Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
So I just moved into this new apartment and the lightbulbs on the ceiling are not bright at all so I want to buy new ones. The current ones are just regular non-LED bulbs that are about 20W 500 Lumens or so according to the bulb. Does that mean I can install a 20W LED bulb with 1500+ lumens without burning out anything?

Lumens is just the brightest so its the wattage that I have to worry about, correct? The light bulb in the living room is 9 watts 800 lumens, would it be safe to install a 20 watt 1500 lumen bulb in there as well? It's an old building but I assume 20 watts is fine and I'm assuming it can handle the old 60 watt bulbs right? It doesn't say max wattage anywhere...

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It should be fine but 1500 lumens is loving bright.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah the dissipated power (wattage) rating is what matters for heat/current, which is the safety issue. With LEDs dissipating roughly 6x less power for the same light output as incandescents, you are going to need some serious bulbs before you start to stress the fixtures, which are usually marked as 40, 60, or 100 W max.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Yeah jeez, do they seriously make standard socket LEDs that high? If so I might have to get one for my houseplants.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Busy Bee posted:

So I just moved into this new apartment and the lightbulbs on the ceiling are not bright at all so I want to buy new ones. The current ones are just regular non-LED bulbs that are about 20W 500 Lumens or so according to the bulb. Does that mean I can install a 20W LED bulb with 1500+ lumens without burning out anything?

Lumens is just the brightest so its the wattage that I have to worry about, correct? The light bulb in the living room is 9 watts 800 lumens, would it be safe to install a 20 watt 1500 lumen bulb in there as well? It's an old building but I assume 20 watts is fine and I'm assuming it can handle the old 60 watt bulbs right? It doesn't say max wattage anywhere...

Make sure to save the old bulbs and put them back in before you move out. They're certainly cheaper than the ones you'll be buying to replace them with, so take the new ones with you when you go.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Yeah jeez, do they seriously make standard socket LEDs that high? If so I might have to get one for my houseplants.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/EcoSmart-100-Watt-Equivalent-A19-Non-Dimmable-Basic-LED-Light-Bulb-Daylight-4-Pack-B6A19100WUL02/302539972

I put these in my hallway and it looked like a hospital.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Peristalsis posted:

Make sure to save the old bulbs and put them back in before you move out. They're certainly cheaper than the ones you'll be buying to replace them with, so take the new ones with you when you go.
LED bulbs are now equal or cheaper than CFLs in price. You can buy a 16 pack of Philips 800 lumen/60w equivalent LED bulbs for :20bux:.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Is it? I have a 800 lumen bulb for my living room now and I wish it was brighter....

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I was wearing a Kenneth Cole Reaction tie while changing my newborn who soon after peed on my tie. Soap and water to the tie should get it clean right?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Busy Bee posted:

The fixture can handle it. What you might run into if the fixture isn't particularly well ventilated is the LED bulb frying its electronics well before its rated life span.

I've got a combined 10000 lumen in my living room and it's wonderful to do some craft or to take pictures without the camera complaining about being in night mode. 1500 lumen is just a piss in the sea.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Gobbeldygook posted:

LED bulbs are now equal or cheaper than CFLs in price. You can buy a 16 pack of Philips 800 lumen/60w equivalent LED bulbs for :20bux:.

I guess I assumed the original bulbs were incandescent.

Regardless, there's no reason to throw away the old bulbs and leave your new bulbs in there. Put the lousy ones back and take your good ones with you to the next place you live.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Peristalsis posted:

I guess I assumed the original bulbs were incandescent.

Regardless, there's no reason to throw away the old bulbs and leave your new bulbs in there. Put the lousy ones back and take your good ones with you to the next place you live.
If you're moving, the last thing you should be caring about is 20 bucks worth of lightbulbs.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

twodot posted:

If you're moving, the last thing you should be caring about is 20 bucks worth of lightbulbs.

