Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That was great. I have no.idea what happened.

10/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Liked first half more than latter. As season goes on I might come to appreciate it more. I'd give it a 7 +.5/- 1 depending on how much I have to drink if someone asks

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rocksicles posted:

That was great. I have no.idea what happened.

10/10

My thoughts, exactly.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I don't know what I was expecting, but a dance-off wasn't it. That said, :drat:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjDa-_Vq51I

Skimming posts here, still no way to actually watch the episode.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Shitenshi posted:

So I watched one episode in the middle of last season just to see what all the hype was about, and felt it's plot was slow moving which wasn't so bad considering similar shows have done that kinda stuff, but didn't at all get the constant weird artsy showboating that took up too much time, and made the Fargo TV series's random philosophizing seem restrained and normal by comparison. Deffo getting the same feeling with this episode, and I have a feeling it's not about plunging headfirst into a second season on a show like a fish out of water. Is this something I have to get over or is this the show's MO?

I thought "objectively watching TV wrong" was just a joke, a meme even, until I read your posts. Have you considered cutting out the middle man and just reading the plot synopses?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shitenshi posted:

So I watched one episode in the middle of last season just to see what all the hype was about, and felt it's plot was slow moving which wasn't so bad considering similar shows have done that kinda stuff, but didn't at all get the constant weird artsy showboating that took up too much time, and made the Fargo TV series's random philosophizing seem restrained and normal by comparison. Deffo getting the same feeling with this episode, and I have a feeling it's not about plunging headfirst into a second season on a show like a fish out of water. Is this something I have to get over or is this the show's MO?

Wait... wot?

That's weapons grade stupid.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I liked the new sets and stuff, but I really wanted this season to be less slow than the last one.

e.g. what's the point of that super long silent scene with "future" Sydney when the shots before and after that sequence make it clear that she's a fictitious vision implanted in David's head by the Shadow King in order to trick him into helping the King regain his body? Why go to the length of making the scene itself so believable when the surrounding scenes indicate it to be a lie? And why spend all that time suggesting that the plot's going to involve time travel and missing arms and whatever when you've no intention of developing those suggestions?

Or is it not meant be so obvious? Or, potentially, have I gone and taken my own personal crazy pills?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I didn't pick up on that, and I kind of disagree. The first scene of the episode seems to implicate that the shadow king is being manipulated/imprisoned by someone else (the guy with sunglasses in the Paris office who may or may not be the bald guy with the symbol on his forehead in the nightclub), whose agenda or identity we have no idea about. We're dealing with unreliable narrators and characters that are adrift in a sea of uncertainty. Why would the viewer feel any less uncertain? Maybe helping the shadow king back into his body is the less bad of two horrible options, depending on who/what the third party actor is attempting.

I've seen no indication that time travel is a factor in the series. David's either missed a year and/or was mind-wiped, that's all that's happened. I see no reason for a stable time-loop to be part of the plot, so far.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

double nine posted:

The first scene of the episode seems to implicate that the shadow king is being manipulated/imprisoned by someone else (the guy with sunglasses in the Paris office who may or may not be the bald guy with the symbol on his forehead in the nightclub), whose agenda or identity we have no idea about.

That man's the original Shadow King, though, isn't he? He's Farouk. The two people we see at the start are the "real" Lenny and Oliver, who are trapped inside Farouk's mind, which is currently in control of Oliver's body. That's what all those zooms are about -- each time we zoom out through an eye, we're travelling up another level of consciousness or whatever. First we see Lenny, Oliver and Oliver's terrible tan line, who talk about being trapped. Then we zoom out to see the Shadow King, and then we zoom out again to see a possessed Oliver.

quote:

We're dealing with unreliable narrators and characters that are adrift in a sea of uncertainty. Why would the viewer feel any less uncertain? Maybe helping the shadow king back into his body is the less bad of two horrible options, depending on who/what the third party actor is attempting.

The scene leads us to believe that the third party actor is a future version of Sydney. Except it's not, it's the molten delusion chicklet creature which was grown and nurtured by Lenny, back when she was the primary avatar of the Shadow King. (We see this during the scene where the creature was born and John Hamm talks about delusions.) Just before David apparently has a visitation from the future Sydney, the chick crawls under his bed. And then just after the apparent visitation is over, the scene transitions so "future" Sydney appears to vanish back under his bed.

