I feel vindicated since this is what I normally do. I just thought I'd try out the free AM sub I got and it's been nothing but frustration. How do people use this?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Very easily :shrug:

I still have my curated library on my MacBook and I've never had a problem

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Very easily :shrug:

I still have my curated library on my MacBook and I've never had a problem

Yeah it's pretty easy.

"I think I'll listen to an album I'd like to listen to. Oh well, randomly half of it is unavailable with no explanation. Guess I'll listen to a different half album. "

Problem free! (Except that it's a paid service)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I've rarely run into albums that can't be fully streamed. Most of the time they're compilations or soundtracks where the rights are complex.
I've used AM for three years and rarely had issues. It's not for people who carefully curate mp3s

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

"I've rarely run into this problem. Most of the time people are trying to use the service they're paying for in the way it's advertised and should be grateful it doesn't fail for no reason more often. Again, I've used it for years and had few errors so clearly nobody else's experiences matter. It's not for people who use the service as advertised and aren't me."

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Oh are we having yet another Apple Music strop?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Maybe you should try another service

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Apple Music + Vinyl is genuinely the flawless end game for my music nerd soul.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Apple Music sucks. I find it's curated playlists lacking and the interface annoys me. It also tried too hard pushing me toward popular music when I prefer mostly unpopular music. Apple Match messed up my music library when I tried it.

So. I. Stopped. Using. It.

But there are no alternatives, so now I live a mostly silent life. Oh why must Apple Music be the only streaming service available?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The only incomplete albums I've ever run into were compilation things released prior to Apple Music starting up. But I rarely listen to those, so it's not really an issue for me.

Also, I got some AirPods yesterday and will be returning them. I can definitely see why people like them, but I wore them during my morning commute and was ready to take them out well before getting to work they were so uncomfortable, and they blocked so little outside noise that the podcasts I was listening to were getting blown out by the sound of the train entering the station. They seem really cool, but not at all for me in their current form. If they ever make an in-ear set, I'll be first in line to buy.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

xzzy posted:

I'm glad I came of age when this was the norm because I'm sure I would be tempted down the seductive false path of streaming now.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
The people coming of age now only get their music on youtube and suffer through ads every five seconds. So it could always be worse.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

iajanus posted:

"I've rarely run into this problem. Most of the time people are trying to use the service they're paying for in the way it's advertised and should be grateful it doesn't fail for no reason more often. Again, I've used it for years and had few errors so clearly nobody else's experiences matter. It's not for people who use the service as advertised and aren't me."

I’ve had no errors. I’ve had a song or two drop off for what I figured were rights issues. But since I like the bands that actually happened with, I simply bought the album/song. Problem solved.

And you are correct. Your experience means nothing to me.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

iajanus posted:

Take a breath, my dude. Someone saying they haven't really had issues isn't some attack on you, lord.
Streaming services really aren't going to serve 100% of people. If it doesn't work for you, oh well. But if you do want to use a streaming service, something like Apple Music or Play Music is probably going to be your best bet since they allow you to upload your own music to fill gaps.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Dogen posted:

I'm glad I came of age when this was the norm because I'm sure I would be tempted down the seductive false path of streaming now.

I regret all the music I've ever bought*. Streaming is the best.

* does not include rarities and bootlegs

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Speaking of rarities and bootlegs, I noticed the other day that you can't like/dislike songs via the touch screen when using carplay on songs not purchased through the apple store.

You can "hey siri" a dislike and do it manually via Music.app, but on the carplay interface the "..." button simply isn't there. :iiam:

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I didn’t like Apple Music at release but a mixture of being bored of waiting for a Spotify watch app, the mild annoyance of having multiple music libraries, and iTunes smart playlists got me to switch. There are still a lot of weird functions/ UI decisions (the amount of times I’ve played a song rather than queuing it...) but being able to set up a workflow widget to play the songs that I have added and loved in the last 2 months is pretty great.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I mean it’s not perfect but one of my suggested playlists today was Alternative Hits: 2000 and I’ve been jamming the gently caress out to Ex Girlfriend and Rollin’ all morning and it’s like I’m back in high school and why doesn’t Jenny want to go to homecoming with me???

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKzX5zRdsq0

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

iajanus posted:

Yeah it's pretty easy.

"I think I'll listen to an album I'd like to listen to. Oh well, randomly half of it is unavailable with no explanation. Guess I'll listen to a different half album. "

Problem free! (Except that it's a paid service)

The links to albums you’ve previously saved to your library in AM change more frequently than I’d like, and AM does not handle those redirects automatically.

Endless Mike posted:

Also, I got some AirPods yesterday and will be returning them. I can definitely see why people like them, but I wore them during my morning commute and was ready to take them out well before getting to work they were so uncomfortable, and they blocked so little outside noise that the podcasts I was listening to were getting blown out by the sound of the train entering the station. They seem really cool, but not at all for me in their current form. If they ever make an in-ear set, I'll be first in line to buy.

:same: I am absolutely willing to spend the silly money Apple will charge for the Beats-branded IEM AirPods

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

what?!?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

*dances on top of the World Trade Center*

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

*dances on top of the World Trade Center*

I'd never seen the video prior to reading this comment but didn't think anything could possibly make that song age worse and WHELP

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
gently caress the iTunes App. I use the Diskstation DS Audio App which downloads / streams music from my Diskstation. The app is kinda ugly and the „pins“ feature is annoying but it‘s great if you have your own music collection (gently caress streaming services too).

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Neco posted:

gently caress the iTunes App. I use the Diskstation DS Audio App which downloads / streams music from my Diskstation. The app is kinda ugly and the „pins“ feature is annoying but it‘s great if you have your own music collection (gently caress streaming services too).

I read this post twice wondering who would use something called Dickstation and now I realise that somebody is me.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

tuyop posted:

The people coming of age now only get their music on youtube and suffer through ads every five seconds. So it could always be worse.

YouTube Red is well worth it - I put up with the crumminess of Play Music on iOS because the bundle is such good value.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I use Amazon Music and generally love it. I have thought about getting the Unlimited package (since my family three echos) but I have not been convinced enough to pay for it.

Amazon has allowed you to upload 250 songs (I had only uploaded 69 - nice...) but they just sent an email stating that they were ending that service and you have to click one button to keep your music available. I wish I would have uploaded more of my music now.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

CaptainCrunch posted:

It’s not failing for me, but it’s more annoying now on websites. In safari I used to load up my work email web portal, it would auto initiate Face ID, and enter my password for me. Now it loads the page, I have to touch the password field, I get the pop up above the keyboard prompting me to choose the password for the site, then it starts Face ID and types in the password. Stupid, unnecessary steps were added.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Is there a reason why FaceID is being used for sites that don't need FaceID? If you look in Settings there's a section for sites that use FaceID and that hasn't expanded, but it seems to be using it regardless whether it's needed or not.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I use Amazon Music and generally love it. I have thought about getting the Unlimited package (since my family three echos) but I have not been convinced enough to pay for it.
You mention “family” so this may not apply, but if you don’t know the individual Unlimited sub is $79/yr for Prime customers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Isn't the iTunes Match limit something absurd like 50,000 songs?

AM + Match = the best of both worlds... you can still be an obsessive curator AND yell at Siri to shuffle some 90s grunge when you want