Well sure, if you're a mature, well-adjusted adult or something. If you're petty and vindictive like me, save your light bulbs.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

twodot posted:

Spoken like someone who doesn't move every couple of years.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

twodot posted:

It's always the tenant arguing about how much deposit they should get back, saying "but I didn't have time to clean!!", who is standing on a folding chair putting the CFL back in the bathroom light fixture so they can take the slightly newer CFL with them.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
If you really want to be thrifty, save all of your dead lightbulbs and swap out to them when you move out, if the landlord questions it, shrug your shoulders and say “power surge last night I guess”.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

bongwizzard posted:

If you really want to be thrifty, save all of your dead lightbulbs and swap out to them when you move out, if the landlord questions it, shrug your shoulders and say “power surge last night I guess”.

Most apartments I’ve stayed at have charged a ~$20 fee for each dead lightbulb when you move out. If you make a service request the day before you move out they’ll come replace them for free, but if they’re dead when you leave you have to pay.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is it better to puke after you drink a lot? Or should you try to keep it down? I’m a wuss and gotta puke after like 10 shots, but I’m wondering if it might somehow be better to keep it in my system.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Ten shots would make me puke whether I wanted to or not.

In theory if you puke somewhat soon after drinking, you will expel a significant portion of the alcohol before it begins to be absorbed into your system. That is what the vomit mechanism is for, after all.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 4, 2018

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Is it better to puke after you drink a lot? Or should you try to keep it down? I’m a wuss and gotta puke after like 10 shots, but I’m wondering if it might somehow be better to keep it in my system.

I mean if you have to puke after you drink, then you drank too much. Nothing wrong with being a lightweight.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I knew somebody who would throw up upon drinking even a tiny amount of alcohol, without fail, but would then be fine to continue drinking the whole night. I was like...drat, I'd really consider not drinking at that point, but he was completely inured to it and didn't even care. Mmmm ingrained drinking culture (it was in Scotland).

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jeza posted:

I knew somebody who would throw up upon drinking even a tiny amount of alcohol, without fail, but would then be fine to continue drinking the whole night. I was like...drat, I'd really consider not drinking at that point, but he was completely inured to it and didn't even care. Mmmm ingrained drinking culture (it was in Scotland).

Sounds like an alcoholic who takes antabuse

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

syscall girl posted:

Sounds like an alcoholic who takes antabuse

Never seen that before, pretty cool. 99% sure he wasn't an alkie though. Just a weird physiological reaction. He said he didn't even feel nauseous, just had this sudden emetic response. Big ol' world out there.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
That happens to me when I drink, probably due to being a type 1 diabetic. Three shots, ten minutes, and a blood sugar spike later and I just horf with no notice. I stopped drinking in bars because of it. It's common enough with diabetics that we never shut up whining about it.

I had a question but now I'm mad at my pancreas and forgot it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Jeza posted:

Never seen that before, pretty cool. 99% sure he wasn't an alkie though. Just a weird physiological reaction. He said he didn't even feel nauseous, just had this sudden emetic response. Big ol' world out there.

I had that reaction (immediate vomiting) for any alcohol over around 20% ABV (so all straight liquors) after one college night. It wore off after about 10 years.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I handled some raw beef a few days ago with a small cut on my finger, and I've had poor sleep and irritability ever since. Is it possible I have mad cow disease?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I mean, it's possible, but prion diseases take longer than days to present themselves. CDC even notes that they are known for their long incubation periods. So if you have it, it's from earlier exposure, or your current symptoms aren't from it but from something else.

e:
When I say possible I mean in the strictest sense of the word. You are very unlikely to have mad cow disease unless you've been munching on cows or cow brain matter in at risk areas. Also if you eat venison from deer with wasting disease you have a chance of being patient zero for a new prion disease, but there have been no recorded incidents of wasting disease crossing to humans yet.

CrazySalamander fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 4, 2018

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I handled some raw beef a few days ago with a small cut on my finger, and I've had poor sleep and irritability ever since. Is it possible I have mad cow disease?

I'll assume you're not joking: Creutzfeldt-Jakob takes literally decades to manifest.