To me that indicated that David's vision of future Sydney was sent by the Shadow King, and would ultimately be designed to aid the guy in his Muahahaha. But yeah, I guess it wasn't as obvious as I thought it was -- or that I've just got it wrong, like I said before. But I don't think I have.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Cute callback to the pilot with "I like Cherry Pie now".

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I love this mind-gently caress of a show.

Can anyone who's talented please post some gifs of this show?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Andrew_1985 posted:

I love this mind-gently caress of a show.

Can anyone who's talented please post some gifs of this show?
:same: I need a gif of the light playing on Syd's face at the end to use as my avatar.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
So in the "what was that" mysteries of this the one that's bugging me the most was the very opening - who was the man in Paris between the two Oliver's?

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
as someone familiar with the character/who watched the season trailer it didn't even occur to me that this many people would completely miss that the dude sitting in the "executive's office" of Oliver's mind is the Shadow King, though if we're being blunt and fair, who the gently caress else did you think it could be? like the new thread title should be "LEGION S2 - the Gomez Addams-lookalike is Lenny"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah just the teaser made it clear who Faroukh is because he's the one new guy and appears middle eastern or north African

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

God drat it's good to have this show back

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Autism Sneaks posted:

I thought "objectively watching TV wrong" was just a joke, a meme even, until I read your posts. Have you considered cutting out the middle man and just reading the plot synopses?

Rocksicles posted:

Wait... wot?

That's weapons grade stupid.

So I'm gathering from your responses that this is a pretentious show that tries to be as "deep" as possible, but when the time comes to put up or shut up, the storytelling is slow and weak as possible. Mr. Robot did this whole artsy thing too, and even that was pretty easy to follow because for all it's random allusions and references, the thing was a straightforward character drama/fight against an evil empire thriller thing.

Also, I haven't even closely followed the show (obviously) and I was able to figure out that silent Syd at the end was telling David that the organization he's currently working with is actually looking for the Shadow King's body and give it to him on a silver platter. Observe how in the meeting with the mustached women and the basket head, when he asks if they're in a race against the Shadow King to find his actual body, the mustached women go silent.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Shitenshi posted:

So I'm gathering from your responses that this is a pretentious show that tries to be as "deep" as possible, but when the time comes to put up or shut up, the storytelling is slow and weak as possible. Mr. Robot did this whole artsy thing too, and even that was pretty easy to follow because for all it's random allusions and references, the thing was a straightforward character drama/fight against an evil empire thriller thing.

Also, I haven't even closely followed the show (obviously) and I was able to figure out that silent Syd at the end was telling David that the organization he's currently working with is actually looking for the Shadow King's body and give it to him on a silver platter. Observe how in the meeting with the mustached women and the basket head, when he asks if they're in a race against the Shadow King to find his actual body, the mustached women go silent.

Well that’s both an incredibly reductive idea on what “storytelling” is and also wrong on basic plot elements.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I loved Admiral Fukuyama, it is such a weird character right on the edge between cool and silly.
I am surprised that nobody has mentioned that creepy horse person that was slowly moving around when Melanie was getting high, I think it was in at least one other scene too.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's not pretentious to need people to watch series from the beginning. That is what serialization is. 90% of cable TV is constructed this way.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I assume that the dance off was David chasing the robed guy and running into Lenny/Oliver and fighting them. In which case Legion has elegantly solved the problem of having a disappointing/off screen powered people battle by turning it into a dance-off.

I love this show.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's not pretentious to need people to watch series from the beginning. That is what serialization is. 90% of cable TV is constructed this way.

Most good shows you can dive right in and still enjoy the hell out of them. I even got the gist of this one after jumping right in, there's this bad guy called the Shadow King and they're out to get him, give or take a bunch of weird visuals to pad out the screentime. Funny how Noah Hawley says most superhero stories are just simply getting a bad guy, and this show is exactly that once you strip it of the window dressing. This has got nothing to do with me complaining about not "getting it," I think this show is pretentious and uses a bunch of flashy visuals to disguise its needlessly slow and poorly paced storytelling.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Today I have learned that opinions can be objectively wrong.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
The visuals are literally the storytelling.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Oasx posted:

I loved Admiral Fukuyama, it is such a weird character right on the edge between cool and silly.
I am surprised that nobody has mentioned that creepy horse person that was slowly moving around when Melanie was getting high, I think it was in at least one other scene too.

It was in the quick schoolhouse scene as well. Also surprised no one mentioning Syd missing an arm.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Shitenshi posted:

Most good shows you can dive right in and still enjoy the hell out of them. I even got the gist of this one after jumping right in, there's this bad guy called the Shadow King and they're out to get him, give or take a bunch of weird visuals to pad out the screentime. Funny how Noah Hawley says most superhero stories are just simply getting a bad guy, and this show is exactly that once you strip it of the window dressing. This has got nothing to do with me complaining about not "getting it," I think this show is pretentious and uses a bunch of flashy visuals to disguise its needlessly slow and poorly paced storytelling.

then go watch something else that's more to your tastes. not everything has to be enjoyable to everyone. Go be happy with whatever suits your tastes.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

double nine posted:

then go watch something else that's more to your tastes. not everything has to be enjoyable to everyone. Go be happy with whatever suits your tastes.

Don't need permission to do that methinks. Just wondering if after watching, there was a me problem or a show problem, and clearly it's the latter. Thanks all.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
There's your problem. Glad we could help!

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Shitenshi posted:

Don't need permission to do that methinks. Just wondering if after watching, there was a me problem or a show problem, and clearly it's the latter. Thanks all.

So you watched a random episode out of 8 in a highly serialized show then again this seemingly random episode in the continuation of a highly serialized show.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Danger posted:

So you watched a random episode out of 8 in a highly serialized show then again this seemingly random episode in the continuation of a highly serialized show.

Yeah but he figured out from the part where Syd says to find the body that he's supposed to find the body so he could basically jump in anywhere

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
I just realized Jon Hamm is the narrator.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Shitenshi posted:

You asked the thread if it was you or the show that had a problem, everyone said it was you, from that you concluded it was the show.

Cool, bye.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
Where is Syd missing an arm? If that happened I completely missed it.

I have no idea what happened and I loved it.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

sicDaniel posted:

Where is Syd missing an arm? If that happened I completely missed it.

I have no idea what happened and I loved it.

Future Syd with the light brush was missing her other arm.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shitenshi posted:

Actually homeslice, i think you'll find i put this show drat near the top of my list last year, and was leaving room for this season at the top of this years list.

I love this show. I don't dissect it, i watch it and let in unravel, in order.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Shitenshi posted:

I was able to figure out that silent Syd at the end was telling David that the organization he's currently working with is actually looking for the Shadow King's body and give it to him on a silver platter

Cool, we're eliminating all the obviously wrong readings first. Strange way to go about it imho

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
I was worried Hawley wouldn't be able to keep up the eccentricities of the show, but all that was assuaged by Division 3's excellent set design. Glad to see they're sticking with the ambiguous temporal setting.

That dance-off was thematically perfect, but I really wish the music was more intense than a riff on the S1 credits loop. Still, I really enjoyed how each participant's personalities were mirrored by their dance styles, and how their troupes might as well have been mind-controlled.

On that note, I feel like the scene almost literally depicts the birth of the Catalyst/teeth-chattering syndrome. Use too many psyonic powers in a crowded place, and peoples' minds leave them.

As for future-Syd, I don't think time travel has been entirely ruled out yet, and I do believe that she was benevolent, but there's definitely something David misinterpreted—just not sure what yet. (Yes, I'm aware the scene immediately before this was the delusion monster crawling under the bed)

PS, sorry you're missing out Shitenshi, sheesh

f#a# fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 4, 2018

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Was Lenny always a real person? Based on that opening thing with the scroll through the minds (oliver and lenny trapped -> farouk -> Oliver) Lenny and Oliver are stuck in Farouk's head, at least that's the interpretation I'm taking. My memory is fuzzy, but she was introduced in S1 as his asylum buddy and it's only via the slow reveal that we get Lenny was always just the Shadow King's manifestation in David's head right and never really existed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

night slime
May 14, 2014
That robot in the most wanted list reminded me of Xorn.