EDIT: are you under 45? If you had mad cow, you'd probably be the first to manifest symptoms that early.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Most apartments I’ve stayed at have charged a ~$20 fee for each dead lightbulb when you move out. If you make a service request the day before you move out they’ll come replace them for free, but if they’re dead when you leave you have to pay.

I was actually just being sarcastic and lovely, but that is a heinously bad lease.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Thanatosian posted:

I'll assume you're not joking: Creutzfeldt-Jakob takes literally decades to manifest.

EDIT: are you under 45? If you had mad cow, you'd probably be the first to manifest symptoms that early.

One of the most famous cases back in the 90s was in his 20s wasn't he?

e:

https://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/issues/1040/mad-cow-disease/timeline-mad-cow-disease-outbreaks posted:

May 1995
Stephen Churchill, 19, becomes the first victim of a new version of Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (vCJD). His is one of three vCJD deaths in 1995.[i]

syscall girl fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 4, 2018

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

What happens if they're not dead, just empty sockets? Sorry I got halfway through changing it, don't charge me :v:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

twodot posted:

whenever I move apartment, I fill a couple of 50 gallon barrels with water and transport them to my new place. it gets me a couple months worth of water and the bill ends up not being my problem.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

A guy I'm working with emailed me a couple of things as QR codes and says he doesn't know how to send them any other way. I've never used QR codes before and have no idea how to translate them into... whatever they are. Is there a website or something I can use to do that? I'm not even sure what type of content to expect. I've just got these two .png images on my computer and no idea what to do with them.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Tiggum posted:

A guy I'm working with emailed me a couple of things as QR codes and says he doesn't know how to send them any other way. I've never used QR codes before and have no idea how to translate them into... whatever they are. Is there a website or something I can use to do that? I'm not even sure what type of content to expect. I've just got these two .png images on my computer and no idea what to do with them.

QR codes just encode a bit of text, usually a link to what you want. You usually scan them with phone cameras, but if you've got them on your computer you can upload them to a website like this (not an endorsement, just the first google result) to presumably do the same.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

QR codes just encode a bit of text, usually a link to what you want. You usually scan them with phone cameras, but if you've got them on your computer you can upload them to a website like this (not an endorsement, just the first google result) to presumably do the same.
Thanks, that website worked. :)

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Wtf is going on that a person would only know QR codes???

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Wtf is going on that a person would only know QR codes???

I have no idea what's up with this guy, he just seems to over-complicate everything. Like, we started out emailing but then he wanted to switch to WhatsApp - but half of us don't use that, so then he insisted we switch to a shared Google doc as a sort of super-inconvenient group-chat platform. I suggested Facebook but he wouldn't use that, even though he said he did have an account, he just didn't want to use it. And now instead of working on Google docs he's started some PowerPoint Online thing (that I've never used before) and sent me these links to some site called Padlet (as QR codes) that he's got some more stuff on. And all that on top of texting and phoning individual people about random poo poo instead of sending emails to the group. Nothing he does makes any sense to me.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

I have no idea what's up with this guy, he just seems to over-complicate everything. Like, we started out emailing but then he wanted to switch to WhatsApp - but half of us don't use that, so then he insisted we switch to a shared Google doc as a sort of super-inconvenient group-chat platform. I suggested Facebook but he wouldn't use that, even though he said he did have an account, he just didn't want to use it. And now instead of working on Google docs he's started some PowerPoint Online thing (that I've never used before) and sent me these links to some site called Padlet (as QR codes) that he's got some more stuff on. And all that on top of texting and phoning individual people about random poo poo instead of sending emails to the group. Nothing he does makes any sense to me.

I love this man. Can you send me a QR code so that I can meet him? He is the edge case of every webapp.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tiggum posted:

whatever work this dude is supposed to be doing, he's not going to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

A friend of mine is studying in the Ukraine, and they're currently being cheated by their landlord who is asking for gas and electric bills that are too expensive. Is there a Ukrainian equivalent of the UK's Citizens Advice Bureau? A number you can call up to get advice about particular problems? I've had issues with landlords in the past, and the CAB has always been really good help, but I can't find anything similar in the Ukraine.